Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get sassafras albidum?

Options
  • 22-01-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey,
    I love growing unusual plants - I've been on the lookout to give sassafras a go. It stands out to me for it's gruit potential and unusual foliage. But I can't find it anywhere (and brexit isn't helping since my usual suppliers of unusual plants aren't delivering to ROI at the moment) has anyone had any success with it in ireland or any source to try it?
    Every year I pick a unusual plant to try, and it has ranges from wildly successful like luffa gourds to fairly poor like sugar cane. And of course ongoing like giant redwood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Pat_b wrote: »
    Hey,
    I love growing unusual plants - I've been on the lookout to give sassafras a go. It stands out to me for it's gruit potential and unusual foliage. But I can't find it anywhere (and brexit isn't helping since my usual suppliers of unusual plants aren't delivering to ROI at the moment) has anyone had any success with it in ireland or any source to try it?
    Every year I pick a unusual plant to try, and it has ranges from wildly successful like luffa gourds to fairly poor like sugar cane. And of course ongoing like giant redwood.

Great idea with the unusual plant idea. Nothing too crazy but I'm going to try hardy Kiwis this year.

Interesting that the root can be used to extract safrole which is a precursor of MDMA

Here is a list of suppliers in the UK.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Nurseries-Search-Result?query=44746

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat_b

Thanks I've already looked into those sites.
    Unfortunately uk sites currently tend not to be delivering to ROI... And where it's possible it's often not feasible since it could be a lot g transportation time.

I'm a little bit aware of there being a drug connection with the plant bit tbh I dont really care about it as long as it isn't specifically illigal to grow since I've no Intention of ever using it for that. If anything I would be keen on the root beer part. But as I said as a gruit ingredient it has some interest on top of the I unusual nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Pat_b wrote: »
    Thanks I've already looked into those sites.
    Unfortunately uk sites currently tend not to be delivering to ROI... And where it's possible it's often not feasible since it could be a lot g transportation time.

I'm a little bit aware of there being a drug connection with the plant bit tbh I dont really care about it as long as it isn't specifically illigal to grow since I've no Intention of ever using it for that. If anything I would be keen on the root beer part. But as I said as a gruit ingredient it has some interest on top of the I unusual nature.

Think the root part has been banned for commercial root beer due to possible liver damage and cancer. Look into that yourself before trying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its becoming increasingly difficult (pretty much impossible) to get ordinary plants, I suggest you stop annoying yourself and give this season a miss :D! I have had to come to that conclusion for a number of not-at-all-unusual plants.

Mimon wrote: »
    Think the root part has been banned for commercial root beer due to possible liver damage and cancer. Look into that yourself before trying it :)
    Thanks,
    TBH the prospect of maybe brewing a batch in 5 years when a plant has matured enough it a bit far out for me. I have a feeling the bigger drive in banning it for commercial use is the regulation for its drug use. Seems the offending chemical is also found in smaller amounts in cinnamon and other plants etc. defiantly worth keeping note of the potential poison if adding it to something

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Its becoming increasingly difficult (pretty much impossible) to get ordinary plants, I suggest you stop annoying yourself and give this season a miss :D! I have had to come to that conclusion for a number of not-at-all-unusual plants.
    I really feel that :(
    I had to order chili seeds from Greece this year since the place i usually get it in the UK has stopped sending to EU, who knows if they will be viable by the time they get here.
    As much of a thought it is to just give it a miss... what else am I supposed to do :D Gardening is one of the few hobbies that can be done socially distanced and during lockdown. Besides throw it out there you never know who might know of somewhere local that can supply going forward, from the look of it getting plants from the UK could be unfeasible indefinitely :( which means ill need new sources anyway.
    I have a few experiments I picked up at the end of the summer to keep me busy (did cold hardy banana last year, thing grew 6 ft from seed in one season) - its a bit of fun to point out plants around the garden that you dont usually see everywhere

The other thing then is to specifically put eu in the search engine with whatever you are looking for. It sometimes works! Mostly you still get UK sites.

However https://www.pflanzmich.de/produkt/33620/nordamerikanischer-baum-sassafras.html here's a starting point!

Oh yay, they have Amelanchier at reasonable prices - the ones locally are silly money. *Starts putting list together!*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I was looking for seed for it and found two suppliers on ebay with postage the prices are steep for very small plants but if you really must have one?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Laurier-des-Iroquois-Sassafras-albidum-20cm/254726568951

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Fenchelholzbaum-Sassafras-albidum-Pflanze-25-30cm-Sassafrasbaum-Raritat/114575238664

Wake me up when it's all over.

Nice thanks :)
    Those all look like decent options, been rowing around a decent bit for both saassafras and other seed suppliers (its so hard to get anything :( )
    Most places are sold out or not delivering to ireland but these are some great options

• Advertisement

Update: Finally found some off http://www.rareplantsireland.ie/ and other unusual stuff.

Advertisement