Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner Permit

Options
  • 24-01-2021 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

Lads, was chatting to someone on reddit that had a question about their learner permit. He's 22 and just received his permit with AM to A, all code 991, no 79 code at all. I'm assuming this isn't normal and was an error. I have advised him that that at 22 it's not possible to have a permit with A it would have be a full A if there was a scenario where he could have one. So it would be pretty obvious, to say an IBT instructor, that he couldn't ride an A bike. I suggested he contact the Ndls as there's no real advantage for him. Does anyone else have an insight?

(I told I was going to post it here.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This one comes up all the time. Tell him to look up the numbers in the restrictions tab, his A will cover him for a trike as I assume he has a full car driving licence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If its their 1st learners permit then it's not valid and they will have issues if they are stopped by the right Garda or need to use their insurance. If they had an A2 permit before it could be valid with progressive access

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Licence-categories-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This one comes up all the time. Tell him to look up the numbers in the restrictions tab, his A will cover him for a trike as I assume he has a full car driving licence

Ye its not there as I mentioned code 79 isn't on it. That was my first thought too.

I told him to contact the Ndls as the error is pretty obvious. As it would have to be a full A if he is 22 and went through progressive access.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

zubair wrote: »
    Lads, was chatting to someone on reddit that had a question about their learner permit. He's 22 and just received his permit with AM to A, all code 991, no 79 code at all. I'm assuming this isn't normal and was an error. I have advised him that that at 22 it's not possible to have a permit with A it would have be a full A if there was a scenario where he could have one. So it would be pretty obvious, to say an IBT instructor, that he couldn't ride an A bike. I suggested he contact the Ndls as there's no real advantage for him. Does anyone else have an insight?

(I told I was going to post it here.)

The NDLS made an error in giving an A.
    Because of his age, he is limited to an A2 (max 35kw)
    An IBT instructor would only be able to issue an A2 cert.
    No need to go back to the ndls on it.

Advertisement