Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might want to get the calculator out Parlance.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Robson99 wrote: »
    What would lads think of Dominic Calvert-Lewin as an option instead of Haaland. Not suggesting Everton should be selling him but money talks

In no universe is DCL an alternative to someone like Haaland. :)

I'm struggling to think off-hand who would be though. My ability to keep up with football who's who has vastly diminished in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Can we clear one thing up. I've seen the word "treble" being mentioned by a couple of people over the past day. Man Utd are out of the Champions League. There's only one treble and that's the League, Champions League & FA Cup. Utd cannot win this. Maybe some people think Utd can win the League, FA Cup and Europa League this year. While to me that's fantasy thinking right now, it'd be an amazing and unbelievable achievement. But it's not the treble! Call it something else if you need a singular word for winning all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can we clear one thing up. I've seen the word "treble" being mentioned by a couple of people over the past day. Man Utd are out of the Champions League. There's only one treble and that's the League, Champions League & FA Cup. Utd cannot win this. Maybe some people think Utd can win the League, FA Cup and Europa League this year. While to me that's fantasy thinking right now, it'd be an amazing and unbelievable achievement. But it's not the treble! Call it something else if you need a singular word for winning all 3.

The Terreble. Not as good as the treble but not terrible either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think most of us still think we won’t even win a trophy, never mind a treble.

We are just enjoying the dizzy heights we have not seen in a while. We all know we are a injury or 2 away from struggling to get Top 4 never mind lifting a trophy.

If in 2 months time we are still going as strong as we are now then ya I think we start to hope. But for now I think Top 3 and maybe a run in the cup would be decent and can build from there.

The fixture list is going be so crammed and Ole really need to use the squad so much better then he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Monday morning, top of the league and just knocked liverpool out of the cup

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

While I would obviously love United to sign Haaland, they should 100% be working on other targets and plans, and not end up like the Sancho s-show.

United can not allow themselves to yet again miss out on a primary target and have no backup plans in place so that we aren't left with a huge weakness in the squad.

It has already happened with Haaland once, would be pathetic for it to happen again.

I would also think there is an argument for just forgetting about him as is. We aren't going to sign him this summer and going into next season with Martial and Cavani would feel like a stupid decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

While I would obviously love United to sign Haaland, they should 100% be working on other targets and plans, and not end up like the Sancho s-show.

United can not allow themselves to yet again miss out on a primary target and have no backup plans in place so that we aren't left with a huge weakness in the squad.

It has already happened with Haaland once, would be pathetic for it to happen again.

I would also think there is an argument for just forgetting about him as is. We aren't going to sign him this summer and going into next season with Martial and Cavani would feel like a stupid decision.

Who would you be looking at instead of Halland? Great strikers are hard to come by these days and I don’t see a lot of options.

The fixture list is going be so crammed and Ole really need to use the squad so much better then he has.

Maguire, AWB and Bruno aside, is he not already rotating with very good effect?

I think he's doing a very good job on that front myself and it's probably a big part of why we sit top of the league at this stage.

I've no real issue with Maguire and Bruno playing most games, they seem well able for it. I would like to see AWB get rotated a bit more but that would be more for tactical reasons and we haven't an attacking FB in the squad to do so imo.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Who would you be looking at instead of Halland? Great strikers are hard to come by these days and I don’t see a lot of options.

no idea - haaland is clear and away the best option out there. But he has already rejected United once, so the chances of United signing him aren't high imo. He will have his pick of clubs.

So United have to be looking for other players to improve the e starting line up. Maybe it is DCL, maybe its not. I don't know who, but I know putting all our eggs into the basket of a player who has already rejected us before would seem silly.

no idea - haaland is clear and away the best option out there. But he has already rejected United once, so the chances of United signing him aren't high imo. He will have his pick of clubs.

So United have to be looking for other players to improve the e starting line up. Maybe it is DCL, maybe its not. I don't know who, but I know putting all our eggs into the basket of a player who has already rejected us before would seem silly.

I can't see why Cavani couldn't go for another 18-30 months. We've Greenwood there ready when the time is right, and another couple of years would be ideal for his development.

I don't think DCL is the real deal at all and I wouldn't go near Haaland as it stands.

The only reason I would be going for a relatively young striker would be if Greenwood was seen more as a 10.

Holy FOOK.

Lampard sacked by chelsea.

Imagine if United held its manager to the same standard, Ole would have been out on his ear 12 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Holy FOOK.

Imagine if United held its manager to the same standard, Ole would have been out on his ear 12 months ago.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Not really a surprise, that kind of investment demands better results. They are only 5 points behind LFC, klopp could be looking over his shoulder if things don't improve.

• Advertisement

Haaland didnt reject United, United pulled out of the deal to sign him, he would have been a united player if we agreed to the demands of the agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

bangkok wrote: »
    Haaland didnt reject United, United pulled out of the deal to sign him, he would have been a united player if we agreed to the demands of the agent

Speculation

And if your speculation is true, we'd be faced with much the same issues to sign him now/this summer

duffman13 wrote: »
    Speculation

And if your speculation is true, we'd be faced with much the same issues to sign him now/this summer

not speculation, ole basically confirmed it at the time, cant have agents in control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Holy FOOK.

Yeah but they didn't and it managed to break the cycle of regression to 7th every 2nd year (could still happen though I guess).

Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

There is no point in signing Haaland. United would just be a stepping stone and there would be constant agitation from Raiola after year one. He is Barca or Real bound, let him get there straight away and focus on other players.

• Advertisement

anyone notice Klopp over chatting to Pogba after the game yesterday laughing and joking, imagine ole lost to liverpool and he was seen doing that with one of the liverpool players, this place would explode!

The agent he employed.

He had a contract offer from United, he picked the Dortmund one.

You keep dressing this up as if Haaland is a slave. If he wanted to sign for United, he'd be a United player. He rejected United.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I'd like to see Bruno tried as a false 9 who drops deep with Rashford and Greenwood either side with a midfield behind of Scotty, Pogba and Fred.

Could be very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I would be disappointed if United aren't at least looking very closely at the Haaland situation but I echo whoever says we should have very clear fallback plans in place.

If our expectation of United is for them to be the best in the world why would we not want them attempting the buy top tier talent.

Hoping it's not a coincidence that Cavani will likely be at United up until the transfer window where Haalands release clause kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

With Lampard being sacked, I would hope that gives us a better chance of signing Declan Rice in the summer. I always thought Lampard would swing that deal but since he's gone and Tuchel looks like he'll be coming in, I'm sure he'll focus on france and germany much more than Lampard would have

The agent he employed.

He had a contract offer from United, he picked the Dortmund one.

You keep dressing this up as if Haaland is a slave. If he wanted to sign for United, he'd be a United player. He rejected United.

he didnt have an offer, when United seen the terms the agent wanted and the release clause they wanted they didnt put an offer in. Was widely reported at the time

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    With Lampard being sacked, I would hope that gives us a better chance of signing Declan Rice in the summer. I always thought Lampard would swing that deal but since he's gone and Tuchel looks like he'll be coming in, I'm sure he'll focus on france and germany much more than Lampard would have

chelsea managers dont sign the players, they are coaches, players are all signed over their head, always have been since abramovich went in there

Also....Dortmund are running very hot and cold, they've been managerless for quite a while now. League form hasn't been great lately, they're currently in 7th place. They really need Champions league football to be able to play hardball with clubs over Haaland and Sancho, if they finish outside the top 4, it'll be a very interesting summer indeed.

chelsea managers dont sign the players, they are coaches, players are all signed over their head, always have been since abramovich went in there
    I think Conte is the only obvious example of that. Mourinho was definitely in charge of recruitment during his tenure

I think Conte is the only obvious example of that. Mourinho was definitely in charge of recruitment during his tenure

not sure about that, he openly said he never wanted Shevchenko

• Advertisement

he didnt have an offer, when United seen the terms the agent wanted and the release clause they wanted they didnt put an offer in. Was widely reported at the time

He did have an offer. Was widely reported at the time.

The agent then counter offered with his own demands - of which Haaland is 100% responsible.

Haaland had an offer from United that didn't match what Haalands team wanted.
    Haaland had an offer from Dortmund that did match what Haalands team wanted.

Haaland rejected the offer from United and signed for Dortmund.

Even if your summation was 100% true the reality would be

1. Haaland knew United wanted him.
    2. Haaland knew United wouldn't agree a release fee.
    3. Haaland rejected United on the basis he wanted a release fee.

ie. Haaland rejected United.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭crank_1975

Haven't looked at the match thread but has there been any talk about how poor VDB was? He looked lost and seemed to be walking around a lot of the time. I don't know what he offers tbh, hes not a box to box midfielder, doesn't look like a 10 and wouldn't be a holding midfielder so what exactly does he bring to the table?

The Athletic have a good piece on the Chelsea situation and they've been spot on in recent weeks which prompted a bit of a reaction from Frank at the weekend.

They're sources say Lampard was the one pushing for Rice but the powers that be at the club feel a big money move for an academy reject would be an embarrassment.

Also gives some insight into the dangers of a manager having little to no control over recruitment. A director of football is all well and good but as soon as results dip and relations deteriorate then it's very easy to part ways with the manager.

Have an aversion to signing Rice.... but not to trying to sign Lukaku for a second time?

I am happy about the prospect of United maybe getting an easier run at Rice. But I can still see Chelsea going for him, and City too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the match thread but has there been any talk about how poor VDB was? He looked lost and seemed to be walking around a lot of the time. I don't know what he offers tbh, hes not a box to box midfielder, doesn't look like a 10 and wouldn't be a holding midfielder so what exactly does he bring to the table?

He looked like he was lacking confidence. I remember one occasion when he was played in on the right wing and he just stopped and played the ball back. It was like he wasn’t sure of himself. Hopefully it’s a case of needing to adapt to the team and we’ll see the real him next season (a bit like Fred).

Have an aversion to signing Rice.... but not to trying to sign Lukaku for a second time?

I am happy about the prospect of United maybe getting an easier run at Rice. But I can still see Chelsea going for him, and City too.
    I guess there's a slight difference between being interested in resigning a player that you sold a few years earlier for about twice the fee and splashing out a big fee on someone you let walk away for free. It's also possible that Chelsea were reasonably content with how the Lukaku / Morata situation played out that summer.

It's a valid point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

While Halaand is the dream signing for the summer, the money it would take and the hassle his agent brings. I would look for alternatives.

Lauarto Martinez looks like a class player still only 22.

En Naseri is banging goals in la liga, still only 23 one to keep an eye on until the end of the season.

Kevin Volland doing well for Monaco dont know would he suit Oles style of play.

I'd say get rid of Martial, Matic, Mata, Fred and buy

Dembele from Barca.
    Kimmich from Munich.
    Martinez from Inter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

crank_1975 wrote: »

That's it, not particularly good going forward, poor defensively, can't tackle, average work rate and no pace.

I can see why Ole never wanted him. He definitely needs time to adopt, needs games badly too but Ole won't throw anyone in for the sake of it.

piplip87 wrote: »
    While Halaand is the dream signing for the summer, the money it would take and the hassle his agent brings. I would look for alternatives.

En Naseri is banging goals in la liga, still only 23 one to keep an eye on until the end of the season.

Dembele from Barca.
    Kimmich from Munich.
    Martinez from Inter.

fred has been very good, wouldnt be getting rid of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Dembele from Barca.
    Kimmich from Munich.
    Martinez from Inter.
    Ah here, how can you want to get rid of fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Manchester United pulled out of a move for Erling Haaland after they refused to agree to a buyout clause and percentage of future sales. Borussia Dortmund announced the €20million signing of Haaland and sources have told the MEN the player's representatives, including Mino Raiola, wanted to secure a share from future sales of the Norwegian striker as part of the transfer. United were unwilling to meet the proposed terms, with sources describing them as 'bad for the industry'.
    United sources insist Haaland chose to join Dortmund after the club rejected the proposed terms but those close to the Haaland family always expected him to move to Germany. It is understood United were unprepared to put themselves in a position where the agent could effectively control the sell-on, rather than the club.

source manchestereveningnews

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Christ i hope not, it would be my worst nightmare if we waste millions on the likes of rice/Calvert-Lewin. Either would be vastly overpriced and IMO not improve the starting 11 at all.

KH25 wrote: »
    He looked like he was lacking confidence. I remember one occasion when he was played in on the right wing and he just stopped and played the ball back. It was like he wasn’t sure of himself. Hopefully it’s a case of needing to adapt to the team and we’ll see the real him next season (a bit like Fred).
    He's done similar in previous games, not so sure it's a matter of confidence either.

The way I see it is that VdB has plenty to his game but his ability to attempt those type passes doesn't appear to be a strong point. Right now this United team needs a certain amount of creativity from their number 10 in the middle third of the pitch and VdB is seeing little time on the pitch as a result.

At the same time Ole is actively looking to improve the team by adding other sides to our game. This is where I can see Donny making a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

jacool wrote: »
    Manchester United pulled out of a move for Erling Haaland after they refused to agree to a buyout clause and percentage of future sales. Borussia Dortmund announced the €20million signing of Haaland and sources have told the MEN the player's representatives, including Mino Raiola, wanted to secure a share from future sales of the Norwegian striker as part of the transfer. United were unwilling to meet the proposed terms, with sources describing them as 'bad for the industry'.
    United sources insist Haaland chose to join Dortmund after the club rejected the proposed terms but those close to the Haaland family always expected him to move to Germany. It is understood United were unprepared to put themselves in a position where the agent could effectively control the sell-on, rather than the club.

source manchestereveningnews

So basically exactly what Mitch has said. United made an offer, Haalands team and by extension the player countered with unfavourable terms United rejected but that BD were happy to agree to, ergo, Haaland rejected United in favour of BD. He could have said he wanted to join United on their terms but did not and chose to go to BD. Not that hard to follow really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Haaland's father said he was never going to Man Utd. He might still hold a grudge.

• Advertisement

So basically exactly what Mitch has said. United made an offer, Haalands team and by extension the player countered with unfavourable terms United rejected but that BD were happy to agree to, ergo, Haaland rejected United in favour of BD. He could have said he wanted to join United on their terms but did not and chose to go to BD. Not that hard to follow really.

so united pulled out of the deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

not sure about that, he openly said he never wanted Shevchenko

And that was when he had control taken off of him and he said f*ck it. Similar to here really.

• piplip87 wrote: »

Dembele from Barca.
    Kimmich from Munich.
    Martinez from Inter.

Here we go again lol

so united pulled out of the deal!

because he rejected our contract.

Dembele from Barca.
    Kimmich from Munich.
    Martinez from Inter.

It’s not football manager. Realistically we could only afford one of them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement