Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear shock on a budget

• 25-01-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I've been stuck at home a lot over the last year which means I've been in the shed a lot. The natural outcome of that is that I've started building a DIY recumbent.

If you don't know a recumbent bicycle is one where you sit low to the ground on a reclining seat with the pedals out in front. Since you can't stand up on the pedals for a little natural suspension many recumbent bicycles come with rear shocks even if they're not built for off-roading.

Unfortunately I don't know much about rear suspension since I've only ever ridden a hardtail.

I don't want to spend big money on a fancy Fox shock or the like because at most I'll be riding gravel on this thing. I'm not going to be going over ANY jumps and need minimal travel. I just want it for a bit of comfort and stability going over potholes.

For very cheap rear suspension you've got the option of a simple spring like you find on a supermarket bike (basically useless) or generic Chinese options from alibaba.com for tiny money that I presume will break immediately.

From there it seems to jump up to rockshox monarch for about €170. Are the rockshox shocks reasonably reliable for very light usage? Are there cheaper options possibly worth considering? Suntour perhaps? Or a vaguely reputable Chinese alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

what size shock are you looking for? i've a few lying around which are surplus to requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

boomdocker wrote: »
    what size shock are you looking for? i've a few lying around which are surplus to requirements

Well I'm still in the design and prototype stage so that's not set in stone. Anything from 150-190mm bolt to bolt length could be made for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Ok, let me have a look and see if I have anything suitable

Advertisement