Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not sure has he been mentioned and I did make the point on Boards Previously but while he had a respectable career relatively and remained a working actor Michael Behin always fascinated me. Just went off the radar despite he;

Starred in two of the biggest films ever made

Had an absolute starring Role in a couple of other massive films up to a career best Tombstone in 93

Could act better than the other action stars of the time

Great to see him show up in The Mandalorian recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    She had her own record label also I believe. Her son Terry Melcher was a music producer and had some involvement with Charles Manson. He rented the house Sharon Tate was killed in, and there was speculation at the time he was the original target of the murders. Apparently he was going to give Manson some studio time but Doris vetoed it.

I had encountered this in the “chaos” book by Tom o neill. Good read. Melcher comes across as a self entitled bollix.

He did Fcuk all in his life except being the son of Doris day but by god would he make sure you knew he was her son

dubstepper wrote: »
    Colin Farrell is not washed up. I think it is more the case that he was being lined up as the next big thing He was everywhere with all the bad boy stories. He went a little far up his own a*se with it all and people tuned out.

In the end he stepped out of the lime light and has been making a stream of good movies. Fair play to him.

He is kinda washed up though. What has he been in lately?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right this minute he's filming for the anticipated Batman reboot, playing the Penguin, so washed up actors don't tend to headline big Hollywood productions.

Otherwise, to name a few from the last 5 years: The Killing of Sacred Deer; The Lobster; Widows; The Gentlemen; Artemis Fowl; Fantastic Beasts; Dumbo. A decent haul and mix of Hollywood or indie.

It's like IMDB never existed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Gentlemen is one of the best films of 2020. He was brilliant in that.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Right this minute he's filming for the anticipated Batman reboot, playing the Penguin, so washed up actors don't tend to headline big Hollywood productions.

Otherwise, to name a few from the last 5 years: The Killing of Sacred Deer; The Lobster; Widows; The Gentlemen; Artemis Fowl; Fantastic Beasts; Dumbo. A decent haul and mix of Hollywood or indie.

It's like IMDB never existed ;)

Farrell Playing the penguin ....ffs...that made me laugh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*shrug* washed up actors don't get to be busy working at the top table; as to Penguin, if you watch the trailer they seem to be going for a Dark Knight, "realism" angle than goofy bird iconography. A mob boss than costume villain.

Not in his fan club like but Farrells got a healthy CV. Maybe never hit the Brad Pitt level of super stardom, but who honestly wants that? It would have taken 30 seconds to Google his current résumé ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

I remember Heath Ledger getting all sorts of stick when he was announced as Nolan's Joker.

I quite like Farrell, he's really entertaining and engaging is most of his films, from Tigerland, to Snatch, to In Bruges, and stole the show in The Gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Has since done loads of cheapo made for tv movies and complete scutter like Strength And Honour. Supposed to be a right egotistical bellend.

As the brother of Dick Byrne, they didn’t lick it off a stone!

(It’s a joke, I’m sure Emmet Bergin is a fine man).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Morathi wrote: »
    I remember Heath Ledger getting all sorts of stick when he was announced as Nolan's Joker.

I quite like Farrell, he's really entertaining and engaging is most of his films, from Tigerland, to Snatch, to In Bruges, and stole the show in The Gentlemen.
    He wasn't in Snatch. Is it Brad Pitt you're thinking of? One Punch Mickey, the bare knuckle fighter.

He wasn't in Snatch. Is it Brad Pitt you're thinking of? One Punch Mickey, the bare knuckle fighter.

Woops, meant Intermission, cheers! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Julia Stiles. She seemed to be in a lot of movies in the early 2000s and then the last thing I remember her in was a bit part in a couple of the Bourne movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sondra Locke, she used to star in a lot of Clint Eastwood films until they broke up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pinksoir wrote: »
    Julia Stiles. She seemed to be in a lot of movies in the early 2000s and then the last thing I remember her in was a bit part in a couple of the Bourne movies.
    Julia moved to TV, creating and starring in her own series Blue, and more recently in three series of the Neil Jordan project Riviera. Her IMDB profile has one blank year (2011), that's it.

One actor who genuinely chose to leave was Michael Schoeffling, someone who seemed to be headed for stardom after movies such as Sixteen Candles and Mermaids. In the early 90s he retired from show business entirely and started making furniture, full-time, with his family.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Jodie Foster, could do no wrong throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, Oscar wins, then virtually nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I had encountered this in the “chaos” book by Tom o neill. Good read. Melcher comes across as a self entitled bollix.

He did Fcuk all in his life except being the son of Doris day but by god would he make sure you knew he was her son

That's a great book. Pleased to meet someone else who's read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He has some massive production credits to be fair!, another theory was dennis wilson got melchers ear and arranged a demo with manson, and melcher simply didn't like it and upset manson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

C Thomas Howell, had a good run in the 80s ,now Asylum rubbish like War of the Worlds 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sondra Locke, she used to star in a lot of Clint Eastwood films until they broke up.

She won't be appearing in too much more I somehow think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Sondra Locke's career was allegedly derailed due to her acrimonious split with Clint Eastwood - the details of which are fairly well known, some really nasty allegations about how she was treated while with the man with no name. She directed a couple of things in the 80's ("Ratboy" being one of them- terrible movie).

• Advertisement

Wedwood wrote: »
    Jodie Foster, could do no wrong throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, Oscar wins, then virtually nothing.

She stepped back from acting in the 2010s to focus on directing, in which she has been busy enough: directed for Orange in the New Black, House of Cards, Black Mirror to name a couple. She directed Money Monster in '16, an OK siege thriller film..

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    That's a great book. Pleased to meet someone else who's read it!

It's a great book, quite a counterweight to Vince Bugliosi's Helter Skelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This thread title would be better if it was “ Hollywood careers that didn’t live up the early promise” because it’s what I and others have done when naming actors where’s it pointed out their careers didn’t end abruptly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

She stepped back from acting in the 2010s to focus on directing, in which she has been busy enough: directed for Orange in the New Black, House of Cards, Black Mirror to name a couple. She directed Money Monster in '16, an OK siege thriller film..

Literally watched a new movie with her in it last night.

And today she got nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress.

She doesn't belong in this thread at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I believe Clive Owen was linked to James Bond also

He would have fitted that well.

Alicia Silverstone.

Batman & Robin was toxic and she was collateral damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This thread title would be better if it was “ Hollywood careers that didn’t live up the early promise” because it’s what I and others have done when naming actors where’s it pointed out their careers didn’t end abruptly.

This thread has a few sub threads within , another is actors who’s career wasn’t as successful as their most successful character:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CastorTroy wrote: »

Shows the double standard of cancel culture. Marilyn Manson cancelled over allegations. Cardi B has admitted to hooking up with men, on the premise of sleeping with them, and drugging and robbing them, before she was famous. Yet no cancellation there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47718477

Uh.

Well this thread took a sharp left turn into the Current Affairs forum. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's Colin Farrell up to these days? His career kinda disappeared :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.
    Never found her attractive but I remember the media fawning all over her. Then I saw her on some TV show biography thing, and saw what they were seeing. Never heard of her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Shows the double standard of cancel culture. Marilyn Manson cancelled over allegations. Cardi B has admitted to hooking up with men, on the premise of sleeping with them, and drugging and robbing them, before she was famous. Yet no cancellation there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47718477

FFS! Save it for your Facebook!

Back on topic, surely Cuba Gooding Jr fits in here? Sure, he hasn't stopped working. But he went from being one of the hottest names in Hollywood and an Oscar winner to starring in rubbish direct-to-video stuff like Snow Dogs and who knows what?

Apparently he says it was all his own fault. That when he was at his highest high he was way too picky with the roles he chose and he ended up alienating pretty much anyone in Hollywood who was hiring.

Josh Hartnett kind of disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mike Myers and Dana Carvey have reappeared

It was funny enough until Cardi B appeared.

I wonder did she tell them about her Wap.

I guess they had have someone that appeals to the youth of today, though I don't see or hear it.
    It's like they sold out. :)
    What rock stars could they have had on, I wonder that younger ones would know?
    Looking it up, she was 1 when Wayne's World 2 was released.

Just found out about these 2 documentaries that could be interesting. Anyone here see them?
    Life After Flash (2017)
    Life After the Navigator (2020)

And another one upcoming
    Life After Atreyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Surprised Jami Gertz's career in movies didnt kick on after Twister.
    She seemed to be managing the transition from teen roles in 16 Candles, Lost Boys etc into older roles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Calculator123

odyssey06 wrote: »
    She seemed to be managing the transition from teen roles in 16 Candles, Lost Boys etc into older roles.

She married a multi-billionaire, had children and founded some philanthropic organisations. Not a bad transition ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She married a multi-billionaire, had children and founded some philanthropic organisations. Not a bad transition ðŸ˜႒

None of that counts in this thread... I dont care how many basketball teams she part owns.

We want box office hits!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Uh.

Well this thread took a sharp left turn into the Current Affairs forum. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's Colin Farrell up to these days? His career kinda disappeared :pac: :D
    He's making regular guest appearances in a thread on boards.ie these days.

What's The Rock up to these days? Seems all roles he'd be perfect for are going to some guy named Dwayne

odyssey06 wrote: »

Net worth of around $1.5billion

Net worth of around $1.5billion

That's what happens when you marry a billionaire. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's The Rock up to these days? Seems all roles he'd be perfect for are going to some guy named Dwayne

Looks like he has gone back to TV to try and kick start his career again with Young Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Looks like he has gone back to TV to try and kick start his career again with Young Rock.

Surely you mean Kid Rock.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Possibly a bit early to be adding him to this list, but Armie Hammer's Hollywood career appears to be effectively over.

Possibly a bit early to be adding him to this list, but Armie Hammer's Hollywood career appears to be effectively over.

Weinstein probably has a better chance of making a comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, the amount of romantic lead parts you get offered tend to dry up when you reveal yourself as a latent cannibal pervert.

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah, the amount of romantic lead parts you get offered tend to dry up when you reveal yourself as a latent cannibal pervert.

He must be in pole position for the remake of Silence of the Lambs though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what did Arnie do?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement