Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

kerplun k wrote: »
    I don’t get the greed argument.

The average match day ticket for the premier league is about €70,

1k for a season ticket (doesn’t include cup games)

€75 for the full sports subscription package.

A football jersey can cost anything between €70 - €90.

In 2018, the UK segment of the Premier League TV rights sold for £4.5bn, down from a £5.1bn high in 2015. The Premier League TV rights for 2022 to 2025 will go under the hammer in the next few months. What’s that gonna cost?

Just for the record, I’m against the idea of a European super league, but please spare me the details about greed in football, that ship sailed a long time ago Gary.

Think the greed argument is fairly clear. Closed shop for 15 of the clubs with no threat of relegation. A cap on wages in place and therefore no need to spend money in excess of rivals to compete.

People supporting this would want to look at the state of some franchises in the NFL. Absolute mediocrity for some teams for years on end with the owners still pocketing profits due to guaranteed share of tv money and a salary cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dunno how many players would be keen on giving up playing for their countries...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I don’t get the greed argument.

The average match day ticket for the premier league is about €70,

1k for a season ticket (doesn’t include cup games)

€75 for the full sports subscription package.

A football jersey can cost anything between €70 - €90.

In 2018, the UK segment of the Premier League TV rights sold for £4.5bn, down from a £5.1bn high in 2015. The Premier League TV rights for 2022 to 2025 will go under the hammer in the next few months. What’s that gonna cost?

Just for the record, I’m against the idea of a European super league, but please spare me the details about greed in football, that ship sailed a long time ago Gary.

Greed motivates them though. Its just a bit rich coming from the likes of Gary Neville.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dunno how many players would be keen on giving up playing for their countries...

Id say plenty if it makes them richer. Some, not all.

International football has been dying. This will be a huge blow if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think their main greed argument is referring to clubs just splitting the tv money amongst themselves rather than the rest of the footballing pyramid.

Of course there is already greed and the money should be split more evenly but this would result in them not splitting it with the others. Just amongst the teams in super league.

Yeah, but it’s more than just that, I mean, this comes from an organisation that sold a World Cup to Qatar, a county who is outright murdering people to build stadiums in time. But a breakaway European league is where Gary draws the line and goes on a passionate rant? He seems perfectly fine with his country heading off to a human rights plagued World Cup. I just wish he’d shut up about greed and docking clubs points and properly vocalise why the case for a domestic league with your strongest teams is better than a European one. There’s plenty of reason why this is a bad idea, let’s not embarrass ourselves by mentioning greed.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see it, imagine it, real football against the best teams week in week out. We're big enough to be in with the big boys if this gets the go ahead and we're good enough under Ole to mix it with any of them. To be honest fcuk the likes of West brom and Burnley we deserve to be in with the best teams.

Now I've been hearing about this breakaway for years and I've no doubt that it will never happen. Needs to be backed by a large TV company ie sky sports.

Fcuk them? Fcuk every other team outside of the top six yeah?

Without the smaller teams the big teams would be far worse off.

Exactly wrote: »
    The statement from the clubs later will be interesting. I'd imagine it might be getting amended after the initial backlash or will they come out fighting.

The 'leak' was purposefully done IMO. Sent out to see which way the wind blew.

This is a leverage move. Give the clubs what the want or they walk.... I hope the EPL tells them to fcuk off.

Id rather follow another team with a better owner in the EPL than United if this happens

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Id say plenty if it makes them richer. Some, not all.

International football has been dying. This will be a huge blow if it happens

This kinda thing was said at the time Klopp was being linked with the German national team.

I think people underestimate national teams a bit. Granted your Irish/Welsh/Albanian/Greek mightn't give a crap.

But the likes of the Germans/Spanish/Italians/Brazilians that may well have grown up watching Lahm/Kahn/Cassilas/Cannavaro/Cafu et al. Do they not want to emulate that and be the best in the world as those countries ACTUALLY can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Yeah, but it’s more than just that, I mean, this comes from an organisation that sold a World Cup to Qatar, a county who is outright murdering people to build stadiums in time. But a breakaway European league is where Gary draws the line and goes on a passionate rant? He seems perfectly fine with his country heading off to a human rights plagued World Cup. I just wish he’d shut up about greed and docking clubs points and properly vocalise why the case for a domestic league with your strongest teams is better than a European one. There’s plenty of reason why this is a bad idea, let’s not embarrass ourselves by mentioning greedy owners.

Gary actually visited Qatar for a documentary on what was going on behind the scenes to hold that World cup (how workers are treated etc).

He's not okay with it, not even a little bit and tbh I think if you gave him the option of there being no World Cup and those deceased workers still being alive he'd snap your hand off !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah, but it’s more than just that, I mean, this comes from an organisation that sold a World Cup to Qatar, a county who is outright murdering people to build stadiums in time. But a breakaway European league is where Gary draws the line and goes on a passionate rant? He seems perfectly fine with his country heading off to a human rights plagued World Cup. I just wish he’d shut up about greed and docking clubs points and properly vocalise why the case for a domestic league with your strongest teams is better than a European one. There’s plenty of reason why this is a bad idea, let’s not embarrass ourselves by mentioning greed.

It’s actually interesting that people are attacking Gary and his views on other things rather than what he was actually talking about today.

Fair enough if people don’t like him. Tiresome and won’t get anywhere here I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'd love to see it, imagine it, real football against the best teams week in week out. We're big enough to be in with the big boys if this gets the go ahead and we're good enough under Ole to mix it with any of them. To be honest fcuk the likes of West brom and Burnley we deserve to be in with the best teams.

Now I've been hearing about this breakaway for years and I've no doubt that it will never happen. Needs to be backed by a large TV company ie sky sports.

DAZN backing it. Could be end of Sky tv channel type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

deisedevil wrote: »
    DAZN backing it. Could be end of Sky tv channel type situation.

Sky are in decline, their model is outdated and expensive. Ive no sympathy for them.

Its Football in general will suffer.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Gary actually visited Qatar for a documentary on what was going on behind the scenes to hold that World cup (how workers are treated etc).

He's not okay with it, not even a little bit and tbh I think if you gave him the option of there being no World Cup and those deceased workers still being alive he'd snap your hand off !

Ah. I didn’t know about the documentary.
    But still, his rant was very contradictory to what’s already happening in the game. I’ve never once seen him rant like that about England boycotting the World Cup, but all off a sudden now that it’s his patch that’s coming under threat, he’s going on a furious rant.

Sky are in decline, their model is outdated and expensive. Ive no sympathy for them.

Its Football in general will suffer.

I think football will be fine.

Its the breakaway franchises that would be more likely to fail/crawl back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Money money money folks.
    That's the ultimate goal of all of this and was from Sky 30 years ago as well.

Pity the people that continue to support this nonsense.

Support of a lot of these clubs is "tenuous" at best these days with the lack of Irish or indeed English players at this point involved.
    Milking the fans for all their are worth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Id rather follow another team with a better owner in the EPL than United if this happens

I’d totally be down with a load of United fans here picking a “ second “ club further down the leagues for a laugh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I’d totally be down with a load of United fans here picking a “ second “ club further down the leagues for a laugh :pac:

Salford are my second team.

billyhead wrote: »
    Salford are my second team.

Portsmouth for me after I had an epic 14ish season Championship Manager 4 save that won them the treble twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I cannot believe that United are involved here, this is an absolute disgrace... this can’t be left happen by the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I’m disgusted with the club today.

But can’t say I’m surprised.

Hopefully common sense comes into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

irishfeen wrote: »
    I cannot believe that United are involved here, this is an absolute disgrace... this can’t be left happen by the fans.

United and the Glazers were always going to be at the top of the table with this Super League.

Leeches.

Embarassed by the club but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Best way to describe today's developments for me is just sad.

I already have a difficult time reconciling the sportswashing that has infested the game but if this is followed through with, I'd find it hard to support the club anymore.

Be interesting to see what the clubs say this evening. Part of me feels like this is a power play to get the PL etc to come to the table on TV rights. Hard to see how they can force this through. Wonder if players will get involved with threat of strike action!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Great result today..hate playing Burnley.

This Super League or breakaway league reminds me of the franchises set up in the US to rival the NFL, all have failed.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Great result today..hate playing Burnley.

This Super League or breakaway league reminds me of the franchises set up in the US to rival the NFL, all have failed.

Beckham/Henry circa 2010 were supposed to lead to MLS becoming a "super power".....nah that didn't stick. India was being touted for a while but never got off the ground as China swooped up with its big bucks to snap up Hulk/Oscar/Pato et all yet that is now seeming to be ending and those foreign players returning.

Someone mentioned football is turning into a TV show with the idea. Thats about right. TV shows get about 5 good years, most "super leagues" get about 5ish years aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Without the smaller teams the big teams would be far worse off.

How so?

The Big teams carry the league, always have.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Maybe this is why the stadium is being allowed to fall apart. United can play their home games in a new stadium anywhere in the world, maybe swap stadiums every season or every few games. That’s where it’s going.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Maybe this is why the stadium is being allowed to fall apart. United can play their home games in a new stadium anywhere in the world, maybe swap stadiums every season or every few games. That’s where it’s going.

If the Glaziers could move the club to London, they absolutely would...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If the Glaziers could move the club to London, they absolutely would...

They would move them to Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red Devils

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's why we were dumped out of the champions league at the first hurdle?

Real football against the best teams?

The clasico is a **** show most times and the big european games are often just teams trying to nullify each other.

Headshot wrote: »

Albuquerque Red Devils

Rivals of the Albuquerque Isotopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The Glazers and Woodward can all just F off.

F the super league.

Ironic the banner in Old Trafford displayed by the club that says football is nothing without the fans. Then listen to them. Probably 90% of fans are against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

AFC Wimbledon are my second the last 7/8 years. Only fan owned professional club in England I think.. Moved back to plough lane recently and won last 3 to maybe gain safety in league 1 for another season. Thought Ramsdale was gonna take over the prem after his season with them when he started for SU this year :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I’m disgusted with the club today.

But can’t say I’m surprised.

Hopefully common sense comes into it.

Is a sad day I think and if it doesn't happen now it will happen down the line,
    Money runs football like most things in life and it has football ruined imo, the rich want more while the lower league clubs struggle to make ends meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

Albuquerque Red Devils

If that happens I’m going on a hunger strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Well it's been nice to have him for a year and he really is a fantastic centre forward. His movement and passion are a joy to watch, I remember thinking he was a bit overrated early in his career, but then I watched a lot of him in the 2010 world cup and saw how hard he worked chasing everything - a warrior.

Pity we couldn't have had him for his prime.

Doesn't have to be a bad thing however depending on who comes in to replace him. Kane or Haaland would do nicely and there's no need to tell me how unlikely that is again!

Well it's been nice to have him for a year and he really is a fantastic centre forward. His movement and passion are a joy to watch, I remember thinking he was a bit overrated early in his career, but then I watched a lot of him in the 2010 world cup and saw how hard he worked chasing everything - a warrior.

Doesn't have to be a bad thing however depending on who comes in to replace him. Kane or Haaland would do nicely and there's no need to tell me how unlikely that is again!

If/When.he does leave we arguably need two replacements. When he came off the bench today there were no real other attacking options on the bench who you could say were going to come on and change the game or do some different. I know Martial is out injured but we could with do with a top class striker and someone to provide cover from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll certainly miss him, I think he has been one of our most influential players this season.

Replacing him will be key. A 19 year old wonderkid aside, we'll be back to not having a striker again. Not very Super Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought today's game was a real indication of where we are as a team right now and that's neither a criticism nor a compliment.

- McFred double pivot lacks creativity, tempo and composure for these games, Pogba dropping back helps but isn't quite the answer either.
    - still poor at defending set pieces, especially against sides who are very good offensively
    - keeper situation is a bit messy
    - team keeps showing patience and real mental strength to win these games
    - thought there was some real positive wide play on both sides of the pitch against a low block
    - the team seems to do a relatively good job at seeing out a game these days

How so?

The Big teams carry the league, always have.

Carry the league? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The goal we conceded today, Maguire should have been making Tarkowski not AWB, or else maybe my own idea on how to handle it, Maguire should stand on the goal line and run out to meet the ball, no way is he clearing that cross from a standing still position, he has no momentum at all,

But just go back to old school marking, big man marks the big man, and let AWB mark zonal.

Burnley got another corner and AWB picked up Tarkowski for it again but the corner was cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have no idea what is going on with this Super League stuff. It sounds like a bad idea purely because it was never going to be received well.

But..... this could he glorious if the government or governing powers decided to implement laws to force the Glazers out. That would be the biggest sickner ever.

I also think a Glazer owned club trying to repair a reputation going into the Summer may force them to spend money to distract us. Ha.

Doesn’t look like any club will be making an announcement tonight unless they want to leave it late.

Wonder what’s going on behind the scenes.

Anyone else scratch their head when Deano was trying to come out to header a ball with a cap on?

That could have been a disaster if it hit the lip haha

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Anyone else scratch their head when Deano was trying to come out to header a ball with a cap on?

That could have been a disaster if it hit the lip haha

Yep. Including that and a few other shaky moments, I didn't have confidence in him at all today.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1383897743861510149?s=19

Man oh man, I know it won’t happen, and God knows who’d replace them, but I’d love if this just made the Glaziers walk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Has someone created a meme yet of Maguire looking confused after conceding a goal from a set piece?
    I've lost count of how many times the cameras panned to Harry's confused looking mush after we've conceded from a free or corner.

Yep. Including that and a few other shaky moments, I didn't have confidence in him at all today.

Yeah today wasn’t a great showing for him.
    We’ve seen him a lot more composed.

Anyway a good well needed result. Now time to win the league ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement