Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been fined and will you pay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

quokula wrote: »
    You think everything is the government's fault for not closing the airports before anyone knew how serious it was,

No, I think everything is the government's fault because they didn't close the airports in July when we had 9 cases per day at one stage. If we had done that, no, we wouldn't be Australia/ NZ, we would, however, be at a stage of socially distanced pubs, reduced attendance sports events, reduced attendance gigs etc. Our useless shiet of a government instead has bumbled through from one disaster to another, exploiting the situation for their own ends all the way.
    while you also think freely crossing the land border we have with one of the most infected countries on the planet has no impact?

Were you quite as offended when late last summer Romania was one of the worst affected countries in Europe and the virus was brought back, and into communities, via meat plant workers?

Course you weren't. Go to a Romanian wedding all you want. Take a brief round trip to the North while interacting, at some distance, with a single individual, you're literally Hitler.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    There isnt much hope for you if you cant find 1 honest mechanic in Dublin, a city with a population of 500,000 lol. you dont need a chain garage, a 1 man garage could do a service for you and fix your car. driving all the way to newry for a garage, talk about paranoid.

Why bother hunting if I already have one? Why take the risk?

Listen, if some people are happy enough to take a financial hit for the incompetence of people on six figure sums, knock yourselves out.

Until last August I followed every rule of lockdown to a T. When I saw that nobody else was, and considered the airport situation, and considered the lies the government told us, I gave up caring beyond taking the most basic measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Waste management is essential.

Waste management is essential. Not every trip to a waste management facility is essential.

It's not that complicated lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Listen, if some people are happy enough to take a financial hit for the incompetence of people on six figure sums, knock yourselves out.

Until last August I followed every rule of lockdown to a T. When I saw that nobody else was, and considered the airport situation, and considered the lies the government told us, I gave up caring beyond taking the most basic measures.

So you're ok with spreading the virus,
    and causing the hospitals to be at breaking point,
    and for a lot of people to die prematurely,
    as long as you're ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

secman wrote: »
    Yeah its a well known fact thst lone cyclists have caused thousands and thousands and thousands probably millions of covid19 cases......

Whoosh.

That's you, missing the point of restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

PintOfView wrote: »
    So you're ok with spreading the virus,
    and causing the hospitals to be at breaking point,
    and for a lot of people to die prematurely,
    as long as you're ok?

I'm not.

That's why at Christmas I very reluctantly turned down three pub sessions with about 20 people and settled for three visits with me and herself.

Car maintenance is essential. In the period I got it done the community in Dublin had been seeded with the post Christmas surge already. Probably less risk of catching it up the north by then. Currently the rate is higher here than the north. By your logic if my NCT was next week I'd be placing the public at risk by not going to the north instead of going to a garage in the COVID infested south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

I'm not.

That's why at Christmas I very reluctantly turned down three pub sessions with about 20 people and settled for three visits with me and herself.

Car maintenance is essential. In the period I got it done the community in Dublin had been seeded with the post Christmas surge already. Probably less risk of catching it up the north by then. Currently the rate is higher here than the north. By your logic if my NCT was next week I'd be placing the public at risk by not going to the north instead of going to a garage in the COVID infested south.

Right so, by your logic, you were heading up north and were a risk to the good people of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Still sticking to the rules so no chance of a fine.
    I don’t like it any more than anyone else but that’s life at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

laoisgem wrote: »
    I suppose the missus doesn't have a phone either :rolleyes:

Can't send meds down a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No, I think everything is the government's fault because they didn't close the airports in July when we had 9 cases per day at one stage. If we had done that, no, we wouldn't be Australia/ NZ, we would, however, be at a stage of socially distanced pubs, reduced attendance sports events, reduced attendance gigs etc. Our useless shiet of a government instead has bumbled through from one disaster to another, exploiting the situation for their own ends all the way.

Were you quite as offended when late last summer Romania was one of the worst affected countries in Europe and the virus was brought back, and into communities, via meat plant workers?

Course you weren't. Go to a Romanian wedding all you want. Take a brief round trip to the North while interacting, at some distance, with a single individual, you're literally Hitler.

Why bother hunting if I already have one? Why take the risk?

You do realise your actions and those like you are extending this fooking lockdown for everyone. Ffs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Phoebas wrote: »
    Waste management is essential. Not every trip to a waste management facility is essential.

Of course it is. What are they mean to do, leave it outside to rot in the rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

I'm not.

Sorry, I might have been a bit hard on you there, I know you're probably doing your best.
    The thing is this virus will beat us and the government if we don't all muck in and help out.

It only takes two weeks to kill the virus, but we've been in lockdown for nearly 4 weeks, and it's still spreading.
    It's not being spread by those that stay at home, and who are staying away from others!
    It's being spread by people who think that it can't happen to them, so they go out and mix.

No more than you, I don't like being locked down.
    How do you think I feel seeing others ignoring the lockdown,
    and then spreading the virus and making the lockdown longer for all of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The vast majority of us have kept to the rules so far.

The only reason why the Gardai can enforce the rules is because the vast majority of people accept them.

Once the rest of Europe is opening up in April and we havent even vaccinated the over 70s people will be fed up and give up on the rules.

incorrect, the reason the gardai can enforce the rules is because they are the gards and have the legislation to back them up.
    if the majority didn't accept the rules, they could and would still enforce them, they wouldn't just go away, the penalties would just get bigger, and there would be more use of the various acts within the public order act where appropriate.
    we don't know for sure yet whether the rest of europe will open up in april, they may do and they may not, and even then countries will operate on a case by case basis due to various differing reasons and issues.
    To be fair, where is anyone supposed to put a month or mores worth of junk about their house if they don't have a bin service?

agreed, but to be fair as another poster pointed out, it was probably the fact there were 2 people in the car that likely caused the gard to act as they did.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

You're going to a graveyard to pray over your relations, sorted bye bye guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How about you start from the other end - everyone is required to stay home unless you actually need to go out.

You wanted to go to the recycling centre - did you need to go to the recycling centre? I'm willing to bet no.

Did the two of you need to go to the recycling centre? Definitely not.

Doesn't matter, it was essential according to the law, guard was wrong and has now alienated a lawful citizen by not knowing the law he was enforcing. Two persons where not needed however he could of said 500meters to recycling centre and continuing to a park within 5km for exercise (ie both).

You don't get to determine what is essential or not, the law is (vaguely).

By the way recycling is essential to saving the planet - pretty essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Doesn't matter, it was essential according to the law, guard was wrong and has now alienated a lawful citizen by not knowing the law he was enforcing. Two persons where not needed however he could of said 500meters to recycling centre and continuing to a park within 5km for exercise (ie both).

What an utterly ridiculous comment! Recycling with your wife during the worst week of the worst pandemic we've ever known is most certainly not.

The absolute contortions some will bend themselves into to defend their basically indefensible actions is truly incredible (not just in this case, it's all over)

Phoebas wrote: »

Mincing words, I doubt they where going to recycling centre unless essential. I don't know about you but I wouldn't be thinking "ye know what lets go down to the recycling centre, its great craic down there"

What an utterly ridiculous comment! Recycling with your wife during the worst week of the worst pandemic we've ever known is most certainly not.

The absolute contortions some will bend themselves into to defend their basically indefensible actions is truly incredible (not just in this case, it's all over)

I already said that two where not needed for recycling, the mention of exercise was just to note that these persons could of been taking a walk after dropping off the recycling - may be not but for 500 meters from their house the guard was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do those fined know they are getting fined?

Does the Guard tell you there and then that your reg is being noted for a fine?
    Or could they wave you on and then you receive a fine in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Mincing words, I doubt they where going to recycling centre unless essential. I don't know about you but I wouldn't be thinking "ye know what lets go down to the recycling centre, its great craic down there"
    I don't think I've ever made an essential trip to my local recycling centre. Does something dramatic happen to that crate of empty wine bottles if I leave them for too long in the garage?

A lot of people have a very loose understanding of the word essential.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    How do those fined know they are getting fined?

Does the Guard tell you there and then that your reg is being noted for a fine?
    Or could they wave you on and then you receive a fine in the post?
    Nobody gets a fine unless they are being willfully obstructive. The Garda will instruct you not to continue on your non essential journey. You get a fine if you refuse to follow that instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Not if you'll do a few hours in a cell.

ALL prison committals go into quarantine for 14 days nowadays subject to a Covid test (after 6 days usually) or expiration of sentence.
    There's no revolving door, fines or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Recently I was stopped by a guard on the way to the local vet
    Guard - Hello would you mind telling me where are you going?
    Me- Hi ,ya I’m just going to the vet at the end of the street gotta get vaccinations for the cows...
    Guard- that time of the year isn’t it ..
    Me- ya it is
    Guard - strange times isn’t it?
    Me- certainly is no sign it it changing soon either..
    Guard - Christ ,I’d just love a pint now!
    Me - you and me both! Good luck!
    Guard- Thanks! Bye..

A thankless job they do im sure he’s not the only guard that wants to go back to normality for a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Unless you're in Cork.
    The city recycling centre is within the grounds of Tramore Valley Park, a public amenity with pathways, BMX track, football pitches etc.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Civic+Amenity-+Recycling+Centre/@51.8784525,-8.4613392,778m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48448f0f4015dd51:0xa9b2f33b794bf342!8m2!3d51.8780651!4d-8.4632811?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The Guard was a hundred percent right. Recycling is not a valid excuse to leave your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

The Guard was a hundred percent right. Recycling is not a valid excuse to leave your home.

They should come back when the guard is gone and flytip the recycling at that exact checkpoint spot.

Guard was 100% wrong, recycling centres are on the list of essentials and are open for a reason. All waste centres are open to stop fly tipping etc. I have no issue with a guard refusing unreasonable journeys but this one again was well within 5km (500 meters) and in truth you are allowed essential journeys over 5km. If this is what is happening at checkpoints it won't be long before everybody says "we are going to visit relatives graves".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Guard was 100% wrong, recycling centres are on the list of essentials and are open for a reason. All waste centres are open to stop fly tipping etc. I have no issue with a guard refusing unreasonable journeys but this one again was well within 5km (500 meters) and in truth you are allowed essential journeys over 5km. If this is what is happening at checkpoints it won't be long before everybody says "we are going to visit relatives graves".

Completely wrong. Running a recycling centre is listed as essential, however recycling domestic waste is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you start from the POV of "stay at home unless you really, really can't, in order to help lower the spread of the virus", what exactly is so urgent about some recycling which could be bagged up and stored in the shed/ garage/ spare room/ under the stairs until things have improved and we're NOT asked to "stay at home unless you really really can't"?

If you start from the POV of "stay at home unless you really, really can't, in order to help lower the spread of the virus", what exactly is so urgent about some recycling which could be bagged up and stored in the shed/ garage/ spare room/ under the stairs until things have improved and we're NOT asked to "stay at home unless you really really can't"?

You stay at home then. I do but this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Jesus the way people are having a go in this thread you would think your man and his Mrs were heading off to a massive houseparty before heading to a nursing home to cough in the residents faces before slapping a puppy. They were dropping recycling off is all which is responsible waste disposal. The government have allowed recycling centres to remain open as they are deemed essential. If no one is allowed visit why would they be even open!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Our nearest shop is 8km away

Advertisement