Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Renne Zellwegger, doesn't seem to have done much since the well publicised plastic surgery excess from a few years ago.

Well, she's won her second Oscar last year, I'd say she's doing well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Rachel Ticotin has been keping busy on TV but no films in about a decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Renne Zellwegger, doesn't seem to have done much since the well publicised plastic surgery excess from a few years ago.

Literally won the Best Actress Oscar less than a year ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Rene Zellweger?!

The reigning Best Actress...like, literally the reigning Best Actress!

Seriously?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Space Dog wrote: »
    Well, she's won her second Oscar last year, I'd say she's doing well enough.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Literally won the Best Actress Oscar less than a year ago
    Rene Zellweger?!

Seriously?!

Can't be sure Hangdogroad, but I think she may have won an oscar last year.

Just a guess though, a hunch, a feeling. Hopefully some people will post here and let us know.

Until then, we're in the dark my friend. :(

TBF, the old RZ looked very different to the one that won the Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

santana75 wrote: »
    Thats a desperate situation for all involved. I actually feel some measure of sympathy for Chevy, I know he's the master of his own faith and all but I think he was just mentally not healthy, possibly for his entire adult life. I saw a panel interview with him and other cast members from Christmas vacation where someone complimented his acting in one particular scene and his response was very peculiar. So much so that everyone else was looking at him like he had lost his mind. I know he was fond of the snow candy and maybe it was all just coke induced madness, but I'm still rooting for him, hope at some stage he makes something of a comeback.

It's funny you mention Chevy looking like he lost his mind in Christmas Vacation when that film also stars Randy Quaid who's career has just nose dived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

p to the e wrote: »
    It's funny you mention Chevy looking like he lost his mind in Christmas Vacation when that film also stars Randy Quaid who's career has just nose dived.

Randy has serious drug and mental health issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

v2yl0M.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its quite a bizarre tale.
    He fled to Canada in 2010 and didnt return to the US until 2015 where he was arrested on crossing the border subject to bail of 500k.
    A judge later dismissed the charges against him and his wife .

The Quaids' legal troubles in the U.S. began in 2010, when they were charged with trespassing and causing more than $5,000 in damage to the guesthouse of a California home they once owned.
    They were allegedly squatting in it when they were arrested. Two days before they were charged, they traveled to Vancouver, British Columbia.
    When Quaid sought to stay in Canada, he claimed he was being hunted by "Hollywood star-whackers" who had killed his friends David Carradine and Heath Ledger .:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Emilio Estevez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Speaking of randy haven't seen Dennis in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

v2yl0M.gif

I wonder could I get this gif on my grave stone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

ZX7R wrote: »

Yeah I haven’t really seen much of him since he was in Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well he was abducted by aliens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Ellen Page seems to have just vanished without trace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

xper wrote: »

Is she a man now or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously you haven't been watching the Umbrella Academy on Netflix ;) also recently started in an Irish zombie movie, whose name escapes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

pixelburp wrote: »
    Obviously you haven't been watching the Umbrella Academy on Netflix ;) also recently started in an Irish zombie movie, whose name escapes me.

The Cured I believe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

:rolleyes:

*Shrug* you said "without a trace", as opposed to one of Netflix's most successful / highly rated TV shows :D Though I may be misreading your one liner :P

I think on balance directors seem to disappear more definitively than actors. Maybe the latter can swallow their pride easier than directors, happily slum it for a while on lowgrade projects. Unlike directors such as Richard Kelly who really have disappeared without a trace since "The Box". It's not even like they go back to TV or whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Netflix is only like €15 a month or something. I'd recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Was in a 60s set thing, Vegas or Las Vegas, cant be arsed looking it up it wasn't up to much

Was in a 60s set thing, Vegas or Las Vegas, cant be arsed looking it up it wasn't up to much

It started well, first episode or two looked like a gritty mafia crime show, then completely lost the plot and tanked.

Dennis is a serious amateur golfer who played off scratch at one time. He plays a lot of pro-ams, most recently this past weekend in the AT&T at Pebble Beach. He is regularly quoted as being the best celebrity golfer, apparently he plays every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm currently watching Call Her Savage (1932), one of the last films Clara Bow made in her short career. She had gotten married the previous year, and the next year she retired from movies at the ripe old age of 28. Bow had struggled with the introduction of sound in movies, though not as badly as e.g. Louise Brooks, and gotten tired of the Hollywood scene among other things.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't usually find women from that era attractive, but she's nice

If we're really going back in time, surely the first dramatic disappearance from the big leagues was Fatty Arbuckle. A silent star on par with Buster Keaton (IIRC they were close friends in real life), and basically had his name dragged through mud with a media campaign insinuating he had a hand in the death of a guest at a party he attended. He was eventually proven completely innocent - with Keaton one of the few to publicly defend him - but by then he had become box office poison and a pariah. I think he had a resurgence in the 30s, but died a few years later before restoring his fame / name. Of the silent era stars Arbuckle remains kinda forgotten...

Not really a Hollywood career but Ornella Muti from the 1980 cult classic Flash Gordon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kevin Costner, one of the biggest stars in the 1990s then small parts in the 2020s.

Alan Brody, Oscar winner to movies with Lindsay Lohan with her boobs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Amy Smart, havent seen her in anything in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

Rene Zellweger?!

Seriously?!

It's because he couldn't recognize her anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

bnt wrote: »
    The story I heard about Phoebe Cates was that she started a family with husband Kevin Kline, and they agreed to alternate acting and family duties, but every time she could have worked, she decided that family life was better.

That's who I was thinking of when I read the thread title and also read something similar to what you said.

When I was small I thought she was gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Kevin Costner, one of the biggest stars in the 1990s then small parts in the 2020s.

Alan Brody, Oscar winner to movies with Lindsay Lohan with her boobs out.

He is the lead actor in the TV series Yellowstone the last few years. (Costner)

I recently saw Adrian Brody in a film where he is a robber trapped in a building being chased by a dog. Pretty crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not really a Hollywood career but Ornella Muti from the 1980 cult classic Flash Gordon
    Not really a Hollywood career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    *Shrug* you said "without a trace", as opposed to one of Netflix's most successful / highly rated TV shows :D Though I may be misreading your one liner :P

I think on balance directors seem to disappear more definitively than actors. Maybe the latter can swallow their pride easier than directors, happily slum it for a while on lowgrade projects. Unlike directors such as Richard Kelly who really have disappeared without a trace since "The Box". It's not even like they go back to TV or whatnot.
    Richard Kelly is an odd one, I would say he had a contract of some sort after Donnie darko, I am guessing Southland tales did serious damage to his reputation....it is a mess in fairness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lots of box office bombs

All of these films compared badly at the box office against others costing far less.

Waterworld
    The Postman
    Wyatt Earp

And a whole string of films that don't shine

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/07/28/waterworld-starring-kevin-costner-was-the-biggest-box-office-bomb-that-wasnt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Cancer was the least of diamonds problems:)

That post did not age well

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/01/dustin-diamond-saved-by-the-bell-star-dead-44-stage-4-cancer-screech/

Lots of box office bombs

All of these films compared badly at the box office against others costing far less.

Waterworld
    The Postman
    Wyatt Earp

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/07/28/waterworld-starring-kevin-costner-was-the-biggest-box-office-bomb-that-wasnt/

Kurt Russell's Tombstone came out a few months before Wyatt Earp, had a much smaller budget and a shorter runtime,Waterworld isn't a bad film but had bad publicity, The Postman on the other hand is by the numbers post-apocalyptic garbage with ten times the budget of this type of film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

She compared people being hated for their political view in the Us is like the persecutions of the Jews in Nazi Germany.
    Note: I am paraphrasing here

She's being targetted for her conservativism.

Her co workers have posted similar stuff and no consequences

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Lots of box office bombs

Waterworld
    The Postman
    Wyatt Earp

Costner considered making a movie about Michael Collins and visited West Cork. He passed on the project and made Wyatt Earp instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He is married to a woman 40 years younger than he is. He probably doesn't have the energy to get out of bed in the morning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

He is married to a woman 40 years younger than he is. He probably doesn't have the energy to get out of bed in the morning :rolleyes:

Can't blame him for that

Bruce Boxleitner - not so much movies but more TV

Bring em back Alive, Scarecrow and Mrs King

never heard from him since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

fryup wrote: »

He was in Tron Legacy a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was he not a major character in Babylon 5 aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha i loved that show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In Hollywood movies I think he was only ever in Tron series?

But he has long list of TV credits.

Epic scifi series Babylon 5 is probably his biggest role outside Scarecrow and Tron.

And still very busy working in various Hallmark movies and TV shows such as Gourmet Detective, and their Christmas output:)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Tom Hulce. Best actor nominated for Amadeus, was in a fair few movies in the late 80s, then dropped out of Hollywood all together.

He did some voice acting, and went on to focus on theatre producing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Summer Glau
    Seemed to be in everything Sci-Fi related for a while and then nothing

Kate Bosworth
    Was getting cast in everything for a while and seems to have aged out

But he has long list of TV credits.

Epic scifi series Babylon 5 is probably his biggest role outside Scarecrow and Tron.

And still very busy working in various Hallmark movies and TV shows such as Gourmet Detective, and their Christmas output

i stand corrected then

sorry Bruce, if you're reading

• Advertisement
Advertisement