Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s a sin C4

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How graphic are the gay sex scenes/sex scenes in general in this?

No more graphic than the average post-watershed drama. Far less graphic than the TV adaptation of Normal People.

I felt there should have been more episodes, or perhaps slightly longer episodes. It all seemed a bit rushed. It was quite good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

.anon. wrote: »
    No more graphic than the average post-watershed drama. Far less graphic than the TV adaptation of Normal People.

I felt there should have been more episodes, or perhaps slightly longer episodes. It all seemed a bit rushed. It was quite good though.

" far less graphic than normal people "

i dont remember any scenes in normal people where one character requested that the other clean their a hole so as they could bang ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    " far less graphic than normal people "

i dont remember any scenes in normal people where one character requested that the other clean their a hole so as they could bang ?

He used the words "you need a good wash". Hardly graphic. Indeed, far less graphic than your post.

.anon. wrote: »
    He used the words "you need a good wash". Hardly graphic. Indeed, far less graphic than your post.

a lot more than that was said

a lot more than that was said

I've only seen it the once, maybe you've seen it more times than me, but it was less graphic than your post. Not worth getting fixated over, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

no exploration of the indian character , the welsh guy who died first was the most likeable though he was a complete welsh valleys stereotype for the most part .

the guy of nigerian descent was just a cliched screaming queen and his story involving Stephen Fry was stupid beyond belief , the bit with Mrs Thatcher was ridiculous .

the Jill character was like the reverse version of the gay guy who hangs around with a bunch of girls in school , we knew not a single thing about her , she existed for no reason whatsoever other than to support or help out the gay guys she lived with

the bit with the mother of one of the patients tearing into Keely Hawes was also stupid , why did she care so much in the first place that a woman she never met failed to spot that her son was gay ? , the Hawes woman was a silly woman of the highest order but thats not the point

the bit where the lead character went back to his home town and met his school friend was well done , as was the bit at the very end where the Jill character was using the hawes character as a metaphor for society as a whole where she accuses hawes of it being her fault. , overall though the Hawes character was kicked around too much , her son acted recklessly and was more or less given a pass. his friends acted responsibly early on.

it wasnt bad but its horrendously over praised , some going so far in print as to say it will be difficult for any show to top it in 2021

gimme a break

Some reasonable analysis there.

5 episodes was a strange number - I wonder if there was budgetary issues as this is the sort of thing which usually has 6 or 8.
    It seemed a mighty big decade-long story to try fit into 220 minutes.

Couple of comments -
    Jill was strangely written alright. How simple would it have been to give her a different boyfriend every episode and a 90 second scene with him? The boyfriend who got on great with the rest of the house, the one who was very wary of 'the gays', the boring sensible one that everyone else hated etc. Just to give a bit of extra life to her character.

Your comment about the woman in the hospital tearing into Richie's mum (Keeley Hawes) and why did she gave a damn about Hawes characters shortcomings as a mother...
    Maybe I got too meta about this but my interpretation was that this woman was projecting - she hadn't spotted the exact same situation with her own child and was taking out her self anger on someone else. Maybe that's too deep and a misread.

As for Hawes character being a 'silly woman', I think it was definitely indicated that she'd had a sexually abusive childhood ('your grandad was a terrible man') which may or may not be a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How graphic are the gay sex scenes/sex scenes in general in this?

If you have to ask that, the show is probably not for you.

Zhane wrote: »
    If you have to ask that, the show is probably not for you

Silly reply

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't think its a silly reply,

if someone is easily offended then this series isn't for them

fryup wrote: »
    i don't think its a silly reply,

if someone is easily offended then this series isn't for them

who said they might be " offended "

I dont like seeing two men at it on screen myself , nothing unusual about it , i can still enjoy a good drama though so simply look away during the explicit scenes , plenty of people enjoy horror movies but need to look away thee odd time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Zhane wrote: »
    If you have to ask that, the show is probably not for you

Silly reply

How is it a silly reply?

If the poster is uneasy watching gay sex or straight sex then the show like many others won’t be for them? There’s quite a bit of it in there. I would say the same for other shows with the same amount of sexual activity tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

no exploration of the indian character , the welsh guy who died first was the most likeable though he was a complete welsh valleys stereotype for the most part .

the guy of nigerian descent was just a cliched screaming queen and his story involving Stephen Fry was stupid beyond belief , the bit with Mrs Thatcher was ridiculous .

the Jill character was like the reverse version of the gay guy who hangs around with a bunch of girls in school , we knew not a single thing about her , she existed for no reason whatsoever other than to support or help out the gay guys she lived with

the bit with the mother of one of the patients tearing into Keely Hawes was also stupid , why did she care so much in the first place that a woman she never met failed to spot that her son was gay ? , the Hawes woman was a silly woman of the highest order but thats not the point

the bit where the lead character went back to his home town and met his school friend was well done , as was the bit at the very end where the Jill character was using the hawes character as a metaphor for society as a whole where she accuses hawes of it being her fault. , overall though the Hawes character was kicked around too much , her son acted recklessly and was more or less given a pass. his friends acted responsibly early on.

it wasnt bad but its horrendously over praised , some going so far in print as to say it will be difficult for any show to top it in 2021

gimme a break

I enjoyed it as a bit of distraction during lockdown but agree with all you say there. Struck me that there was no global lockdown for a deadly disease like aids, no ban on sex, just use a condom and get on with it.

I enjoyed it as a bit of distraction during lockdown but agree with all you say there. Struck me that there was no global lockdown for a deadly disease like aids, no ban on sex, just use a condom and get on with it.

truly bizarre comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I have a friend in England who worked with AIDS patients back in the 80s. She nursed many (including people she had formed strong friendships with) until the bitter end and did what little she could to console them. Even hearing some of the songs in the soundtrack was enough to bring it back to her and, as such, she's not been able to watch the show herself.

I did watch it and thought it was brilliantly done. IMO, they managed to balance the emotional impact of the men's suffering, while not being gratuitous in the depiction of their decline. But I still understand why people like the friend I mentioned would find this show too hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just finished watching this last night. Absolutely brilliant and so sad. Had a chat with my Mother about it and she’s now going to watch it too. She was saying she had a friend that died of AIDS in the early 90’s which I never knew about. We lived in London in the 80’s and early 90’s. The way she speaks about it sounds exactly how it was portrayed in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Watched this over the last few days and I was hooked.

It packs a punch and provides a good range of characters.

There were two scenes that stood out for me. Forgive my vague summaries but I'm on my phone so can't put spoiler tags.

The end of episode two was quite harrowing. I could see it coming but they way they showed it was quite raw.

And in episode three with Colin and Ritchie. It felt at first like a bit of comic relief but it's actually quite grim. I cursed Russel Davies for it because it played on our expectations but actually turned it around. I felt guilty for laughing once I realised how serious it really was.

It's not perfect (the Thatcher bit was a bit silly and I thought Stephen Fry's character could have had more to him or was he just so deep in denial that he came off that way?) and other parts did seem a bit rushed (though that might also be part of the show's point). Some of the foreshadowing was a bit too obvious, though I do feel the characters developed well.

Colin, Jill, Ritchie and his ma were all good performances. I liked Ash a lot as well.

EDIT: I feel that the timinng of its release helped this be such a success. People still in lockdown so plenty of time to watch it but in the last year we have become used to the images of patients being separated from families and dying alone, the suspicion of something that we don't know about and how quickly it spreads and takes people with it, even the moments of fearful scrubbing and stressing about hygiene or how it can be transmitted. At other times in the last thirty years, that wouldn't have resonated as much with non-LGBT audiences but now we all have experiences of that and it's much easier.to empathise with what unfolds onscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is on RTE 2 next Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

More of my money wasted by RTE on a show thats availabe for free on the all 4 app. But thans for the reminder. Its worth watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,456 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

I meant to watch this when it was released but the ad's didn't really interest me.

I sat down with intention of watching one episode last night and watched all five.

Whilst I knew a bit about AIDS I had know idea how bad it actually was.

I think Jill is my all time favourite character in a program.

What a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,864 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic series..

... even managing to make Olly Alexander temporarily bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,456 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It was, what happened to Colin really shocked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Be right back

Advertisement