Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

She compared people being hated for their political view in the Us is like the persecutions of the Jews in Nazi Germany.
    Note: I am paraphrasing here

I can't believe you paraphrased that...you monster! (Can't be too careful :rolleyes: )

US politics has a real toxic edge to it right now and Carano diving in with as stupid and tone deaf a statement as that is not going to win you any fans (well, any new fans that anyone would want anyway).

Was she in that Haywire movie with the geographically accurate rooftop chase in Dublin city centre? That movie was quite fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It could backfire on Disney. The right might stay away.

Would "the right" have followed "Star Wars"? They were already outraged when Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were cast so that ship already long sailed.

No that Disney would care about loosing the likes of that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭santana75

pixelburp wrote: »
    She's scarcely a martyr. She posted CoVid and US election conspiracies on Twitter in yet another failure for people to realise that social media is you, for the world to see. Talk about failing to read the room, the US is kinda twitchy about pro-insurrectionist BS ATM.

She spoke her mind and from what I've been told by friends in America, what she said is actually a fairly accurate description of the current climate over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Antonio Banderas what happened to him.
    The last thing I saw him in was the spongebob film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

o1s1n wrote: »
    It amazes me how stupid people can be when it comes to posting things on social media.

Career over with one post.

In fairness to lucasfilm and Disney, it is far more than one post.
    She has a history of being quite pointedly provocative.
    Comparing "cancel" culture to the Holocaust was obviously the last straw for a company that caters in the main to a pg13 market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Most rational people wouldn't see much wrong with what she said.

Ok.
    santana75 wrote: »
    She spoke her mind and from what I've been told by friends in America, what she said is actually a fairly accurate description of the current climate over there.

I don't want to derail this thread by getting into this too far, but this is just unbelievable nonsense. You've had the Trump-led right screaming down 'snowflakes' for half a decade, things boiled over and there was what many consider an attempted coup, and you have people like Gina Cararo who conisistently egged everything on now trying to play the victim because all of a sudden she thinks SHE'S the one being persecuted for her sh*tty beliefs. Spare me.

Most rational people wouldn't see much wrong with what she said.

Most intelligent people know that this particular subject matter is to be avoided, particularly in an industry with a strong connection to the Jewish community.

On a personal level, I think you need to brush up on your history, nobody is rounding up Republicans for internment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Soooo... that Colin Farrell guy. Whatever happened to him eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He's working in Dunnes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Speaking ones mind doesn’t make them right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

COLIN ****ING FARRELL LADS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It amazes me how stupid people can be when it comes to posting things on social media.

Yes - i really don't understand why actors don't just stay off all social media. Just keep your mouth shut and get rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

She compared criticism of her conservative/right-wing political ideas to the persecution and systematic genocide of the Jewish population in Nazi Germany. She was insinuating that those steps taken to criticise her and others like her are akin to the first steps in the process that brain-washed a massive chunk of an entire generation of Germans that led to such atrocities.

This is after spending the past few months spreading, propagating and promoting right-wing conspiracy theories, including the QAnon theory that is literally rooted in anti-Semitism and is almost a mirror image of the kinds of lies and propaganda that was fed to people back then to lead to the darkest page in recent human history.

It's not a crime to have different political ideas, but if it was illegal to not understand irony then she would have been launched into space immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Wasn't he just in the last Guy Richie film, The Gentlemen? I'd say he's keeping busy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wasn't he just in the last Guy Richie film, The Gentlemen? I'd say he's keeping busy.

Yeah, I know; you probably missed the in-joke where he kept coming up :D Unless you're being further meta in which I tip my hat to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Mary Stuart Masterson. She was popular around the time of Fried green tomatoes at the whistlestop Cafe but seemed to disappear not too long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Yeah, I know; you probably missed the in-joke where he kept coming up :D Unless you're being further meta in which I tip my hat to you :)

yeah, that's it, I was being meta. *cough*.

J

Not quite a Hollywood actor, but was thinking of Ardal O'Hanlon recently for similar reasons. Post Father Ted, he had a brief career but seems to have just completely disappeared from screen.

He played Detective Mooney for two series of Death In Paradise in just the last couple of years. He was also in the terrible comedy where he was a super hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mary Stuart Masterson. She was popular around the time of Fried green tomatoes at the whistlestop Cafe but seemed to disappear not too long after.

from the same era, Bridget Fonda too

fryup wrote: »
    from the same era, Bridget Fonda too

Serious car accident in 2003, hasn’t appeared on screen since apparently.

• Advertisement

really? hope she didn't damage her face

she was a fine bit of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dav010 wrote: »
    Serious car accident in 2003, hasn’t appeared on screen since apparently.
    fryup wrote: »
    really? hope she didn't damage her face

she was a fine bit of stuff

According to Wikipedia she fractured a vertebra in her back which I’m sure is very painful and not something you get over quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dan Schneider, seems like the last place he should had been involved in was a kids network

"Exit from Nickelodeon (2018–present)
    On March 26, 2018, Nickelodeon announced that it would not be extending its production deal with Schneider and Schneider's Bakery.[13] In addition, the network also announced that Schneider's comedy Game Shakers would not be renewed for a fourth season. Schneider's remaining Nickelodeon comedy Henry Danger would be receiving a fifth season.[4] Deadline Hollywood, the first to report about Nickelodeon parting ways with Schneider, also reported that there were complaints about Schneider's alleged behavior, including his alleged "well-documented temper issues for years" and his tweets showing photos of his young actresses' feet. Nickelodeon did not respond to Deadline's report and Schneider's representative refused to comment on the report.[14]"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

p to the e wrote: »
    I actually think she's trying to get more work. Sure with the kind of stuff she's saying she won't get hired by Netflix or Disney anytime soon but you have to remember that there's a lot of people who would buy into what she's saying no matter how nuts.

1: Say crazy stuff on Social Media
    2: Get a rabid following
    3: ???
    4: Profit

She didn't kill her career, by her standing up to the Haters and Bigots, got her fired.

What did she post, that makes her look stupid.

It is brave to stand against the haters.
    The cowards knee.

She didn't kill her career, by her standing up to the Haters and Bigots, got her fired.
    What did she post, that makes her look stupid.

It is brave to stand against the haters.
    The cowards knee.

You have it mixed up.

She spent months spreading an anti-semetic conspiracy theory, at times even posting outwardly anti-semetic memes, and then topped it off by comparing being criticised for stuff like this to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Pretty dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You have it mixed up.

She spent months spreading an anti-semetic conspiracy theory, at times even posting outwardly anti-semetic memes, and then topped it off by comparing being criticised for stuff like this to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Pretty dumb.

I'm sure you can prove that by posting any of those.

Varik wrote: »
    I'm sure you can prove that by posting any of those.

I could but i'm sure you can do your own research.

You have it mixed up.

Pretty dumb.

No she didn't

Her co star pedro pascal, posted Nazi stuff on his account.
    But that was ok, since he was comparing Trump and his supporters to Nazis.

If it wasn't for double standards, you wouldn't have any.

• Advertisement

No she didn't

But that was ok, since he was comparing Trump and his supporters to Nazis.

If it wasn't for double standards, you wouldn't have any.

Then I guess this is a giant misunderstanding and everything will be ok then.

Thanks for your intrepid work!

I could but i'm sure you can do your own research.
    Here you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Chevy Chase.

Then I guess this is a giant misunderstanding and everything will be ok then.

Thanks for your intrepid work!

LMAO,of course it's not a "giant misunderstanding"
    It is double standards.

What is good for the Goose, is not good for the Gander.

No she didn't

Yes she did.
    But that was ok......

Yes it was.

It is double standards.

Make up your mind. If she didn't do anything, then how is it double standards? You sound confused my friend.
    Here you go.

The title says "Pedro Pascal FIRED", which isn't true so there's no need for me to watch that video.

Thanks anyway bro! Have a good night.

Yes she did.

Yes it was.

Make up your mind. If she didn't do anything, then how is it double standards? You sound confused my friend.

The title says "Pedro Pascal FIRED", which isn't true so there's no need for me to watch that video.

Thanks anyway bro! Have a good night.
    Listen Lad, don't call me Bro, unless your black American.
    Yes, some sleep would do you good.

Listen Lad,If you can't figure out the point made in "Pedro Pascal FIRED"
    Well that is your problem.

• Advertisement

Listen Lad, don't call me Bro, unless your black American.
    Yes, some sleep would do you good.

Listen Lad,If you can't figure out the point made in "Pedro Pascal FIRED"
    Well that is your problem.

*You're

This is all off topic. Feel free to PM me if you wish to carry this on. (I won't read it, but feel free).

Good night bro!

*You're

This is all off topic. Feel free to PM me if you wish to carry this on. (I won't read it, but feel free).

Good night bro!
    Responding to your post is not off topic. If it was, you shouldn't have made a post in the first place and expect no response.

Nice piece of "Cultural appropriation" with the use of "Bro"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Biafranlivemat and MrStuffins, please spare everyone else and take it to pm.

Folks, try to stay on topic. Discuss Gina Carano's firing/cancellation (or whatever you want to call it) elsewhere. Her career has not ended abruptly - yet.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Helen Hunt. Seemed quite omnipresent in the 90s.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Chevy Chase.

I've only just discovered Community and I'm reading so much about how Chevy behaved on that show. It seems like he shot himself in the foot with his hostile antics. It's a shame because I'm looking at these episodes and thinking that Chevy is absolutely nailing it, he was brilliant on community. I think it was his last chance saloon and after that nobody would touch him.

• Advertisement

I've only just discovered Community and I'm reading so much about how Chevy behaved on that show. It seems like he shot himself in the foot with his hostile antics. It's a shame because I'm looking at these episodes and thinking that Chevy is absolutely nailing it, he was brilliant on community. I think it was his last chance saloon and after that nobody would touch him.

I think Chase was always difficult to work with, and accounted for why he disappeared from Hollywood for as long as he did. For a brief spell he was Hollywood comedy royalty, like a lot of those early 80s SNL alumni. As you remark, Community was a chance for a late career resurgence but couldn't resist being a total àsshole yet again. I wonder if Dan Harmon (himself a bit of a tyrant and TBH long went off him) saw this coming and just wrote Chase's character as antagonistic, knowing the cast were going to hate the actor anyway. IIRC Chase was forced on the production by the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Helen Hunt. Seemed quite omnipresent in the 90s.

You'd hardly recognise her is you saw her on the screen now. Saw her in a movie recently - I See You. She must have done some amount of plastic surgery. Whatever went wrong with it, it has made her look to be in a constant state of misery. Very poor performance by her in that movie, which was pretty good overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You'd hardly recognise her is you saw her on the screen now. Saw her in a movie recently - I See You. She must have done some amount of plastic surgery. Whatever went wrong with it, it has made her look to be in a constant state of misery. Very poor performance by her in that movie, which was pretty good overall.

Last time I saw her was in team America :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nice piece of "Cultural appropriation" with the use of "Bro"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation

Jesus Christ.

Watched an interview with Joel McHale that said he was so unpopular and cantankerous that by the end, most of his lines were single-camera shots because he'd have to shoot most of it on his own when everyone else wasn't on set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Make sure you go and find S2 E14 "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" if you're watching it through Netflix, since they removed it. It's one of the best episodes.

Watched an interview with Joel McHale that said he was so unpopular and cantankerous that by the end, most of his lines were single-camera shots because he'd have to shoot most of it on his own when everyone else wasn't on set.

Thats a desperate situation for all involved. I actually feel some measure of sympathy for Chevy, I know he's the master of his own faith and all but I think he was just mentally not healthy, possibly for his entire adult life. I saw a panel interview with him and other cast members from Christmas vacation where someone complimented his acting in one particular scene and his response was very peculiar. So much so that everyone else was looking at him like he had lost his mind. I know he was fond of the snow candy and maybe it was all just coke induced madness, but I'm still rooting for him, hope at some stage he makes something of a comeback.

I saw a panel interview with him and other cast members from Christmas vacation where someone complimented his acting in one particular scene and his response was very peculiar. So much so that everyone else was looking at him like he had lost his mind.

is that on youtube by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thats a desperate situation for all involved. I actually feel some measure of sympathy for Chevy, I know he's the master of his own faith and all but I think he was just mentally not healthy, possibly for his entire adult life. I saw a panel interview with him and other cast members from Christmas vacation where someone complimented his acting in one particular scene and his response was very peculiar. So much so that everyone else was looking at him like he had lost his mind. I know he was fond of the snow candy and maybe it was all just coke induced madness, but I'm still rooting for him, hope at some stage he makes something of a comeback.

Any clue to what was said ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Renne Zellwegger, doesn't seem to have done much since the well publicised plastic surgery excess from a few years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement