Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s a sin C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can epilepsy be brought on by aids?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, AIDS can cause headaches, seizures and dementia.

Freddie Mercury's 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' is about his own mental deterioration in the final stages of AIDS.
    I’m still a mess today. Honestly it’s been a long time since a tv show has moved me that much. I just adored it.
    I am still thinking about the characters over a week after finishing this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm certain that I've seen epilepsy portrayed in AIDs before. It was more Colin's hospital bed behaviour that took me aback. Terrible that it robbed people of their wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

First time I've cried at something on TV in years. Had to take a break for a few days after episode 3 before I was ready to finish. Definitely RTD's masterpiece imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

So nice to read through this thread. We finished It's a Sin last week and I've honestly been unable to stop thinking about it since. It was simply heartbreaking. My mother's uncle died in London from HIV related complications in 1988, entirely estranged from his biological family but surrounded by his chosen family. His death was only discussed after my first cousin came out in the early 2000s. Three of us from that set of cousins are out. Selfishly I have been consumed with immense guilt over the last week, thinking about my mother's uncle and his peers who were cast aside by their families, including my own. This post is just a ramble but yeah, it's a fantastic piece of writing and production.

• Advertisement

as bad as things were for gays in the UK at that time, imagine what it was like in holy catholic ireland back then,,,the intolerance, the ignorance

i remember the slurs towards gays "yer man a aids carrier"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Episode 1 started areir. It's very funny and quirky.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Finished it earlier. Didn't see that coming.

Had the best music in it, that's for sure.

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Just finished after a 5 episode binge. Outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

den87 wrote: »
    Just finished after a 5 episode binge. Outstanding.

I did the same last weekend, still in my head since. Best series I’ve watched since ... I actually can’t remember. SO brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

The show does a wonderful job of creating these fleshed out real characters. They feel like people I know. The dynamic between them feels real and familiar. The show was really fun at times. Of course that made the show even more tragic. The deaths more poignant.

Richie was such a well thought out character. I didn't particularly find him likeable but I don't think he was meant to be. He was outgoing, a little obnoxious, self centred but also funny and caring at times. I know people like him.
    His death in the end was so cruel. I found myself routing for him the whole way. I hoped he wouldn't test positive. I hoped he would be one of the few from that time that survived. I hoped that he would pass away peacefully surrounded by his friends. Unfortunately his death was as real as his character. I finished this a week ago and his death has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

HeyV wrote: »
    I did the same last weekend, still in my head since. Best series I’ve watched since ... I actually can’t remember. SO brilliant.

Been in my head all day. Sitting down and bingeing it in one night, not being able to go to bed until I finished it is genuinely one of my favourite tv watching experiences (if that even makes sense). The ending is a gut punch that left me reeling.
    Is it my favourite tv show? Probably not but if I sat down and made a list it’s probably top 10.

I’d gladly rewatch it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

Highly recommend. Thumbs up to channel 4 for taking this on when others wouldn’t and for shining a light on this subject. It’s a programme that will live long in the memory.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Watched Episode 4 last night. Very moving.

Just brilliant, moving and very poignant. I know what’s going to happen pretty much in the final episode now but at the same time, I wish some sort of miracle might happen. But I know it won’t.

It’s A Sin has left a big mark on me already and that is a sign of brilliant drama. This show should be used in sex education in schools, it shows that widespread homophobia, shame, stigma, fear and ignorance made the 1980s/90s HIV/AIDS crisis much worse than it might have otherwise been. The gay men (they were so very young really) who died in their droves must never be forgotten.

There is a salutary lesson for society in Its A Sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭NSAman

What a fantastic series!

Available on HBO here in the States today and watched it all this evening.

Characters were just superbly evolved.

I won’t spoil the ending but seriously “got” me.

If only all TV were this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

What a show! Such an emotional rollercoaster. LOVED it! Deep and multi-faceted characters accompanied by excellent acting with such nuanced storylines. It really tugged at the heartstrings and nailed the brutality of the illness.

The amazing soundtrack completes it.

10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭cozar

Soundtrack on Spotify:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭Be right back

What a show! Such an emotional rollercoaster. LOVED it! Deep and multi-faceted characters accompanied by excellent acting with such nuanced storylines. It really tugged at the heartstrings and nailed the brutality of the illness.

The amazing soundtrack completes it.

10/10.

Keeley Hawes was brilliant in tonight's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Absolutely brilliant series from start to finish , extremely moving last episode tonight , am sad it's over tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Keeley Hawes was brilliant in tonight's episode.

Brilliant indeed - just wanted to slap her around the place, and surprised to find myself having more sympathy for the dad than for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

It's a Sin -What a poignant masterpiece. Another programme, although it didnt deal with Aids, but was very nostalgic for me as a young university student, was BBC's This Life. It was equally brilliant.( on you tube)

A whole generation of young people tragically lost to Aids. There are some good contemporaneous documentaries on you tube. I found the documentary about London Lighthouse, which was a hospice for Aids, quite moving. There are Irish patients and nurses featured in the London Lighthouse documentary. The hospice was very far sighted in how they approached Aids and very patient- focussed, not one bit clinical. Nurses didnt wear uniforms and were more like friends.

It seems as if both Regan and Thatcher wanted to turn a blind eye to the issue, until forced to act. They saw Aids victims as dispensible. Their inaction in even launching an education campaign at an earlier stage was bordering on evil.

Is this generation complacent about contracting Aids? The anti-retroviral medications are not without side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just watched the first episode, absolutely fantastic. I know it's gonna be a tough one, the music is fantastic. Love Keeley Hawes ever since Ashes to Ashes.
    Having a family member who almost died from aids makes it a bit harder to watch but thats life. Luckily they're doing well thanks to modern medicine and St. James hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Brilliant indeed - just wanted to slap her around the place, and surprised to find myself having more sympathy for the dad than for her.

I thought this was such an interesting twist. Clear that the dad was trying to atone for his behaviour and show love in Richie's final chapter whereas the mum just couldn't handle the truth. The scene in the hospital is just so ..raw....and amazing.

And I actually gasped at the end at the pier. Such a brilliant scene.

You can tell I loved this show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭NSAman

The Missus watched this with me. A normally hard nose business woman, not prone to bursts of emotion (unless I don’t put the toilet seat down or put the cap back on the toothpaste).

Last night she was in tears. When I asked her what was wrong, she stated she had been thinking about that program. I didn’t realise that a program could bring back memories from the 80’s. Seems that someone close had died in the 80’s and old feelings had been stirred.

Needless to say something snapped and it all came flooding back.

First time, I have ever experienced this with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Up as far as episode 3, it's brilliant, hard to watch isn't it? So sad the way they were treated. Brings back memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I found Richie's parents equally pitiful. The father's stupid bluster fell to pieces as you knew it would while the mother fell into this weird zone of indignation because another woman knew her son better than she did to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just finished watching this over the last few nights. Wow, absolutely brilliant. One of the best shows I've ever watched. I loved how it was set over the course of a few years and you got to see the characters grow up, at first coming into themselves as young gay men, then absolutely loving life and living the life they all wanted, the struggles of finding work, paying rent, living in a world that being gay was so frowned upon at the time.

I had obviously heard about Aids and its severity but its not something I ever thought about and how scary it must have been at the time. I agree with whoever said it felt a little bit more real due to the current situation with Covid and how that started as something on the other side of the world before ending up on your doorstep.

I'm another who hasn't been able to stop thinking about it and the characters even after finishing it. Amazing show and the soundtrack was a belter.

that was a twist wasn't it, you'd expect he'd be the very one angry & disappointed but it was the other way around

btw - did aids really cause lesions to the face? what a truly horrible way to die ...is it under control now or is it still a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

For anyone that didn't get to see it, Jill Naldar was interviewed on Elaine on Wednesday. Should be able to watch it on player. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bredabe

fryup wrote: »
    that was a twist wasn't it, you'd expect he'd be the very one angry & disappointed but it was the other way around

btw - did aids cause really legions to the face? what a truly horrible way to die ...is it under control now or is it still a concern

The lesions were Posey's sarcoma which was only seen in AIDS patients and a giveaway at the time.

There are significantly fewer cases of AIDS in the western world as there are drugs available to halt the* virus at the HIV stage. There are now prophylactic treatments available as well.

In African countries, the above is sadly not the case and is rampant there.

*strictly speaking those drugs keep the amount of virus in the system down so low as to make passing the virus on(in most cases) almost impossible while halting in most cases the conversion of HIV to AIDS.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Advertisement