Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Coffee Vans

• 25-01-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I see hook and ladder and another company blackbird are both operating mobile van/trailer coffee stands in different locations around the town but keep getting shut down.

Anyone know is this planning Covid or just people objecting? Having used both businesses thought they provided a bit of escapism for people, along with warm coffee on the 3 bridges walk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

sioda wrote: »
    I see hook and ladder and another company blackbird are both operating mobile van/trailer coffee stands in different locations around the town but keep getting shut down.

Anyone know is this planning Covid or just people objecting? Having used both businesses thought they provided a bit of escapism for people, along with warm coffee on the 3 bridges walk.

I assume it's because it's encouraging people to congregate near their stalls, what has been happening at the slipway near St Michael's Boat Club is a joke, definitely no 2m distancing while queuing or while chatting after getting their coffees.

Also,not Covid related but still a bit of a public nuisance a few people leave their empties on the steps nearby rather than use one of the bins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

So typical we just can't have nice things due to a few eejits.

The times I'd been at both spacing was fine tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's got nothing to do with Covid. They're all illegal as they don't have planning permission.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/604560/storm-in-a-coffee-cup-as-limerick-council-targets-unauthorised-mobile-vans.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

How is it that the same planners refused this http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/20834/0 but it is still in operation.They closed the vans straight away

The thread about it on the Leader site (yes I know it's a rag) has some amount of comments the majority in support of it.

The love for the council is not high 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Interesting to see how the new Locke Bar chipper van will be treated by the Council.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stanford wrote: »
    Interesting to see how the new Locke Bar chipper van will be treated by the Council.
    If they've got permission for it, then there'll be no issue.

I'm aware of that fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭djdunny

Stanford wrote: »

They were operating Locke Burger from the same van for a lot of last year so I can’t see how they would have an issue this time around.

I have since discovered that they have applied for and been granted planning permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

I see Darren O'Connell announcing he's had to shut his one indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

AnonZen wrote: »
    I see Darren O'Connell announcing he's had to shut his one indefinitely.

Which one is his ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭djdunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

djdunny wrote: »

Thanks.

Seeing as these things are popular would it not be a good idea for the council to work with these people and designate some areas for rental. I would say a killing could be made on O'Callaghan or down the canal at the moment and they are no more dangerous to social distancing than any other coffee shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Seeing as these things are popular would it not be a good idea for the council to work with these people and designate some areas for rental. I would say a killing could be made on O'Callaghan or down the canal at the moment and they are no more dangerous to social distancing than any other coffee shop

Major incompetence and lack of vision or interest by our executive, there’s been huge appetite for this since long before Covid. The executive are hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Major incompetence and lack of vision or interest by our executive, there’s been huge appetite for this since long before Covid. The executive are hopeless.

Luckily we will be getting a chance to vote for our mayor this year, a mayor that will be taking over some of the chief executives powers and functions. Make your voice heard with the candidates when they are announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

martyc5674 wrote: »

The executive are hardly to blame for our planning laws.

I see Blackbird coffee have got permission to trade at the milk market. Going to be hard going up against Harper's, Mari's and the Turkish sand coffee guy (rocket fuel).

Advertisement