Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zgemma H7s out of the box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

But are images not loaded free of charge from WOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Thanks for sharing your experience
    It's unfortunate you went above the 150 euro limit so got caught for duty and also that the courier charges a hefty admin fee

For anyone else ordering maybe check prices on Amazon on the mainland around 160 euros currently

You happy with the box otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

greasepalm wrote: »
    But are images not loaded free of charge from WOS?

£1 charge for loading image.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    It's unfortunate you went above the 150 euro limit so got caught for duty and also that the courier charges a hefty admin fee

For anyone else ordering maybe check prices on Amazon on the mainland around 160 euros currently

You happy with the box otherwise?

Absolutely. Very happy with the box. No fault with WOS. Good value for money with them.
    FedEx have taken some liberties by absorbing some of the customers value.

All in, my Sky tv sub was €53 euro per month. The box will have paid for itself in approx 4 months. The wife and kids are well able to use it.
    ITV is now near the top of the channel list for them to watch programmes like the masked singer, the voice, catchphrase, etc. I got to watch the rugby in hd on Saturday without messing about with 'other' channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Ah that makes a difference and explains the wide margin. Can you not query that charge with FED EX and WOS. €18.19 to process 44 euro is a bit off.

And they are saying estimates!!

This now as you said have a bearing on outside costs and maybe looking further afield to a euro zone stockist if one cant source it locally.

If i got WOS to send me over a free 4 sat tuner box would i still get charged?

What about a faulty box covered under warranty as i have to pay shipping costs and what about clarification on taxes coming back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've started checking prices on amazon.de for comparison. Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

It seems to be the age old story. Some genius comes up with ideas like Brexit and the small man always pays the price.
    /rant

I've started checking prices on amazon.de for comparison. Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

It seems to be the age old story. Some genius comes up with ideas like Brexit and the small man always pays the price.
    /rant

Gerry they want you to BITE big and hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Amazon UK is a bloody mess. Even when i'm logged in, some say straight off they wont ship here anymore but with others you get all the way to the checkout and THEN it says can't ship to Ireland. So why the hell did they show me the items?

I'm seeing £131.07 (approx €149) for Zgemma H7s at amazon.co.uk, delivered to Ireland with Prime. See attachment.

However, Satworld has it for €138.91 with free delivery in 1 - 3 days. Next day delivery available for €8.41.

Edit: Just noticed that the picture on Satworld shows an RF out loop connection on the rear of the box, but there isn't one on the Amazon image. Does it have one or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

But as stated above, WOS loads an image, fits a HDD and a USB for the all in price. Its the FEDEX handling charge of €18.00 that's a bit of a rip off and a cheek.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    But as stated above, WOS loads an image, fits a HDD and a USB for the all in price. Its the FEDEX handling charge of €18.00 that's a bit of a rip off and a cheek.

Yeah, I think you would be hard pressed to find better value than what WOS provide.
    It really is FedEx taking the urine.

Think normally it was DHL who originally delivered all mine

It was £40 to have a 500gb had supplied and fitted (€45)
    £4.95 for the usb stick (€5.55).

These obviously impacted the tax and import costs.
    Could one do better by buying these separately in Ireland? Approx €61 when vat is added.

Add that to the €139 price on offer by Satworld and we come in at €200 but would have to fit hdd ourselves.

Gadgie wrote: »
    I'm seeing £131.07 (approx €149) for Zgemma H7s at amazon.co.uk, delivered to Ireland with Prime. See attachment.

However, Satworld has it for €138.91 with free delivery in 1 - 3 days. Next day delivery available for €8.41.

Edit: Just noticed that the picture on Satworld shows an RF out loop connection on the rear of the box, but there isn't one on the Amazon image. Does it have one or not?

Just looked at my H7S 4k only 1 input for Saorview and no RF out

In my case, I already have spare HDD and USB sticks that I can use.

I just checked WOS and without these options it's £105.57 (approx. €120) delivered to Ireland via FedEx. 21% VAT is approx €25, plus FedEx handling fee of €18. Total of approx. €163.

I've just ordered from Satworld with free delivery. I should have it by the end of the week.

What's the benefit of a USB stick if you have an HDD installed?

In my case, I already have spare HDD and USB sticks that I can use.

I just checked WOS and without these options it's £105.57 (approx. €120) delivered to Ireland via FedEx. 21% VAT is approx €25, plus FedEx handling fee of €18. Total of approx. €163.

I've just ordered from Satworld with free delivery. I should have it by the end of the week.

What's the benefit of a USB stick if you have an HDD installed?

I threw in the usb stick on a whim as I am always losing them and is handy if I want to flash an image.

I remember setting up epg for usb as it was handier to format it and setup again when issues arose.
    Do people say have picons on usb as i dont bother with them.

Just looked at my H7S 4k only 1 input for Saorview and no RF out

Thanks. Maybe the Satworld pic is for a different box. It would be a nice surprise if it did have one!
    mr_cochise wrote: »
    I threw in the usb stick on a whim as I am always losing them and is handy if I want to flash an image.

I see. I wasn't sure if there was some benefit for timeshift recording.
    I remember setting up epg for usb as it was handier to format it and setup again when issues arose.
    Do people say have picons on usb as i dont bother with them.

Edit: Removed reply. I misunderstood what you were asking.

the idea of the USB was for picons so as not to spin up the HDD all the time. These days you can get a smallish SSD cheap enough.(~€26 for 120Gb) They are also silent for use in a bedroom.

• Advertisement

the idea of the USB was for picons so as not to spin up the HDD all the time. These days you can get a smallish SSD cheap enough.(~€26 for 120Gb) They are also silent for use in a bedroom.

Good idea. I have a spare SSD from an old laptop that I will be using.

I find 120Gb more than ample for any box. For long term storage I use a NAS. In most cases if you haven't watched something you recorded after about 3 days, chances are you never will.

I find 120Gb more than ample for any box. For long term storage I use a NAS. In most cases if you haven't watched something you recorded after about 3 days, chances are you never will.

I have a Freesat Humax box (1 TB) with unwatched recordings from about ten years ago! :D

I have a Freesat Humax box (1 TB) with unwatched recordings from about ten years ago! :D

Coming soon the Gadgie Gold Channel :D:D:D

Coming soon the Gadgie Gold Channel :D:D:D

Haha! Mostly films I haven't got around to watching yet.

It's strange though, watching things in same quality as when broadcast live, but with old adverts, channel intros/logos or channel doesn't exist anymore (BBC HD).

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Poor Gerry never used anything under 1TB as some externals are 2 tb and adding in a 4Tb nas.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Poor Gerry never used anything under 1TB as some externals are 2 tb and adding in a 4Tb nas.

I have about 6Tb of movies, concerts and docs collected over the years. TBH gawd knows when if ever I'll watch them again. :rolleyes:
      I think it's known as the Magpie syndrome

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I was thinking of buying one of these from satworld to avoid customs charges. I am a complete novice so two quick questions. Is it easy to put an image on yourself ? I have a week off next week so will have plenty of time to devote to it. Also if I get it without the harddrive can I use one of the spares I have lying around. I have normal ones and powered hard drives.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hopefully user can open up a support ticket to see whats going on as its all new and a ruddy pain.

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Wolfyboy555 I have ordered one from satworld and so will post a brief concise guide using openvix image. It takes a 2.5in interal hdd. A lot of users opt for an ssd now so if you want to use old hdd you need a usb stick. I'll start with old hdd and usb stick. This box is multiboot so takes 4 images.

I have seen a lot of posts about this box so just interested in setting it from scratch, ie keep it simple.

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I bought one last night from WOS as I wanted it to come with OpenVix so cost was £106 incl shipping will install a spare ssd from around the house, my order says shipped by DPD so interested to see what happens charges wise, best bit is I have neither a sat or Saorview connection but wanted something to play with and will sort the connections post lockdown. Wonder what would happen if you ignore FedEx?

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I wonder why Fedex was used or have things changed due to brexit.

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder why Fedex was used or have things changed due to brexit.

Was FedEx the choice for rapid delivery maybe?

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

dulpit wrote: »
      Was FedEx the choice for rapid delivery maybe?

DPD UK stopped delivering to the EU temporarily at end of December.

12. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

DPD UK stopped delivering to the EU temporarily at end of December.

My order is coming via DPD got a notice of duties owed this morning, at least their brokerage fee is €5 + VAT, but you don’t get to see the charge until you have agreed for DPD to be your agent, unlike FedEx you are notified in advance of the import cost.

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thats a lot differnt form cochise's, 63.00 v 27.00 and more reasonable. Did you just buy the basic box so initial cost was lower, ie no hdd, no usb?

How did you opt for dpd I got fedex when i put in Ireland?

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

My order is coming via DPD got a notice of duties owed this morning, at least their brokerage fee is €5 + VAT, but you don’t get to see the charge until you have agreed for DPD to be your agent, unlike FedEx you are notified in advance of the import cost.

Good to know. Says here that DPD expected to resume deliveries to Ireland on 13 January. I notice that the WOS website still says that shipping will be via FedEx.

My box ordered via Satworld yesterday lunchtime is expected to be delivered this morning via DPD. I didn't pay for the priority delivery either. Great service.

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Thats a lot differnt form cochise's, 63.00 v 27.00 and more reasonable. Did you just buy the basic box so initial cost was lower, ie no hdd, no usb?

How did you opt for dpd I got fedex when i put in Ireland?

Just the basic box with openvix preloaded, I have spare ssd drives so will just use one of them, I just chose std delivery don’t remember getting an option re carrier, my total incl delivery was £106

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Just the basic box with openvix preloaded, I have spare ssd drives so will just use one of them, I just chose std delivery don’t remember getting an option re carrier, my total incl delivery was £106

For the benefit of people thinking of ordering one, that's approx €121 at today's exchange rate. Plus import and brokerage fees of €28, total cost is approx. €149.

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Yeah just checked on WOS and they have reduced the price by £18.00 its now 91 as opposed to 109 but it still shows 109 in the mainframe. It still shows fedex as carrier.

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Yeah just checked on WOS and they have reduced the price by £18.00 its now 91 as opposed to 109 but it still shows 109 in the mainframe. It still shows fedex as carrier.

Must be a new box on the way.

They are removing the UK VAT for export hence the reduced price, but it’s more than made up at this end with import fees, just checked again the delivery option I got was fedex on the checkout but parcel shipped DPD

19. Advertisement
    20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

This box sounds interesting. I'm using an LG TV with built-in Terrestrial and Freesat but the restrictions on channel tuning like Yesterday+1, C4HD, and channel ordering are really annoying.

So - can this box and similar units display a full week's worth of EPG rather than just "now and next"? And can I set my recordings using simple point and click rather than trying to decypher start and end times?
      I'm picking up hints that it can from comments in this thread, and even show Sky's EPG(?), though Freesat's EPG mixed with Saorview would be good solution. Thanks.

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

dowtchaboy wrote: »
      This box sounds interesting. I'm using an LG TV with built-in Terrestrial and Freesat but the restrictions on channel tuning like Yesterday+1, C4HD, and channel ordering are really annoying.

So - can this box and similar units display a full week's worth of EPG rather than just "now and next"? And can I set my recordings using simple point and click rather than trying to decypher start and end times?
      I'm picking up hints that it can from comments in this thread, and even show Sky's EPG(?), though Freesat's EPG mixed with Saorview would be good solution. Thanks.

You can build your own channel list(s) mixing Saorview and FTA satellite in any order you like. It will have a full 7day EPG for both. Setting a timer is as easy as highlighting it in the EPG, press a coloured button on remote, Then OK to confirm. Pressing a different coloured button will open a dialogue to setup series linking for that show. In most cases the defaults will suit so again you just OK it.

22. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

You can build your own channel list(s) mixing Saorview and FTA satellite in any order you like. It will have a full 7day EPG for both. Setting a timer is as easy as highlighting it in the EPG, press a coloured button on remote, Then OK to confirm. Pressing a different coloured button will open a dialogue to setup series linking for that show. In most cases the defaults will suit so again you just OK it.

Excellent! Thank you for the response.

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

This will give you an idea. Autotimer is for series linking
      542888.jpg

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

My Zgemma looks to have come in with slightly different pricing to others.

With image loaded and Fedex est fees it came in at GBP 106 / EUR 124. Then was charged EUR 28 by DPD for import/fees. So EUR 152 total.

For the HD i bought this SSD from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-A400-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01N0TQPQB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ssd+480gb&qid=1613129746&sr=8-3

Bought a wifi dongle from Amazon too but no joy getting it working so far. Wish I had just added a known compaitble one from WOS while ordering.

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Whats the make of wi fi, you need a driver.?

The other order had a HDD and a USB stick so price was higher. But that dpd figure still looks good. I got the zgemma from sat world for 147 delivered. There are no batteries in my box.

And can you hook box up with a lan cable to help the initial setting up?

26. Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

Linoge wrote: »
      My Zgemma looks to have come in with slightly different pricing to others.

With image loaded and Fedex est fees it came in at GBP 106 / EUR 124. Then was charged EUR 28 by DPD for import/fees. So EUR 152 total.

For the HD i bought this SSD from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-A400-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01N0TQPQB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ssd+480gb&qid=1613129746&sr=8-3

Bought a wifi dongle from Amazon too but no joy getting it working so far. Wish I had just added a known compaitble one from WOS while ordering.

I never had any luck getting my h7s to connect to wifi, and I used the adapter from WOS. In the end I used a powerline connector to set up a wired connection (as my broadband router is in a different room).

27. Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

This will give you an idea. Autotimer is for series linking
      542888.jpg

Can I ask how/where you can get this skin/picons ?

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The skin is called "simple ten eighty". Cant remember if it was already installed. If not it and the picons are in the plugins download section.

29. Advertisement
    30. Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

Cheers Gerry Wicklow found one called 'simple' and it work great.

Advertisement