Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

100% and the way CL has gone in more recent history has brought us to this point. non contest group stages with smaller euro clubs who dont have a chance v "top 4" sides from the bigger league.
    PSG Munich was probably the best CL match Ive watched since that Spurs/Ajax game. The tension you get from knockout football + away goals makes it a better watch. Taking that away for 3 points x 5-6 games vs one another a season or whatever its hard for me anyway to see how it doesnt lose its shine quickly. Obviously younger supporters/those further afield might feel different

Old EC was where it was most exciting. Every game felt big, real cup final feel to all games. knockout games over 2 legs, no league.

But that format doesn't maximize money. Why have 2 games when you can have 6. Not a fan of the current format but I have accepted it. A ESL doesnt interest me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Hococop wrote: »
    "Sky have some neck to be criticizing this after they wanted to make Burnley v Newcastle a 20 quid PPV not so long ago Admittedly, they reversed the decision quickly"

My friend said this and he is right, I mean like me he and all my friends hate the idea of this super league

This might have been replied to already but from what I understand, this was an initiative by the clubs to recoup money lost from ticket sales - not something brought about by the TV companies like Sky & BT (AFAIK)

Edit: just checked, it was brought about by the premier league. Gary Neville spoke out against this also. But yeah, similar point. Not something we can blame the TV companies for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I could certainly see the final being staged outside Europe, maybe the 4th/5th place playoffs as well. And I as I mentioned up the thread, how long before there's pressure to move some of the clubs around for better geographical spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Theyve been pushing it for years..... this is surely going to be a reality now.

The fans that built the club are an after thought

United Stand mentioned someone on the board referring to season ticket and life long fans as 'legacy' fans. They want to milk the 'new' consumers in these regions now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

loyatemu wrote: »
    I could certainly see the final being staged outside Europe, maybe the 4th/5th place playoffs as well. And I as I mentioned up the thread, how long before there's pressure to move some of the clubs around for better geographical spread?

Exactly, 3 London clubs - 2 from north London and 2 Manchester clubs with the 6th club 35 miles away in Liverpool. Not spread out enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Old EC was where it was most exciting. Every game felt big, real cup final feel to all games. knockout games over 2 legs, no league.

But that format doesn't maximize money. Why have 2 games when you can have 6. Not a fan of the current format but I have accepted it. A ESL doesnt interest me in the slightest.

Did United vs Hibernians (of Malta) did not feel like a big game to United?
    Or Sarajevo of Bosnia?
    Or Górnik Zabrze of Poland?
    I'll say the Madrid and Benfica games did, but the other 3 in the run to the 68 final? Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Or Sarajevo of Bosnia?
    I'll say the Madrid and Benfica games did, but the other 3 in the run to the 68 final? Come on.

Would the fact that they are knockout not add an edge to it?

Why would playing Real Madrid for the 8th time in 4 years when you are potentially rock bottom of the ESL without fear of relegation be a big game?

Or Sarajevo of Bosnia?

I couldn't tell you how exciting them games were. I wasnt alive to watch them live.

Im basing my post off of games in europe before the champions league was formed in the early 90s. Not necessarily United ones too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Being the best in the world or making a clique to keep out the world.

Perez is more corrupted than Blatter

Glazers Out Woodward Out Super League ask me bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Monday night football with Nev and Carra tonight

should be a great watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Being the best in the world or making a clique to keep out the world.

Perez is more corrupted than Blatter

Glazers Out Woodward Out Super League ask me bollox

As a United fan I despise the Glazers, however Florentino Perez has to be the most despicable character in football. Blatter was a swine to say the least and John Delaney was an opportunistic scumbag but Perez wants nothing less than complete personal dominance of the sport.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Headshot wrote: »

should be a great watch

Not really two lads handsomely payed by sky sports who fund the Premier league talking about the latest threat to the Premier league? I could script it now for you.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

loyatemu wrote: »

Ya I can see this happening as well down the line, the American owners would love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The script for Nev and Carra is being written as we speak. Don't expect any groundbreaking debate here, this all began with Sky, this new proposal is just an extension of that. This won't be mentioned, I can guarantee that

should be a great watch

Cant wait to see Kloop and Bielsa (through his interpreter though) react.

Sky will be pressing them too as they have a lot to lose in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not really two lads handsomely payed by sky sports who fund the Premier league talking about the latest threat to the Premier league? I could script it now for you.

Would you prefer if they dragged two unemployed lads from the pu... the street to go on instead?

The "script" isn't that hard to predict, they are also fans of their clubs and will probably represent the vast majority of fans.

People may say that as well as being on the payroll of Sky, that Neville may have a vested interest due to Salford... But tbh, anyone who has paid any attention to Neville knows what his stance would be regardless of these ties.

This whole angle that they are paid puppets for Sky is nonsense imo, it's not as if they couldn't jump ship to Danz or whoever if money was their only concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The script for Nev and Carra is being written as we speak. Don't expect any groundbreaking debate here, this all began with Sky, this new proposal is just an extension of that. This won't be mentioned, I can guarantee that

Sky are probably scrambling to secure rights to the new league anyway.

It’s all business, these are no longer football clubs, havnt been for years.

The owners can make millions where they are or more millions if they can pull this off - it’s a no brained for them, the phrase “legacy fans” is a new one and sums up the feeling the owners have for what most people see as the heart of football.

I’m sure they have had the best lawyers run the rule on all this but could you imagine they were turfed out of the PL? Isn’t the PL rule that you need 14 teams to make a change, wouldn’t be surprised to see another English team in the mix to protect their domestic league spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

The more I look at this, the more I think it's a power play. I think over the coming days we will see a meeting and they will hash something out which gives the 'big' clubs a bigger slice of the pie.

I just cannot envisage how they will be able to force this through in the short term. There is going to be a lot of legal wrangling.

I'm fairly sickened that we have backed it. I'm not in the least bit surprised given the owners but it's a stomach punch non the less.

Impossible, but I'd love for the UK Government to step in and do some sort of reform where they enforced that the game move to a similar model to that in Germany where fans maintain controlling interest. Pipe dream stuff though.

Doesnt mean it wont be fascinating. Sky have a horse in this race and you can bet they will at least press Klopp on his opinion. That alone will be fascinating viewing.

Whether Neville or Carra are employed by Sky or not will not take away from how interesting it will be, whether Sky put words in their mouths or not.

**** sake everyone on here is critasizing it but when a player or commentator do so they don't count because they work for sky or play for psg or aren't a working man yet if they said nothing they'd get even more grief. No reason to to take care a or neville at their word if sky get rights and then they change their tune feel free to have a go then

• Advertisement

The more I look at this, the more I think it's a power play. I think over the coming days we will see a meeting and they will hash something out which gives the 'big' clubs a bigger slice of the pie.

I just cannot envisage how they will be able to force this through in the short term. There is going to be a lot of legal wrangling.

I'm fairly sickened that we have backed it. I'm not in the least bit surprised given the owners but it's a stomach punch non the less.

Impossible, but I'd love for the UK Government to step in and do some sort of reform where they enforced that the game move to a similar model to that in Germany where fans maintain controlling interest. Pipe dream stuff though.

Its obvious a power play, a stunt to get leverage for more money and power. The 12 clubs all look like they are willing to go through with it, whethe rit happens is anothet thing. Its high stacks blackmail.

Who will blink first?

Either way, the fans will lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Even if UTD were against it, the money is so big, they couldn’t risk being out. Saying that I’m sure they were leading it.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Even if UTD were against it, the money is so big, they couldn’t risk being out. Saying that I’m sure they were leading it.

Joel Glazer as Vice pres tells you how invested Utd are in it...... they havent simply tagged along, they helped instigate it.

More snakes involved in this than a hunzo's facebook post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Or Sarajevo of Bosnia?

Context shouldn't be lost here.
    There was less of a descrepency in standards between leagues back then, with most players playing in the country they were from.

Sarajevo were not the Champions of Bosnia at the time (which wasn't an independent country), but the Champions of Yugoslavia. That's Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo combined for any younger people who mightn't know what it was made up of.

Gornik Zabrze had knocked out Dyanamo Kiev, not just the Ukrainian Champions of the day, but the Champions of the whole Soviet Union.
    Kiev having beaten Celtic (The holders) in the round previous to that.
    Even Hibernians managed to draw one of the legs with United.

A League of Ireland select XI played a (English) Football League select XI in 1971. They Lost 2-1.
    8 years prior a LOI XI beat an FA XI 2-1.

Football used to be a lot more competitive and this is one of the reason there's such a backlash to these proposals. They're designed to remove the competitive element, to ensure a select few clubs meet their for targets on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Joel Glazer as Vice pres tells you how invested Utd are in it...... they havent simply tagged along, they helped instigate it.

More snakes involved in this than a hunzo's facebook post.

Yeap.

The fact that Real Madrid control the "top" seat, and Arsenal, Liverpool and United hold the VP slots, show that these are the four clubs driving this. We aren't getting dragged into something. We're the ones starting this.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeap.

The fact that Real Madrid control the "top" seat, and Arsenal, Liverpool and United hold the VP slots, show that these are the four clubs driving this. We aren't getting dragged into something. We're the ones starting this.

Dan Roan of the BBC reports that Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United are the ESL ringleaders. They drove this. the pushed it to other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Dan Roan of the BBC reports that Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United are the ESL ringleaders. They drove this. the pushed it to other clubs.

If only was some link to why these three clubs were the ringleaders. A real noodle scratcher that one.

Woodward is such a nasty piece of work.

Last week he called UEFA president to say he was happy with the Champions league changes and when their back was turned good old Ed stabs him in the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

President of UEFA calling Woodward out as one of the main instigators in this, even calling him out for all the lies he supposedly told UEFA.

I always new the die hard United fans knew what he was like. Hence the abuse he used to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

xtal191 wrote: »

Happy he's one of , if not the first Super League player to indirectly come out against this travesty.

But if this sh*tshow means Bruno decides to leave the club in the coming months .... :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bruno putting a message up on Instagram, saying "Dreams Cant Be Buy" in response to Podence coming out against this.

https://imgur.com/LXfdqUE

President of UEFA calling Woodward out as one of the main instigators in this, even calling him out for all the lies he supposedly told UEFA.

I always new the die hard United fans knew what he was like. Hence the abuse he used to get.

It's being backed by JP Morgan to the tune of $6 Billion and Ed is a former employee of ......

Says it all really. You'd wonder how long the Glazers and himself have been hatching these plans.

Exactly wrote: »
    It's being backed by JP Morgan to the tune of $6 Billion and Ed is a former employee of ......

Says it all really. You'd wonder how long the Glazers and himself have been hatching these plans.

Long long time. He never had an interest in the fans or more so success of the club. All he was ever interested in was the profits. Couldn't bring myself to support a club anymore being ran by these kinds of scumbags.

This could end up utd getting kicked out the Europa League

Woodward is such a nasty piece of work.

Last week he called UEFA president to say he was happy with the Champions league changes and when their back was turned good old Ed stabs him in the back

Eds just a lap dog, the big bad will be Glazers and other owners. Ed's just a tool, in more ways than one.

Woodward the biggest snake around and god damn i ****ing want him out of our club more than ever

• Advertisement

Rightly so. I hope it all goes tits up for the Glazers.

But sure Joel has to have that extra pile of money. Fcuk the hard work the players do to get us there aye.

And rightly so. I couldn't give a fcuk for the rest of the season.

If only was some link to why these three clubs were the ringleaders. A real noodle scratcher that one.

I wouldn't believe it, to be honest. Real Madrid/Perez have been beating this drum for YEARS. I would be shocked if they weren't right at the forefront of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Woodward the biggest snake around and god damn i ****ing want him out of our club more than ever

Delighted to see his behaviour called out like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Very likely imo. How utterly weak & stupid would UEFA look now to crown Man Utd or Arsenal as winners of the Europa league after all that's happening. Same goes for the champions league.

Kick the lot of them out. Roma vs Villarael for the Europa final and I guess PSG win the Champions league then.

Happy he's one of , if not the first Super League player to indirectly come out against this travesty.

But if this sh*tshow means Bruno decides to leave the club in the coming months .... :o

Well if we leave and if Bruno decides to leave, then he wont be alone, I and many fans will join him.

• Advertisement

Very likely imo. How utterly weak & stupid would UEFA look now to crown Man Utd or Arsenal as winners of the Europa league after all that's happening. Same goes for the champions league.

Kick the lot of them out. Roma vs Villarael for the Europa final and I guess PSG win the Champions league then.

Doing so would also mean no CL final, and giving PSG the trophy now, as the other 3 semi-finalists are all part of this ESL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Well if we leave and if Bruno decides to leave, then he wont be alone, I and many fans will join him.

The only problem really (and I fully support protests and fans showing their displeasure and everything else we can do to turn this back) is that for every fan in England or Ireland or Europe, there is 10 or 100 "fans" in Asia/Africa/US/wherever than won't give a fck about this. And they will still buy the merchandise and pay the TV money and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Very hard to punish people legally for something not yet done

Doing so would also mean no CL final, and giving PSG the trophy now, as the other 3 semi-finalists are all part of this ESL.

Yep, they are in a tough spot in that regard. I dont think FIFA or UEFA can actually do anything until a club breaks the rules. Powerless at this stage Id imagine.

Dacelonid wrote: »
    The only problem really (and I fully support protests and fans showing their displeasure and everything else we can do to turn this back) is that for every fan in England or Ireland or Europe, there is 10 or 100 "fans" in Asia/Africa/US/wherever than won't give a fck about this. And they will still buy the merchandise and pay the TV money and so on.

Protests are useless. The Glazers and others know they can accomplish what they want without homegrown fans.

if anything it will just push them towards international venues, which they already want.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement