Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Not a hope if you where one of the top.playera this is potentially earning you tens of millions extra over your career money talks.

The only hope for the is that the likes of boris and macron have mentioned bringing in legislation against it. Aside from that it's a done deal

But do you need "tens of millions". Does Pogba need more, does KDB need more.....like its not like they are earning fcuk all as it is.

Some surely will say, I dont need to sell my soul for more.

Granted I know plenty will take the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose sacked.

I wonder did he speak up about this Super League nonsense. Did feel like he was on the brink but they've the Carabao Final coming up, odd timing.

Seeing reports he refused to engage in training today.

Love Jose. Has turned his looming sacking into a heroic moment for himself. Proper classic.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But do you need "tens of millions". Does Pogba need more, does KDB need more.....like its not like they are earning fcuk all as it is.

Some surely will say, I dont need to sell my soul for more.

Granted I know plenty will take the money.

You always want more. Some very interesting interviews with bill gates where he outlined that it took him a long time to realise generations of his family couldn't spend the money he had earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The players should take astand or they can go **** themselves aswell.

We need players like KDB , Bruno, Pogba, Greiezmann, Sterling, Mane, Kane, Loris come out and take a stand against this. They need to show their true colours.

I get the sentiment but they won't say a word unless it potentially affects involvement in international football and even then only half would give a ****. All of those players, if they were happy and wanted to move as a result, have limited options left where they could attract the same salaries etc.

If this does go ahead, I genuinely would probably knock supporting United on the head. The premise of a league with no consequence for poor performance just sanitizes the league. The Premier league and champions league have problems but the bar is low enough for these clubs to maximise incomes. This actually just lowers it further and leeches like the Glazers are the only ones who benefit.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I get the sentiment but they won't say a word unless it potentially affects involvement in international football and even then only half would give a ****. All of those players, if they were happy and wanted to move as a result, have limited options left where they could attract the same salaries etc.

If this does go ahead, I genuinely would probably knock supporting United on the head. The premise of a league with no consequence for poor performance just sanitizes the league. The Premier league and champions league have problems but the bar is low enough for these clubs to maximise incomes. This actually just lowers it further and leeches like the Glazers are the only ones who benefit.

Me to, though where I would throw my hate is another thing. I have spent my life since age 6 following United. I wouldnt feel right following anoteh rteam, however I wouldnt be backing United.

Its the last cent they are getting off me now until the Glazers go.

• Advertisement

Me to, though where I would throw my hate is another thing. I have spent my life since age 6 following United. I wouldnt feel right following anoteh rteam, however I wouldnt be backing United.

Its the last cent they are getting off me now until the Glazers go.

Same, almost 30 years since I got my first Jersey but no more. As for where I'll go, this might give a boost to the LOI and domestic football. Doubtful though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jose gone from Spurs, was hoping they would hold onto him for another few years

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seeing reports he refused to engage in training today.

Love Jose. Has turned his looming sacking into a heroic moment for himself. Proper classic.

It's odd he didn't hang on to mastermind a League Cup win #winning

There's certainly some spite in this sacking one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Jose gone from Spurs, was hoping they would hold onto him for another few years

Bit of a harsh sacking.. Just when he helped them qualify for the ESL... ;)

Same, almost 30 years since I got my first Jersey but no more. As for where I'll go, this might give a boost to the LOI and domestic football. Doubtful though

If I hadnt already set my thoughts on a Mervel game, I would so set up an ESL werewolf game....... just 1 villager representing the fans against all the Glazers and co as wolves.

• Advertisement

Completely pointless but just unfollowed them on all social media channels and it made me feel better.

It'll go ahead and a younger generation will be into it for a few years but I hope it fails miserably. Maybe I'm just too old and not with it anymore. Need that Grandpa Simpson meme

If I hadnt already set my thoughts on a Mervel game, I would so set up an ESL werewolf game....... just 1 villager representing the fans against all the Glazers and co as wolves.

The Premier league game never got done a few years ago :( More juice in it now id say :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

without thinking about the structures or how bad it might be for clubs not invloved in it.... it would be a disaster from the point of view of United fans, imo.

The Glazers already don't care about winning the league, only finishing top 4 to make the CL for the CL money.

What motivation will there be for them to allow funding of a truly competitive United side when we will be in the ESL regardless of performance within it or within the PL?

United don't care about winning, it only cares about money. When the money is taken care of without winning.....

And just existing will not generate money to sustain the 'big' idea.

If Manchester United face Arsenal in a game to see who will be in 9th and 10th of league B would anyone want to watch it?

It might work for American sports but football fans have been conditioned to the need for results to have an importance. League title, champions league places, Europa League places, staying away from relegation, getting out of relegation. Take that away and interest will die off.

The idea we could have United v Bayern or Real v Liverpool and the games mean nothing to one side would be such a shame for the game as a whole.

Even if United v Bayern with both teams doing well in their league could mean nothing if they are both comfortable in the top three.

Personally I am not a fan of a league with 10 teams playing a series of games to just find out who gets into the next round so I am already at a point where I would not be in favour of the idea - but I just don't see how this idea would actually work in the medium term.

I mentioned in the other thread it looks like Real and Barca getting other clubs to underwrite their refinancing.

The Premier league game never got done a few years ago :( More juice in it now id say :D

Perez as Alpha, Joel as his BG second in command with lap dog Woodie. It write itself.

DM_7 wrote: »

If Manchester United face Arsenal in a game to see who will be in 9th and 10th of league B would anyone want to watch it?

It might work for American sports but football fans have been conditioned to the need for results to have an importance. League title, champions league places, Europa League places, staying away from relegation, getting out of relegation. Take that away and interest will die off.

The idea we could have United v Bayern or Real v Liverpool and the games mean nothing to one side would be such a shame for the game as a whole.

Even if United v Bayern with both teams doing well in their league could mean nothing if they are both comfortable in the top three.

Personally I am not a fan of a league with 10 teams playing a series of games to just find out who gets into the next round so I am already at a point where I would not be in favour of the idea - but I just don't see how this idea would actually work in the medium term.

I mentioned in the other thread it looks like Real and Barca getting other clubs to underwrite their refinancing.

If big games happen each week, they are no longer big games.... no longer special. The fact the happen now and then makes them so much more exciting.

When everything is special, nothing is special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If big games happen each week, they are no longer big games.... no longer special. The fact the happen now and then makes them so much more exciting.

When everything is special, nothing is special.

Exactly, what's seldom is wonderful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even American sports MLS/NBA/NFL still have an incentive (although kinda wonky) to start loosing/tanking if/when they realise they arent competing at the top this year. Or even to try and showcase players so they can trade for more valuable pieces.

The annual draft to sign up rookies is done in reverse order so if you finish last you get to pick the best player from that years draft. That best rookie could be the player to push the team onwards.

Also no real transfer fees either its all trades and matched salaries with a salary/tax cap to follow to prevent any super teams dominating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It does feel like their debt is a key driver for this. It's like a bail out for the financing of Messi's wages over the past decade.

I think you also have the traditional Italian teams concerned about their relevance in the current pecking order of European football given their tradition.

Then you've got the PL clubs all dazzled by this potential cash cow.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It does feel like their debt is a key driver for this. It's like a bail out for the financing of Messi's wages over the past decade.

I think you also have the traditional Italian teams convened about their relevance in the current pecking order of European football given their tradition.

Then you've got the PL clubs all dazzled by this potential cash cow.

Spurs dont want to be left behind.

Juve, Barca and Real are all in because lets face it, they have been underperforming financially.

United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea want more money.

In the end its all greed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

04c5eec5-6965-46ef-b1ce-e3c5b804f217
    Hypocritical ****ing vermin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The players should take astand or they can go **** themselves aswell.

We need players like KDB , Bruno, Pogba, Greiezmann, Sterling, Mane, Kane, Loris come out and take a stand against this. They need to show their true colours.

Yeah that colour is green.........

Corporations spew this crap all the time. Meaningless pandering.

Take WWE..... they say "they always listen to fans and give the people what they want".

When in reality, its "we will tell you what you like and take your money".

Glazers are no different.

I'd say Ole is glad we don't have a midweek game this week. No press conferences to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

loyatemu wrote: »
    Rashford is one who might speak out against it. Klopp too. But they're all under contract to their clubs at the end of the day.

Klopp has already spoken against it, I wonder how long it will be before he's told to zip it by the hierarchy!! Players and managers are just employees in these multi billion dollar industries..........crooks the lot of them!

Exactly wrote: »
    I'd say Ole is glad we don't have a midweek game this week. No press conferences to deal with.

Did you see him squirm yesterday, hes never gonna speak out against this. He has his dream job and his footballing morals wont be present here.

Hes a low rent yes company man. Keane and Neville didnt hesitate to give their opinion, and Ole's lack of opinion shows me which side he is on.

be interesting to see where Klopp stands now.

04c5eec5-6965-46ef-b1ce-e3c5b804f217

I don't get the criticism in relation to the fans, will fans not be allowed attend European super league games?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

To be fair, I would never publicly speak out against my employer unless they are commiting war crimes or something equally horrible (at which point I would have quit already).

Don't equate silence for agreement. That said he might not care and/or be for it as well but silence != agreement. People jump too quickly to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jose sacked.

I wonder did he speak up about this Super League nonsense. Did feel like he was on the brink but they've the Carabao Final coming up, odd timing.

Typical Jose really, all about himself.

I wonder if Levy grasped an opportunity as well... If Jose refused to do his job, can Spurs just end his contract without a big pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He plays for PSG.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Did you see him squirm yesterday, hes never gonna speak out against this. He has his dream job and his footballing morals wont be present here.

Hes a low rent yes company man. Keane and Neville didnt hesitate to give their opinion, and Ole's lack of opinion shows me which side he is on.

2 men whose only job is to give an opinion didn't hesitate to give an opinion. Hardly surprising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PARlance wrote: »
    Typical Jose really, all about himself.

I wonder if Levy grasped an opportunity as well... If Jose refused to do his job, can Spurs just end his contract without a big pay day.
    His sacking has nothing to do with the ESL. They decided to sack him on Friday. That rumour that he refused to take training has been pretty much stamped down all across twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

His sacking has nothing to do with the ESL. They decided to sack him on Friday. That rumour that he refused to take training has been pretty much stamped down all across twitter.

Not on twitter so not following it as closely but why decide to sack someone on Friday yet wait until Monday to announce it. That wouldn't make much sense to me.

Fcuking done with Utd now, interest waned after SAF retired anyway! Rangers have always been my second team but now they’re getting all my attention. I’ve left all Uniteds social media outlets as well. At least the memories from 1977 to 2013 will always be with me!

It’s not what Sir Matt envisaged when he brought United into Europe in the 50s and we all know the huge sacrifice that cost them in 58!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[James Ducker] Manchester United held a fans’ forum on Friday, and neglected to tell any supporters present about the club’s plans to join the Super League. Ed Woodward previously promised to keep supporters abreast of any developments regarding European competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [James Ducker] Manchester United held a fans’ forum on Friday, and neglected to tell any supporters present about the club’s plans to join the Super League. Ed Woodward previously promised to keep supporters abreast of any developments regarding European competitions

Wow.

Classy Ed, classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So one rumour trumps another? Is that how this works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Proof positive, if it was ever needed, the American owners have killed what the club once was and what it once stood for.

https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status/1384093651702140937?s=19

PSG players can speak out but I imagine a lot of players will feel this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status/1384093651702140937?s=19

PSG players can speak out but I imagine a lot of players will feel this way.

Neymar and Di Maria prob crying over money they stand to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is_that_so wrote: »
    So one rumour trumps another? Is that how this works?

Yes, when the rumour about training comes from a rebranded Everton Fan account on twitter claiming to be a person that doesn't exist, employed by the Financial Times in a position that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I don't get the criticism in relation to the fans, will fans not be allowed attend European super league games?

You really think all of the games will be in the home team's stadium? No, they'll be going off to Dubai, Doha, Beijing, New York

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You really think all of the games will be in the home team's stadium? No, they'll be going off to Dubai, Doha, Beijing, New York

Until something says otherwise, yes. I think the game will be played in the stadiums the teams own. Not going to jump to conclusions to find other things to whinge about when there is already so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Tbh folks. I can't see this happening. It's all posturing to get a better deal with Uefa for the Champions League. It might happen eventually but not within the next few years imo.

Where did you see this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes, when the rumour about training comes from a rebranded Everton Fan account on twitter claiming to be a person that doesn't exist, employed by the Financial Times in a position that doesn't exist.
    Both sound like that player with a pulse being linked to any old team rumour. The other one sounds just as bizarre. Why dump a manager you're clearly getting rid of in the summer with 6 games to go?

Theyve been pushing it for years..... this is surely going to be a reality now.

The fans that built the club are an after thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ole stands to lose a lot of money if he speaks out. Klopp would not be in the same position as he would probably get a higher paying job yesterday.

United have played 2 games v Atletico Madrid, 4 v Inter, 11 games v Real Madrid, 12 v AC Milan, 13 games v Barcelona, 14 v Juventus in their history.

Could now be playing these clubs on a regular basis.

It is so far removed form what makes European competitions special, earning a right to play and then going up against actual teams of players (not the clubs) that have earned that right and deserve to be regarded as amongst the best at that time.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ole stands to lose a lot of money if he speaks out. Klopp would not be in the same position as he would probably get a higher paying job yesterday.

I agree, Im not expecting him to speak out.

But Id love just 1 person stand up for whats right. Ill be left waiting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement