Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Abuse in The Green Party

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not that they aren't serious issues that are under investigation.

But deliberately conflating issues some of which that happened years ago with current issues and people leaving over policy differences is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I cannot see why they cannot champion the remote working, specifically facilitating better internet connection, workspaces, etc. Also, public transport is dire in this country. They need to incentivise green policy. Work on an allowance for people working from home, free public transport at peak hours, etc. More people will likely come along on the Green journey if they push these aspects

Over 300 posts. More to come, no doubt.

..and bingo we have the objective...

BettyS wrote: »
    I cannot see why they cannot champion the remote working, specifically facilitating better internet connection, workspaces, etc. Also, public transport is dire in this country. They need to incentivise green policy. Work on an allowance for people working from home, free public transport at peak hours, etc. More people will likely come along on the Green journey if they push these aspects

They seem to have lost focus in govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

beauf wrote: »
    Not that they aren't serious issues that are under investigation.

But deliberately conflating issues some of which that happened years ago with current issues and people leaving over policy differences is questionable.

Look take it up with those writing the articles and eliciting comments like this from Green members:
    Aengus Ó Corráin, who was Ms Bogue's campaign manager in 2016, told Newstalk there were two key reasons for the string of resignations.

He said: "First, I think because there's been a failure of competence, in particular in regard to the communication from the parliamentary party and the Ministers since we've entered Government and I think that's contributed to massive misunderstandings of our first few policy initiatives.

"Second, I think it's happening because the grassroots and the Councillors below the TDs feel they are being ignored and criticisms they have of how the party does business at the highest level is not being listened to.

• Advertisement

Look take it up with those writing the articles and eliciting comments like this from Green members:

None of that references internal abuse ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

The Green rebellion smacks of nothing more than some uppity councillors bitter they didn't get into the Dáil off the back of the "Green Wave".

Kavanagh certainly seems to be a wannabe career politican looking for a safe Dáil seat and cushy protest career.

In fairness the lack of green policies is valid. Much of the rest is normal politics. Infighting and squabbles.

Much of the recent harassment that's been mentioned is external and social media. I'm sure they could investigate and find it's probably a handful of people.

None of that references internal abuse ...

Other comments do. WTF?

Look, I am not dragging the thread down any more than it has defending it's existence. I quoted a source and there are others for the internal abuse and harassment allegations.

If you have an issue with the legitimacy of the thread take it to the mods.

I guess its been a slow year politically, and people are getting C19 jaded. What the tabloid's need is some non specific outrage unburdened with too many facts.

Might of a gone a bit early with this one though. Might be a while to the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I guess its been a slow year politically, and people are getting C19 jaded. What the tabloid's need is some non specific outrage unburdened with too many facts.

Might of a gone a bit early with this one though. Might be a while to the next election.

The news is slow, f**k all happening and nearly no sport to watch. Stories that wouldn't even have been in the press 12 months ago are now frontline news. The most mundane dribble.
    Everyone is so tightly wound they are outraged by everything. People really need to learn how to turn it all off and go for a walk.
    You literally have a thread of outrage on this forum about something that might never happen. Yeah when pointed out to people they get more outraged because you are not outraged to start with. Vicious circle at the moment. A lot of anger out there.

Allegations of abuse and harassment, councillors and members leaving, public spats over going into government, a leadership challenge and polling very badly in a target demographic of a governing party is news, global pandemic or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Allegations of abuse and harassment, councillors and members leaving, public spats over going into government, a leadership challenge and polling very badly in a target demographic of a governing party is news, global pandemic or not.

Nah there's no culture of bullying in the Greens to be honest. There's a cynical councillor thinks he has a shot at a Dáil seat that got beaten to the punch in the resignation stakes. Needed a different excuse.

All this "drama" can't even keep Eamon awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

BettyS wrote: »

The government has come out in support of remote working, the Greens are in government so I would expect they are part of this decision
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/32321-tanaiste-publishes-remote-working-strategy/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are you saying that because you answered the thread that it should be closed? :)

Closed? No, those are ghosts in your head Francie, that you are always clutching.

This is an interesting article that covers much of what the Greens are about.
    The pragmatists V the idealists.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/9/14543938/donald-trump-richard-rorty-election-liberalism-conservatives
    “I propose to use the term reformist Left,” Rorty wrote, “to cover all those Americans who, between 1900 and 1964, struggled within the framework of constitutional democracy to protect the weak from the strong.” The emphasis on constitutional democracy is paramount here. Reformists believed in the system, and wanted to improve it from within.

Why are they going into government and shelving harmless policy positions

How much resources will be wasted this year persueing people for cannabis?

As I said, if its in the PFG it will get done, if its not, then it wont.
    Ask the Greens why it was dropped in the negotations.

Labour insisted on it after years of campaigning and opposition action.

The Labour Party formed a policy point on Same-Sex Marriage.
    They entered government to achieve and enact that policy.

Amazing, it's true, but yes that is what happened!!
    Imagine that, government parties getting things done. Who would have thought it!! :D:D

Nah there's no culture of bullying in the Greens to be honest. There's a cynical councillor thinks he has a shot at a Dáil seat that got beaten to the punch in the resignation stakes. Needed a different excuse.

They were to have an independant review into accusations,id imagine the results of this are due to be released soon......or will the leadership cover it up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40120574.html%3ftype=amp

Chairperson of 2 green latch on groups resigned over bullying

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/chairpersons-of-two-green-party-affiliate-groups-resign-claiming-they-have-been-ignored-bullied-and-harassed-39663244.html

A cork based ex green, councillor has tweeted complaining if leadership down playing bullying

https://mobile.twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1355650657345277958

The lad who resigned this week,claimed it was as a result of abusive emails/mesages telling him not to critise the leadership

Eamon ryan last july admitted its party structures couldnt handle the amount of complaints of bullying it was getting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/headtopics.com/ie/green-party-swamped-with-bullying-complaints-from-members-14343826

A quick google,would suggest there is a significant rot and culture of bullying after setting in,within that party??

I wouldnt dismiss.this lads complaint out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

markodaly wrote: »
    As I said, if its in the PFG it will get done, if its not, then it wont.
    Ask the Greens why it was dropped in the negotations.

The PFG states that any projects already approved will proceed as normal.
    Yet Eamon Ryan has held off on signing off on the tender for a road in Limerick that was highlighted 14years ago in the Fitzgerald as vital to the integration of Moyross into the broader Limerick city area.
    A road that has already had major engineering and groundworks completed and @20mln spent.

1 of the local green councillors has put her social media on private, another has lied about the position of walls and blocked pedestrian access to LIT.

And the local green TD is engaging (or rather not) in ignoring constituents and a game of radio silence.

The road in question is a link that the Fitzgerald report called for, it's a link that the largest housing estate in the country outside of Dublin is in desperate need of.
    It's continuing hiatus, only exacerbates the social isolation, exclusion and lack of social equity afforded a large portion of Limerick.

The idealogy here is contributing to continuing deprivation amongst those most at need.

• Advertisement

The Labour Party formed a policy point on Same-Sex Marriage.
    They entered government to achieve and enact that policy.

Amazing, it's true, but yes that is what happened!!
    Imagine that, government parties getting things done. Who would have thought it!! :D:D

And why did Labour do that mark? Because they were a part of the opposition previously campaigning for it.

the programme for government is not the green party policies

Yous want a discussion on green policies,but straight away slink behind the programme for government to shut down.any discussion then....

This is not hard.
    So, let us try again.

The Greens set out their stall before the last election.
    They entered the government to try and agree on a PFG, which they did.

Green Party Policies != PFG

Just because the Greens may have been for something say 12 months ago, does not mean that now they are in government it automatically gets done.
    If you want that, then you need the Greens to get in as a majority, something no Irish party has done since 1977.

In the PFG, we have this.
    Examine the regulations and legislation that apply to
    cannabis use for medical conditions and palliative care,
    having regard to the experience in Northern Ireland and
    Great Britain.

So, it seems they want to try and enact Medical Cannabis legislation, a first step in the longe process of legalising cannabis.

Also, it has to be noted. Sinn Fein does NOT support the blanket decriminalisation of Cannabis.

Lolz,a virtue signaling lib,through and through,with no depth to your pretend complaint of people not discussing policy....how was it,you described others on this msg board......as deep as fake tan

Is it true the greens voted againest abortion in stormont??

I don't even know what this means, or what you are trying to communicate.
    But, the PFG is here.
    https://assets.gov.ie/94092/50f892b9-a93e-43fc-81d1-778ff9954d9f.pdf

And why did Labour do that mark? Because they were a part of the opposition previously campaigning for it.

No, they did it because they were in government.

Being on the opposition benches means you can jump up and down about any ol issue, but at the end of the day, to enact change, you need to be in government.

They were to have an independant review into accusations,id imagine the results of this are due to be released soon......or will the leadership cover it up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40120574.html%3ftype=amp

Chairperson of 2 green latch on groups resigned over bullying

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/chairpersons-of-two-green-party-affiliate-groups-resign-claiming-they-have-been-ignored-bullied-and-harassed-39663244.html

A cork based ex green, councillor has tweeted complaining if leadership down playing bullying

https://mobile.twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1355650657345277958

The lad who resigned this week,claimed it was as a result of abusive emails/mesages telling him not to critise the leadership

Eamon ryan last july admitted its party structures couldnt handle the amount of complaints of bullying it was getting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/headtopics.com/ie/green-party-swamped-with-bullying-complaints-from-members-14343826

A quick google,would suggest there is a significant rot and culture of bullying after setting in,within that party??

I wouldnt dismiss.this lads complaint out of hand

Not dismissing it. Just pointing out that is not quite as being portrayed.

If you actually follow all of these to their sources. Its seems to be the same general pattern. People speaking out against party policy, then going public with the spat, which is against their own procedures. Trial by media etc. Then there is backlash on social media, emails etc., because they've done this. They engage with this. This all seems to be anonymous (apparently), which turns nasty, from people claiming to by members. Probably are, might not be either. Who knows.

I don't agree with these policies either. Resigning is the right thing to so if you realise you are swimming uphill. But I'm looking for the smoking gun in all this and I can't see it. It would be very machiavellian if this was a culture orchestrated by the party, to drive them out. I can't see a party thats so inept having the guile to do this.

Being on the opposition benches means you can jump up and down about any ol issue, but at the end of the day, to enact change, you need to be in government.

You also need to have influence while in Govt, not constantly roll over. :D

You also need to have influence while in Govt, not constantly roll over. :D

In government, if you are 12 TD's out of 80 odd, you need to pick your battles.

And pressure for change mark. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. I would have more respect if you were not do protective just because your party is in government. Everyone plays their part in our system. The 'jump up and down' childishness is a trope.

And pressure for change mark. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. I would have more respect if you were not do protective just because your party is in government. Everyone plays their part in our system. The 'jump up and down' childishness is a trope.

Where does it say in the Constitution that the opposition parties also run the country?

In government, if you are 12 TD's out of 80 odd, you need to pick your battles.

That's not working out so well... again...

• Advertisement

Where does it say in the Constitution that the opposition parties also run the country?

Mark, oppositions will be around long after you and I are not...best get used to them. Your own party was happy to be an opposition party.

Advertisement