Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm starting the halo franchise for first time on series x .

Options
  • 24-01-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

So I'm wondering where to start ? Will I start with how games were released so I can see how mechanics progressed or will I start in chronological order ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

brady12 wrote: »
    So I'm wondering where to start ? Will I start with how games were released so I can see how mechanics progressed or will I start in chronological order ?
    Go by the order they were released, you'll better appreciate how the series evolved.
    I know reach is chronologically the first, but the gameplay mechanics are far better than say, halo 1, to the point that'll it feel off putting.

Plus, you'll get a better sense of the story / overall world if you go by release order.

Edit - enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I played the older ones last year on PC for the 1st time and they have not aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I played the older ones last year on PC for the 1st time and they have not aged well.

Crap ! Was hoping they be ok . Started gears of war for first time aswel and gears 1 remastered plays great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

brady12 wrote: »

You are lucky OP, in for a right treat! Just download Master Chief Collection and start at the beginning. I replayed ALL of the halo games last year for the 3rd time. I think they look great considering how old some of them are and they are just amazing games.

The order you need to play them in OP.

1) Halo: Combat Evolved
    2) Halo 2
    3) Halo 3
    4) Halo Wars - RTS but a great game with story and lore
    5) Halo 3: ODST
    6) Halo: Reach
    7) Halo 4
    8) Halo 5
    9) Halo Wars 2 - RTS but an amazing game with more story and lore linking into the next instalment.
    10) Halo Infinite (2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm currently working my way through them as well as I have the Master Chief Collection on PC
    I played them in the order that they are listed so Reach first and then the rest in order
    Because the earlier ones were remastered 10 years after they were made they look decent now so it is a bit jarring when you get to 3 and the graphics take a dip on 3 but only on the character models really and cut scenes.
    I have still to play 4 as I have taken a break to play Ghost of Tsushima
    I was looking it up but I'm not sure if I read it right that 5 will not be coming to PC but that any future versions will?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 3 looks so ropey but it's up there with Reach as the best of the bunch.

Halo 5 apparently isn't coming to PC but we aren't missing much. I couldn't bring myself to even bother finishing that one. It's worse than Halo 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Since playing CE when it came out I hadnt been back. Just played MCC and CE still stands out by far as the best, followed by 3, the rest are poor IMHO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The second half of Halo is bad which is why I like Halo 3 so much more. It's all gold... well except for the Cortana level which is one of the worst FPS levels in history.

Of the Bungie games, Halo 2 is the only one that I'd say isn't great but it has its moments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's one of the most average First-Person Shooters you'll play, but it's probably the best one you'll play on an XBox.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Reach is the only one I'd bother with tbh.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Since playing CE when it came out I hadnt been back. Just played MCC and CE still stands out by far as the best, followed by 3, the rest are poor IMHO

For me, Halo 2 is the best of the bunch. Amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I played them all up to including Reach and thought they were “grand” at best. I never really bothered with the MP, so maybe that’s why I’m so meh on them. I’ve strong memories of sections of H:CE in particular just going on and on and on in identikit corridor boredom. I just kept on persisting with them, waiting for them to click. Switching to PS4 stopped that. Now I’ve an XSX I’ve no desire to even download them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's one of the most average First-Person Shooters you'll play, but it's probably the best one you'll play on an XBox.

There’s far, far better than it on Xbox. The new Doom games for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

Having played pretty much all the games this is my recommendation:

1) Halo: Combat Evolved
    2) Halo 2
    3) Halo 3 (The best)
    4) Halo 3: ODST
    5) Halo: Reach

(Excluding the Halo Wars games as I'm personally not an RTS fan, may be different for yourself)

Halo 4 and 5 are simply just not worth the time investment IMO, they don't feel like Halo games at all for me.

The story is standard earth versus aliens rubbish with an ancient evil and space zombies thrown in that gets really really dumb in Halo 2 so just play them and enjoy the set pieces. The MCC is an absolute bargain especially now that all the games finally work properly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There’s far, far better than it on Xbox. The new Doom games for example.

Which are best played on a PC with beefy hardware and a mouse and keyboard ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The story is complete and utter nonsense. The shooting is fairly terrible and the low gravity floatiness of it all I always found really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd skip the first 2 to be honest and them play in order.

Halo 3,
    Reach,
    ODST as a palate cleanser
    Halo 4
    Halo 5

Of those I feel that four is probably the weakest and Reach is my personal favourite but I've come around on Halo 5 after a recent replay.

awec wrote: »
    The story is complete and utter nonsense. The shooting is fairly terrible and the low gravity floatiness of it all I always found really irritating.

The story is nonsense? I think its great, the lore behind the Rings is great.

ZiabR wrote: »
    The story is nonsense? I think its great, the lore behind the Rings is great.

It's the most standard of standard military space opera stuff.

It also has Audrey II from the little shop of horrors but she doesn't sing which makes it even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I suspect Halo 5 will eventually get a PC release but 343 are busy with Halo Infinite at the moment. Regardless of whether the game is any good or not its annoying not to have the entire collection on one format. Capcom I'll looking at you for never releasing Code Veronica on PC!

Advertisement