Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF : Lost in the noise

• 23-01-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Have FF got lost in all the FG/Green noise in government, they barely get a mention on the government thread and Donnelly,Martin and the flustered Norma seem to be the only ones managing any media coverage, kind of a sad affair when the main party of government are all but invisible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Better to let people assume your stupid instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Donnelly and Foleys coverage is generated based on a perceived ineptitude to do their jobs. Martins role means he can't but be getting coverage. Foley in particular hasnt helped herself. I'd feel sorry for anyone in Health to be perfectly honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

flazio wrote: »
    Better to let people assume your stupid instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Agree but being the major party of government you would think someone would be trying to get some attention, half expect some of them to show up as extras in Fair City just to let people know they still exist

duffman13 wrote: »
    Donnelly and Foleys coverage is generated based on a perceived ineptitude to do their jobs. Martins role means he can't but be getting coverage. Foley in particular hasnt helped herself. I'd feel sorry for anyone in Health to be perfectly honest

Health was a bizarre choice taking the pandemic situation at the time, would have been perfect opportunity to obliterate another FGer

Martin got totally outwitted by Varadakar. Fine Gael knew what they were doing when it came to the ministerial positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Health was a bizarre choice taking the pandemic situation at the time, would have been perfect opportunity to bury another FGer
    Pandemic is a cruel excuse to "bury" (poor choice of words IMO considering where the world is with the pandemic at the moment.) somebody's political career. Yes health portfolio tends to be a poison chalice but in the end it's about trying to preserve the lives and dignity of the Irish public.

Pandemic is a cruel excuse to "bury" (poor choice of words IMO considering where the world is with the pandemic at the moment.) somebody's political career. Yes health portfolio tends to be a poison chalice but in the end it's about trying to preserve the lives and dignity of the Irish public.

I'll edit it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Would someone care to inform Marc McSharry of that?

• duffman13 wrote: »

Used to like Donnelly before he joined FF. He seems to have become thoroughly smug since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Used to like Donnelly before he joined FF. He seems to have become thoroughly smug since.

"Since " ?

The guy used to be in the Soc Dems FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    "Since " ?

The guy used to be in the Soc Dems FFS

He probably got sick being like a third wheel to the 2 ruling queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I prefer them invisible rather than causing the financial destruction of the state

Memories of goldfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I prefer them invisible rather than causing the financial destruction of the state

Memories of goldfish

If someone told me back in 08 that MM, who sat at the cabinet table when this country crashed and burned would be Taoiseach in 2020 I'd have laughed them out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If someone told me back in 08 that MM, who sat at the cabinet table when this country crashed and burned would be Taoiseach in 2020 I'd have laughed them out of it.

Yeah, it would be like having John Delaney back at the FAI.
    Now, remind me, who said that on the 5 February 2020?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The irony. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have FF got lost in all the FG/Green noise in government, they barely get a mention on the government thread and Donnelly,Martin and the flustered Norma seem to be the only ones managing any media coverage, kind of a sad affair when the main party of government are all but invisible

Around here there are a coterie of posters who have FG, and Leo in particular, living in their head, which drives a lot of the traffic on threads, so I don't see that as a particular indicator of visibility.

Outside, in the media world, FF are not as prominent as FG, but not to the extent seen on here. That is largely the result of a slicker FG publicity/propaganda machine which is cleverer than the FF one.

Won't really be much of an issue for the next few years as this government will stick together for the duration. As we approach the next election though, wait to see FF claim achievements that they say would not have happened under FG alone.

Someone posted earlier that FF were on 6% in Connacht /Ulster, thats going to be hard to come back from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I've a feeling MM is just happy to have got his dream job and will let the baby have his bottle, that being Varadkar vying for attention and undermining the coalition.
    It's also likely why MM isn't bothering to maintain a high profile. He knows he was lucky to get the job by the skin of his arse and he knows he'll be very lucky to be in the next government.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Around here there are a coterie of posters who have FG, and Leo in particular, living in their head, which drives a lot of the traffic on threads, so I don't see that as a particular indicator of visibility.

Outside, in the media world, FF are not as prominent as FG, but not to the extent seen on here. That is largely the result of a slicker FG publicity/propaganda machine which is cleverer than the FF one.

Won't really be much of an issue for the next few years as this government will stick together for the duration. As we approach the next election though, wait to see FF claim achievements that they say would not have happened under FG alone.

Doing an awful lot of explaining for FG there Blanch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

The problem with FF is they are short of talent
    The only one that can string 2 sentences together and think on the hop is chambers
    Anyone else they put on air isnt convincing or cant remember their previous sentence when they utter the next
    FG have 3 or 4 regular airtime heavy hitters
    Sinn Féin have a lot of them and growing in polish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nobotty wrote: »
    The only one that can string 2 sentences together and think on the hop is chambers
    Anyone else they put on air isnt convincing or cant remember their previous sentence when they utter the next

The problem with FF is they no longer stand for anything.
    The only votes they get are lifelongs or people who wont vote FG or SF.

Genuine question, what change would come out of a FF govt? What would they actually do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nobotty wrote: »

Jaysus they are well and truly screwed if Chambers is the best they have.

FF never recovered from the 2011 election when they were almost wiped out (they should have been). They don't have any talent coming through and if you look at the parliamentary party all you can think is old and stale.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Jaysus they are well and truly screwed if Chambers is the best they have.

FF never recovered from the 2011 election when they were almost wiped out (they should have been). They don't have any talent coming through and if you look at the parliamentary party all you can think is old and stale.

It has to be self interest. Why would any socially aware would-be political representative look at Fianna Fail and think, 'They're the party for me'?
    They stand for trying to get into power with a strong history of corruption and cronyism.

Happened upon the tonight show with Matt Cooper last night, Jack Chambers was on, they kept him on for every segment, very poor performer, if this is FFs future ,its pretty bleak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Whatever about Chambers if the alternative is Marc McSharry...

Can anyone explain to me how he gets elected. It must his looks or something.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Whatever about Chambers if the alternative is Marc McSharry...

Can anyone explain to me how he gets elected. It must his looks or something.

They owe the Daddy a turn for getting the lane tarred in 1983 or he sold them a dumper and threw in a drum of diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Happened upon the tonight show with Matt Cooper last night, Jack Chambers was on, they kept him on for every segment, very poor performer, if this is FFs future ,its pretty bleak

Well I think what is coming behind what is currently there is pretty bleak and that is for all parties. FF are probably in the worse position but having Harris or McEntee as leader of FG wouldn't instill much hope. As for SF who would take over there?

Floppybits wrote: »
    Well I think what is coming behind what is currently there is pretty bleak and that is for all parties. FF are probably in the worse position but having Harris or McEntee as leader of FG wouldn't instill much hope. As for SF who would take over there?

Pearse, O Broin, McLochlainn,Carty, your woman with the shopsteward accent who's name escapes me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pearse, O Broin, McLochlainn,Carty, your woman with the shopsteward accent who's name escapes me

Actually Marc McSharry would right at home there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Pearse is only good at getting really angry and I don't think he's educated enough to be honest. He's never worked outside of Sinn Féin, not Taoiseach material.

O Broin is a spoofer, all smoke and no substance, he's "called out" too many sections of society to be a Taoiseach

Carty is a low rent Pearse

Louise O Reilly is another to file under very angry. Also, I don't think she's republican enough to be SF Leader.

FF's problem is that the guys in the Seanad who just missed out in the election are presumably what would have made up the front bench. If you look through the names there is some serious talent like Malcolm O Byrne, Lisa Chambers etc

Lastly, Donnelly wanted the ministry for Health from the day he entered politics. To try and improve Ireland's health service is his reason for standing for election. He's not the greatest communicator, granted , but it should be refreshing to have someone who genuinely wants to make a difference in n that role as opposed to someone who is trying to keep the vested interests happy nd avoid ruining their political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

MM is like the kid on the football pitch that is pure useless but only gets a game cause his da is the manager.
    The da knows it, the team know it and for sure he knows it himself.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually Marc McSharry would right at home there...

Fantasy political party, McSharry, Gemma, Flanagan, Ronan Mullen, Rusty Coathanger and the Veronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

My father was a long time Fianna Fail Councillor, as was his father before him, loyal and faithful through the good times and the bad, through the boom and bust the pair of them were plodding the streets canvassing and at the coal face doing their work for the party it didn't matter if it was Ahern or Cowen, they worked and campaigned regardless.

My grandfather passed away in 2011, thankfully he didn't live to see what Martin has did to the party, apart from getting into bed with fine gale, they have absolutely no one of noteworthiness coming up through the ranks, with the exception of maybe Jim ocallaghan, John McGuiness but I'm seriously struggling to see any talent after them.

Advertisement