Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LV Thread: Chiefs v Buccaneers (MOD Note Post #1)

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You brought up per game stats, as a reason to counter those saying he's ahead based on career ones. Every stat is a team stat, you can roll your eyes all you want, but that's as true for Brady's wins as it is Rodgers completion %.

I have to laugh at you mentioning Rodgers and Mahomes as two in future Goat convos. Did I miss where they'd passed Montana or Manning, let alone within a sniff of Brady?

Two of the three phases of the game have no direct impact on completion % compared to the huge impact each have on team wins. Team wins is the worst of all stats to use to compare two or more individual players in any team sport - becoming stupider and stupider as the team gets bigger.

I thought it would be obvious that I was mentioning Mahomes and Rodgers because they are active players.

I'm sure Rodgers gets the same reaction because of his ability alone, but I'm not so sure he motivates and drives on his team mates as much throughout a season. I certainly don't think he gets that reaction out of them 7 times in 20 years. There's too many stories of rifts with teammates and coaching staff, and criticising calls and decisions in public, for me to believe he gets anywhere near the same out of his teammates as Brady does.

We aren't talking about 7 times - we are talking about this game and the season just gone.
    Well people shouldn't be saying it about Sunday alone, but it's fine to say it after the result taking into a context another full season's body of work and success.

Glad you agree with my original post then. I'd have no issue with people talking about the whole season but there were plenty about winning that single game in the manner he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm reminded of Bill Belichick's comment when somebody talked about Randy Moss having a bad game which was stats are for losers, the final score is for winners.
    He then did a video review the next day on Patriots.com of the game pointing out Moss moving one way then the other to open up the field for Welker and other receivers and showing him run blocking.

Foxtrol wrote:
    We aren't talking about 7 times - we are talking about this game and the season just gone.
    You have an intense dislike for anything Patriots related, that's been clear and obvious to everybody for years. You've hated Brady for years and that'll never change.
    He is the GOAT, there's no question about it. The thing that makes him that is all the things I said before and then his clutch gear and there's very few have that. Off the top of my head I'd name Montana, Elway, Young, Eli Manning and Terry Bradshaw.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have an intense dislike for anything Patriots related, that's been clear and obvious to everybody for years. You've hated Brady for years and that'll never change.
    He is the GOAT, there's no question about it. The thing that makes him that is all the things I said before and then his clutch gear and there's very few have that. Off the top of my head I'd name Montana, Elway, Young, Eli Manning and Terry Bradshaw.

When all that goal post moving wasn't working for you lads I knew 'hater' was about to be thrown out - it was just a matter of who would do it :D

That tinfoil hat nonsense is said towards anyone that threatens the safety of the Patriot fan echo chamber by not being 100% effusive in their praise for everything even tangentially related to the Patriots. It seems you're sitting around waiting to take offense to completely innocuous stuff.

My 'hater' crime in this game thread - having the gall to say Brady's performance on Sunday wasn't anything special, especially in comparison to some of his team mates - a claim that none of his defenders have even disagreed with. My 'hater crime the last game thread that caused a similar white knight defense of poor Brady - saying Rodgers hasn't had the support from the Packers organisation that other QBs have had over the years.

I know you don't have much to look forward to with the direction your team is going and a lot of you are now living vicariously through Brady but you don't have to become outraged and start name calling to defend the honour of a QB that plays for another team, especially when no one even said anything negative about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Foxtrol wrote: »
    When all that goal post moving wasn't working for you lads I knew 'hater' was about to be thrown out - it was just a matter of who would do it :D

That tinfoil hat nonsense is said towards anyone that threatens the safety of the Patriot fan echo chamber by not being 100% effusive in their praise for everything even tangentially related to the Patriots. It seems you're sitting around waiting to take offense to completely innocuous stuff.

My 'hater' crime in this game thread - having the gall to say Brady's performance on Sunday wasn't anything special, especially in comparison to some of his team mates - a claim that none of his defenders have even disagreed with. My 'hater crime the last game thread that caused a similar white knight defense of poor Brady - saying Rodgers hasn't had the support from the Packers organisation that other QBs have had over the years.

I know you don't have much to look forward to with the direction your team is going and a lot of you are now living vicariously through Brady but you don't have to become outraged and start name calling to defend the honour of a QB that plays for another team, especially when no one even said anything negative about him.

It's pretty easy to see through your veneer. Merrily predicting a Chiefs blowout, despite all the evidence pointing to a tight game. Quickly looking to downplay Brady's performance, going on about being able to throw any old QB in with the same results. Denigrating his various records as mere products of volume, and thus less valuable than other stats that focus on efficiency or such.

You'd warrant some respect if you just owned your dislike, rather than try for this dissembling approach where you say Brady is great, but he's really not because of all these reasons which mean the latest pretender is better.

Foxtrol wrote:
    When all that goal post moving wasn't working for you lads I knew 'hater' was about to be thrown out - it was just a matter of who would do it
    What goalpost moving? I never changed it. I've said the same things for years.

It's clear for years that you hate the Patriots. I'm sure that you'll hate the next team that dominates too if it's not your team

Brady had a 125 QB rating on Sunday. That's the eighth best rating in a Superbowl, he holds the 7th and 3rd best as well, the only QB with more than one top ten QB rating in Superbowls.

It's pretty easy to see through your veneer. Merrily predicting a Chiefs blowout, despite all the evidence pointing to a tight game.

How is that anything Brady or Patriot related?

I gave my opinion, where I said in advance could turn out to be a 'freezing cold take'. My reasoning on Sunday, and where I went wrong, had absolutely nothing to do with Brady, it was how I believed the refs would call the game and my confidence in the Chiefs' offense and Mahomes - made worse by not realizing how injured he was.
    Quickly looking to downplay Brady's performance, going on about being able to throw any old QB in with the same results.

I said it wasn't special like it was being implied by many posters. No one, including yourself, has claimed otherwise. Are you 'a hater' too?
    Denigrating his various records as mere products of volume, and thus less valuable than other stats that focus on efficiency or such.

You're the one that brought stats into it, claiming that he had 'all the stats'. I just corrected you on the fact that nearly all Brady's records are volume based rather than per game or per attempt.

You mightn't like it but it is a fact, not 'hating'.
    You'd warrant some respect if you just owned your dislike, rather than try for this dissembling approach where you say Brady is great, but he's really not because of all these reasons which mean the latest pretender is better.

I think this is the big difference here - I don't give a second thought to the Patriots, Brady, or the fantasy world some of the fanbase seems to live in, nor what 'respect' you believe I deserve. Brady is an incredible player, with achievements likely never to be matched, but he isn't some flawless godlike deity that you make him out to be.

Even though it is really sad for you, feel free to continue to try to look for hidden 'hater' meaning in my and other poster's comments that don't even mention either Brady or the Patriots. You clearly spend a lot more time thinking about us than we do about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think Tom had one too many avocado juices....

https://streamable.com/tneu9v

eagle eye wrote: »
    What goalpost moving? I never changed it. I've said the same things for years.

I meant goalpost moving broadly amongst the Brady/Patriot honour guard. Just in the last 2 game threads we got these flip flopping gems:
    • Wins are what counts not performances until Brady plays well in a loss and then they should be looked at.
    • Wins are a QB stat until people mention Brady's loses and then it is because he didn't have the support.
    • Bill, Gronk, Kraft are GOATs and other Patriot players and coaches are greats until they are used to point to how Brady has support that other QBs didn't have and then suddenly Brady was playing with scrubs.
    • Brady has great stats until it is pointed out that nearly all of them are cumulative and then only wins matter.

Each time goal posts are moved or 'hater' is thrown out. It is especially funny because the discussions had nothing to do with that.
    It's clear for years that you hate the Patriots. I'm sure that you'll hate the next team that dominates too if it's not your team

I covered the 'hater' thing already. If following people around calling them 'haters' keeps you going during these tough times then fire ahead.
    Brady had a 125 QB rating on Sunday. That's the eighth best rating in a Superbowl, he holds the 7th and 3rd best as well, the only QB with more than one top ten QB rating in Superbowls.

That is some incredible cherry picking of stats.

He put together that rating while throwing for just 201 yards and having an incredibly clean pocket, being pressured on just 4 times. Throw on top of that the refs calling back a clear INT where the 'foul' had nothing to do with the interception.

• Advertisement

That's hilarious and probably somewhat explains the trophy toss earlier (also hilarious).

I get them wanting to celebrate but the team running that in the middle of COVID is a terrible look, especially with how bad the fans were over the Super Bowl weekend. Florida is gonna Florida though.

Foxtrol wrote:
    He put together that rating while throwing for just 201 yards and having an incredibly clean pocket, being pressured on just 4 times. Throw on top of that the refs calling back a clear INT where the 'foul' had nothing to do with the interception.

His movement in the pocket has always been incredible. He takes two steps forwards or backwards and one or two right or left to buy more time for receivers to get open. He's been doing it for years and it's incredible. He has the best movement and pocket awareness of any QB ever. He helps his linemen and they look better because of what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1359624029649457162

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

WRT the discussion above, Brady has had 2 HOF careers at this stage. He's won more SBs than any other franchise, let alone player.
    There's no one else even in the discussion for GOAT at this stage.

We can all have our favorite players (mine is Favre for instance), but even if Brady's not your favorite and you hate the pats, you can't but acknowledge what he's done. And continues to do at 43. He's at the stage now where he's played with the fathers of those he's currently playing with. His OC entered the league after him, lost to him, and retired as a player after a long (10 year) career by normal NFL standards. All whilst being younger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

ELM327 wrote: »
    WRT the discussion above, Brady has had 2 HOF careers at this stage. He's won more SBs than any other franchise, let alone player.

We can all have our favorite players (mine is Favre for instance), but even if Brady's not your favorite and you hate the pats, you can't but acknowledge what he's done. And continues to do at 43. He's at the stage now where he's played with the fathers of those he's currently playing with. His OC entered the league after him, lost to him, and retired as a player after a long (10 year) career by normal NFL standards. All whilst being younger than him.

ha ha snap, Favre was my favourite player aswell and the main reason i started following the packers. What a player, you always felt we had a chance with him.

ELM327 wrote: »

I haven't seen a single poster here that hasn't acknowledged this. The belief otherwise is purely in the heads of certain posters, where they see slights and 'haters' everywhere - even in posts that don't even refer to Brady. It would be pathetic if it wasn't so funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think I wuda been an even better quarterback than Brady, and won more Super Bowls, had I played American football instead of gaa from the age of 8.

Advertisement