Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wonder if Diallo will make the bench tomorrow. 9 man bench makes it easier - and could be a decent home game to give him a debut in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I always thought de jong was a deep lying defensive midfielder

Dont know about his Ajax time but with Barcelona he definitely hasn't been and wouldn't suit us in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

wonder if Diallo will make the bench tomorrow. 9 man bench makes it easier - and could be a decent home game to give him a debut in.

I'd say Cavani could start on the bench. Fit and all as he is it's a lot to be asking off someone that's had injury issues the last few years and is into his 30s. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say Cavani could start on the bench. Fit and all as he is it's a lot to be asking off someone that's had injury issues the last few years and is into his 30s. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah if Martial can't produce against the worst team in the league it would be another nail in the coffin for him. He should be fresh enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Playing Sheff Utd who will be without John Egan, their best defender. Sander Berge will more than likely miss the game too.

I’d rest Cavani, Pogba and Shaw for Arsenal. Martial, although he doesn’t deserve it, will get another chance to get back on track. He’s one that I think should, even if things aren’t going his way, fucccing run and try to make things happen instead of looking moody and lethargic.

De Gea,
    AWB, Bailly, Maguire, Telles
    Matic Fred Bruno
    Greenwood, Martial + Rash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Playing Sheff Utd who will be without John Egan, their best defender. Sander Berge will more than likely miss the game too.

I’d rest Cavani, Pogba and Shaw for Arsenal. Martial, although he doesn’t deserve it, will get another chance to get back on track. He’s one that I think should, even if things aren’t going his way, fucccing run and try to make things happen instead of looking moody and lethargic.

De Gea,
    AWB, Bailly, Maguire, Telles
    Matic Fred Bruno
    Greenwood, Martial + Rash.

I doubt Rashford will start even if it is just bruising, even just as a precautionary measure - leaves a hole though.

Mata could come in and maybe play out on that left side but not sure how effective he'll be there.

Greenwood and Martial most likely start.

I'd like to see Diallo play at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ole has spoken about Cavani being a signing for the long term as well, in terms of his influence upon Rashford, Greenwood and Martial.

Makes it more puzzling why he wasn't signed earlier in the window if that was really a part of their thinking in signing him.

Anyway let's hope he's beginning to have an influence on Martial and he'll show some hunger and passion tomorrow night.

I know some posters in here like him and I do too, he's a nice footballer with a good touch and can look class at times, but my God how anyone can say he hasn't been frustrating is beyond me.

When he strolls around not looking interested, he just hasn't produced enough to have that level of arrogance, and you can argue no player has ever produced enough not to work hard!

Even though I like him and he's undoubtedly talented, I wouldn't be adverse to moving on from him at this stage. He could still command a reasonable fee (he's in a lot of money though).

I'm sure people will be watching him bang in the goals for another team and lamenting his loss, but unless he finishes out this season strongly and at least shows that he wants to fight for United and his future, it's time to cut him loose.

Ole has spoken about Cavani being a signing for the long term as well, in terms of his influence upon Rashford, Greenwood and Martial.

Makes it more puzzling why he wasn't signed earlier in the window if that was really a part of their thinking in signing him.

Anyway let's hope he's beginning to have an influence on Martial and he'll show some hunger and passion tomorrow night.

I know some posters in here like him and I do too, he's a nice footballer with a good touch and can look class at times, but my God how anyone can say he hasn't been frustrating is beyond me.

When he strolls around not looking interested, he just hasn't produced enough to have that level of arrogance, and you can argue no player has ever produced enough not to work hard!

Even though I like him and he's undoubtedly talented, I wouldn't be adverse to moving on from him at this stage. He could still command a reasonable fee (he's in a lot of money though).

I'm sure people will be watching him bang in the goals for another team and lamenting his loss, but unless he finishes out this season strongly and at least shows that he wants to fight for United and his future, it's time to cut him loose.

He's had Zlatan, now Cavani. I'm getting the impression though that Martial could receive daily tutorials from prime Pele and he'd still be shíte to woefully inconsistent for us.

5.5 years he's with us now. 3 years since Jose and Sanchez apparently hampered his development. It's time to face facts that Anthony Martial has lived up to nowhere near his early potential for us and now at 25 years old, 'potential' and 'development' are more or less moot points.

I used to be a fan, but I've been ready to cut Martial loose for a while now. He was good overall last season but really needed to equal that or improve on it this season. That hasn't happened and even if he improves in the second half of the season, it's going to take a lot to convince me that we shouldn't upgrade on him/the position this Summer.

He clearly has a lot of talent, but that doesn't translate to end product on the field for us nearly often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

At this point in time Martial has dropped down the pecking order when it comes to United's front 3. I'm curious to see how he responds before cutting him loose altogether. If he is incapable of raising his game then I'd like to think both Ole and the club will be looking at options.

I'd be interested to see Martial off the left tomorrow with Cavani central. He doesn't have the drive (or passing) of Rashford, but off the left is a comfortable position for him and allows him to face the goal more and carry the ball, without leaving us short in the centre.

I do consider that Cavani should not be first choice, and Martial should play central when and if we need to rest Cavani or Rashford to have them fit and sharp for an important league game.

• Advertisement

Will be really interested to see how United do tomorrow night. Beyond the obvious desire to see United win and get 3 points to get us back in first place (assuming City win tonight) - I am curious to see how they react to beating Liverpool.

The PL draw against them last week was a good result, really, but felt like a missed opportunity. following that up with 3 points against Fulham in somewhat convincing fashion (nervy last 5 mins) was needed. But I felt United took a different approach to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Now, part of that could be down to it being an FA Cup game - there had to be a winner so we couldn't consider a draw an acceptable result. You could also say United may not have been more bothered by losing to Liverpool than going out of the Cup, in terms of the FA Cup being low priority so being knocked out isn't the end of the world, just an annoyance it was to liverpool. So you can poke at it. But I wonder if United learned from the previous draw that we could and perhaps should have beaten Liverpool. That we could play against them. We played far more on the front foot and we took the game to them.

Could the draw, and then the win, be a bit of a turning point for this team - to give them that extra bit of belief and confidence going into the rest of the season?

As I say, I will be interested to see how tomorrow night plays out. If I think back to the PSG game that saw Ole appointed, I had an immediate concern that night over the celebrations from United - celebrating as if they had won the CL. If felt like there was a massive emotional release that night and I worried the players would struggle on the come down from that. they did, and to a far worse degree than i had feared they would. When we beat Liverpool, albeit only in the FA Cup, and no fans there to lap it up, it seemed to be treated as a normal result. a good result, but an expected one. And that is the attitude I want from United - no basking in 'upset' victories; getting the win and moving on.

We need the 3 points tomorrow, as we need every 3 points, but I am really interested and hoping to see a United side that are now going to approach matches with professional confidence and concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Arsenal game on Saturday will tell us a lot in my opinion.

They have put one on us last few seasons and including the weekend after we beat PSG few seasons back. It all went downhill after that.

We haven't played well there for good few years and considering they been no shining light themselves a good performance and 3 points would be a huge signal of intent.

Worry about tomorrow night first, but if we are in good position after 45-60 minutes I be taking off lads to be ready for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The Arsenal game on Saturday will tell us a lot in my opinion.

They have put one on us last few seasons and including the weekend after we beat PSG few seasons back. It all went downhill after that.

We haven't played well there for good few years and considering they been no shining light themselves a good performance and 3 points would be a huge signal of intent.

Worry about tomorrow night first, but if we are in good position after 45-60 minutes I be taking off lads to be ready for Saturday.

even if we draw or lose, im still very happy with how the team is going, we have past lots of test that have been thrown at us and we are going to have to lose our unbeaten streak at some stage

bangkok wrote: »
    even if we draw or lose, im still very happy with how the team is going, we have past lots of test that have been thrown at us and we are going to have to lose our unbeaten streak at some stage

we have also failed a lot of tests, and failed them when it was important.

Failed the test at home to PSG.
    Failed the test away to RB.
    Failed the test vs City in the league cup semi.

Arguably failed, to a lower degree, Liverpool in the league in terms of not taking a game that was there to be taken.

The away record will have to go eventually - but the Arsenal game could be seen as a sort of statement match of where this team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Arsenal match is a worry for me too. Isn't Partey back fit again too? he absolutely dominated the midfield against us at OT. Should have signed him in the summer tbh.

For the last few years, Arsenal seem to have outfought us too, which is the most worrying aspect. Maybe it's the hope that'll kill me but it feels like this team is finally turning a corner and Ole should get his first win over Arteta at the weekend. Looking forward to a tactical foul fest everytime we break.

Arsenal match is a worry for me too. Isn't Partey back fit again too? he absolutely dominated the midfield against us at OT. Should have signed him in the summer tbh.

For the last few years, Arsenal seem to have outfought us too, which is the most worrying aspect. Maybe it's the hope that'll kill me but it feels like this team is finally turning a corner and Ole should get his first win over Arteta at the weekend. Looking forward to a tactical foul fest everytime we break.

so he could keep Phil Jones entertained in the physio room? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I'm struggling to think of an away fixture where we've been worse over the past 3/4 seasons, than Arsenal away. Which is a bit odd when you know they've been on the slide for quite a few years now.

It seems we are that team they can raise their game for and get the win.
    That needs to change if we're serious with our title charge.

Surely Cavani will be rested against Sheff Utd? I don't see him starting 3 games in 7 days.
    Would much prefer to have him sharp and raring to go against Arsenal.

Martial needs goals badly, he's playing poorly and low on confidence at the minute. I'd start him against Sheffield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

so he could keep Phil Jones entertained in the physio room? :pac:

He had an insane injury free record at Atletico in fairness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Will be really interested to see how United do tomorrow night. Beyond the obvious desire to see United win and get 3 points to get us back in first place (assuming City win tonight) - I am curious to see how they react to beating Liverpool.

The PL draw against them last week was a good result, really, but felt like a missed opportunity. following that up with 3 points against Fulham in somewhat convincing fashion (nervy last 5 mins) was needed. But I felt United took a different approach to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Now, part of that could be down to it being an FA Cup game - there had to be a winner so we couldn't consider a draw an acceptable result. You could also say United may not have been more bothered by losing to Liverpool than going out of the Cup, in terms of the FA Cup being low priority so being knocked out isn't the end of the world, just an annoyance it was to liverpool. So you can poke at it. But I wonder if United learned from the previous draw that we could and perhaps should have beaten Liverpool. That we could play against them. We played far more on the front foot and we took the game to them.

Could the draw, and then the win, be a bit of a turning point for this team - to give them that extra bit of belief and confidence going into the rest of the season?

Completely agree, think that was the most front foot we've been against a 'big' team in a long time.

I keep banging on about it but confidence is probably the biggest intangible when it comes to top level sports. Now that confidence is flowing the performances are picking up all the time.

It's so hard to play when you're timid on the ball and worried about losing it. It's night and day at the moment to midway through last season.

Also noticed the almost nonchalant reaction after the game, as you said was great to see them not jumping all over each other like they'd won something. A lot of very good signs at the moment imo

A comfortable 3 or 4-0 tomorrow night to keep building that momentum and confidence. Agree that Arsenal is more of a reflection of where we are now and if we go there on the front foot it'll be great to see.

And has been said we owe them a beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

https://twitter.com/StretfordPaddck/status/1354100565991677954?s=20

Can we somehow clone this man? He is absolutely everything and more we need in the club.

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »

Can we somehow clone this man? He is absolutely everything and more we need in the club.

As a manager, Fergie would have loved his attitude and mindset.

Thats probably about the biggest compliment any United fan can give him!

Ole says united looking to loan out pellistri this month, few clubs want him

Ole says united looking to loan out pellistri this month, few clubs want him

He also said Diallo won't be loaned and is close to making the squad.
    That will be interesting.

Any addition to our "graveyard" spot at RW can only help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

We should be resting a good few with this news

https://twitter.com/dannyhall04/status/1354056366520983552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wouldn't be taking any prisoners myself, our goal difference could do with a boost

Moyes doing a savage job with west ham. Up to 4th now, pushing liverpool closer to the relegation zone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

PARlance wrote: »
    Wouldn't be taking any prisoners myself, our goal difference could do with a boost

Absolutely, need to follow up the weekends result with a very positive one tomorrow night. Take no chances, rest players if the game is won early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/ighalojude/status/1354143762591711233?s=20

Didn't work out as planned but he still played a part last season, enjoyed that goal v LASK. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ElChe32 wrote: »

Its just a shame we have no fans in the ground, imagine the boost he'd get with 70k reds behind him.

Best signing since Cantona IMO, sure we MAY have had better but we had a team then that only needed tweaking, the team that Bruno came into was fcuked and he has more or less single handedly dragged us up to where we belong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

City with a lucky second goal, on their way to the top of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Kicking off between Zlatan and Lukaku in the Milan derby right now. Zlatan has mastered the art of being a wind up merchant. Love him.

[url]

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got himself booked for the pleasure. Be a wind up merchant all you want, don't be a cock. Since sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was indeed colourful between the former United players.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1354170801868730376?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

That kinda stuff obviously gets said the whole time, but since it was picked up so clearly, it will probably be sanctioned?

Dave0301 wrote: »
    That kinda stuff obviously gets said the whole time, but since it was picked up so clearly, it will probably be sanctioned?

In Italy?? No chance

• Advertisement

Still can't quite wrap my head around a Milan derby with 6 ex United players involved and 9 players who have PL experience on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Big confidence booster for Arsenal ahead of the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have failed as many times as passed with the ones that mattered.

It's time to make a statement this weekend. Ole Holidays are well over now

We have failed as many times as passed with the ones that mattered.

It's time to make a statement this weekend. Ole Holidays are well over now

Yep holidays are over, top of the league again if we win tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Big confidence booster for Arsenal ahead of the weekend.

Swines would have to hit form now wouldn't they?

We owe them big time, I hope we humiliate them, but I'd say it'll be a tight enough affair.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

• We should be playing the strongest team possible tomorrow and aim to smash Sheffield early and put the game to bed.

They are severely depleted too.

Get those points on the board asap and then sub players where needed.

nullzero wrote: »
    Swines would have to hit form now wouldn't they?

We owe them big time, I hope we humiliate them, but I'd say it'll be a tight enough affair.

Can see this fixture being very tricky. They’re on a decent run last few weeks. And a win away to this Southampton team is a big 3 points.

I think this game will ultimately tell us more than the Anfield game did. Not beating Liverpool isn’t make or break.
    Failing to beat a side who’ve been mid table or worse most of the season, will definitely be a setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Can see this fixture being very tricky. They’re on a decent run last few weeks. And a win away to this Southampton team is a big 3 points.

I think this game will ultimately tell us more than the Anfield game did. Not beating Liverpool isn’t make or break.
    Failing to beat a side who’ve been mid table or worse most of the season, will definitely be a setback.
    arsenal seem to be a bogey team for us of late, wouldn't be too surprised to see us beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Also gives some insight into the dangers of a manager having little to no control over recruitment. A director of football is all well and good but as soon as results dip and relations deteriorate then it's very easy to part ways with the manager.

Clearly Chelsea have no problem with that whatsoever! Even though it's cost them a fortune in payoffs over the years

MattS1 wrote: »
    Hopefully if they win the SB, they will have more money to spend on us. suck less of United's own money out into their pockets

fyp

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Still can't quite wrap my head around a Milan derby with 6 ex United players involved and 9 players who have PL experience on show.

How did the 1 current one play?

PARlance wrote: »
    How did the 1 current one play?
    I only saw the last 20 minutes and Milan were down to ten men. Dalot did fine defensively but barely passed the half way line. He was mainly up against Kolarov for 10 minutes and Young for 10 minutes so it's not like he was being tested by Europe's elite.

In my eyes he's a goner, this loan feels like a shop window more than a means to get valuable first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

RobertKK wrote: »

That’s what you want to see in a derby.... rather then an unnamed Manchester United captain affectionately hugging the opposition (Harry Maguire)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    arsenal seem to be a bogey team for us of late, wouldn't be too surprised to see us beaten

Given how they've been performing I'd be very surprised if we lose that game.

The fact is we're a far better team in the best form we've been in in years. 3 points are there for the taking and I think defeat to that Arsenal side is unacceptable at the moment.

Hope we hammer Sheffield Utd and Chris Wilder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Take each gme as it comes starting tonight, SU aren't terrible, beat them 3-2 away and our away form is much better than our home form. They've only conceded 7 more than us, I don't expect this to be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

RobertKK wrote: »

That’s what you want to see in a derby.... rather then an unnamed Manchester United captain affectionately hugging the opposition (Harry Maguire)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement