Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LV Thread: Chiefs v Buccaneers (MOD Note Post #1)

• 25-01-2021 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

still-2020-04-15-13h45m36s748.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Kansas City Chiefs (16-2) v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (14-5)

When: Sunday 7th February 11.30pm (Irish Time)

Venue: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida.

Referee: Carl Cheffers (2nd time)

Broadcasters: CBS (Sky & BBC in Ireland)

Announcers: Jim Nantz and Tony Romo

Odds: Chiefs 6/10, Buccaneers 11/8 (Paddy Power)

Half Time Show: The Weeknd

The Bucs will become the first team in the NFL history to play in the Superbowl in their own stadium. 2001 was the last time Raymond James hosted the showpiece game with the Baltimore Ravens crushing the New York Giants. Tampa QB, Tom Brady will be extending his record by appearing in his 10th Superbowl. Due to COVID-19 protocols there will only be 22,000 spectators in attendance. The Kansas City Chiefs are aiming to become the first team to retain the Vince Lombardi Trophy since the 2004 New England Patriots while the Bucs are aiming to win a 2nd crown after clinching their first title after the 2002 season when Jon Gruden was at the helm. Chiefs coach Andy Reid will lead a side to the Superbowl for the 3rd time while for The Bucs, Bruce Arians will make his head coaching debut. Referee, Carl Cheffers is officiating the big game for the 2nd time in his career after taking charge of Superbowl LI.

MOD Note: Read the charter before posting in this thread. Please report any posts you see breaking the charter, enjoy the game and treat other posters with some respect.

Who wins the Superbowl? 64 votes

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    84% 54 votes
    Kansas City Chiefs
    15% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In Mahomes we trust, it’s that simple. The bloke is ridiculous. Yes, he has a serious supporting cast but the way he avoids the sack and throws dimes is next level. With him healthy you can’t but be confident. He’s never lost an NFL game by more than a single score which is insane coming to the end of year three as a starter.

The Bucs are dangerous of course and the loss of Eric Fisher is a very bad but this is the best offense in football and the defense has shown up big time in the playoffs. With my red blinkers on I think they’ll run it back and win by 10.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would love to see Brady do it with another team, but cant see past Mahomes and the Chiefs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Injuries will play a big part imo. Fisher out is huge when you see what JPP and Barrett did to Rodgers.

On the other side Winfield and Sneed (and Antonio Brown to a lesser extent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

radharc wrote: »
    Injuries will play a big part imo. Fisher out is huge when you see what JPP and Barrett did to Rodgers.

On the other side Winfield and Sneed (and Antonio Brown to a lesser extent)

Brown and Winfield will be back for the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ipitydafool

Cant see past the Chiefs here. The 3 point difference between them in regular season game flattered the bucs, chiefs destroyed them through the air and were 0 from 3 in the redzone. I know they went cover 2 later in game after the disaster of leaving Carlton Davis in man coverage on Hill but it is pick your poison with Mahomes and blitzing him just doesn't work yet todd bowles loves to blitz. Cant see him changing that for the final regardless of it being Mahomes he is facing.

Fisher is a big loss for the Chiefs OL but honestly don't think it matters given how elusive Mahomes is and how he can make plays out of the pocket. I expect Andy Reid and co to go back to back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cant see past the Chiefs here. The 3 point difference between them in regular season game flattered the bucs, chiefs destroyed them through the air and were 0 from 3 in the redzone. I know they went cover 2 later in game after the disaster of leaving Carlton Davis in man coverage on Hill but it is pick your poison with Mahomes and blitzing him just doesn't work yet todd bowles loves to blitz. Cant see him changing that for the final regardless of it being Mahomes he is facing.

I agree to a certain extent but a huge factor in the first game was the time that Mahomes got to pick his passes.

With Vita Vea back the Bucs will have massive pressure coming inside from himself and Suh which will force Mahomes into Shaq Barrett or JPP. Losing Fisher compounds that.

The Bucs will have learned a huge amount from that game and have 2 weeks to try a limit the damage that Hill and Kelce caused the first day.

I still expect the Chiefs to find a way but if the Bucs front 4 manage to get to Mahomes and for Devin White to be tasked with spying Mahomes for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Will Leftwich finally learn the lessons from the season, and stop running so ineffectively? Bucs really struggle to just get 1st downs at times. Their scheme is really poor at getting guys open. In comparison to KC, where Kelce always seems to have 5yd bubble around him.

Chiefs offence is too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

Going for the chiefs for 1 reason only, steve spagnola is Brady's kryptonite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Will Leftwich finally learn the lessons from the season, and stop running so ineffectively? Bucs really struggle to just get 1st downs at times. Their scheme is really poor at getting guys open. In comparison to KC, where Kelce always seems to have 5yd bubble around him.

I was amazed how poor the Buccs were on first downs last day, and also against the Bears earlier in the season which was the only other full game of theirs I watched. I think the debate around Brady's performance last day needs to keep that context in mind actually: he was constantly having to make big plays on third down, which he consistently did. He made some serious mistakes but he was in rough positions a lot due to bad playcalling. That's the kind of thing that catches up with teams eventually, especially as the Chiefs have a better D than the Packers who were very naive on multiple occasions, especially the TD before the half which was a complete failure on the part of their play caller, it is hard to imagine a worse call in fact, given the circumstances.

Since Mahomes is such a multi-threat on offence that you are really going to struggle to prevent them getting scores. You can pressure him so he doesn't have time but he's a massive running threat as well.

Yeah, I just can't see past the Chiefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So it seem like the chiefs are the favourites as it stands. I know I’m jumping ahead but let’s presume the chiefs do win Sunday week, do people think they may finally do the three peat that has for 55 years not happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Great storylines going into the big game. Glad I booked the Monday afterwards off.

I was amazed how poor the Buccs were on first downs last day, and also against the Bears earlier in the season which was the only other full game of theirs I watched. I think the debate around Brady's performance last day needs to keep that context in mind actually: he was constantly having to make big plays on third down, which he consistently did. He made some serious mistakes but he was in rough positions a lot due to bad playcalling. That's the kind of thing that catches up with teams eventually, especially as the Chiefs have a better D than the Packers who were very naive on multiple occasions, especially the TD before the half which was a complete failure on the part of their play caller, it is hard to imagine a worse call in fact, given the circumstances.

Since Mahomes is such a multi-threat on offence that you are really going to struggle to prevent them getting scores. You can pressure him so he doesn't have time but he's a massive running threat as well.

Yeah, I just can't see past the Chiefs.

The hope I would have for the Bucs, is that they did a solid job of containing the Chiefs in the 2nd half in their last game. Granted, Hill had eviscerated them at that stage, but one takes solace where one can.

If the Bucs can avoid a slow start, they'll be in with a shout. Their defense is better than the Chiefs, so if they can keep pace offensively, they have a chance. Having Vea back is massive. He allows them to generate pressure with a 4 man rush, which opens up the ability to double Hill and Kelce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

The Chiefs seem to have shook off the cobwebs and looked close to being themselves against the bills. I think they'll probably kick it up another notch now that they have the back to back within grasp. I got both games wrong last week but I thought the Bills had a good chance as the chiefs weren't firing on all cylinders. I can't see them slipping back to the regular season malaise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Any good previews or writers that people know of to get a good read from?
    I enjoy a bit of factual hype!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Surely there is no huge half time show rubbish so it might be over at a reasonable hour.

Usually only last the 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

irishgeo wrote: »
    Surely there is no huge half time show rubbish so it might be over at a reasonable hour.

Usually only last the 1st half.

The Weeknd is the half time show, usual half hour job no doubt.

And wash your mouth out, J-Lo and Shakira was far from rubbish :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Chiefs have 2 on the Covid list as they are close contacts to a positive case. One a backup center, Kilgore the 2nd WR Robinson.
    Expectation is if they test negative they will be available for Sunday.

A nightmare scenario for the NFL would be a covid outbreak in one of the teams between now and Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

lets go bucs, simple.

From a pats fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd be happy to see Brady and Gronk get another ring, fairytale stuff but its very hard to look past the Chiefs. Overall just a better team, but hopefully its a close one coming to the final stretch and it could be a case of whoever has the ball last wins

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aferru

Last July I put a bet on the Bucs winning it (it was 13/1).
    Last week PP closed my account!!! (I know...) - Was that an omen?

How's Mahomes toe? If not able to move freely 100% and without Fisher this could be the difference.
    Anyway for above I'll be routing for the Bucs!

I'd be happy to see Brady and Gronk get another ring, fairytale stuff but its very hard to look past the Chiefs. Overall just a better team, but hopefully its a close one coming to the final stretch and it could be a case of whoever has the ball last wins

It's an interesting one. Chiefs the better functioning offense, Mahomes can score at will. Bucs better on D, especially with the losses to the Chiefs OL. The Bucs OL has also been playing really well, Brady has hardly been touched so far.

Have it for the Chiefs, but there's definitely a chance for the Bucs. They can't have a slow start, have to maximize their chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

adrian522 wrote: »
    The Chiefs have 2 on the Covid list as they are close contacts to a positive case. One a backup center, Kilgore the 2nd WR Robinson.
    Expectation is if they test negative they will be available for Sunday.

A nightmare scenario for the NFL would be a covid outbreak in one of the teams between now and Sunday.
    NFL.com report they were close contacts of a barber who was cleared after testing negative 5 consecutive days before being allowed to come into the Chiefs facility to cut their hair

Just imagine if a stupid haircut caused a outbreak and cost you a superbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I have been back and forth on who has the best chance to win the game.

I am going to go for the bucanneers to edge it out in a close one purely on the strength of their defence which has been on fire in the playoffs and Bruce Arians will match Andy Reid for agressive down field plays which they will need to do to keep pace with KC if it turns into a high scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think the Chiefs OL issues will be decisive. Bucs by 3 in a squeaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

2JFpe9l.jpg

Just received this email from NFL UK. Something not quite right about this.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jesus Christ

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bigslick wrote: »
    2JFpe9l.jpg

Just received this email from NFL UK. Something not quite right about this.......

How the hell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus Christ

It’s actually drew bress but I’m sure some Saints fans might think he’s close. But anyway yeah that’s fairly bad and something you’d think nfl uk would get right. You’d say something if the Saints were in the Championship games but they weren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think some are really overplaying the Buccs defense. It isn't close to the level of the 49ers one last year and the Chiefs unfortunately only needed part of one quarter to catch on fire. I'm sure the Chiefs would prefer to have a full strength OL but I don't see it being a huge factor. Now if the shoe was on the other foot and the Buccs were missing that many starters Brady would be in serious trouble but Mahomes has so much more mobility and the Chiefs have really improved their quick short passing game compared to last year and the first half of this season.

I also don't put any weight in the Buccs coming back in the previous game. That had all the hallmarks of the Chiefs taking their foot off the gas, like they did in several games this season.

I know there is a lot of Brady loving casuals who bet this game but I'm absolutely shocked that the Chiefs are still only a 3 point favourite in most places.

Advertisement