Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from the UK

Options
  • 23-01-2021 5:47pm

I've purchased a bulky item in the UK that is flat packed into 6 boxes each box weighing 100KG.

I'm hoping to get a man and a van go over, pick it up from the warehouse and bring it over to Ireland.

Brexit has made everything extremely complicated and I'm struggling to understand how to get the customs side of things done.

Is there a good step by step guide anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Seriously?

• Yes, seriously.

I could be way off. But been trying to get a straight answer from a lot of UK/Ireland movers and none have been able to give me a definitive answer.

It seems to be a lot easier to import from China than GB now - at least everyone knows what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Bringing anything in from the UK at the moment is a nightmare. Getting it from elsewhere in Europe would make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Depending what you are ordering and who from, some UK suppliers will take care of most of the customs formalities for you, leaving you to pay VAT when the goods arrive in the State. My advice would be to ask the supplier to arrange shipment, rather than try and organise 'a man with a van'. This really is no longer a viable option for you, as it leaves you, 'the importer of record', responsible for the entire customs declaration. Also, are the goods manufactured in the UK or elsewhere - maybe outside of the EU, e.g. Asia? If so, the 'free trade agreement' means diddly-squat. There could be duty to pay.

If you have no option but to ship the goods yourself, find yourself a customs agent, based in the port of entry. This is likely to cost between €50 and €70 in addition to any VAT and, possibly, duty, but at least relieves you of the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If you are collecting the goods yourself then it's not an import. The whole sale will have taken place inside the UK. You'll pay UK VAT only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Scotty # wrote: »
    If you are collecting the goods yourself then it's not an import. The whole sale will have taken place inside the UK. You'll pay UK VAT only.

Would Irish Vat not have to be paid upon entry in Ireland?

• Would Irish Vat not have to be paid upon entry in Ireland?

Yes my understanding is I would have to pay Irish VAT, I didn't pay any UK VAT as it's an export.

If they've sold it to you and are holding it for you to collect, then they haven't exported it and therefor must charge you UK VAT.

Otherwise sure everyone in the UK would be just saying ah I'm exporting it, no need to pay the VAT.

If you are collecting the goods yourself, ie. not using a licenced courier, then I doubt you'll be charged Irish vat on entry but seeing as you don't have an invoice showing you've paid the VAT in the UK then this might complicate things.

Scotty # wrote: »
    If you are collecting the goods yourself, ie. not using a licenced courier, then I doubt you'll be charged Irish vat on entry but seeing as you don't have an invoice showing you've paid the VAT in the UK then this might complicate things.
    This is the thing. You're using 'a man with a van'. Therefore, you're falling between two stools. You've told the supplier that you're exporting the goods, but you're not collecting them in person, nor using a licensed courier. You're either going to have to handle the customs paperwork yourself or have a rethink.

brynne wrote: »
    You've told the supplier that you're exporting the goods
    Simply telling the merchant that he was exporting shouldn't have been enough to avoid the VAT. This is going to come back to bite the merchant when they submit their returns.

OP, if it's just a one off I'd chance my arm with the van. Worst that can happen is you pay the VAT. If you could go by Belfast there's less chance again.

• Advertisement

Then there's the whole Covid/lockdown thing to consider ...

• brynne wrote: »
    You're either going to have to handle the customs paperwork yourself or have a rethink.

Exactly, was meant to be sorted before Brexit and just pay UK vat and be done with it.

I don't want to "chance it" and want everything to be above board. Might just cut my losses and get TNT to do the collection.

Might just cut my losses and get TNT to do the collection.
    6x 100KG parcels!!! It'd cost €1000's for TNT, plus parcels are limited to 30KG max for manual handling anyway.

It's pallet service you need to be looking at, not parcels.

• Scotty # wrote: »
    6x 100KG parcels!!! It'd cost €1000's for TNT, plus parcels are limited to 30KG max for manual handling anyway.

It's pallet service you need to be looking at, not parcels.

TNT costs £700.

TNT costs £700.
    I presume that's for a pallet with the 30kg limit on parcels? That's an extortionate rate for a pallet. Should be <€200.

I presume that's for a pallet with the 30kg limit on parcels? That's an extortionate rate for a pallet. Should be <€200.

No thats for 6 parcels averaging 200cm x 80cm x 30cm and 100KG each.

You sure it's not PER parcel?

I just did a quick quote there on TNT's site and it says 70KG max before you must go on pallet rate. Pallet rate for 600KG is €1200.

That's just on their website. If you called them or have an account you may have got a better rate.

Either way, you should be able to get a pallet from UK or EIRE for around €190. Add on €50 or so for customs clearance :D

You sure it's not PER parcel?

I just did a quick quote there on TNT's site and it says 70KG max before you must go on pallet rate. Pallet rate for 600KG is €1200.

That's just on their website. If you called them or have an account you may have got a better rate.

Either way, you should be able to get a pallet from UK or EIRE for around €190.

The seller doesn't want to put in on a pallet due to the overhang and wont get a custom pallet done up.

Easiest thing was man with a van before Brexit ruined everything. TNT is £700 for all the parcels, getting them collected this afternoon as I'm just fed up at this point.

It's through TransGlobalExpress

The seller doesn't want to put in on a pallet due to the overhang and wont get a custom pallet done up.

Easiest thing was man with a van before Brexit ruined everything. TNT is £700 for all the parcels, getting them collected this afternoon as I'm just fed up at this point.

It's through TransGlobalExpress
    If he stood them up there'd be no over hang.

Not sure how they're handling 100kg as parcels. Very heavy for even two people. Also prone to damage. Check them well when you receive them.

Good luck!

Advertisement