Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do do that but don’t forget that pile of bones that is a result of stuff being opened too early in 2020 in UK as Tories declared victory too early

What has that got to do with the Astra Zeneca vaccine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

One thing that genuinely puzzles me is the dearth of publicity and good news stories about the vaccines and the number of people getting them here.
    My friends in the UK tell me there's almost like a VE days spirit around the many vaccination centres and social media is rammed with pictures and stories of people getting their jabs - I'm sure this has fed into the high level of acceptance of the jabs over there.
    Here it's almost like they're being delivered by stealth.
    I wish there was more positivity.

Whilst it wasn't exactly a party when I went in early March, you could sense that everyone in the queue had big grins under their masks. The vaccination volunteers all seemed delighted to be there, everyone queuing up was delighted to be queuing. Social media posts of vaccination cards and people wearing their vaccination stickers are quickly liked by all your friends. The moment I'd noticed I could book and had posted about that category being opened up all my social media acquaintances in the same group were jumping straight on the booking system. From then being parked outside the vaccination centre again a couple of weeks ago for the wife to get jabbed, and a bunch of other friends then having booked similar time slots once we'd noticed the system go live again the queue was again still full of delighted people. Then watching people emerge from the building and removing their masks as they got back into the cars with big grins on their faces. Lots of people changing their profile pictures as they get done still.

Also seeing similar from my USA social media contacts with massive delight as they get vaccinated.

Not seeing the same from my Irish and EU contacts.

There is a clear history of lies, mistakes and a death count to reflect these feckups, from which no lessons were learned. Just like Brexit vaccinations have ended up being about “feelings” and not facts as displayed higher up in thread.

Everyone should go to the pub this weekend in uk, it be a good experiment I say. Good luck!

So nothing to do with the vaccination then, OK.

As for everyone going out tonight, they are in Liverpool.

BBC News - Covid: UK clubbers set to return to Liverpool for trial night
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56943652

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robinph wrote: »
    Whilst it wasn't exactly a party when I went in early March, you could sense that everyone in the queue had big grins under their masks. The vaccination volunteers all seemed delighted to be there, everyone queuing up was delighted to be queuing. Social media posts of vaccination cards and people wearing their vaccination stickers are quickly liked by all your friends. The moment I'd noticed I could book and had posted about that category being opened up all my social media acquaintances in the same group were jumping straight on the booking system. From then being parked outside the vaccination centre again a couple of weeks ago for the wife to get jabbed, and a bunch of other friends then having booked similar time slots once we'd noticed the system go live again the queue was again still full of delighted people. Then watching people emerge from the building and removing their masks as they got back into the cars with big grins on their faces. Lots of people changing their profile pictures as they get done still.

Also seeing similar from my USA social media contacts with massive delight as they get vaccinated.

Still very low numbers vaccinated here, we'll see in about 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Social media 'friends'. Yeah, right.

Must be true so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Social media 'friends'. Yeah, right.

Must be true so!

What must be true?

Are you doubting these people exist?
    Are you doubting they post on social media?
    Are you doubting they have been vaccinated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

As you know, it has been a lot slower here. We (in Ireland) are very hooked into the US/UK + their media who've been somewhat gloating about their wonderful vaccination programmes for months and castigating our relative "failures" in the EU. That's the surface headline of it anyway, putting aside all the details and wrinkles behind that which have been discussed over course of the thread.

So what's been achieved here won't tend to make joe public jump for joy due to an unfavourable + imo unfair comparison.

The media environment really does have an effect on such things imo, suppose that's why so much is still spent on owning and running newspapers, tv channels, radio stations etc and buying advertising everywhere.

I'm old enough to remember the Irish media gloating about how much better Ireland was doing than the UK.
    Until January when Ireland suddenly had the highest infection rate in the world.
    Comparisons went very quiet then ... ;)

If only we had been more like the UK. Another 4,000 people could now be dead

551874.JPG

I swear sometimes its a bit like a combination of the Daily Mail editorial room and Tory press office in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm old enough to remember the Irish media gloating about how much better Ireland was doing than the UK.
    Until January when Ireland suddenly had the highest infection rate in the world.

Ireland never had the highest infection rate in the world, there was an anomaly for about two days when the IT system was catching up on previously reported cases so we had an unrepresentative spike.

Our response to the pandemic has been vastly superior to the UK's throughout, with the one exception being the fallout of AZ reneging on their EU contract commitments, which unfortunately coincided with us being hit the Kent variant that the UK had nurtured into existence by acting as one of the world's biggest petri dishes throughout 2020.

Sure, they're back in the pubs a few weeks earlier than us, but I'm happier to know I'm not going to the pub to toast lost loved ones like so many millions in the UK have had to.

I don't remember gloating (from the media). Incredulity + maybe some fear about what was happening in the UK particularly with the way govt. there + Boris Johnson approached Covid in the early days last year.
    Gloating about death is kind of nasty.
    Gloating about a good job on vaccinations is more acceptable naturally.

quokula wrote: »
    Ireland never had the highest infection rate in the world, there was an anomaly for about two days when the IT system was catching up on previously reported cases so we had an unrepresentative spike.

Our response to the pandemic has been vastly superior to the UK's throughout, with the one exception being the fallout of AZ reneging on their EU contract commitments, which unfortunately coincided with us being hit the Kent variant that the UK had nurtured into existence by acting as one of the world's biggest petri dishes throughout 2020.

Sure, they're back in the pubs a few weeks earlier than us, but I'm happier to know I'm not going to the pub to toast lost loved ones like so many millions in the UK have had to.

If by response you mean “close everything down and pray” then I’d say Ireland was lucky more than anything else.

It is daft to compare countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Well if Ireland was more like the UK in terms of population density and being a global transport hub then the results would be different.
    There are many other countries with a higher population totals and density than Ireland which have lower fatality figures.
    It's why having a Covid Death League is about as useful as a European Super League.

There is more to it than that. I was in Northern Ireland last June. The difference was huge. There was more respect for social distancing measures south of the border. Masks were few and far between in the North yet everyone was wearing them in the South. If Britain was anything like NI, then this attitude didn’t help.

Well if Ireland was more like the UK in terms of population density and being a global transport hub then the results would be different.
    There are many other countries with a higher population totals and density than Ireland which have lower fatality figures.
    It's why having a Covid Death League is about as useful as a European Super League.

woops

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

If only we had been more like the UK. Another 4,000 people could now be dead

551874.JPG

I swear sometimes its a bit like a combination of the Daily Mail editorial room and Tory press office in here

Why not add the 12 European countries with a worse death rate / population to give it some context.

• Advertisement

Why not add the 12 European countries with a worse death rate / population to give it some context.

The comparison drawn by the poster was Ireland v uk Nigel

But you are happy to compare vaccination outcomes. Got it, full scale Tory style hypocrisy today.

Let's see.
    The UK issued its stay-at-home orders a day before Ireland

That's just a blatant lie, Ireland locked down well in advance of the UK, they were still talking about herd immunity at the time we were taking action (a strategy which ultimately created the Kent variant that they exported to us causing our last wave)
    , this country had exactly the same problems sourcing PPE as the UK,

Again, simply untrue, there were global shortages for everyone at the beginning of the pandemic but Ireland had nothing remotely close to the PPE issues the UK suffered for months. There are calls for inquiries as it's pretty much an open secret at this point that the UK government funnelled PPE money to companies owned by Tory donors with no ability to actually supply PPE, rather than procuring it properly like we did here.

It's amazing the desperation some people have to defend what anyone (including those in Britain) can see was an utter catastrophic handling of the pandemic, probably the second worst in the world outside of Brazil.

Ireland has unfortunately suffered disproportionately due to our border with Britain and the historic / political issues with closing it, but despite that we've handled things pretty well and kept our death rates way, way below the UK's, and mostly in line with European averages.

quokula wrote: »
    That's just a blatant lie, Ireland locked down well in advance of the UK, they were still talking about herd immunity at the time we were taking action (a strategy which ultimately created the Kent variant that they exported to us causing our last wave)

Again, simply untrue, there were global shortages for everyone at the beginning of the pandemic but Ireland had nothing remotely close to the PPE issues the UK suffered for months. There are calls for inquiries as it's pretty much an open secret at this point that the UK government funnelled PPE money to companies owned by Tory donors with no ability to actually supply PPE, rather than procuring it properly like we did here.

It's amazing the desperation some people have to defend what anyone (including those in Britain) can see was an utter catastrophic handling of the pandemic, probably the second worst in the world outside of Brazil.

Ireland has unfortunately suffered disproportionately due to our border with Britain and the historic / political issues with closing it, but despite that we've handled things pretty well and kept our death rates way, way below the UK's, and mostly in line with European averages.

Ireland also has the best fans in the world, so I hear.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Aegir wrote: »
    Ireland also has the best fans in the world, so I hear.:rolleyes:

Much better than the hooligans who do England proud every time they go away. They run home when the Russians come along though.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Much better than the hooligans who do England proud every time they go away. They run home when the Russians come along though.

0c1429f5b5be9fa82dd6109b18295238.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's off topic...and then there's this shìte :pac:

There's off topic...and then there's this shìte :pac:

And who took it off topic by bringing up Irish fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And who took it off topic by bringing up Irish fans?

I can see that sarcasm isnt your strong point so I'll explain.

He was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Guy who mocks and laughs at the famine on a vaccine thread. Calls Ireland a banana Republic, constantly complains about it yet chooses to continue living here as an immigrant, why? although you did escape a real banana monarchy with all the dodgy dealings going on over there and has started 10+ threads crying about being banned from various topics. I think that little gif sums you up perfectly.

Guy who mocks and laughs at the famine on a vaccine thread. Calls Ireland a banana Republic, constantly complains about it yet chooses to continue living here as an immigrant, why? although you did escape a real banana monarchy with all the dodgy dealings going on over there and has started 10+ threads crying about being banned from various topics. I think that little gif sums you up perfectly.

3783718.jpg

I can see that sarcasm isnt your strong point so I'll explain.

He was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

I can see pretty much nothing is your strong point.
    Given his previous statements of mocking and laughing about the famine on this thread, calling Ireland a banana Republic etc, constantly running the country down yet he chooses to move here from England and to continue living here, its just a constant theme of nonsense.

that's pretty bad taste to be honest

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3783718.jpg
    I can see pretty much nothing is your strong point.
    Given his previous statements of mocking and laughing about the famine on this thread, calling Ireland a banana Republic etc, constantly running the country down yet he chooses to move here from England and to continue living here, its just a constant theme of nonsense.
    Both of you are now banned from posting in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Either your memory is playing tricks on you or you have chosen to believe the Irish media's biased narrative. The planning and lockdown at the beginning of the outbreak was almost identical in the two countries.

Boris Johnson's attended his first emergency COBRA meeting on Monday March 2nd.

On the same day Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Health Minister Simon Harris established a special Cabinet committee to examine the full impact of the virus.

Boris Johnson announced the first full lock-down in the UK on Monday March 22nd in a televised address to the nation saying the public would not be allowed to leave their homes except for a few specific reasons

Leo Varadkar announced Ireland's first full lock-down on Wednesday March 24th in a televised address to the nation where he said the public would not be allowed to leave their homes except for a few specific reasons.

Look it up.

Ireland started closing everything on March 12th with a lockdown due to run until March 29th, on March 27th a full lockdown was announced. During this time the UK had already ploughed ahead with the Cheltenham races and were toying with going the herd immunity route before performing a volte face.

The UK never really recovered from that bad start and overtook the worst hit countries in cases and deaths, such as Italy and Spain, even though they had forewarning of what would happen.

I think the turning point was only when bojo himself got critically sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

:)

The State on Friday received its biggest shipment of AstraZeneca vaccines to date, with the delivery of 165,000 doses on Friday.

The doses against Covid-19 are expected to be used immediately in immunising those aged between 50 and 70, although the Health Service Executive is in the process of drawing up a revised overall vaccination plan.

However, Fine Gael published a guide to vaccination on social media on Friday that includes “key milestones” in the coming months albeit caveated as “subject to supply”.

According to its projection the vaccination of the over 70s will be “well-advanced” in May with the same assessment for the over-60s and “very high risk” groups having had a first dose in the same month.

It predicts that first dose vaccinations will be “underway” for 35 to 59 year olds in June and jabs for the “high risk” group will be “well advanced”.

July will see first dose vaccinations for 25-34 year olds underway in July, according to the party’s analysis.

It does not offer a prediction for when people aged 16 to 24 will be vaccinated.

Meanwhile, Mr Donnelly said the current rollout where over 60s are being vaccinated is going “very well” and the online portal for the over-50s opens next week.

Significant supplies of Johnson & Johnson are not expected to arrive in Ireland for some weeks.

On the possibility of people in their 40s being vaccinated at the same time as those in their 50s, Mr Donnelly said: “I want to stress, we’re running the numbers at the moments, we’ll be working on this through the weekend and we’ll be looking at various policy options early next week.”

Speaking on RTÉ Radio’s Today with Claire Byrne show insisted all four vaccines available are “incredibly effective”.

Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca have been linked to rare blood clots and are being administered to the over-50s because they are deemed to be at much less risk of developing such a side-effect.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar previously said that those who refuse an AstraZeneca vaccine would find themselves waiting until the end of the vaccine rollout to be inoculated while Minister Simon Coveney said there would be at the end of the queue.

So we're agreed then - the UK went into full lockdown before Ireland.

As mentioned above, Varadkar made his big speech from the US on the 12th of March.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0312/1121820-coronavirus/

You seem to be omitting things I remember like Cheltenham going ahead, all the schools being open in UK while they were shut here, Public transport running full tilt & offices open in London (when reduced capacity PT/work from home here) and of course the leader of the UK (Boris) flirting with outre "herd immunity via infection" ideas and casting doubt on seriousness of Covid-19 before he caught it himself and got quite ill.

It has been a long year though and I'm sure there's so so much we'd all rather shove down the memory hole now but we should not re-write history.

So we're agreed then - the UK went into full lockdown before Ireland.

Nope, Ireland went into lockdown first, did you not check the dates? We realised the danger and shut everything quickly on March 12th to contain the virus, our big mistake was allowing travel from the basket case UK over Christmas 2020 (along with sending them PPE expecting the UK to be a civilised neighbour and not hoard all their and EU vaccines by nationalising AstraZeneca).

Bojo was going full bore ignore until the cases, deaths and his own almost death forced a turnaround. He is a fully signed member of the incompetent at handling coronavirus club.

Once the vaccination glee wears off he'll be facing up to 70,000 excess deaths and friends and relatives blaming him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Weeks before being diagnosed with Covid-19, Johnson boasts about shaking hands with Covid-19 patients:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hindsight hindsight...the man ended up in ICU in April all down to his ill-advised behaviour in March.
    You'd think he'd behave more responsibly thereafter.
    How reckless for a prime minister to carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Either your memory is playing tricks on you or you have chosen to believe the Irish media's biased narrative. The planning and lockdown at the beginning of the outbreak was almost identical in the two countries.

Boris Johnson's attended his first emergency COBRA meeting on Monday March 2nd.

On the same day Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Health Minister Simon Harris established a special Cabinet committee to examine the full impact of the virus.

Boris Johnson announced the first full lock-down in the UK on Monday March 22nd in a televised address to the nation saying the public would not be allowed to leave their homes except for a few specific reasons

Leo Varadkar announced Ireland's first full lock-down on Wednesday March 24th in a televised address to the nation where he said the public would not be allowed to leave their homes except for a few specific reasons.

Look it up.

I still remember the debates that we could not compare Irish death rates to the UK at the start of the pandemic, because we were 2 weeks behind the UK in the pandemic timeline. So on which side of the argument would you have been in that debate?

Also, funny how comparisons are the rage when it comes to giving out vaccines, but not to death rates because rural population. Much like Johnson posters on here like to cherry pick and have their cake and eat it when it comes to what other can and cannot post about.

When talking about comparisons, I am happy that Germany and Italy seem to be ramping up nicely in their vaccine drive. Germany did more than 1m doses in one day the other day. Good news all round it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Interesting link detailing Spains astrazeneca vaccine rollout strategy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/spain-extend-gap-between-astrazeneca-doses-16-weeks-2021-04-30/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Interesting link detailing Spains astrazeneca vaccine rollout strategy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/spain-extend-gap-between-astrazeneca-doses-16-weeks-2021-04-30/
    We have 16 weeks too for people done with AZ before they started the over 60s, mostly HCWs and that ever-growing Group 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Weeks before being diagnosed with Covid-19, Johnson boasts about shaking hands with Covid-19 patients:

I think we all know a few people with such attitudes in our workplaces, extended circle of contacts, etc..

You would think they learn their lesson after catching and suffering from COVID, but I have come to realise that they just don't. I know one person who ended up in hospital but afterwards still couldn't care less about protecting others.

Enzokk wrote: »
    I still remember the debates that we could not compare Irish death rates to the UK at the start of the pandemic, because we were 2 weeks behind the UK in the pandemic timeline. So on which side of the argument would you have been in that debate?

Also, funny how comparisons are the rage when it comes to giving out vaccines, but not to death rates because rural population. Much like Johnson posters on here like to cherry pick and have their cake and eat it when it comes to what other can and cannot post about.

When talking about comparisons, I am happy that Germany and Italy seem to be ramping up nicely in their vaccine drive. Germany did more than 1m doses in one day the other day. Good news all round it seems.

It's just funny watching a poster literally try and rewrite history.

Reminds me of the delusional after the US election who would be claiming conspiracy from youtube videos of events that millions of people watched live.

There is huge effort these days on rewriting narratives after the fact, luckily the history books are written by the winners ;)
    Stay-at-home orders meaning people were not allowed to leave their homes for non-essential reasons were issued in the UK two days before Ireland.
    That is lockdown.

Ah right, so closing all schools public gatherings and telling people to work from home isn't "lockdown", good to know the definition.

How about this, Ireland took action that saved thousands of lives weeks before the UK did, this has led to the UK having at least 70,000 excess deaths due to incompetent governance throughout an epidemic and only partially redeemed itself by an effective vaccination program. This was despite the prime minister himself almost dying after shaking hands with patients who had a very infectious disease in an attempt by that prime minister to downplay the seriousness of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

astrofool wrote: »
    Nope, Ireland went into lockdown first, did you not check the dates? We realised the danger and shut everything quickly on March 12th to contain the virus, our big mistake was allowing travel from the basket case UK over Christmas 2020 (along with sending them PPE expecting the UK to be a civilised neighbour and not hoard all their and EU vaccines by nationalising AstraZeneca).

Bojo was going full bore ignore until the cases, deaths and his own almost death forced a turnaround. He is a fully signed member of the incompetent at handling coronavirus club.

Once the vaccination glee wears off he'll be facing up to 70,000 excess deaths and friends and relatives blaming him for it.

I genuinely think by the end of this there is only going to be a 10-20% difference in deaths in the large western European countries excluding Germany (which did a lot of things right).

Borris and the UK screwed up badly at times but the people that bash that don't bash Tony holohan and the minister for health attending a indoor gathering of 500 people from 50 different countries or the Spanish government encouraging mass marches for international women's Day.

Shouldn't this thread be about Astra Zeneca / Oxford not an excuse for posters to complain about the Tories and "da Brits"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I genuinely think by the end of this there is only going to be a 10-20% difference in deaths in the large western European countries excluding Germany (which did a lot of things right).

Borris and the UK screwed up badly at times but the people that bash that don't bash Tony holohan and the minister for health attending a indoor gathering of 500 people from 50 different countries or the Spanish government encouraging mass marches for international women's Day.

Shouldn't this thread be about Astra Zeneca / Oxford not an excuse for posters to complain about the Tories and "da Brits"

What was the indoor gathering the CMO & MOH attended?

On the thread, yeah it's wildly gone way off course.
    In some eyes, AZ can do no wrong because it's an effective and safe vaccine.
    That's never been the question, it's been about the absolute shoddy production quantities and deliveries. Playing the not for profit card doesn't absolve them either.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What was the indoor gathering the CMO & MOH attended?

https://globalgapa.org/index.php/2020/03/27/gapc-2020-in-dublin-ireland/

https://gript.ie/harris-gapc-covid-19/

Gript can put people off so included the video that's most relevant to this where he is questioned about why he is attending the event

https://youtu.be/dmZydRIKhxM?t=709

Rest of your post is pretty reasonable point.

Anyway my relevant to the thread question. I presume there is on going population study of impact of the Indian variant on Astra Zeneca effectiveness but it hasn't been reported yet?

Since these questions tend to bring out the people that hate astra zeneca due to other political reasons and will say "good thing we are using Pfizer unlike those granny killing Tories" I will quote the Israelis. Note the underlined part

"The impression is that the Pfizer vaccine has efficacy against it, albeit a reduced efficacy," the ministry's director-general, Hezi Levy, told Kan public radio

Gript can put people off so included the video that's most relevant to this where he is questioned about why he is attending the event

That's kind of clutching at straws - in hindsight we could of course have stopped all gatherings earlier but that was still the beginning of March, and no country on this side of the world had started taking such measures yet.

At that point in time Dublin Airport, like pretty much every airport on the planet, was acting at normal capacity which was about 100,000 passengers per day. The specific event in question, contrary to Gript's claim, was actually attended by 300 people. It is unclear how many were international travellers, but even if all 300 were, it was an utterly tiny number in the context of a world where absolutely everything was still open.

Wildly different to the UK government's continual failure to act for many weeks later, after facts had become much clearer and most other countries including Ireland had already begun to act decisively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Rest of your post is pretty reasonable point.

Anyway my relevant to the thread question. I presume there is on going population study of impact of the Indian variant on Astra Zeneca effectiveness but it hasn't been reported yet?

Since these questions tend to bring out the people that hate astra zeneca due to other political reasons and will say "good thing we are using Pfizer unlike those granny killing Tories" I will quote the Israelis. Note the underlined part

"The impression is that the Pfizer vaccine has efficacy against it, albeit a reduced efficacy," the ministry's director-general, Hezi Levy, told Kan public radio

Conference on Alcohol, no wonder the CMO wanted it going ahead, was certain rumblings he sees alcohol as a serious issue.

Anyways, as India are widespread using AZ, they will be able to gather data on infections in unvaccinated people vs vaccinated with AZ and they will be able to report it. Reduced Efficiency ≠ ineffective vaccine.
    All approved vaccines here have a crazy high efficiency rate, higher than people expected, it's not just mRNA that were high.
    AZ, Pfizer and Moderna real world data shows high efficiency, I'd expect J&J should follow the same trend.

https://theintercept.com/2021/05/01/covid-brazil-deaths-bolsonaro-investigation/

BRAZIL SEEKS TO HOLD BOLSONARO ACCOUNTABLE FOR MORE THAN 400,000 COVID-19 DEATHS

AVOID ACCOUNTABILITY, attract attention through outrage, win reelection. This has been the holy trinity of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s decadeslong career in politics.

——-

Replace Bolsonaro with Boris and 400000 with 130000 …

And what the hell does that have to do with Astra Zeneca

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

correct horse battery staple do not post in this thread again

Everyone else, back on topic please

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

So it's over 40's now in the UK. Not that unexpected news really particularly as dropping case numbers in the UK mean the risk reward calculation has changed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

So it's over 40's now in the UK. Not that unexpected news really particularly as dropping case numbers in the UK mean the risk reward calculation has changed.

Novavax approval imminent also. 20 million doses are made and ready to be deployed ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement