Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been fined and will you pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If it’s dropped or you have to appeal on website and it gets dropped ensure your company still does the story - it’s important law is applied fairly and this smells of a Garda not applying it correctly.

I think they want to do a story if a fine is issued (Garda statistics include essential workers fined), at a guess it will make the Garda withdraw it IF it makes it to court.

In my opinion it's unlikely to go to court but if it does it will be negative PR for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

This amused me when I read it this moring.

Gardaí install checkpoints on non-essential airport travel in new operation

Going on holiday here have a €100 fine.

Always thought you could go beyond 5km if you were going to an airport in order to leave the country? And had proof of doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Always thought you could go beyond 5km if you were going to an airport in order to leave the country? And had proof of doing so?

Isn't the problem that going on holiday isn't listed as being an essential journey?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

See when you have a sound Garda who doesn't fine you, you'll have people that will take the piss like this guy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40213673.html

"They spoke to a driver who had travelled more than 20km to the beach without a reasonable excuse.
    The man agreed to leave the area and return straight home, avoiding being fined.
    Later that day, gardaí continued to Ardnahinch beach where they met the same driver once again.
    The man received a fine for breaking travel restrictions for a second time."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

5km limit is relevant to exercise only.
    Rule is that you cannot leave your normal place of residence without a reasonable excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Isn't the problem that going on holiday isn't listed as being an essential journey?

You can travel into Ireland to pick fruit...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Not much fruit picking in January so I don't think that will wash.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tommmyyyyy

There are people in this country - four or five of them on this thread - who are viewing the restriction period as the best two years of their lives and will be heartbroken when it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Work permits differ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tommmyyyyy wrote: »
    There are people in this country - four or five of them on this thread - who are viewing the restriction period as the best two years of their lives and will be heartbroken when it is over.

Others seem to think their lives have ended

• Advertisement

Tommmyyyyy wrote: »

I think some of these accounts here work on 24/7 shifts, swapping over to keep them going....:D

laoisgem wrote: »
    Eh no! One person from one household, why would he need to be chaperoned by the missus to go to the chemist?

Because he’s a learner driver and needs to be accompanied at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Couldn't stir out today for my weekly drive fupping snow.
    How do you fupp snow? Interesting concept

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DuffleBag wrote: »

"They spoke to a driver who had travelled more than 20km to the beach without a reasonable excuse.
    The man agreed to leave the area and return straight home, avoiding being fined.
    Later that day, gardaí continued to Ardnahinch beach where they met the same driver once again.

Sadtrombone.wav

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

DuffleBag wrote: »
    See when you have a sound Garda who doesn't fine you, you'll have people that will take the piss like this guy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40213673.html

Saw that today.

It's the same beach! Literally the same stretch of sand, just two different car parks. There are a dozen different places he could have gone and not gotten caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The guards will go to dairy altogether tomorrow after the signing off by the three amigos this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

See there's an odd one.

If he rams the recycling into the grey bin, and there's a lot of it, he can cop extra charges.

Does being extorted create an essential journey?

A few weeks ago I had my NCT, as I always do I drove to my mate's brother near Newry for the servicing beforehand.

Reason being chain garages in Dublin are inherently untrustworthy, I'd only attend them if the car is in danger of doing further damage to itself. Like any chain store they have sales targets, performance evaluations on staff, aggressive selling.

Was I justified in driving North because the Republic doesn't have any sort of inspection watchdog that goes after unscrupulous mechanics? All up I got a full service and two brake pads replaced for 220 quid- in Dublin you can pay 100 quid for a go on the diagnostic machine alone.

Youre not on the restrictions thread now.
    This kind if nonsense will be called out/laughed at as it should be.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

I'm told I will get a fine by a member who decided I shouldn't be more than 5km from my home, I was working for a national newspaper on shift and out doing my job,

I was respectful at all times to the Garda and he was with me, I explained to him that I was a photographer on shift and the job was to find people enjoying the snow, I ad previously travelled to lusk too photography as building and a fatal crash scene, I was also in Dublin city centre and passed 2 checkpoints there, after my encounter with the Garda in the Wicklow mountains, I went through 3more checkpoints and not a bother.

So don't tell me that it's the people getting the fines that are acting the pr1cks , if he does send a fine, I won't be paying it.

Unfortunately for me I came across one Garda who seemed intent on giving a fine to whomever crossed his path, as a member of the media I am considered an essential worker, I do not choose where to go on my day, I am sent by a picture desk.

How is photography deemed essential? I think a lot of businesses (including yours) are taking the mick with what they are deeming essential.

I wouldn't blame the Garda for fining you. Couldn't you just take pictures within your 5k radius.

How is photography deemed essential? I think a lot of businesses (including yours) are taking the mick with what they are deeming essential.

I wouldn't blame the Garda for fining you. Couldn't you just take pictures within your 5k radius.

Maybe the news isn't happening within 5k?
    Journalism is still happening, so photos are necessary.

Weddings are still taking place, so wedding photographers are still in business.

Just use a Telescopic lens eh? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So you can go there - there are no limits on distance for essential trips. The 5k is just if going to exercise.

It boggles the mind that nearly a year in and people don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Saw that today.

It's the same beach! Literally the same stretch of sand, just two different car parks. There are a dozen different places he could have gone and not gotten caught!

Not surprised, I imagine those people who find it ok to go against pandemic guidelines wouldn't be the sharpest tools in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Never gotten any hassle at all from Gardai . My family and I were driving all over the country going down to visit my grandad who was dying and performing related hospital/mass/funeral service visits, met loads of Gardai they were all sound and understanding without exception.Anyone who was fined I imagine was doing a Gemma O'doherty on it and deliberately taking the offensive and picking a fight on purpose to get a reaction, show off to friends on youtube how tyrannical our police service are etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I live in a quiet town, news doesn't happen within my 5k - journalists and photojournalists have to travel to record/report the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

That's what he said too. Wife works from home , first time out since being a close contact and a lot of of recycling since Christmas. so yes.

timeToLive wrote:
    going 6km from your home and sitting on a bench does not cause or spread covid. I await your angry replies

What if 100 other people decided to drive 6km to same bench your sitting on. Might that cause the spread of covid.

Would you tell them it's your bench and to go home.

TCM wrote: »
    What if 100 other people decided to drive 6km to same bench your sitting on. Might that cause the spread of covid.

Would you tell them it's your bench and to go home.

I'd tell them to keep their distance please.

I dunno, the whole thing is a balls. Another 6 weeks of being stuck in 5km. Can't even go for a drive and not get out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

TCM wrote: »

What's your point? How many people live within 5km of Grafton Street and there's nothing stopping them from all walking down it at the same time.

Outdoor transmission is extremely low and harsh travel restrictions are just making compliance harder and harder. People have been locked down for the best part of a year and just can't take it any more. They're willing to chance a €100 fine to get out, clear their heads and God forbid take some joy in nature.

46 Long wrote: »
    They're willing to chance a €100 fine to get out, clear their heads and God forbid take some joy in nature.

I remember in lockdown 1 seeing a lot of elderly people parked at the beach, just sitting in their cars and enjoying the scenery.

Can't even do that now without getting slapped with a fine.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You can buy pictures of "people in the snow" from any number of libraries out there.... My brother-in-laws business is up dramatically because people are not going out to take pictures that can be substituted from stock libraries at present.

No it's not. Not a single newspaper has substituted 'live' photos for stock photos. You're full of it.

Presumably also in favour of nothing live being televised either, then? Photo, video and media operators travelling to sports grounds, filming TV shows and films; should all be stopped. (keeping in mind that actual news is obviously significantly more important than a football game).

Newspapers should be full of hand-drawn sketches of what they think things might look like. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes, it was the first thing that I show at ALL checkpoints, I pass at least 1 a day, he took the ID and walked around checking the tax/insurance/NCT (all in order) then he asked for my driving licence.

I told him I'm a photographer and he could see the laptop and two camera bodies and lenses on the passenger seat.

If he had any doubt about my bona fides he didn't mention it to me, i explained that I was sent to get pics of people in the snow.

I have been working in photojournalism for about 20yrs and this Garda has really bugged me because he simply didn't listen to me.

If he does follow through with the fine, it won't be paid and if necessary I will goto court (which is a waste of my time and the Garda ...and the court)

You'd probably make more money than the cost of the fine, by selling the story, along with a picture of you looking depressed, holding the fine, to the newspaper.

That said, if I found myself in the same situation you were in (told I was being fined), I think I'd opt to escalate it there at the roadside. Request a sergeant to pop out to you or, if the roadside Garda is being uncooperative, pull in up the road from the checkpoint and call the local station.

I wouldn't be at all impressed, although i have been through about a dozen checkpoints and all but one of them were telling me i was grand before i even told them what i was at. The one exception was a Garda that asked for my letter from work, barely glanced in the direction of it, and told me to fire ahead. It's odd that they gave you a hard time.

Advertisement