Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality on boards

Options
  • 23-01-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the correct place. I was going to put it into the IMHO feedback thread but that was closed. And then that forum seems to be for site features

My understanding is that there is a general principle on boards.ie that people shouldn't really be promoting, or discussing how to do, things which break the law. I wouldn't be allowed to advise someone to, or post ways to, evade tax for example.

But over on the Covid19 forum there are many posters who are actively advertising their flouting of restrictions and encouraging others to do the same. Particularly in relation to international travel for non-essential purposes, and also, to a lesser extent, those promoting the breaking of 5km restrictions etc.

So I am wondering why that is let run when other things are not?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the site ToU
    We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity .....

If posters are encouraging illegal activity we will act on reports. We will not generally go looking for it. I would add there are probably some grey areas over exactly what is illegal with the restrictions. We are not legal experts and cannot be expected to understand all aspects of relevant law. We probably gain our own understanding of what is legal and what is not by reading some of the threads here as well as well as seeing what gets reported in the news.

If someone is simply admitting to undertaking illegal activity that is their problem. We will comply with appropriate laws if we are requested to provide any details we have on said users. It may be considered low risk, but when posters post such things they are leaving themselves rather than the site open to potential legal action (and all of this is caveated - I am not a lawyer). I am sure someone from the office can confirm, clarify or correct my comments when they are back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There isn't a thanks button so I'll say thanks.

I just thought that I'd highlight it.

We are still in the pandemic and there are a lot of people who have been affected by it. I get annoyed when I see people pretending not to understand why rules are for everyone or why it is important that everyone follows them.

Arguing whether or not the rules should be stricter or weaker is one thing. But I think that coming on and advertising that you are off on your holidays next week, or that you are just back from a great leisure trip to Spain etc. shouldn't be afforded the same status as a "difference of opinion". It is trying to create a sense of normalcy around what is essentially breaking the current law.

Advertisement