Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online banking fraud

Options
  • 23-01-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, I receive this message Your BOI Card has been locked due to unusual activity at 17:59

Proceed to the link to review the charge on your card.
    And after I press the link and he send me to the site of boi 365 and I fill my pin and I saw everything its fine, but after 30 minutes 2000euro someone transfer from my account to other account. After I call to the bank and explain without my access stole 2000 euro from my account. And we change pin and I have investigate case. After I report to police. I want to ask only one thing can you return this moneyand bank they will be return or I lost 2000 euro?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

We're very to hear this has been your experience. Please be assured if you have been in touch with our Card Security/Fraud department, they will launch a full investigation and do their best to retrieve these funds for you.

They will be in touch with you as soon as an update becomes available.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭osullc10

I am surprised that the BOI rep didn't say this, but DON'T CLICK LINKS in any text messages or emails you get.

Go to online banking in your normal way, i.e. navigating to 365online in a new browser tab, or opening the BOI app on your phone. If you follow a link, it is always possible that you are actually being directed to a malicious site instead of the authentic site.

Somehow, this still needs to be said in 2021. And I suppose it will need to be repeated long into the future. Less tech-savvy users are still being fooled by bogus messages and malicious hyperlinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

So many ads now from BoI about scams. They say they will never ask you to put in your 365 pin.  Cant understand why people still fall for these.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi all,

You are absolutely correct, you should never provide any confidential information such as PINs, card details, etc. over links from texts and emails. If you are ever suspicious about something you have received, you can certainly forward this to our colleagues on our security team 365security@boi.com. One of our colleagues will be happy to help.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Wesser wrote: »
    So many ads now from BoI about scams. They say they will never ask you to put in your 365 pin.  Cant understand why people still fall for these.  
    what ads? where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Do the banks communicate with customers by text or email at all?

One annoyance I had was the banks ringing me on private numbers and then proceeding to ask me to confirm my details.

I had no way of knowing that it was actually the banks even though it was .Not helpful overall.

Malcomex wrote: »
    Do the banks communicate with customers by text or email at all?

One annoyance I had was the banks ringing me on private numbers and then proceeding to ask me to confirm my details.

I had no way of knowing that it was actually the banks even though it was .Not helpful overall.
    I got calls from BOI like that and this was only in recent years, are they still doing that? I thought they copped on, they basically call me and no number showed at all, not even private number, they did as you said, proceeded to ask me for my details over the phone, account details and even my DOB, it was infuriating, I pointed this out to them and they still persisted, I had a good idea it was boi, but it might not have been, I ultimately refused to deal with enquiries from BOI where they rang me, they would then insist I ring them back, but could give me no information about what the calls were for.
    I basically told them to contact me by post if they were who they claimed. Mostly as I wanted a record of communications, which I did not have from phone calls, but also because I felt there was a security risk and it left me/my account wide open to attack.
    In contrast their new app/online banking system of verifying who you are sounds onerous from reports Ive seen on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Ads on TV with that fella baz

I dont have a tv account, you think they'd just send it to their customers, or highlight it on the boi website as a notification that you cant avoid/miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

1874 wrote: »
    I dont have a tv account, you think they'd just send it to their customers, or highlight it on the boi website as a notification that you cant avoid/miss.
    Hi 1874,

We have a fraud warning and dedicated security zone on our website. Any suspicious texts, calls or emails can be reported to our security team at 365security@boi.com. We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Advertisement
Advertisement