Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old would you date?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

:D you got me there. That was a bad one!
    No am posting while cooking dinner with one eye on tv and trying to figure what bet I'm doing on Pool v Utd.
    Wasn't paying attention. :D

Dinner sounds lovely Kay.

What's on today?

Who are Poo?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Dating - half my age plus 7

Riding - half my age (I wish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

A friend of mine left her abusive boyfriend recently (both 30) Brilliant I thought. About five minutes later she was in a relationship again with a man in his 60s.

Do some people just hate themselves and have no self esteem or do you reckon they could be happy? If I were with someone twice my age all I could think about is how we'd only have half my current lifespan tops before I have to change his nappy.

Maybe your friend is happy in the now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    That is just narrow minded stereotyping.

How crude.

It is also a colourful noun to emphasise a libidinous lover.

It sounds like you are not getting enough yourself? A distinctive pong of envy off your post.

Ooohh someone is touchy. Must have hit a nerve :-)

A friend of mine left her abusive boyfriend recently (both 30) Brilliant I thought. About five minutes later she was in a relationship again with a man in his 60s.

Do some people just hate themselves and have no self esteem or do you reckon they could be happy? If I were with someone twice my age all I could think about is how we'd only have half my current lifespan tops before I have to change his nappy.

Moths love older guys, there is less bullshight going on.

60 year old blokes know exactly what they want and when they want it, birds love that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No am posting while cooking dinner with one eye on tv and trying to figure what bet I'm doing on Pool v Utd.

Pool deffo, no value in utd parking the bus again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭HBC08

My husband and I discussed this a few weeks ago. The traditional view is very misogynistic: it’s considered alright, in the media, if some greasy middle aged man is creeping on younger women. Especially so if his wife is portrayed as some shrew or, forgive me for using a disgusting term, a “Karen” shrilly henpecking him in rollers while waving a rolling pin.

Alternatively if a woman is involved with a younger man she is accused of being some demented sex pervert à la Samantha in SATC, “mutton dressed as lamb” or a cougar (there is no equivalent term for a man). Ephebophilia is excusable if the elder of the couple involved is a male.

I may have strayed in the past with younger men but that was a long time ago, we have had marriage counselling and we need to move on. I warned my husband that if he ever considered leaving me for a young one that I would ride him so hard in the courts all he would have left are the ****ing fillings in his teeth. We’re in our early forties.

Sounds like he bagged himself a keeper and ye have a great marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

2-0 United... Liverpool are rattled

Ooohh someone is touchy. Must have hit a nerve :-)

My nerves are exhausted after the amount of touching they got last night.

They were kept fervently busy by my divine 27 year old lover. She rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

I’d view a 30 year old (male/female) dating a 17 year old as a predator.

Imagine being 30 and going to someones debs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

44 year old male. 34-48 age group. And no covert narcissists like my last relationship, seriously wreck your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Need to know or would like to know? There is a difference.

Haha. Well you said 20 years younger it would be interesting to know. Maybe tell us what they're age was 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

LilacNails wrote: »
    Went out with someone 10yrs older than me. Kinda want them back.

Do tell us. What are they doing now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    My nerves are exhausted after the amount of touching they got last night.

They were kept fervently busy by my divine 27 year old lover. She rocks.

She may rock but she fictional!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

purifol0 wrote: »
    Dating - half my age plus 7

Riding - half my age (I wish)

Don't think a 14 year old should be posting on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Do tell us. What are they doing now?

Someone sexier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

My husband and I discussed this a few weeks ago. The traditional view is very misogynistic: it’s considered alright, in the media, if some greasy middle aged man is creeping on younger women. Especially so if his wife is portrayed as some shrew or, forgive me for using a disgusting term, a “Karen” shrilly henpecking him in rollers while waving a rolling pin.

Alternatively if a woman is involved with a younger man she is accused of being some demented sex pervert à la Samantha in SATC, “mutton dressed as lamb” or a cougar (there is no equivalent term for a man). Ephebophilia is excusable if the elder of the couple involved is a male.

I may have strayed in the past with younger men but that was a long time ago, we have had marriage counselling and we need to move on. I warned my husband that if he ever considered leaving me for a young one that I would ride him so hard in the courts all he would have left are the ****ing fillings in his teeth. We’re in our early forties.

It's a hardwired biological drive

Younger women are more fertile

Great double standard there by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

No older than 5 years really tbh (I'm early 30's). I mean I would go and have a fling with someone even older than that and probably push it out to 50 in that case. But as far as having a relationship, I couldn't see it working. The emotional and maturity difference would be markedly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    No older than 5 years really tbh

I don't like to be judgmental, but that's awfully young.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intuitive

I’d view a 30 year old (male/female) dating a 17 year old as a predator.

So would I to be honest. It may be legal but it ain't right. Too much of a power imbalance there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,416 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Celine Dion and her now late husband. 12 too - never sat well with me that.

I think it's the same with Mary-Kate Olsen and her ex-husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

In my mid 40s. If himself left I'd consider 35 - 55. I'm female.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

She may rock but she fictional!

Just like all the other accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

When you get over 50 you keep all options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Catherine Ryan does a great skit on that relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

28 year age difference,she was 18 when they were a item he was 46, just makes you wonder what it was she seen in the older man,
    say he was delighted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    28 year age difference,she was 18 when they were a item he was 46, just makes you wonder what it was she seen in the older man,
    say he was delighted.

It has the whiff of grooming about it to me - it may not be that but you get an uneasy feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think age gaps are only really relevant where one party to the relationship is young. I had a relationship with a man who was in his late fifties when I was thirty. It had nothing to do with a lack of self esteem as someone implied earlier. You can fall in love with the person, as I did. I liked the fact that he was mature and didn't fúck around with game playing etc. In the end we broke up for reasons unrelated to the age gap but I don't regret the time we had together, it was a very happy period in my life.

Being honest yes I did occasionally worry that if we settled down and had children, that the probability was those children might lose their dad young, and that was a worry for me, but I don't think you can just assume any woman with an older man is a gold digger and any man with a younger woman is a predator. Those are such tired old clichés.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

say he was delighted.

My issue with this kinda thing is you only have the couple's word that it was all kept nice and innocent till she came of age like as if a switch was flicked when she turned 17 or whatever and suddenly they were attracted to the girls and they weren't at least being seedy before hand.
    Personally I don't know how you can come to fancy someone you knew since they were 12 and you an adult.

As I type this MJs "You are not alone" comes on the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭pgj2015

say he was delighted.

I wouldn't be. why would a 46 year old want to be in a relationship with an 18 year old? :confused:

Thats very creepy.

Advertisement