Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion Laptop & VM wifi

Options
  • 25-01-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an odd query - we've VM broadband / wifi, there are 15 devices connected to it all over the house and works flawlessly.

... Except for a HP Pavilion laptop circa 2015 vintage - download speed c 0.20mps over wifi and constantly drops, full speed when connected by Ethernet. We used to have Eir broadband, no issue and full wifi speed. If we connect via mobile hotspot (which is still using the same VM broadband), the wifi speed is perfect.

From internet searches this is a common enough issue specifically between HP & VM, but I have never seen a solution for it.

Just thought I'd tap into the boardsies wealth of knowledge to see if there's any hints... have followed all the usual instructions, reinstall drivers etc, to no avail. I am loath to ring VM!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

How is your VM router set up? Are you using 2.4GHz, 5GHz or both?
    Does your laptop support 5GHz or only 2.4Ghz.

I've had all sorts of trouble with the 2.4GHz network provided by the VM routers. Currently, I have the VM router setup to provide only 5GHz coverage, and I use a different access point to provide coverage in the 2.4GHz band, because, of course, I need this too, for older devices that do not support 5GHz.

What is your OS.

Win 10,8,7 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

NoDrama wrote: »

He said speed was fine when connecting to a mobile hotspot, which rules out the laptop's settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Like others have all sorts of problems with VM wifi.
    Am now not using the VM WiFi, I'm using a Mesh system and the VM hub is only in bridge mode.
    That fixed about 99% of the problems I was having.

On older laptops, installing a newer internal Wifi card, or a USB improves things.
    The WiFi on all our newer devices and laptops is much better than our old devices.
    Even though on paper there isn't that much difference, in reality they are much better.

Be aware the WiFi in laptops is not all the same. Some have far better WiFi cards than others do.
    Obviously price is a factor in this.

Some old phones and Laptops, WiFi cars may not support all the latest standards and security property.
    Make sure they have the latest firmware and turning off power saving can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Wasn't expecting so many responses!

We're using the VM Media Hub (white one), 250mb connection. I'm pretty sure it is emitting both 2.4 and 5 GHz, the laptop is old and may only have the option to connect via 2.4 - but i'll see if I can change this. It is close enough to the router. Funnily, I did connect by Ethernet cable there and the speed test was only running at about 25Mps, so not great either. For comparison my phone over wifi and upstairs is getting 150Mps + easily.

Laptop is running Windows 10.

I will try the RSC suggestion.

I do sometimes think it's just a really poor wifi card, but then it worked ok (if not spectacularly, but reasonably well) with Eir, and is fine over mobile hotspot - it's just connecting to VM router when the real problems arise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you have slow connection via ethernet it might be something else throttling the laptop.

It not just the WiFi card. Sometimes the routers are badly designed.
    I get much faster speed from the VM router when I have it in bridge mode.

Some router have poor compatibility with some mobiles and laptops/WiFi cards.

For example my VM doesn't automatically switch to the least congested channel. Its meant to, but you'll find most of them are all on the same channel. The 5Ghz range on mine is brutal. 2.4ghz only worked on about 80% of our devices. It just a bad WiFi router. IMO.

Advertisement