Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s a sin C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've never seen the paranoia amongst the Community done like this either, it honestly never occured to me that two gay men that hadn't slept together would be looking at each other suspiciously when there was no information to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fairly depressing stuff, but how could it not be.....

It really is scarier then most horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There's a really good interview with Davies here.

Spoiler for article:
    The real life inspiration for Jill played her mother in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Every so often a film or mini-series comes along that has such an emotional impact on me that it has me reflecting for days after it. I think It's a Sin will play heavily on my mind for the next few weeks at least. Although I intended to watch it each week, I finished the series on All 4 two days ago, and I've been constantly thinking about it - in work, while out for a walk, while trying to watch other TV shows and so on. As other posters have mentioned, this topic has been well covered by other TV series and documentaries such as Angels in America, Tales of the City etc. But none have had anywhere near the profound emotional impact that this series has had (on me personally, at least). Maybe it's the fact that It's a Sin is much closer to home, or the turbulent Covid times we're currently going through, or just because it is a perfectly put together piece of work, but it is a truly heartbreaking watch. Or perhaps it's the fact that this miniseries is simply not just a piece of fiction, it is rooted in a cold, lonely and heartbreaking reality that we just can't leave behind.

Desperately Desperately sad. I knew going into this, that this was a miniseries about gay men in 1980s London so I knew exactly what to expect. But this series still managed to take me completely off-guard. It was just so touching and gut-wrenching and unbelievably upsetting.
    Each death in the show I found to be upsetting, but none more so than the protagonist, Ritchie. I was always hopeful for him. He managed to survive for so long with HIV/AIDS, he was so determined that he was going to overcome it. This gave me hope for him, only for it to be snuffed out in the end.

I think it was in the fourth episode that he went back to the Isle of Wight (I suspected to tell his family the bad news). He got cold feet though, leaving the house, telling his parents that he was going out to meet friends. Of course, he got to the pub, and this wasn't the case at all - there was no one there to greet him. I think this illustrated that there was nothing for him in his homeplace, and was possibly a foreshadow of what was to come in the future (i.e. as was mentioned many times in the show - when boys go home, never to be seen again). Ritchie did meet his secondary school crush in the bar, but this was sadly a dead end (although it was nice to see the genuine concern that he had for Ritchie).

Then of course, the 5th episode comes. Ritchie sadly becomes one of those boys I alluded to above. And it's just something I can't fathom - why did he go home? He loved London, and all of his friends there. Anyhow, he was brought back home and the mother wouldn't allow any of his friends to see him in his dying weeks and days. As the 4th episode highlighted, there wasn't anything for him in the Isle of Wight. Certainly no friends to speak of. Hell, when he asked his mother if his aunts or cousins would be coming to see him, she replied that none of the extended family had been even been told he was sick (not to mind with AIDS), and that it was none of their business. And added to this, the mother wasn't able to relate one bit to poor Ritchie about all the joys he had in London. This all highlighted the poignancy of the situation and highlighted how alone he was in dying, and indeed the imposed shame around him dying in this way.

It was just so sad that he had to die like that. So desperately sad. And it is sad because it was true. It was something which happened thousands of times over in that era.

Towards the end of the episode we were given hope. When Ritchie's mother asked to meet Jill and told her that he had asked to see her. Only to dash her hopes, and mine, by following that up with 'but he died yesterday morning'. The cruelty of that. The cruelty of his death.

I don't think I've articulated myself particularly well here, but it's difficult to put into words how this miniseries had made me feel and I hope ye understand my ramblings.

I read elsewhere that somebody put it to Russell T Davies what was it that he wanted to achieve, how he wanted people to feel after watching this show. He replied that he wanted people to miss the characters. I think he has achieved that goal completely and flawlessly. I'm in bits.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Every so often a film or mini-series comes along that has such an emotional impact on me that it has me reflecting for days after it. I think It's a Sin will play heavily on my mind for the next few weeks at least. Although I intended to watch it each week, I finished the series on All 4 two days ago, and I've been constantly thinking about it - in work, while out for a walk, while trying to watch other TV shows and so on. As other posters have mentioned, this topic has been well covered by other TV series and documentaries such as Angels in America, Tales of the City etc. But none have had anywhere near the profound emotional impact that this series has had (on me personally, at least). Maybe it's the fact that It's a Sin is much closer to home, or the turbulent Covid times we're currently going through, or just because it is a perfectly put together piece of work, but it is a truly heartbreaking watch. Or perhaps it's the fact that this miniseries is simply not just a piece of fiction, it is rooted in a cold, lonely and heartbreaking reality that we just can't leave behind.

Desperately Desperately sad. I knew going into this, that this was a miniseries about gay men in 1980s London so I knew exactly what to expect. But this series still managed to take me completely off-guard. It was just so touching and gut-wrenching and unbelievably upsetting.
    Each death in the show I found to be upsetting, but none more so than the protagonist, Ritchie. I was always hopeful for him. He managed to survive for so long with HIV/AIDS, he was so determined that he was going to overcome it. This gave me hope for him, only for it to be snuffed out in the end.

I think it was in the fourth episode that he went back to the Isle of Wight (I suspected to tell his family the bad news). He got cold feet though, leaving the house, telling his parents that he was going out to meet friends. Of course, he got to the pub, and this wasn't the case at all - there was no one there to greet him. I think this illustrated that there was nothing for him in his homeplace, and was possibly a foreshadow of what was to come in the future (i.e. as was mentioned many times in the show - when boys go home, never to be seen again). Ritchie did meet his secondary school crush in the bar, but this was sadly a dead end (although it was nice to see the genuine concern that he had for Ritchie).

Then of course, the 5th episode comes. Ritchie sadly becomes one of those boys I alluded to above. And it's just something I can't fathom - why did he go home? He loved London, and all of his friends there. Anyhow, he was brought back home and the mother wouldn't allow any of his friends to see him in his dying weeks and days. As the 4th episode highlighted, there wasn't anything for him in the Isle of Wight. Certainly no friends to speak of. Hell, when he asked his mother if his aunts or cousins would be coming to see him, she replied that none of the extended family had been even been told he was sick (not to mind with AIDS), and that it was none of their business. And added to this, the mother wasn't able to relate one bit to poor Ritchie about all the joys he had in London. This all highlighted the poignancy of the situation and highlighted how alone he was in dying, and indeed the imposed shame around him dying in this way.

It was just so sad that he had to die like that. So desperately sad. And it is sad because it was true. It was something which happened thousands of times over in that era.

Towards the end of the episode we were given hope. When Ritchie's mother asked to meet Jill and told her that he had asked to see her. Only to dash her hopes, and mine, by following that up with 'but he died yesterday morning'. The cruelty of that. The cruelty of his death.

I don't think I've articulated myself particularly well here, but it's difficult to put into words how this miniseries had made me feel and I hope ye understand my ramblings.

I read elsewhere that somebody put it to Russell T Davies what was it that he wanted to achieve, how he wanted people to feel after watching this show. He replied that he wanted people to miss the characters. I think he has achieved that goal completely and flawlessly. I'm in bits.

Check out the French movie 120 bpm if you want something similar... good but heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just finished it, wow. Think it's the first gay piece of art, literature, TV, stage etc that I've ever consumed but what an eye opener. I have no gay friends or really know anyone openly gay but I have read plenty about AIDS over the years.

Watched in 2 sittings, 3 last night and 2 this evening.
    Recommended to be by a work colleague that I thought had stitched me up by making me watch gay sex scenes in opening half episode or so but it turned into one of the most poignant, powerful pieces of entertainment I've ever watched.
    Characters so well developed in what is only a short miniseries, congrats to the writers and actors on that one. The Jill character was excellent, apparently very closely based on real person.
    Excellent soundtrack too, 80s music is the best.
    18 stone shaved head, bearded, sometimes emotional rugby player here fighting back tears at final scene. Will probably rewatch it to be honest. It will stick with me for long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭opus

Really enjoying this. I've managed to avoid binge watching it so not finished yet. Some mix of feelgood & depressing with a sense of dread as to what's coming in the last two episodes. Loving the sound track as some people have mentioned as well.

Total aside is that it's made me even more determined to see the Pet Shop Boys live as had tickets for a concert in Germany last Summer which needless to say bit the dust. Haven't given up yet!

Check out the French movie 120 bpm if you want something similar... good but heavy

I will add it to the list. But I think I'll need to give it a while before I can take on something so heavy again.
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Just finished it, wow. Think it's the first gay piece of art, literature, TV, stage etc that I've ever consumed but what an eye opener. I have no gay friends or really know anyone openly gay but I have read plenty about AIDS over the years.

Watched in 2 sittings, 3 last night and 2 this evening.
    Recommended to be by a work colleague that I thought had stitched me up by making me watch gay sex scenes in opening half episode or so but it turned into one of the most poignant, powerful pieces of entertainment I've ever watched.
    Characters so well developed in what is only a short miniseries, congrats to the writers and actors on that one. The Jill character was excellent, apparently very closely based on real person.
    Excellent soundtrack too, 80s music is the best.
    18 stone shaved head, bearded, sometimes emotional rugby player here fighting back tears at final scene. Will probably rewatch it to be honest. It will stick with me for long time to come.

Yeah, I held out reasonably well until the last scene, that's when I lost it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Rothmans wrote: »
    I will add it to the list. But I think I'll need to give it a while before I can take on something so heavy again.

Yeah, I held out reasonably well until the last scene, that's when I lost it :(

Yes, early on I wasn't as invested but as you got deeper into the world they were living in, get to know the characters and probably become more compassionate to them as humans, the emotion came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Watched the 1st episode on Channel 4 last week and binged the rest of it today with my husband and kids. It’s an incredible piece of tele, not just from a dramatic point of view but as a social history. My kids are still finding it hard to believe how AIDS was a literal death sentence. I’m not the better for it. I’m bawling writing this. I hope it wins every award going and I hope people never forget how awful society treated gay people and those infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have just watched episode 3 and I am bawling here, didn't see that one coming but won't give it away.

It is an unbelievable programme. So powerful. I think we sometimes forget how difficult it was for people who were gay back in 1980s.

Most of them were shunned by their families or couldnt tell them their secret and their friends meant everything to them and then to be shunned again by society because they have aids its heartbreaking.

The characters are so well developed. I love all of them and Jill is a great addition so not just all the lads.

I'm sure there are more tears to come ill watch final two episodes tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought Keeley Hawes was outstanding in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

spurious wrote: »
    I thought Keeley Hawes was outstanding in this.

Absolutely, she didn’t have much to do until the final episode but Jesus Christ did she do it well. She’s excellent at playing a very complicated character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah Jesus noooooooooooooo.

That last episode was absolutely horrific.

That was not the ending I wanted for that character.

Devasted for them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Brilliant series. I discovered Jills character was based on a real person, also called Jill.
    The real Jill played fictional Jills mum in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Excellent series but that finale was a real tear jerker - both of us in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

I binge-watched this as well and thought it was terrific. I didn't want it to end
    even though Colin and Ritchie died
    and found myself wondering what happened to
    Ash, Roscoe and Jill
    afterwards. In some ways I saw parallels with Covid, especially when nobody knew exactly how HIV was transmitted and there were people locked in isolation wards. Then there were the characters who had had sex with each other wondering if they were infectious.
    Ritchie's death was cruel. But in a weird way, I'm glad they didn't resort to a clichéd ending for him with his friends making it to his bedside in time. I thought the use of silence when his mother told Jill that he had died was very effective too.

On a lighter note I loved that they wrote a Dr. Who scene into it and that they recreated the style of TV picture that was around in that era. The soundtrack and score were spot on too. The cast was uniformly excellent and I hope we'll see these new faces do more good work in the future. The one actor I'd not have cast on it was Stephen Fry. I can't say that he was terrible or anything but he just seemed to be Stephen Fry doing Stephen Fry, parachuted into an intense drama.

Tork wrote: »
    The one actor I'd not have cast on it was Stephen Fry. I can't say that he was terrible or anything but he just seemed to be Stephen Fry doing Stephen Fry, parachuted into an intense drama.

I believe it's a reference to scandals involving members of the UK government at the time. There were multiple rumours about multiple people at the time. I think Mellor was one.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I believe it's a reference to scandals involving members of the UK government at the time. There were multiple rumours about multiple people at the time. I think Mellor was one.
    The character was fine. It was the casting of Stephen Fry that I found jarring.

• Advertisement

I think he was well cast. Played the part but was also around on the scene at the time (can't recall when he was in prison for fraud).

I am sure he has his own stories to tell. He has done multiple things for AIDS charities over the years.

I remember his face on posters in the gay clubs/pubs in Edinburgh when I first came out in the mid 90s warning us. Edinburgh was the AIDS capital of Europe at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Probably as much to do with casting gay actors to play gay characters as RTD said he wanted even tho that character was not "gay"

The sexuality of the actors had nothing to do with it. I just thought Stephen Fry was too famous and too Stephen Fry-ish for this. I wasn't familiar with most of the rest of the cast and that's partly what sucked me into that world. Then next thing, there's that bloke off QI playing at being an MP.

Anyway, it's a minor quibble. Overall it was superb and I came away thinking "what a waste". The phrase "gone home" took on a haunting meaning too. It also served as a fine history lesson for people who don't remember the AIDS crisis, the scary TV ads, Thatcher's Section 28, the fear, the hopelessness and the homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭cozar

the scene where Ritchie's mum was in the tea room with Jill and another mother challenges her about not knowing her son was gay. "what the fcuk were you looking at for 30 years". one of many outstanding scenes.

Watched all five episodes last night. Very good show, obviously very sad and thought-provoking. Thought the cast as a whole was very good but particularly Lydia West as Jill was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm watching these sparingly because I absolutely love it.
    Episode 3
    absolutely broke me, the guy playing Colin was so adorable. I am delighted his friends rallied round him and that his mum was so supportive. I knew it would be the flipping guy in the house he had been in. Also loved the fierce lawyer character! I guess the last two eps will cover whether Ritchie was positive or not...but it isn't looking good...
    terrific show so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Absolutely brilliant. Some scenes very hard to watch, very emotional.

Great acting, but also loved the soundtrack and fashion, really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

haven't seen it as yet, are the sex scenes explicit?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched it all yesterday, it's an incredible piece of television. Still thinking about it today.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    haven't seen it as yet, are the sex scenes explicit?

I don't recall seeing a single penis, if that's any help to you?

Advertisement