Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old would you date?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

age is just a number

yeaaah and predator is only a word

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

You're a victim of male privilege.

Him and half the world apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tig98 wrote: »
    Him and half the world apparently

Hey I'm not a guy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

If she deleted them herself then she may well be real. That's a scary thought.

What was really scary was bullying of her. If she was a person worth pity, she wouldn't evoke such massive attack.

I like diversity and different opinions. It makes world colourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

BattleCorp wrote: »
    When someone uses the terminology 'womxn', I automatically know we are never going to find any common ground in that discussion, or probably on anything.

until you wrote this, I had no idea it was a word. I always thought it was a common typo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

She's 36 today, i'm 50, married 11 years, I wouldn't date me, don't know how she manages it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If I was thrust into the dating game now, I'd probably be looking at an age range 15 years either side of my own. Though more open on the older one.

I mean obviously a 21 year old can be attractive. But in terms of maturity and the things they talk about and having to deal with their friends, just....no.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

manonboard wrote: »
    until you wrote this, I had no idea it was a word. I always thought it was a common typo!

I had only ever seen it on Boohoo, I thought it was supposed to be a glamourised/aesthetic version of woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

JoChervil wrote: »
    What was really scary was bullying of her. If she was a person worth pity, she wouldn't evoke such massive attack.

I like diversity and different opinions. It makes world colourful.

To argue back is not bullying, it's assertiveness

To broadcast a point and shout everyone down who doesn't agree aka feminism is exactly that, bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

I was going with my ex for just over 4 years and we went our seperate ways in early December,I was 34 and she was 51 when we start going out,in fairness she only looks in her early thirties.I have always had a thing for the older women but after this relationship,i think i will go back to around my own age group :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d recommend you stick to your own age range, by which I mean three years max. Something to relate to, given you’re not married.... or cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

DFB BOY wrote: »
    I was going with my ex for just over 4 years and we went our seperate ways in early December,I was 34 and she was 51 when we start going out,in fairness she only looks in her early thirties.I have always had a thing for the older women but after this relationship,i think i will go back to around my own age group :):):)

Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 19 postpandemic

Does age matter anymore? I've dated guys ten years younger who are fun, great sense of humour and have their sh*t together (as much as anyone can these days). Equally, I've dated older guys who are insecure, confused and one of them still lived at home with his mammy and daddy. So yeah, I don't pay much attention to age and judge someone based on who they are....up to a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id prefare to date someone my age in their early 30's, id go up to 40 and down to 28 at a push if I really liked the person but id be quite picky when it comes to age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ah you got in before me! :D

b5c75897c7497291152ccc5cdbcd4c5a--coronation-street-blog-kenneth-williams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

For a relationship I prefer someone with similar age, but I would consider max 10 years older than me. I'm 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The youngest I’ve dated was 10. I was 11 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I’d recommend you stick to your own age range, by which I mean three years max. Something to relate to, given you’re not married.... or cousins.

The problem with that is quite often age is just a number. Many guys at 40 are at the same interests and maturity level as they were at 30, people "grow up" at different speeds. People who think an age difference is a big deal are usually silly fruitcakes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

15 years either way and I am 40.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You sound like a fun first date

I suspect it’s a very long winded way of saying that she won’t do anal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Question for the cougars out there: what's the youngest you would date?

It could be 5, 10 or even 20 years. My sister married a guy 14 years older and they have a very good marriage with kids and everything they need. It's clear to see how much my sister loves her husband even after getting together 20years ago when she was in her early twenties
    I know a couple that has been in a happy relationship for 2 years and there is a 21yr age gap. They are both on an equal footing in the relationship, so it can only be love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

It could be 5, 10 or even 20 years. My sister married a guy 14 years older and they have a very good marriage with kids and everything they need. It's clear to see how much my sister loves her husband even after getting together 20years ago when she was in her early twenties
    I know a couple that has been in a happy relationship for 2 years and there is a 21yr age gap. They are both on an equal footing in the relationship, so it can only be love.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Question for the cougars out there: what's the youngest you would date?

23 and upwards - I’m 46.

If he’s happy and secure enough to openly be in a relationship with a clearly older woman, then he sounds like the type of man I could date.

If he just wants to tick a box on his fuckit list and wants it all to go on behind closed doors, then jog on sunshine. I’m no ones guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I always find this a funny yet loaded question. All throughout my life, I believed that age is just a number, and as long as it's legal it's no one elses business. Is it weird that there are 17 year olds riding 50+year olds? Well, yes, because that's what we're led to believe. As long as there's no violence or threats or control, etc, as long as both parties in the relationship have agreed and are ok with it, then I don't see an issue.

I'm 37 now, and I never really had a way with women. Well, I suppose I did, I had more female friends than male, but I could never break past the friend-zone. And I'm ok with that now, being single seems to be far more suitable to my way of life now anyway. I don't put myself out there, as I'm not what women in my age bracket are looking for (don't want kids, probably don't want to get married, most likely don't want to live with them), plus my love for gaming seems to be an auto-turn off for most in my age group.

So, if I was to put a situation forward, one that I'm 99.9999999% sure will never happen (there's always a chance!): Covid is gone, life is back to "normal", I'm back to being the awesome uncle who gives his nephews/nieces lifts because I work/live nights so I'm awake while the parents are asleep (I did this before lockdown, I would have loved to have had an uncle to transport me and my friends around the place when I was 18). Niece is now 20 and usually has 1 or 2 friends in tow, so let's say I collect them from a night out, get invited into the house for whatever, tea I suppose, and somehow one of them is interested in riding me (for gods knows whatever reason). I personally think I would be mad to turn down the offer from a 20 year old, but seems most people on here would consider me a predator or the situation as just wrong.

I suppose I can't answer the question really, because I'm not able to get anyone anyway, so I can't say how low or high I'd go. I would prefer someone younger, because I probably wouldn't be "mature" enough for someone older. And most people I get on with are 10+ years younger than me anyway, as most my own age have gone the typical route of having kids and getting married (boring!). I can put my hand on heart and say if the above situation somehow managed to become a reality, I would literally jump at it. Would there be anything afterwards? On the night in question, I wouldn't even consider it. I know myself I'd probably have no issues if an 18 year old wanted to date me, but thanks to society I'd be questioning it and would probably ruin it.

Everyone says what age they would go down to, but I've no doubt most men would take whatever age was offered as long as it was legal and they fit the profile looks wise. Probably most women too. Maybe we should add to the question, how low would you go if no-one would ever find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I always find this a funny yet loaded question. All throughout my life, I believed that age is just a number, and as long as it's legal it's no one elses business. Is it weird that there are 17 year olds riding 50+year olds? Well, yes, because that's what we're led to believe. As long as there's no violence or threats or control, etc, as long as both parties in the relationship have agreed and are ok with it, then I don't see an issue.

I'm 37 now, and I never really had a way with women. Well, I suppose I did, I had more female friends than male, but I could never break past the friend-zone. And I'm ok with that now, being single seems to be far more suitable to my way of life now anyway. I don't put myself out there, as I'm not what women in my age bracket are looking for (don't want kids, probably don't want to get married, most likely don't want to live with them), plus my love for gaming seems to be an auto-turn off for most in my age group.

So, if I was to put a situation forward, one that I'm 99.9999999% sure will never happen (there's always a chance!): Covid is gone, life is back to "normal", I'm back to being the awesome uncle who gives his nephews/nieces lifts because I work/live nights so I'm awake while the parents are asleep (I did this before lockdown, I would have loved to have had an uncle to transport me and my friends around the place when I was 18). Niece is now 20 and usually has 1 or 2 friends in tow, so let's say I collect them from a night out, get invited into the house for whatever, tea I suppose, and somehow one of them is interested in riding me (for gods knows whatever reason). I personally think I would be mad to turn down the offer from a 20 year old, but seems most people on here would consider me a predator or the situation as just wrong.

I suppose I can't answer the question really, because I'm not able to get anyone anyway, so I can't say how low or high I'd go. I would prefer someone younger, because I probably wouldn't be "mature" enough for someone older. And most people I get on with are 10+ years younger than me anyway, as most my own age have gone the typical route of having kids and getting married (boring!). I can put my hand on heart and say if the above situation somehow managed to become a reality, I would literally jump at it. Would there be anything afterwards? On the night in question, I wouldn't even consider it. I know myself I'd probably have no issues if an 18 year old wanted to date me, but thanks to society I'd be questioning it and would probably ruin it.

Everyone says what age they would go down to, but I've no doubt most men would take whatever age was offered as long as it was legal and they fit the profile looks wise. Probably most women too. Maybe we should add to the question, how low would you go if no-one would ever find out?

I don't think so. Out of the last 10 women who have asked me out,, id say I have turned down 8 of them for different reasons, they had kids, unemployed, too rough, thought i could do better etc. now one or 2 of them were very good looking but the way I see it is, good looking or not you don't want to get involved with someone you could potentially get pregnant, fcuk that. like imagine having a kid with someone who is good looking but rough, total nightmare. you would be trying to raise them right while she could be drinking all day or doing drugs in front of them. you have to think with your brain in these situations.

Also if I was 20 and my older uncle pulled any of my friends I wouldn't be happy at all. you could ruin your relationship with your nieces and nephews over some 20 year old.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I don't think so. Out of the last 10 women who have asked me out,, id say I have turned down 8 of them for different reasons, they had kids, unemployed, too rough, thought i could do better etc. now one or 2 of them were very good looking but the way I see it is, good looking or not you don't want to get involved with someone you could potentially get pregnant, fcuk that. like imagine having a kid with someone who is good looking but rough, total nightmare. you would be trying to raise them right while she could be drinking all day or doing drugs in front of them. you have to think with your brain in these situations.

Also if I was 20 and my older uncle pulled any of my friends I wouldn't be happy at all. you could ruin your relationship with your nieces and nephews over some 20 year old.

Maybe not just profile on looks so. Then again, very hard to judge someone having only met them a few times. Or maybe I just have promiscuous friends!

As for the relationship, I don't think it would affect it. She's got her head sown on well, and something like that would just brush over her I reckon. I see your point though. And to be honest, if a niece/nephew got pissy as me for riding one of their friends, that sounds like a them problem! If consent was there, they've nothing to get pissy about. I'm sure someone in their late 30's is a bucket list for some young one somewhere! Anyone? No... Ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Maybe not just profile on looks so. Then again, very hard to judge someone having only met them a few times. Or maybe I just have promiscuous friends!

As for the relationship, I don't think it would affect it. She's got her head sown on well, and something like that would just brush over her I reckon. I see your point though. And to be honest, if a niece/nephew got pissy as me for riding one of their friends, that sounds like a them problem! If consent was there, they've nothing to get pissy about. I'm sure someone in their late 30's is a bucket list for some young one somewhere! Anyone? No... Ok...

Fcuk. You might be an uncle who drives nieces/nephews around and think you are cool but you really have no idea.
    If a niece/nephew is "pissy" at you that is most likely more than one relationship in trouble
    You and niece/nephew
    You and niece's /nephew's siblings also nieces/nephews
    You and brother/sister

Actually if I was your sister I would be thinking you are a creep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would have a fair idea what someone is like after meeting them even once, its part of my job to judge someone and quick. I met a group of people out one night, one of the women was trying it on with me, she was good looking but I was questioning if she lived in a caravan to be honest, id say not but she wasnt far off it. very wild. she told her friends she was going home with me unless I had a girlfriend. I told her I had, I was single though.

• Advertisement

Fcuk. You might be an uncle who drives nieces/nephews around and think you are cool but you really have no idea.
    If a niece/nephew is "pissy" at you that is most likely more than one relationship in trouble
    You and niece/nephew
    You and niece's /nephew's siblings also nieces/nephews
    You and brother/sister

Actually if I was your sister I would be thinking you are a creep

Wow, judge much? I don't care if I'm cool or not, nor do I even think it. I'm being the person I would liked to have had when I was 18+ and needed lifts places. If you want to break it down more, I feel useful. It's win/win, because the completely hypothetical situation I described above is just that, and it would never happen. I made it up for the purpose of a point. I could just as easily have made up a story about meeting a young one on a night out, but that's far less likely even as a made up story, because I'm probably never going to a pub again, let alone break a lifetime record of not pulling in a pub.

Anyway, it's 2021. If something like that were to happen, I'd have it ruined with demanding a self recorded video of them consenting to it, because nobody would believe otherwise if minds were changed the morning after, which is a genuine fear of mine, so I'll probably never have sex again anyway.

Advertisement