Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

151 Versy 1000 or Tracer 900

• 24-01-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Hiya.

Looking for opinions.

Has to be practical , easy of fuel, fast, reliable and comfortable. And start every winters morning .

20 miles on motorway followed by the length of dublin. So chopping through traffic is as important as motorway wind deflection.

I rekon one of these two fits the budget. I have not ridden either yet.

What do yas think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hiya.

Looking for opinions.

Has to be practical , easy of fuel, fast, reliable and comfortable. And start every winters morning .

20 miles on motorway followed by the length of dublin. So chopping through traffic is as important as motorway wind deflection.

I rekon one of these two fits the budget. I have not ridden either yet.

What do yas think?

I can't comment on the versys or how they compare but your requirements are similar to mine and this is why I bought the tracer. I would have changed bike fairly regularly in the past but I don't have any intention of changing now. I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

If it you havent got your heart 100% set on an upright adventure style bike, I would go for a pre vtec vfr800. I ran one for 5 years and for a while I was car less it was my only transport. Probably would give the above 2 bikes a run for their money in the performance stakes Comfortwise, for me, its as good as it gets. Slap on an mra screen and all day 90mph motorway cruising is a cinch. On the above 2 bikes I would take a guess that handlebars are the height of your average cars mirrors whereas the viffer is that bit narrower.
    Reg/rec failures are common but easily sorted (mine was fine) and its a Honda so will start every morning.
    Ive ridden a mates Tracer and while its nice, i found the build quality to be a bit meh. you would need to keep on top of the cleaning/lubing religiously and the throttle is like an on/off switch at lower speeds which would be a pain for a commute. For me its the ultimate all rounder I commuted everyday did a lap of Scotland on it and the usual Sunday spin.
    3k gets you a good one and spend the rest of your budget on new tyres, suspension and luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CJ Haughey asked about the Tracer last week. Few replies including from Zubair who has one - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116000545

I looked at a V1000 before settling on Tiger 800. Saw 2 in Bike World and wasnt overly impressed with the paint or general quality of them. That said, have a mate who loves his. Comfort and plenty of poke.

raven41 wrote: »
    If it you havent got your heart 100% set on an upright adventure style bike, I would go for a pre vtec vfr800. I ran one for 5 years and for a while I was car less it was my only transport. Probably would give the above 2 bikes a run for their money in the performance stakes Comfortwise, for me, its as good as it gets. Slap on an mra screen and all day 90mph motorway cruising is a cinch. On the above 2 bikes I would take a guess that handlebars are the height of your average cars mirrors whereas the viffer is that bit narrower.

I had the vtec vfr800 and commuted on it, I eventually had to get rid of it. Great bike but more sport than touring and less suited to commuting compared to these 2 imo. Too heavy to be ideal around town and the clip ons are pain in the azz as well as the wrists. A CBF1000 would be a better option if we're suggesting other bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    I had the vtec vfr800 and commuted on it, I eventually had to get rid of it. Great bike but more sport than touring and less suited to commuting compared to these 2 imo. Too heavy to be ideal around town and the clip ons are pain in the azz as well as the wrists. A CBF1000 would be a better option if we're suggesting other bikes.

How about a Crossrunner then ? It's an upright VFR800 really.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »

They're pretty good. I test road one while I owned the VFR and liked it. It's a more comfortable riding position and bike in general but still felt like it was a bit of a lump, however, I was consciously considering the weight when I tested it as this was something I was trying to get away from at the time. I don't know how heavy the V is or feels by comparison; I thought someone on here tested one and liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

galwaytt wrote: »

Crossrunner is currently out of my budget unfortunatly. I wish it was.. Im fairly sold on an upright, so the sports touring bikes like the older VFR dont interest me.

I have about 7k to work with.

I believe I can get a 151 version of the two Jap bikes in or around that price point.

Insurance is around 500 on both with no garage, which is a bit of a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What no DL650 or DL1000. What sort of bullet proof quick and easy on juice thread is this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tracer 700 might be an option? I'm actually leaning towards a Tenéré 700 at this stage, no electronics apart from switchable ABS, and I've always liked big trailies.
    Enough HP for me and a pile of torque,
    A fair bit cheaper than the CP3 engine as well.
    Nice lump the CP2 by all accounts.
    You could come up another couple of years as well nearly.#
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2018-yamaha-mt07-tracer/26550221

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Tracer 700 might be an option? I'm actually leaning towards a Tenéré 700 at this stage, no electronics apart from switchable ABS, and I've always liked big trailies.
    Enough HP for me and a pile of torque,
    A fair bit cheaper than the CP3 engine as well.
    Nice lump the CP2 by all accounts.
    You could come up another couple of years as well nearly.#
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2018-yamaha-mt07-tracer/26550221

Some nice ones out there all right. 70 bhp though. I think I would be wanting after a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Test rode one twice last year for a full day, the Versys 100%.

Very good bike especially the newer ones. Nearly bit the bullet on a 2019 new after a test ride, Not that the Yammy is a bad bike but the Versys is better IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

I have been using a tracer 900 (2016) as my daily commuter for the last 5 months. Compared to the 'Strom, Varadero and Versys in 1L, the Tracer is a hard to decribe act. It's much lighter and you feel it straight away. More power compared to the V-strom and the Varadero (I haven't tried the Versys 1000 yet) and it feels like it has just as much torque. It's lighter on the fuel but heavier on the insurance. Maintenance is a pain, lots of bits are corroding fast when the bike is out every day- the type of use I understand you'd also put it to. It's prone to wobbles not just at very high speeds, depending on several factors that can be addressed.

However, since you are going to travel in the city I'd say it's a better fit than the bigger and heavier bikes. Filtering takes zero effort. The throttle takes a bit of getting used to for the slow travel but it's not really rocket science. I've done 9000 km and no issues, I might change my opinion after the 40k service that is fast approaching- many owners say that valves really need a bit of adjustment.

MaryKon wrote: »
    I have been using a tracer 900 (2016) as my daily commuter for the last 5 months. Compared to the 'Strom, Varadero and Versys in 1L, the Tracer is a hard to decribe act. It's much lighter and you feel it straight away. More power compared to the V-strom and the Varadero (I haven't tried the Versys 1000 yet) and it feels like it has just as much torque. It's lighter on the fuel but heavier on the insurance. Maintenance is a pain, lots of bits are corroding fast when the bike is out every day- the type of use I understand you'd also put it to. It's prone to wobbles not just at very high speeds, depending on several factors that can be addressed.

However, since you are going to travel in the city I'd say it's a better fit than the bigger and heavier bikes. Filtering takes zero effort. The throttle takes a bit of getting used to for the slow travel but it's not really rocket science. I've done 9000 km and no issues, I might change my opinion after the 40k service that is fast approaching- many owners say that valves really need a bit of adjustment.

I don't think we can avoid corrosion . My old GS is suffering badly from the salt. Had a seized caliper last week.

Maybe acf50 will be useful. I'm leaning towards the tracer. Looks fun which I'm.badly in need of after riding a GS for a few years.

Advertisement