Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s a sin C4

Options

Comments

have to say that I found the main character Ritchie an unsympathetic character on the whole - spent most of the time on screen ripping the piss out of his so-called mates but they all "loved" him

and the cop-out for him knowingly infecting other men with the then death sentence of HIV was because he himself was ashamed or something - nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

glasso wrote: »
    have to say that I found the main character Ritchie an unsympathetic character on the whole - spent most of the time on screen ripping the piss out of his so-called mates but they all "loved" him

and the cop-out for him knowingly infecting other men with the then death sentence of HIV was because he himself was ashamed or something - nah.

It wasn't a cop out as you put it, he was the HIV equivalent of our anti maskers, and yes to feel guilty that he denied being hiv positive and giving it to others does happen. Denial is a powerful and ultimately a very destructive emotion, from personal experience I thought it was very well portrayed. Would find it difficult to watch again tbh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_transmission_of_HIV

rightly he'd end up in gaol these days for that now, "denial" or not

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It wasn't a cop out as you put it, he was the HIV equivalent of our anti maskers, and yes to feel guilty that he denied being hiv positive and giving it to others does happen. Denial is a powerful and ultimately a very destructive emotion, from personal experience I thought it was very well portrayed. Would find it difficult to watch again tbh.
    Jill ->

"He was ashamed,
    and he kept on being ashamed.

He kept the shame going
    by having sex with men,

infecting them
    and then running away."

Shame cited as the reason in the script, not denial.

They couldn't have possibly made it any clearer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Shame cited as the reason in the script, not denial.

They couldn't have possibly made it any clearer really.

He was in denial earlier, he knew he had gotten HIV and chickened out of getting tested, eventually denial gave way to guilt and shame as he realised the enormity of what he had done. I thought it was very well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i didn't warm to him either, mainly cause he reminded me of this bitchy gay i used to work with, alway making snide/mean remarks about people...."oh but isn't he a character" others would say in his defence....to which i would reply "no he's a b@llocks"

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Bredabe wrote: »
    The lesions were Posey's sarcoma which was only seen in AIDS patients and a giveaway at the time.

There are significantly fewer cases of AIDS in the western world as there are drugs available to halt the* virus at the HIV stage. There are now prophylactic treatments available as well.

In African countries, the above is sadly not the case and is rampant there.

*strictly speaking those drugs keep the amount of virus in the system down so low as to make passing the virus on(in most cases) almost impossible while halting in most cases the conversion of HIV to AIDS.

I would wish to correct the record:

It's Kaposi's Sarcoma- a rare Cancer. ( not Posey's Sarcoma).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭cozar

Larry Kramer sky documentary great insight into Aids in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bredabe

[PHP][/PHP]
    Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I would wish to correct the record:

It's Kaposi's Sarcoma- a rare Cancer. ( not Posey's Sarcoma).
    Genuinely curious, is there a difference between the two, beyond spelling or local usage?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]
    Genuinely curious, is there a difference between the two, beyond spelling or local usage?

No such thing as Posey's sarcoma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bredabe

No such thing as Posey's sarcoma
    So, common usage issues then. thanks for clarifying that for me.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

myself and the Mrs finished this last night , just do not get all of the hype ?

most of the characters were not explored in any depth , the Jill character had no life of her own and lived vicariously through the other characters , as my other half said it was like a teen drama only with explicit content

5 out of 10

Mad_maxx wrote: »

most of the characters were not explored in any depth , as my other half said it was like a teen drama only with explicit content

5 out of 10

the question is - will you be buying a "La" T-shirt?

most of the characters were not explored in any depth , the Jill character had no life of her own and lived vicariously through the other characters , as my other half said it was like a teen drama only with explicit content

5 out of 10

I agree it was over hyped.

I agree it was over hyped.

no exploration of the indian character , the welsh guy who died first was the most likeable though he was a complete welsh valleys stereotype for the most part .

the guy of nigerian descent was just a cliched screaming queen and his story involving Stephen Fry was stupid beyond belief , the bit with Mrs Thatcher was ridiculous .

the Jill character was like the reverse version of the gay guy who hangs around with a bunch of girls in school , we knew not a single thing about her , she existed for no reason whatsoever other than to support or help out the gay guys she lived with

the bit with the mother of one of the patients tearing into Keely Hawes was also stupid , why did she care so much in the first place that a woman she never met failed to spot that her son was gay ? , the Hawes woman was a silly woman of the highest order but thats not the point

the bit where the lead character went back to his home town and met his school friend was well done , as was the bit at the very end where the Jill character was using the hawes character as a metaphor for society as a whole where she accuses hawes of it being her fault. , overall though the Hawes character was kicked around too much , her son acted recklessly and was more or less given a pass. his friends acted responsibly early on.

it wasnt bad but its horrendously over praised , some going so far in print as to say it will be difficult for any show to top it in 2021

gimme a break

no exploration of the indian character , the welsh guy who died first was the most likeable though he was a complete welsh valleys stereotype for the most part .

the guy of nigerian descent was just a cliched screaming queen and his story involving Stephen Fry was stupid beyond belief , the bit with Mrs Thatcher was ridiculous .

the Jill character was like the reverse version of the gay guy who hangs around with a bunch of girls in school , we knew not a single thing about her , she existed for no reason whatsoever other than to support or help out the gay guys she lived with

the bit with the mother of one of the patients tearing into Keely Hawes was also stupid , why did she care so much in the first place that a woman she never met failed to spot that her son was gay ? , the Hawes woman was a silly woman of the highest order but thats not the point

the bit where the lead character went back to his home town and met his school friend was well done , as was the bit at the very end where the Jill character was using the hawes character as a metaphor for society as a whole where she accuses hawes of it being her fault. , overall though the Hawes character was kicked around too much , her son acted recklessly and was more or less given a pass. his friends acted responsibly early on.

it wasnt bad but its horrendously over praised , some going so far in print as to say it will be difficult for any show to top it in 2021

gimme a break

Would Jill be properly termed a " fag hag"?

I agree that It's a Sin was not as good as the raving reviews portrayed it. Programmes like BBC 's This Life ( available on you tube) were vastly superior in my opinion.

The good thing about Its a Sin is it shone a light on the appalling way gay people and heterosexual people hit by Aids were treated by both society and the establishment, ignored and shunned and left to die. The whole issue of Aids pandemic was initially ignored and swept under the carpet by Thatcher, Regan et al.

"This life" - that was a superb portrayal of the post-university experience and was a seminal piece of tv.

"It's a sin" seems lightweight in comparison, putting aside the HIV/AIDS and homosexual themes.

Would Jill be properly termed a " fag hag"?

I agree that It's a Sin was not as good as the raving reviews portrayed it. Programmes like BBC 's This Life ( available on you tube) were vastly superior in my opinion.

The good thing about Its a Sin is it shone a light on the appalling way gay people and heterosexual people hit by Aids were treated by both society and the establishment, ignored and shunned and left to die. The whole issue of Aids pandemic was initially ignored and swept under the carpet by Thatcher, Regan et al.

Mark Ruffallo starred in a far better Aids drama a number of years ago, HBO production

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

How graphic are the gay sex scenes/sex scenes in general in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

"This life" - that was a superb portrayal of the post-university experience and was a seminal piece of tv.

"It's a sin" seems lightweight in comparison, putting aside the HIV/AIDS and homosexual themes.

Would agree. I watched it’s a sin and to me it seemed childish. It was like a drama aimed at the after school teenage crowd.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

they are very graphic but nearly all in the first episode , after that , its nothing too out of the ordinary

ShineOn7 wrote: »

think Brokeback Mountain

fryup wrote: »
    think Brokeback Mountain

I've never seen it :pac:

think Milk then

think Milk then

the one with sean penn ?

like Bert and ernie by comparison

were Bert & Ernie gay?

hmmm come to think of it they did sleep together

think Milk then

Haven't seen it since it was out in 2008 and I don't remember a single scene

Probably best I just give It's A Sin a go and see for myself if it's too much

• Advertisement

here then watch the end of this video and you'll have an idea

Advertisement