Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Don’t know what to make of VDB situation.Looks like a player who will need a season to settle like Fred
    On the negative side he doesn’t look like a worker plus his moaning thru the media
    Any talk that he could replace Pogba is fantasy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Don’t know what to make of VDB situation.Looks like a player who will need a season to settle like Fred
    On the negative side he doesn’t look like a worker plus his moaning thru the media
    Any talk that he could replace Pogba is fantasy

Can you provide examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Can you provide examples?

Assume its that piece from several months back when his "mentor" was saying he should be playing more.

I think its clear at this point Ole doesn't fancy him so its not implausible to think that he (Donny) was foisted upon him. Possibly a case of Big Ed doing his thang and signing someone that was available for comparatively decent money rather than signing the player(s) the manager wanted. All conjecture of course but something is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And Kimmich is not leaving Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Assume its that piece from several months back when his "mentor" was saying he should be playing more.

I think its clear at this point Ole doesn't fancy him so its not implausible to think that he (Donny) was foisted upon him. Possibly a case of Big Ed doing his thang and signing someone that was available for comparatively decent money rather than signing the player(s) the manager wanted. All conjecture of course but something is going on.

United needed a player to cover Bruno and a more offensive player than Fred and McT to cover for when Pogba left. Pogba wound up staying but it seems like the plan was for him to go in the summer, just with the pandemic a lot of transfer plans didn't get going on the normal merry go round.

VDB will be fine. I don't know why everyone is so worked up about it. He provides competition and can come in and not look out of place at all in any game, like yesterday. If Bruno got injured people would be complaining that Lingard was the next option in the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All for managing a players integration, but he's had 10 league apperances, 2 starts. 1 he played 90, 1 hauled off at half time when any number of players deserved to go and the rest he's had mostly less than 20 mins and 2 just over that.

He's also been played more in the advanced role, where as at Ajax he was more often a central midfield and an AM when required.

I agree if Pogba goes, then that might be his chance but he's also kind of competing with Fred and McTominay too given that his passing is at their level of accuracy, but perhaps a bit more forward looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Weepsie wrote: »
    All for managing a players integration, but he's had 10 league apperances, 2 starts. 1 he played 90, 1 hauled off at half time when any number of players deserved to go and the rest he's had mostly less than 20 mins and 2 just over that.

He's also been played more in the advanced role, where as at Ajax he was more often a central midfield and an AM when required.

I agree if Pogba goes, then that might be his chance but he's also kind of competing with Fred and McTominay too given that his passing is at their level of accuracy, but perhaps a bit more forward looking.

He played, and excelled, in the advanced roll for Ajax the season they got to the CL semi. He moved back last season after De Jong was sold.

Personally I thought he looked intelligent on the ball and a good understanding of space and people around him in his cameo's earlier in the season, but in his last couple of appearances he has disappointed me. He has become hesitant on the ball.

Not sure what to make of him at this point. I reckon he was seen to be a massive upgrade on Pereira and Lingard - we saw those two play last season with Bruno and Bruno dropping into the 8 spot. So I wonder if the plan was Pogba would be sold and it would be *someone*, Bruno and VDB in midfield, game allowing. But I'm also not sure if i'd trust Bruno as an 8, maybe he'd reign his game in a bit. I also read that United saw him more as a shadow striker than a midfielder, which would play into the opinion on Pereira and Lingard.

If United were to sign Rice, for example - could a midfield of these work? Could it have been the eventual plan?

Rice
    Pogba
    Bruno/VDB

or

Rice
    Bruno
    VDB

If we consider that VDB was maybe the alternative to Grealish, it would make sense that he was going to play further forward - again, as a replacement for Lingard/Pereira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

van de beek is unlucky that Bruno and Pogba are in great form, not many players in the world getting in ahead of them on current form.... He just needs to wait his time and when he gets a chance take it, needs a good run of 6 or 7 starts in the team to show what hes worth

I don't think VDB was a signing Ole didn't want - but maybe he wasn't the first choice (Grealish)

I think Pogba staying, and then the rough start to the season impacted things.

I also think VDB needs to up his performances too. He isn't doing his best, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don't think VDB was a signing Ole didn't want - but maybe he wasn't the first choice (Grealish)

I think Pogba staying, and then the rough start to the season impacted things.

I also think VDB needs to up his performances too. He isn't doing his best, imo.

I like him and think he has plenty potential but I'd agree with this.

I wasn't a fan of his dive yesterday, don't like to see any player doing it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the match thread but has there been any talk about how poor VDB was? He looked lost and seemed to be walking around a lot of the time. I don't know what he offers tbh, hes not a box to box midfielder, doesn't look like a 10 and wouldn't be a holding midfielder so what exactly does he bring to the table?

Very harsh to judge a player in his situation on a game here or there tbh, to have had the little football he has had and then be thrown in from the start again Liverpool in a cup game would be tough for anyone to "boss" a game.

No way to find any rhythm with how he has been used so far, but better to hold off on judgement I think until we actually get to see him for a run of games in the team. Look at Fred for a recent example of this.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope we get Pogba on a new contract in the summer.

There are some who don't like him and more who love him, but he can and does make a big difference when fit.
    We need top players, not lose them and when interviewed, he shows a great attitude.
    I know no one is a fan of his agent but it is what it is.
    Once Pogba is doing his best and he is doing his best for us, we should be happy and hope he eventually signs a new contract.

RobertKK wrote: »

There are some who don't like him and more who love him, but he can and does make a big difference when fit.
    We need top players, not lose them and when interviewed, he shows a great attitude.
    Once Pogba is doing his best and he is doing his best for us, we should be happy and hope he eventually signs a new contract.

While he has impressed over the last few weeks, his long term attitude and commitment remains a major concern imo. He has been back at the club nearly 5 years and his recent spell has been the most consistent we have seen from him in that time period, for the outlay in transfer fee and wages thats a very poor return overall. The fact there is a sniff of glory in the air and / or a new contract would indicate thats the reason behind his recent efforts rather than him having an attitudinal epiphany. If he keeps this level up then great, he is worth more to keep but whether he will do that long term is the million dollar question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

RobertKK wrote: »

Once he signs a new contract just watch him down tools, I hope I'm wrong, would be a good time to cash in, his value has risen big time in the last 2 months.

Once he signs a new contract just watch him down tools, I hope I'm wrong, would be a good time to cash in, his value has risen big time in the last 2 months.

He has only one year left on his contract in the summer, even if he has a monstrous second half to the season there is no way we get more than £40 - £50m for him.

i don't think it is contract based, at least not at United. If he wanted a new contract at United he'd get it.

the reality is probably (imo)
    1. With the team having a chance of winning trophies, he is motivated to play rather than when battling to finish 4th or 6th.
    2. His performances over the last year (and more) will have put Real or Barca off etc and if he wants to move to them this summer he needs to prove he can still be the player that would have interested them previously. Putting himself in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He has only one year left on his contract in the summer, even if he has a monstrous second half to the season there is no way we get more than £40 - £50m for him.

Real paid 100m for Hazard in a similar situation but I guess he'd at least done something worth paying that for in his PL career. Pogba would also hold good value in a silly quasi swap deal that has become all the rage.

Liam O wrote: »
    Real paid 100m for Hazard in a similar situation but I guess he'd at least done something worth paying that for in his PL career. Pogba would also hold good value in a silly quasi swap deal that has become all the rage.

United will swap him for Hazzar in a peak Man UNited move.

A left sided player with questionable attitude and fitness, but has (had?) a big name. LETS GO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

i don't think it is contract based, at least not at United. If he wanted a new contract at United he'd get it.

the reality is probably (imo)
    1. With the team having a chance of winning trophies, he is motivated to play rather than when battling to finish 4th or 6th.
    2. His performances over the last year (and more) will have put Real or Barca off etc and if he wants to move to them this summer he needs to prove he can still be the player that would have interested them previously. Putting himself in the shop window.

I don't even think it's any of that. He just plays better in a functioning team. Has been the case his whole career. He ain't the guy to drag you to the top but he looks great when the team is functioning well.

Hazard consistently delivered for most of his Chelsea tenure.

PP has consistently not delivered anything of note for most of his United tenure.

Chalk and cheese tbh.

Plus Chelsea have a knack of getting exorbitant fees for players that I'm sure is 100% above board with no shenanigans attached whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PARlance wrote: »
    Maguire, AWB and Bruno aside, is he not already rotating with very good effect?

I think he's doing a very good job on that front myself and it's probably a big part of why we sit top of the league at this stage.

I've no real issue with Maguire and Bruno playing most games, they seem well able for it. I would like to see AWB get rotated a bit more but that would be more for tactical reasons and we haven't an attacking FB in the squad to do so imo.

Still think he needs give bit more game time to fringe players. Can see your point and gave a scan over his team selections past few months, but I don't think he has used DVB or Mata enough. We might need them more at some point. Cavani has helped the rotation though. Been big plus.

I would give Maguire and Bruno a rest again on Wednesday and maybe one or more. We have plenty in tank to beat bottom team. Games come quick and fast this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What concerns me is there's no depth behind AWB so the lad doesn't get a chance to rest. Why Dalot was bombed out devies belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

brinty wrote:
    What concerns me is there's no depth behind AWB so the lad doesn't get a chance to rest. Why Dalot was bombed out devies belief

Thought i read somewhere Brandon Williams was a better right back than left back. Is he considered backup for the right ?

Thought i read somewhere Brandon Williams was a better right back than left back. Is he considered backup for the right ?

He's been left back a good while but for filling in duties he's grand really I'd say. He was moved from right to left in the underage teams because another player was seen as the better prospect for the right back slot.

He's not really the level required but he's a club lad and he can fill in for both full back roles in a pinch. Given AWB hasn't had to miss many games it hasn't been an issue as of yet.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

With talk of Williams going out on loan we could really shoot ourselves in the foot on this. We're light at the back with no recognised back up to AWB so i'd be laoth to let Williams go out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

brinty wrote: »

What is the story with Dalot? Completely disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Mongo wrote: »
    What is the story with Dalot? Completely disappeared.

He is at AC Milan currently

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-transfer-news-dalot-19562430

brinty wrote: »
    With talk of Williams going out on loan we could really shoot ourselves in the foot on this. We're light at the back with no recognised back up to AWB so i'd be laoth to let Williams go out the door.

Depends on the future plans for him really, if we want him to develop at all he isn't going to do it sitting behind a player who plays the minutes AWB plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can't see Williams going anywhere unless we bring in an experienced right back as cover. It looks like we were in the market for one at the Telles price point.

• Advertisement

I wonder will we go for Max Aarons this window, heavily linked with a move to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I doubt it, I'd say Trippier would be more along the lines of what we are looking for but he'd exceed the budget.

bangkok wrote: »
    I wonder will we go for Max Aarons this window, heavily linked with a move to us

Where has he been heavily linked?

Where has he been heavily linked?

Been stories about him for the past year or more that we are looking at him.. 1/5 to join us as well

West Ham also want Lingard on loan until the end of season. Id say that will go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Been stories about him for the past year or more that we are looking at him.. 1/5 to join us as well

West Ham also want Lingard on loan until the end of season. Id say that will go through

West Ham need to sort out a deal with either Dawson or Benrahma. Can only have two loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Juve's Chiesa and Bentancur (at RW & DM) would significantly improve our squad.

That's the kind of part-swap deal we need to aim for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Juve's Chiesa and Bentancur (at RW & DM) would significantly improve our squad.

That's the kind of part-swap deal we need to aim for imo.

They’ve just signed Chiesa?? No chance.
    Bentacur is their best midfielder. Too many lads playing football manager here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

If barca offered Frenkie de jong for Pogba would it be a good deal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Anyone mentioned that the Glazers big outlay signing Tom Brady for the Bucs has got them back to their 1st Superbowl since 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

markc91 wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned that the Glazers big outlay signing Tom Brady for the Bucs has got them back to their 1st Superbowl since 2003?

Hopefully if they win the SB, they will have more money to spend on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Minime2.5 wrote: »

No. Hed be in the queue behind Bruno for that spot. Dont think hed be able to play any deeper for us.
    Underwhelming first season at Barca and from the handful I seen this year he has improved but still not standout.

good for Barca probably, the thing with Pogba is he is a genuinely nice lad, there is not one player past or present that has a bad word to say about him, he is great around the training ground and always puts himself forward for the team even going back to his time under jose where he played the first game of the season after just coming back from winning a world cup.

his agent while he may be good for all his clients, is just not good for football. would love to see the Pogba we have now until the end of the season, win the league, he signs a new contract, Riaola is all pally pally again with woodward and we sign Haaland. the thing about Pogba is when he is in the form he currently is, there is not another player in world football like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Credit where credit is due, Pogba has now played 6 games on the trot at a high level, is it because he smells success ? Hopefully he continues in this vein for the rest of his career with United however long that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This gave me a good chuckle this morning: -

https://twitter.com/442oons/status/1353775896067334145

with lampard sacked Chelsea will probably pass on Declan rice. Would ye guys like us to sign him for defensive midfield or is Ndidi still the better option . Do either offer passing good enough? Perhaps Ruben Neves would be the better option?

No. Hed be in the queue behind Bruno for that spot. Dont think hed be able to play any deeper for us.
    Underwhelming first season at Barca and from the handful I seen this year he has improved but still not standout.

I always thought de jong was a deep lying defensive midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

with lampard sacked Chelsea will probably pass on Declan rice. Would ye guys like us to sign him for defensive midfield or is Ndidi still the better option . Do either offer passing good enough? Perhaps Ruben Neves would be the better option?

Rice would be the ideal signing but price might be a blocker. If the club are looking at a cheaper option for DM I'd like to see them go for Teun Koopmeiners or Manuel Locatelli.

markc91 wrote: »

There's a salary cap in the nfl the outlay for brady is likely not a whole heap more than what they where paying for the franchise anyway . Plus all american franchises (maby not baseball) have a salary cap that is a percentage of league revenue so there still taking money out of the franchise regardless just like they are here.

So I wouldn't take brady as a sign they may spend more because there not spending more for him they are just lucky he chose them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement

Good news re: Rashford. Also good to hear Bailly is fit for tomorrow night.

DeGea will obviously come back in and I think we'll probably see 4 or 5 more changes. Maybe Bailly for Lindelof, Telles for Shaw, Fred for McTominay, Bruno for VDB, Martial for Rashford (if not fit).

Try to get the game wrapped up early if possible and make changes where needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement