Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.

she was in the most recent series of GLOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

spacetweek wrote: »
    Olivia Newton-John - Grease, then she was in Xanadu which was a rollerskating movie with a ghost sidekick. It's even worse than it sounds - totally killed her career.

She's in Sharknado 4,

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    How dare you. He was in the absolute classic that was 'Hot Tub Time Machine' only recently.

that was ten years ago ( really like that silly movie ) but John Cusack was never " huge "

he was always sort of indie and alternative bar Con Air and 2012

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Val Kilmer, main roles seem to have disappeared after Alexander?

the male kirsty alley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Martina McCutcheon was in Love Actually and moved to LA hoping to make the big time. She is supposed to have got into an Elton John party where she got drunk and was rude to important people and that was curtains for her career. She was dropped by William Morris and headed home with her tail between her legs..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Martina McCutcheon was in Love Actually and moved to LA hoping to make the big time. She is supposed to have got into an Elton John party where she got drunk and was rude to important people and that was curtains for her career. She was dropped by William Morris and headed home with her tail between her legs..

So she didn't blow Weinsten

dubstepper wrote: »
    100%.I re-watched 'Man on fire' recently and was struck by how he made a revenge style movie into something so much more.

Denzel can make anything watchable , i even liked his Equalizer movies

incredibly charismatic guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cuba Gooding jr

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    she was in the most recent series of GLOW

She starred in a stinker called Cutthroat Island - it's not really that bad and is better than Pirates Of The Caribbean which actually recycled the same ideas - which lost a ton of money so that was her career over with.

the obvious example for me is Christina Ricci

never a big star but a good quirky actress who you would think was likely to keep working , last thing i saw her in was a tv show set in the 60,s about the then glamorous world of flight attendants , must be ten years ago ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not sure has he been mentioned and I did make the point on Boards Previously but while he had a respectable career relatively and remained a working actor Michael Behin always fascinated me. Just went off the radar despite he;

Starred in two of the biggest films ever made

Had an absolute starring Role in a couple of other massive films up to a career best Tombstone in 93

Could act better than the other action stars of the time

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not sure has he been mentioned and I did make the point on Boards Previously but while he had a respectable career relatively and remained a working actor Michael Behin always fascinated me. Just went off the radar despite he;

Starred in two of the biggest films ever made

Had an absolute starring Role in a couple of other massive films up to a career best Tombstone in 93

Could act better than the other action stars of the time

He missed out on several major roles.

His breakthrough was The Fan 1981 which starred Lauren Bacall - it was a knock off mash up of Taxi Driver and Play Misty For Me and was part of the psychological thriller craze of the 1980s and 1990s such as Fatal Attraction Basic Instinct Single White Female The Silence Of The Lambs etc. He was considered for the role of the Terminator on the strength of that role but got the part of Reese because Arnie persuaded James Cameron to cast him in the role instead. Biehn was going to star as Peter Parker in Spiderman in a project Cameron passed on and when Sigourney Weaver came back as Ripley in Alien 3 Biehn's character was killed off.
    He was supposed to act as the T-1000 in Terminator 2 but the part went to Robert Patrick who was more menacing.
    He made Jade which bombed rather than take the part of McManus in The Usual Suspects which became a hit.
    Finally he lost the part of Cal in Titanic which went to Billy Zane.
    Bad luck alround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Teri Hatcher.

Edward Furlong seems to be at the B-movies for years.
    all the desperate house wives cast seem to have disapeared

Teri and the rest of the cast did not get on

Eva is still in L'oreal ads

Felicity was involved in the college scandal in the US so her career is pretty much over, she had to best career even Oscar nominated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

R Lee Ermey. Great actor. He carried Full Metal Jacket single-handed. The second half of the film without him was Dullsville, Arizona.
    I just found out he died in 2018 :(
    What is my major malfunction?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Felicity was involved in the college scandal in the US so her career is pretty much over, she had to best career even Oscar nominated
    Did Bree do anything else afterwards?

R Lee Ermey. Great actor. He carried Full Metal Jacket single-handed. The second half of the film without him was Dullsville, Arizona.

He was never big to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He almost wasnt acting in FMJ. He was a marine instructor hired as an advisor but Kubrick put him into the movie as no actor could reproduce what he did.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

im sure lots of peple dont get on while on set but that never ruined their career .
    i wouldnt call a few adds of loreal a movie career

i dont see why that colege scandel would effect her career too much. acters have done an awfull lot worse and still have jobs.

what about the rest of them, the 'children', or men. havnt seen them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Katherine Heigl has been briefly touched on, I was just googling her, she really had a massive fall from grace. She went from being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood to a straight to video girl nearly overnight.
    She was nominated for a second Emmy for Greys, but pulled herself out of the running as she said the material she had to work with in Greys wasn’t Emmy worthy - the cast and crew of Greys obviously took huge umbrage to this and Heigl and diva self never recovered ...
    Looks like she basically believed her own hype, despite only featuring in rom coms.. won a good few raspberry awards as well for bad acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

gogo wrote: »
    Katherine Heigl has been briefly touched on, I was just googling her, she really had a massive fall from grace. She went from being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood to a straight to video girl nearly overnight.
    She was nominated for a second Emmy for Greys, but pulled herself out of the running as she said the material she had to work with in Greys wasn’t Emmy worthy - the cast and crew of Greys obviously took huge umbrage to this and Heigl and diva self never recovered ...
    Looks like she basically believed her own hype, despite only featuring in rom coms.. won a good few raspberry awards as well for bad acting.

It's a bit more than that, she suffered from crippling anxiety and couldn't cope...she wasn't easy to work with, no doubt,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The ego of her ruined herself.
    Like you're given this golden opportunity to make millions as you are a successful, known actor who can chose their parts and is in demand. Rather than being alright to people and riding that gravy train she ruins herself. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Did Bree do anything else afterwards?

She probably couldn't do much because she had cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

the obvious example for me is Christina Ricci

never a big star but a good quirky actress who you would think was likely to keep working , last thing i saw her in was a tv show set in the 60,s about the then glamorous world of flight attendants , must be ten years ago ?

She's kept busy. Starred in a couple series about Lizzie Borden and Zelda Fitzgerald but yeah, mostly under the radar films.

I watched the first episode of that Pan Am series you mention just for her but that was it. Mad to think Margot Robbie was in it as well

Heigl is - was famously difficult to work with

she wasnt much of an actress anyway , fine looker though

CastorTroy wrote: »
    She's kept busy. Starred in a couple series about Lizzie Borden and Zelda Fitzgerald but yeah, mostly under the radar films.

I watched the first episode of that Pan Am series you mention just for her but that was it. Mad to think Margot Robbie was in it as well

Pan am

could not even remember the name , had completely forgotten that margot robbie was in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Pan am

could not even remember the name , had completely forgotten that margot robbie was in it

Likewise about Margot until I looked the series up. Imagine if it hadn't been cancelled when it was, she likely wouldn't have the career she has now.

Could be a topic for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Michael Fassbender starred in a string of box office failures such as Prometheus and Assassin's Creed. His performances were critically acclaimed but he never became a true star. He's was reduced to starring in Kung Fury 2.

The pandemic has destroyed the entertainment industry and it could be all over for Hollywood.

Fasbender has been racing Porches professionally fo the last few years.. THere was a youtube set of episodes about it that were quite interesting. I think he is entering Le Mans this year.
    No way any studio could get him insured, and he just doesn´t have the time.

I didn´t know Kung Fury 2 was made. The first one was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

You forgot to add the absolute classic High Spirits :) which was shot in Limerick

I was just thinking about that after reading this thread last night. Wasnt Peter O'Toole in it aswell? Loved it as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

CastorTroy wrote: »

Christina Ricci is going through a bad divorce, she alleges physical abuse, he alleges that she is an out of control alcoholic. This kind of setup doesn't help with meaningful career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Michael Fassbender starred in a string of box office failures such as Prometheus and Assassin's Creed. His performances were critically acclaimed but he never became a true star. He's was reduced to starring in Kung Fury 2.

Fassbender became a pretty big star. He was in a lot of films where he was great, but they weren't big budget movies. Preferred the critical acclaim to box office success.

He made the mistake of trying to do too much, and took on some bad projects.
    Probably took on Kung Fury 2 as the pay was good, for just a few days work.

He has some early domestic abuse allegations against him, which might not be great for his recent career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm curious to see where or if Johnny Depp will pop up next. He really managed to torpedo his career spectacularly. He made hundreds of millions from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies which he ploughed into things like 'investment' wine, which he then went and drank! His wildly out of control spending could only be sustained by getting big roles in blockbusters and it looks like those days are over after the domestic abuse allegations against him were the subject of his recent failed libel case. He's not the most reliable at the best of times requiring an ear piece for a helper to feed him lines on set, but now his insurance costs will be sky high as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Ray Winstone seemed to just drop off the face of the earth recently except for being the face of an online betting company.

He had regular work playing variations of the same character in movies and tv series.
    He played Hugh Laurie's tough as nails Dad in House.

Ray Winstone seemed to just drop off the face of the earth recently except for being the face of an online betting company.

He's done that a lot throughout his career, in everything for a period then nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's done that a lot throughout his career, in everything for a period then nothing
    Over 40 years on the go , new one coming soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is still the daddy ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Colin Farrell. Not quiet career ended but dropped out of the spotlight big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He was in the recently released Ava, and has a couple of high profile movies coming up. He's may have dropped out of the media/celeb spotlight, but he's still working away.

neris wrote: »
    Colin Farrell. Not quiet career ended but dropped out of the spotlight big time

Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell? He was in the gentlemen last year which was good.

And he’ll be in the next Batman too...how has he dropped out of the spotlight? I don’t get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell? He was in the gentlemen last year which was good.

And he’ll be in the next Batman too...how has he dropped out of the spotlight? I don’t get it?

I'm thinking the last twelve months of almost no cinema releases, no movie production, and no visits to the cinema have scrubbed peoples' memories a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Colin Farrell is not washed up. I think it is more the case that he was being lined up as the next big thing He was everywhere with all the bad boy stories. He went a little far up his own a*se with it all and people tuned out.

In the end he stepped out of the lime light and has been making a stream of good movies. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

spacetweek wrote: »
    Olivia Newton-John - Grease, then she was in Xanadu which was a rollerskating movie with a ghost sidekick. It's even worse than it sounds - totally killed her career.
    Sure, but acting was kind-of secondary to her existing singing career as it was, and the Xanadu soundtrack was massively successful.

I'm currently watching the video here, a conversation between Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney. At the 5 min mark or so they talk about spending years away from movies and how they handled going back. Michelle says that her first break wasn't really planned, and was partly caused by relocating away from Hollywood with her family. After the second break, her kids started pushing her to work more, because "they missed Craft Services". :P

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Patrick Bergin

Looked like he was making a name for himself with Sleeping with the Enemy and Patriot Games, then he disappeared.

Has since done loads of cheapo made for tv movies and complete scutter like Strength And Honour. Supposed to be a right egotistical bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Julian Sands , cant remember when I last saw him in something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell?

I think it's because he picks fewer rolls these days. Probably has a decent amount of money in the bank, and prefers to spend time with his family, rather than in the papers.

Bruce Payne as well, took over from Sands in Warlock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Last saw him in the Netflix show "What/if" with Renee Zellweger last year......he wasn't great in it tbh, always had that B list feel to him IMHO

Charles Grodin, remember him?
    He was the Da in Beethoven and the conman in Midnight Run.

Martin Short too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Doris Day yet: she had a huge string of hits in the 1950s and '60s, tried TV for a few years with her own variety show. She quit showbusiness entirely in the early 1970s to focus on animal welfare, and did that until she passed away a couple of years ago at age 97. A contributing factor was how her late husband, who died in 1968, had squandered all her movie earnings and she had to fight long court battles to get some of it back.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

bnt wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Doris Day yet: she had a huge string of hits in the 1950s and '60s, tried TV for a few years with her own variety show. She quit showbusiness entirely in the early 1970s to focus on animal welfare, and did that until she passed away a couple of years ago at age 97. A contributing factor was how her late husband, who died in 1968, had squandered all her movie earnings and she had to fight long court battles to get some of it back.

She had her own record label also I believe. Her son Terry Melcher was a music producer and had some involvement with Charles Manson. He rented the house Sharon Tate was killed in, and there was speculation at the time he was the original target of the murders. Apparently he was going to give Manson some studio time but Doris vetoed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement