Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Abuse in The Green Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bit more in this article
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40213634.html
    A fourth Green Party councillor has quit the party, saying that the culture within the party had led to the toleration of personalised abuse.

Clondalkin Councillor Peter Kavanagh was the party's Irish language spokesperson and took part in government formation talks last summer.

Mr Kavanagh today tendered his resignation from the party, with his resignation letter saying that he began to receive abuse from within the party over his criticism of party leader Eamon Ryan's use of a racial slur in the Dáil while quoting from a newspaper article.

His resignation follows those of Cork City councillor Lorna Bogue, Ballyfermot-Drimnagh councillor Sophie Nicoullaud and Tallaght councillor Liam Sinclair.

The Greens took 49 seats in the 2019 local elections amid a so-called "Green Wave".

Pleasant people don't pimp this type of politics. Pleasant people don't have a preferred gender pronoun. There is simply no arguing on this.

Also know the man and he's a lovely guy. Meanwhile none of your postings reflect on you particularly well. In fact, anyone you view as unpleasant is likely incredibly pleasant. The criticisms you have of him simply does not make him the terrible person you think they do..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Personally I find sanctimony to be a very pleasant trait

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are too many holy Joe righteous types in the Greens and they can be horrendous, obnoxious freaks to those that disagree with them in the slightest.

Especially if that person is a fellow Green party member.

They'll hound out the people who don't disagree with them on something and quit themselves in time over some small policy disagreement.

Either way they'll kill the party in time.

Kavanagh is included in this.

Opting to go into the comfy seats was bad enough, everyone knew they would be decimated at the next election but to do it and by the looks of things, decimate the actual party...seems bizarre.

If they didn't go in people would not have voted for them again.

If the numbers dictate then a party has an obligation to try. A party not in power is a party that has failed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quitting the party because you didn't like how your leader read from a newspaper??

What an absolute snowflake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Listening to Ryan stumble his way through yet another interview on Newstalk here, it's no wonder the party is slowly imploding.

Good riddance. We have enough problems in this country without fantasy policies and more taxes dressed up as saving the bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Part of been in a party especially when you are a public representative is respecting how the membership vote. The membership voted to go into government and agreed to the PFG.

The greens got a good chuck of councillors elected while they campaigned on the environment they are more politically aligned with PBP/Solidarity/RISE.

I see now thay the alphabet soup of the left are making a play for these green voters and Murphy is now an eco socilist.

Although I'd say he is just trying to get more members before he splits from himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    you're obsessed with SF, keep the posts on topic.

He didnt mention SF ? So you are implying that SF have heavys that show up at people's doors

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Listening to Ryan stumble his way through yet another interview on Newstalk here, it's no wonder the party is slowly imploding.

Good riddance. We have enough problems in this country without fantasy policies and more taxes dressed up as saving the bunnies

What taxes have the Greens brought in?

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »
    He didnt mention SF ? So you are implying that SF have heavys that show up at people's doors

I'm fairness Blanch only ever talks about SF.

It's a given. He has brought them in to threads on Munster rugby to wind turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Roderic O'Gorman seems like one of the most dislikeable politicians that has been around in a long time.

Dislikeable? I dont know the man.

Out of his depth, absolutely, the handling of creches during lockdowns was a shambles and he was nowhere to be seen.

If is is one of the best they have it is no surprise they are crumbling. Better suited to be on the outside pretending they would do things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Councillor leaves political party. Not sure what the big news is here? if it was a TD it might be worth a thread but a councillor.
    Interesting to see posts about tax and Greens? I think people forget all the Carbon taxes and joining the Paris agreement have been introduced by the lovely FG party. When they got introduced the Greens had zero power.

Since the Greens got into government the only initiative I have seen them involved in is the Bord na Mona one which is saving loads of jobs for people who would probably never get rehired anywhere else. Not a bad initiative when compared to what the rest of the government have done?

Are people really still upset with the Greens because they changed the tax on cars 13 years ago?

Danzy wrote: »
    There are too many holy Joe righteous types in the Greens and they can be horrendous, obnoxious freaks to those that disagree with them in the slightest.

They'll hound out the people who don't disagree with them on something and quit themselves in time over some small policy disagreement.

Are you a member of the Green Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Councillor leaves political party. Not sure what the big news is here? if it was a TD it might be worth a thread but a councillor.
    Interesting to see posts about tax and Greens? I think people forget all the Carbon taxes and joining the Paris agreement have been introduced by the lovely FG party. When they got introduced the Greens had zero power.

Since the Greens got into government the only initiative I have seen them involved in is the Bord na Mona one which is saving loads of jobs for people who would probably never get rehired anywhere else. Not a bad initiative when compared to what the rest of the government have done?

Are people really still upset with the Greens because they changed the tax on cars 13 years ago? f**k me

4 councillors have left all of them citing abuse and harrassment.

4 councillors have left all of them citing abuse and harrassment.

So? a councillor has nothing to do with the Dail and running the country. I am sure councillors have left all the parties over the last few months.

So? a councillor has nothing to do with the Dail and running the country. I am sure councillors have left all the parties over the last few months.

SO abuse and harrassment are ok as long as it isn't a TD? Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Always nice when nasty, intolerant left wing types have a cry when they find themselves being harassed and abused by other hate filled, nasty, left wing types.

https://twitter.com/TheKavOfficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

A quick scan of his Twitter:

- he blames "the man" for high rates of Covid among travellers

-he thinks we give a shiet about his preferred gender pronouns

- talks a good game on homelessness, presumably also wants asylum seekers treated as a housing priority as per Green Party manifesto. Can't have one and have the other boyo.

- had a moan about Hazel Chu copping flak for her anti Gardai nonsense

Like virtually all modern leftists, likely a truly unpleasant individual who doesn't like it when he gets back what his friends give out.

-

Peter Kavanagh is an epic Wanker, that's common knowledge

Part time councillor, full time Twitrer warrior

SO abuse and harrassment are ok as long as it isn't a TD? Strange.

That's for the Garda to deal with isn't it?
    You don't seem to concerned about abuse and harassment with other parties so why do you care about it happening in the Greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Leave them be. A year or two more or this carry on will result in their demise for another couple of elections.

• Advertisement

You don't seem to concerned about abuse and harassment with other parties so why do you care about it happening in the Greens?

I reckon it would be par for the course in all parties. The noteworthy thing here is it is causing resignations as it has done in other parties. Which is a sign of a party readjusting.
    The questions I asked in the OP remain relevant therefore.
    Is accepting a role in government going to destroy the whole party? Is it effectively two parties now, the Eamonn Ryan one and the Catherine Martin one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Leave them be. A year or two more or this carry on will result in their demise for another couple of elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no abuse and harassment in other parties unless there has been a court conviction, don't you know?

This is all pretty low-level stuff. When you see councillors in the North not able to run for re-election because of threats from supporters of other parties, you get a sense of what real abuse and harassment looks like.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mairia-cahill-wins-right-for-candidates-to-keep-home-addresses-hidden-40010738.html

How so?

Is the Green Party a place that is open to balanced, well thought out ideas on subjects like immigration and justice?

I don't think it is. I think if you suggested a few practical ideas you would be blacklisted.

Thus it is a home primarily for unpleasant people.

It's a bit more complex than that

The progressive wing of the party ( i mean ultra progressive as there all progressive) have attempted to exert more power, the likes of saoirse mchugh, Peter kavanagh, o gorman

Catherine Martin is also on the progressive wing

A good old schism

I knew the guy years ago, he's a very pleasant man. Your logic is just twisted

Heard him on the last word several times, he's an authoritarian SJW of the worst kind

Mad_maxx wrote: »

The progressive wing of the party ( i mean ultra progressive as there all progressive) have attempted to exert more power, the likes of saoirse mchugh, Peter kavanagh, o gorman

A good old schism

If you look at most parties they have different ideas. A large section of both FF and FG would have no problem dumping their leaders if they had the chance. It's the same with the Greens.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

A good old schism

Do you think they will split or will there be a purge and they move on, diminished but rebulding?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They've fallen into a serious trap, they don't truly represent those that are and will be experiencing serious environmental issues going forward, the young, they're very out of touch of these urgent generational needs, they're in trouble

Do you think they will split or will there be a purge and they move on, diminished but rebulding?

The WOKE ultras ( like Peter Kavanagh )will probably defect to the Soc Dems or just become professional Twitter demagogues like Saoirse Mchugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    They've fallen into a serious trap, they don't truly represent those that are and will be experiencing serious environmental issues going forward, the young, they're very out of touch of these urgent generational needs, they're in trouble

I have pointed this out before in other threads but unlike say Fianna Fail who are always after power for power's sake or say Sinn Fein who are only interested in opposition and protest for opposition's sake, the Greens aren't interested in whether they will be re-elected. Achieving change is their mantra and the likes of the Waste Management Plan which will see further bans for SUPs is the kind of legacy they want to leave.

Advertisement