Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pallaskenry

• 23-01-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Looking for comments/tips on what it's like living in Pallaskenry? I'm a single male in my fifties and, long story short, am thinking about 'moving out the road' and buying a place there (I've been in Limerick for the past 25 years, and still work there – WFH at the moment, obviously). I know the area a little bit, purely through years of walking dogs and children in nearby Curraghchase, and always liked the general 'feel' - but leafy forest trails/strolling down to Ringmoylan of a sunny summer's evening is obviously not a realistic basis on which to form an impression of what it's actually like living in the area. I know I should go out there and just hang around for a while, like people are always advised to do when considering buying in an area... but that's a bit more difficult right now, and like everywhere else I'd only be seeing the lockdown version.

So – any comments/advice from (Co.) Limerick boardsies, or anyone living in that general neck of the woods? Pros/cons/things to be aware of? I'll be living on my own, am a car driver, and sound of limb, whatever about the mind. Non-drinker too, so distance from pubs/nightlife is a plus rather than a minus. Currently looking at a couple of properties in the village itself and another one a short hop away.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

No idea what the area is like but if I was buying or moving I'd always like to see an area after dark to get a better idea what it's like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

A few characters there, but I'd say it's grand enough? Family used to live there for a while. If you WFH, would be handy too, you'd have some peace and quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

It strikes me as a place where (unless you're into GAA and/or walking) there isn't a whole lot to do, other than enjoy the peace and quiet. When you say 'characters', are we talking mad aul' fellas waiting for the pub to open in the morning, or gangs of feral kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

played a hurling match there about 20 years ago. bit of a hole

Ah here. I'd have thought there's much worse? :D

When you say a 'hole', do you mean a drab backwater with f** all to do, or bare-chested men fighting in the street? 'Cause I don't mind the former.

Actually, it doesn't strike me as drab, apart from bits of the main street. Lots of nice walks around (did I mention I'm old?), lots of posh(ish) new houses gone in in recent years. Ringmoylan pier is two miles away, Curraghchase three miles the other way, and Limerick 12 miles/20 minutes by car. It's ticking a lot of my boxes tbh. Just wondering if anyone knows of plans to build a second incinerator or a large factory or anything like that? I'll ask the agent, but I don't expect an estate agent to tell me anything other than what they think I want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

When I say characters I mean a few odd auld folk, but I've not heard of any serious problems there over the last while, but could be wrong. Yeah, there's not a whole lot to do there, (depends what you want to do), but if you like the quiet, it's probably grand.

Update: So I visited one property today, and am still keen. I see work has just resumed on a 16-unit social housing development in the village (quite a nice-looking one, details here); first eight units to be handed over end March mar ea. There are also a few new-build terraced houses further up the road, also social housing (not that that would put me off, anyway). May take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi there - Sorry just seeing this, I have family not far from there so would be there visiting etc a bit.

From what you're saying I think it would be a very good move for you - Pallaskenry is 10-15 mins from Mungret so its rural without being very far from shops, restaurants, cinemas etc.

The village itself is well maintained and people have a bit of pride of place, it's not Adare but its somewhere with a lot of potential for a few more shops and so on if there was a bit of investment and an upswing in the economy.

The area probably needs more people like you settling there, spending money locally and in return the local economy gets a boost, more shops might open and so on. For example there was a butcher shop and cafe on the main street that closed over that last few years which was a pity.

There's also a Chinese restaurant that seems popular enough.

Theres 2 nice local pubs that would have a nice crowd and regular live music etc. - I know you're not a drinker but I mean they'd be drawing a settled clientele not 3am street Brawlers.

As well as Ringmoylan and Curraghchase there's Dromore Castle which is real gem in the Countryside - Sadly it's in private ownership, not being supported or maintained and basically being left to slowly disintegrate year-on-year when it should undoubtedly be bought by the State and conserved as a national heritage project - Hopefully this will happen soon before the whole lot collapses and it's too late.

84537618-dromore-castle-limerick-ireland-dromore-castle-is-a-very-distinctive-building-located-on-a-hill-over.jpg

There's also plans to build a road between Foynes and Limerick so in time most of the HGV traffic will disappear off the N69 and it should be quieter/safer etc.

Thanks, Mango Joe, that's all very helpful and kind of confirms my own impressions. I have an old motorbike I take out in the fine weather, and the N69 has been one of my favourite 'short hops' for a long time - the coast road is a really pleasant drive (or indeed cycle). I also do a bit of swimming, and having Ringmoylan and Dromore Lake so close is a bonus for the summer (with Askeaton as an indoors option).

The house I was looking at has had a lot of interest and the bid is currently €10K over asking, so not sure I'll end up buying that - but it's good to hear what you say about the village. Ta!

Advertisement