Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

check_six wrote: »
    Willis is notoriously cranky. He causes trouble on shoots he's not even part of. When the Game of Thrones lads were trying to shoot the duel between The Mountain and Oberyn Martell he had a boat parked in the background. They asked all the other boat owners to move, and they were happy to do so. Willis threw a strop and refused to move. This escalated to him hooning up and down the seafront in the boat trying to interrupt the filming out of spite. Willis in real life is the type of guy who could do with a solid puck in the gob from John McClane.

That’s my point , if he was a young woman he’d be black listed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The pandemic has destroyed the entertainment industry and it could be all over for Hollywood.

Just to come in late on this: this isn't the case. Sure, the pandemic shut down all shooting for the first couple of months, but Netflix got 16 million new subscribers over the course of a few weeks, they were mad for new content. Filming has started up again - these days, everyone involved with the shoot, actors and crew, are sequestered in a hotel for the duration of the shoot, not seeing their families or anything for the time that the shoot goes on.

A few people have mentioned John Cusack - his thing recently (well, before Covid) was touring around showing one of his big films (High Fidelity, Say Anything), and then having a Q and A afterwards.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Just to come in late on this: this isn't the case. Sure, the pandemic shut down all shooting for the first couple of months, but Netflix got 16 million new subscribers over the course of a few weeks, they were mad for new content. Filming has started up again - these days, everyone involved with the shoot, actors and crew, are sequestered in a hotel for the duration of the shoot, not seeing their families or anything for the time that the shoot goes on.

A few people have mentioned John Cusack - his thing recently (well, before Covid) was touring around showing one of his big films (High Fidelity, Say Anything), and then having a Q and A afterwards.

I went to a screening of “dead mans shoes” with a q&a with paddy considine after , some absolute cnt of a film student was blessed with the opportunity of asking a question and with that annoying Dublin nasally college accent asked “hi paddy do you like take movies like the bourne identity to fund your own work or have you sold out to Hollywood “ paddy didn’t flinch and replied “I’ll sell out to Hollywood in the morning mate” :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sugarman wrote: »
    I wouldn't say ended abruptly, but Bill Murray had a fairly sharp drop off post Groundhog Day and Kingpin in the mid 90s when he was still in his 40s. Since then he mostly stuck to cameos and voice work.

Doing about one film every 18 months on average the last few years... also has a part in a comedy series called The Now, but that’s being delayed I’m reading, not a staring role but a reoccurring one..71 at his next birthday so maybe a slowing down is to be expected... I doubt at 71, several millions in the bank I’d be all that arsed about spending 5-6 months on film sets every year then hopping around the universe doing interviews and assorted promotions....

Reading through those links in the thread one can only conclude actors are wank3rs :)

Interesting marky Mark bullying jack raynor (lovely guy) I wonder was it racist , coz marky Mark hates educated Irish people as when he was young and broke they were getting all the jobs in Boston on the j1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading through those links in the thread one can only conclude actors are wank3rs :)

Interesting marky Mark bullying jack raynor (lovely guy) I wonder was it racist , coz marky Mark hates educated Irish people as when he was young and broke they were getting all the jobs in Boston on the j1

Not really seems like he is just taking the p1ss out of him.
    He’s a pain in the ass. F**k yeah, who the f**k does he think he is?

He’s in such a unique position because the world will be very different for Jack after Transformers comes out. He’s really good at what he does, I give him **** for being Irish. I’m Irish Catholic myself. He’s doing a great job, it’ll be interesting to see how life changes for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Have been trying to think of a few more examples today of actors who stopped acting, not just became less prominent or tolerated (or died!). I think there is a definite trend for female actors to quit more easily given the long standing Hollywood bias against roles for older women, the frequently misogynistic working environment that has gone hand in hand with that and family considerations.

The only male actor I can think of that hasn't been mentioned in the thread that quit the industry totally voluntarily is Jack Gleeson after Game of Thrones.

Madeleine Stowe hasn't appeared in a cinema release since 2003 after a very steady stream of decent roles through the 90s right until then. An abrupt change brought about by motherhood and not a full career end as she has been doing some TV work on and off since then, most notably a long run in Revenge.

Leelee Sobieski quit acting before turning 30. Kids/other artistic interests, it seems.

Portia DeRossi announced she was quitting acting a couple of years ago but notably made an exception for Arrested Development.

Bijou Phillips was getting something of a steady movie career up and running in the 00's then called a halt due due to health issues.

Tom Cruise quit acting many years ago and now just stars in movies.

Shia LaBeouf must be next up for no-one-will-put-up-with-his-crap status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

To add to the thread further, Steve Guttenberg is another.

Bonafide Hollywood star of the 80s being in such movies as Police Academy (1984), Cocoon (1985), Police Academy 2 (1985), Short Circuit (1986), Police Academy 3 (1986), Three Men and a Baby (1987), Police Academy 4 (1987), Cocoon 2 (1988) and Three men and a Little Lady (1990). He was on fire back in the 80s as he was on the silver screen so much with many hits.

That's it pretty much. His next movie wouldnt be until 1995 which was The Big Green. A Disney sports comedy movie. But that wasn't as successful as The Mighty Ducks.
    Even in the classic stonecutters episode of The Simpsons they joke and say "who makes Steve Guttenberg ... A star... We doooo" :p that first aired in January 1995 and he was well gone at that point sadly.

See there were no scandals about him. No him going to rehab etc. No bad attitude. He was clean as a whistle. Hollywood just stopped casting him in major movies after Three Men and a Little Lady.

You forgot to add the absolute classic High Spirits :) which was shot in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gw80 wrote: »
    Where's Lou diamond Phillips?

He is in the tv show Prodigal Son and previously was in Longmire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

I went to a screening of “dead mans shoes” with a q&a with paddy considine after , some absolute cnt of a film student was blessed with the opportunity of asking a question and with that annoying Dublin nasally college accent asked “hi paddy do you like take movies like the bourne identity to fund your own work or have you sold out to Hollywood “ paddy didn’t flinch and replied “I’ll sell out to Hollywood in the morning mate” :)

Brief aside, saw this movie for the first time recently, loved it. Recommended for anyone wondering what to watch tonight.

Or, well, tomorrow night as it's 3.23am now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

xper wrote: »

Tom Cruise quit acting many years ago and now just stars in movies.

Hahaha, nice.

tipptom wrote: »
    Rebecca De Mornay,what happened there?

Shes currently in “promising young woman “ playing the mother and the husband is played by the big cop from shawshank Clancy brown ....,

Excellent movie

Morathi wrote: »
    Brief aside, saw this movie for the first time recently, loved it. Recommended for anyone wondering what to watch tonight.

Or, well, tomorrow night as it's 3.23am now :pac:

I’m a big fan of Shane meadows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sarah Michelle Gellar was always a weird one to me. A talented actress who set the archetype down for how female hero leads are still being written today.....however her career never really seemed to get going after Buffy ended.

She's still active on social media and seems happy so I that's all that matters at the end of the day. Still....would love to see her land a major role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sarah Michelle Gellar was always a weird one to me. A talented actress who set the archetype down for how female hero leads are still being written today.....however her career never really seemed to get going after Buffy ended.

She's still active on social media and seems happy so I that's all that matters at the end of the day. Still....would love to see her land a major role.

Well her career started when she was about 6, so by the time buffy finished she already had close to 20 years in the industry.

I remember seeing an interview with James Marsters (spike) and he was saying in the end producers were throwing money at her to stay in Buffy but she was adamant she was going......said it wasn't about the money, sure she was marrying Freddie, but the filming schedule was too intense....she's in pretty much every scene in Buffy....she had enough.

Alyson Hannigan also said by around series 3 SMG was pretty much over Buffy.

SMG also received death threats from fans after a comic con interview, so you can see why she might not be too enamoured.

She's still doing bits and pieces but I doubt she'll commit to a schedule like buffy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jason Scott Lee

he was brilliant in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and then more or less disappeared

Not really seems like he is just taking the p1ss out of him.

What got me thinking was the famous night marky was on Graham Norton after a few drinks , dara obrian mentioned living with 7 lads in a house on j1s and Mark flipped “there was 11 of us in a flat in poverty and you took all the jobs “ :)

A lot of actor take TV gigs because is regular work with a regular pay check.

For every actor that has smash hit movie or two there are thousands that don't.

If you are just making films you might do 1 maybe 2 a year if you are lucky for not great money TV offers you security and an off season that you might be able to fit a film into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, I just presumed she fell down the hole badged "too pretty to act" that often befalls female TV stars who try to widen their CV. And if it's not beauty, then it's simply being typecast. Whedon's writing set the mould, but equally one that feels like there's a bit of a backlash against his tropes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot of actor take TV gigs because is regular work with a regular pay check.
    For every actor that has smash hit movie or two the thousands that don't.
    If you are just making films you might do 1 maybe 2 a year if you are lucky for not great money TV offers you security and an off season that you might be able to fit a film into it.

Totally get that, but what interests me in this thread are the actors that were in smash hit movies and then... nothing.
    Well not nothing, but not the lead or main cast in a major Hollywood movie.

Maybe they had a box office bomb or were no longer flavour of the month, maybe a fall from grace or people tired of their antics, or personal stuff intervened.

A lot of them resurfaced after a time either in minor film roles or major ones on TV.
    But I had assumed by Hollywood careers it meant career in major movies (notwithstanding there's a lot more money and critical acclaim for TV roles than there was say in the 80s)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Totally get that, but what interests me in this thread are the actors that were in smash hit movies and then... nothing.
    Well not nothing, but not the lead or main cast in a major Hollywood movie.

Maybe they had a box office bomb or were no longer flavour of the month, maybe a fall from grace or people tired of their antics, or personal stuff intervened.

A lot of them resurfaced after a time either in minor film roles or major ones on TV.
    But I had assumed by Hollywood careers it meant career in major movies (notwithstanding there's a lot more money and critical acclaim for TV roles than there was say in the 80s)

In the 50's, 60's & 70's those that would be classed as Hollywood Legends now all worked in film and TV the stigma of being a TV actor started to appear in the 80's & 90's and changed at the start of 00's thankfully no the best actors follow the best scripts.

And has been shown by this the majority of those named haven't stopped working they have just been replaced by the newest shiniest actor as the star power and they will be replaced in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Aurelian

Josh Hartnett really didn't stay long at the top.

George Lazenby couldn't have got a bigger break and really seemed to sabotage his career.

But how many legit stars from 20 years ago are still stars? DiCaprio, Matt Damon? Tom Cruise? Clint Eastwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Shes currently in “promising young woman “ playing the mother and the husband is played by the big cop from shawshank Clancy brown ....,

Excellent movie

That's Jennifer Coolidge playing the mother (Stifler's mom), she's not blond in it as she is in most other things though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Orlando Bloom.

Aurelian wrote: »
    Josh Hartnett really didn't stay long at the top.

George Lazenby couldn't have got a bigger break and really seemed to sabotage his career.

But how many legit stars from 20 years ago are still stars? DiCaprio, Matt Damon? Tom Cruise? Clint Eastwood?

Clint Eastwood started his career in the 1950's and was still making and directing films up until relatively recently- he's 90 now so more a retired star than a faded star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Clint Eastwood started his career in the 1950's and was still making and directing films up until relatively recently- he's 90 now so more a retired star than a faded star.

He’s still going according to IMDb. Has an upcoming project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom.

Was in The Hobbit trilogy and has a series on Amazon called Carnival Row.

There are plenty child actors who stepped away like Ariana Richards, who played Lex in Jurassic Park and a few other roles. I was thinking Mara Wilson as well, but seems she does a bit of work still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Aaron Eckhart and Josh Lucas are 2 actors who seemed to vanish from the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Aaron Eckhart and Josh Lucas are 2 actors who seemed to vanish from the limelight.

Eckhart was in Midway (decent) Sully (v good) and the XX Has Fallen (tripe) movies recently.

Hardly vanished. IMDB says he was in another movie last year with Tommy Lee Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was thinking Mara Wilson as well, but seems she does a bit of work still.
    She is probably known more for her writing than acting these days. Wrote a book a few years ago called Where Am I Now?

Recently watched the documentary Showbiz Kids featuring herself and a host of child stars where she talks about the book and how the roles dried up once she aged into a fairly "average" looking adolescent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This person doesn’t technically fall under the thread title but orson welles would be someone who’s career while amazing didn’t probably get as much as it should have. He seems to have had constant tension between himself and the studios over his movies. During the lockdowns we’ve had I’ve gone done some YouTube rabbit holes watching his interviews and he’s someone who can draw you in. Now he does seem like he was known to embellish his stories and they needed to be taken with a grain of salt. But an amazing actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sometimes a character can overshadow the actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lucas working away steadily. I'd place him in the "Really should be much bigger" file. Eckhart I'd like to place in the "..much smaller" file.

In the late thirties He tried to get a film made about the treatment of the Jews in Germany. He was stopped by the studios.

Not too often a lead actor can get away from a character. Tom Welling would be another example.
    Not sure how David Boreanaz has done it a few times with Buffy/Angel to Bones to SEAL Team.
    But that's a subject for a different thread in the tv forum I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Josh Lucas was in Ford vs Ferrari. He has the ability to go from completely likeable to absolute douche in his roles. A very good actor.
    I’d say he’ll be working away nicely until he’s old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not too often a lead actor can get away from a character. Tom Welling would be another example.
    Not sure how David Boreanaz has done it a few times with Buffy/Angel to Bones to SEAL Team.
    But that's a subject for a different thread in the tv forum I'm sure.

Even pre-accident roles seemed to be drying up for Christopher Reeve as he was identified so much with Superman... his other credits are mostly period or genre pieces.

* He was very good in the Bostonians

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭santana75

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This person doesn’t technically fall under the thread title but orson welles would be someone who’s career while amazing didn’t probably get as much as it should have. He seems to have had constant tension between himself and the studios over his movies. During the lockdowns we’ve had I’ve gone done some YouTube rabbit holes watching his interviews and he’s someone who can draw you in. Now he does seem like he was known to embellish his stories and they needed to be taken with a grain of salt. But an amazing actor.

I myself have fallen down a fair few Orson Wells rabbit holes. I could listen to him all day, he had something magnetic about him. Although I have to say the most entertaining clips I watched were of the infamous pea commercial and of course the one for wine where he's absolutely off his box and slurring his words to beat the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

santana75 wrote: »
    I myself have fallen down a fair few Orson Wells rabbit holes. I could listen to him all day, he had something magnetic about him. Although I have to say the most entertaining clips I watched were of the infamous pea commercial and of course the one for wine where he's absolutely off his box and slurring his words to beat the band.

Ah yeah the wine one where the two other actors are standing there not knowing how to react. His speech at the Jimmy Stewart roast is one for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mena Suvari and Thora Birch didn't really seem to capitalise on their success in American Beauty. Haven't seen them in anything much since that film came out.

• Advertisement

Mena Suvari

All the American pie movies, few other teen romcoms following ap and last I saw, an absolutely terrible zombie movie. Her cv is full but once the teen roles dried up she went straight to b if not c movies

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Nitrogan

Patrick Bergin

Looked like he was making a name for himself with Sleeping with the Enemy and Patriot Games, then he disappeared.

ZX7R wrote: »
    What happened to the boldwin brothers.

Alec still acts, Stephen is Justin Bieber's father in law now and a Trump supporter, William was in MacGyver reboot as a guest star not sure what Daniel is up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Patrick Bergin

Looked like he was making a name for himself with Sleeping with the Enemy and Patriot Games, then he disappeared.

Was in that terrible RTE windmill thing last year

Mena Suvari and Thora Birch didn't really seem to capitalise on their success in American Beauty. Haven't seen them in anything much since that film came out.

Thora's been in Walking Dead recently but her father who was also her manager supposedly ruined her career by fighting with directors. Otherwise I'd say she could've had a career similar to Christina Ricci.
    Think going into Ghost World she was the bigger of the 2 names, but Scarlett is the one we all know now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Welles had the perfect career. As he said himself, he started at the top and worked his way down. Difficult as it might be to follow a directorial debut that many consider the greatest film ever made, Welles surpassed himself with The Magnificent Ambersons. After that, he did what he pleased. He eschewed the Hollywood system, or any system, and managed to deliver some masterpieces along the way.

I think what I love most about Welles, above many other filmmakers, is that he realised that the ultimate work of art is not the films, but the life lived whilst making those films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

ZX7R wrote: »
    What happened to the boldwin brothers.
    All taken out by the Canadian Air Force during an attack on Baldwin Manor.

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Patrick Bergin

He was in Eastenders last year afair

saabsaab wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom.

His episode of extras was funny :)

Was in that terrible RTE windmill thing last year

I liked it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement