Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Novavax approval imminent also. 20 million doses are made and ready to be deployed ;)

Isn't that a similar type of vaccine to AZ and therefore likely to have the a clot risk issue?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Isn't that a similar type of vaccine to AZ and therefore likely to have the a clot risk issue?
    It's a protein based vaccine.

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrates-893-efficacy-uk-phase-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

odyssey06 wrote: »

The Novavax jab is a new kind of vaccine - instead of injecting the genetic material for the spike protein, this is the protein itself.

It combines an engineered protein from the virus that causes COVID-19 with a plant-based ingredient to help generate a stronger immune response. If the body encounters coronavirus in the future, the body is primed to fend it off.

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-do-the-pfizer-oxford-moderna-novavax-and-johnson-johnson-coronavirus-vaccines-compare-12202329

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Wolf359f wrote: »
    All approved vaccines here have a crazy high efficiency rate, higher than people expected, it's not just mRNA that were high.
    AZ, Pfizer and Moderna real world data shows high efficiency, I'd expect J&J should follow the same trend.

High efficiency rate? And how is that? By not testing any longer?

Same as Irish nursing homes, as soon as they got everyone vaccinated they stopped testing people for covid.

And then when they had an alleged covid case ( a positive nurse) they tested everyone and 8 out 10 was positive for Covid. So they decided to re test and bingo, now everyone was negative. And then Leo comes and says those things happen and false positives are common. Only when is convenient for them to say that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Xpro wrote: »
    High efficiency rate? And how is that? By not testing any longer?

Same as Irish nursing homes, as soon as they got everyone vaccinated they stopped testing people for covid.

And then when they had an alleged covid case ( a positive nurse) they tested everyone and 8 out 10 was positive for Covid. So they decided to re test and bingo, now everyone was negative. And then Leo comes and says those things happen and false positives are common. Only when is convenient for them to say that lol.

Look at all the international data relating to serious illness in vaccinated people. Not everything revolves around Ireland.

They are still doing serial testing in nursing homes.
    Last round started April 26th. 19 cases out of 17,550. Doesn't that not show you how effective vaccines are.
    I would be curious to know how many of the 19 cases were vaccinated and if there was more than 1 case per nursing home etc...

But yeah... Vaccines are not effective and we hide that information by not testing. Weirdest conspiracy theory I've heard yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What type of test were they using when those 19 positives appeared?

With a very low number of cases in the wild, if they were using the Lateral Flow Tests then will have been a good portion of them showing false positive. Have seen varying numbers of up to 50 false results per 10,000 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

A person in my nan's nursing home tested positive in the past month however that was because they were a new resident of the home and had just been released from hospital and had not been fully vaccinated as far as I'm aware. They were being kept in isolation for the two weeks and there was no spread to other residents. I'd say other positive cases in nursing homes may have come from a similar situation.

robinph wrote: »
    What type of test were they using when those 19 positives appeared?

With a very low number of cases in the wild, if they were using the Lateral Flow Tests then will have been a good portion of them showing false positive. Have seen varying numbers of up to 50 false results per 10,000 tests.
    In nursing homes it would be PCR but they are now planning to phase out that serial testing programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

is_that_so wrote: »
    In nursing homes it would be PCR but they are now planning to phase out that serial testing programme.

Half measures are why this whole thing got to the level it did. It's madness to stop testing so soon.
    Testing is far more useful when numbers are low, because it's feasible to isolate the small number of positives. That wasn't always possible at the height of the wave, there were just so many, and testing itself does nothing. It only allows you to identify who needs to be treated/isolated.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Half measures are why this whole thing got to the level it did. It's madness to stop testing so soon.
    Testing is far more useful when numbers are low, because it's feasible to isolate the small number of positives. That wasn't always possible at the height of the wave, there were just so many, and testing itself does nothing. It only allows you to identify who needs to be treated/isolated.

Deaths have been virtually been eliminated is the CMO quote and vaccinations have done their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Didn't think it was quite so soon, same for J&J when that contract finishes at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭tina1040

What's the latest on 2nd dose of Astrazenica? Have people who got the first dose 3 months ago been called back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

tina1040 wrote: »
    What's the latest on 2nd dose of Astrazenica? Have people who got the first dose 3 months ago been called back?

I got my first dose today and was told it will be 16 weeks until the second. It’s 12 weeks for the over sixties seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

trashcan wrote: »
    I got my first dose today and was told it will be 16 weeks until the second. It’s 12 weeks for the over sixties seemingly.

Yep, 12 weeks, can personally confirm that.

Rumor has it the UK is pulling in that date to 8 weeks to stem the Indian variant tide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Igotadose wrote: »

Rumor has it the UK is pulling in that date to 8 weeks to stem the Indian variant tide.

They released a statement that clinically vulnerable and those over 50 would be getting their 2nd jabs sooner... Only thing is the people in those groups have already had their 2nd jabs last week or are due it in the next two weeks anyway, mine is due in 8 days.

It was a pointless statement to make it sound like they are doing something in response, but without actually having to do anything. It would take longer to rearrange the appointments than to just wait another week and a bit and most of those groups will have had their second dose. I'm sure a couple of people will have been brought in sooner by their GPs, but most having booked via the main NHS vaccine website don't have any way to rebook or be contacted to get the appointment moved... I've checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They released a statement that clinically vulnerable and those over 50 would be getting their 2nd jabs sooner... Only thing is the people in those groups have already had their 2nd jabs last week or are due it in the next two weeks anyway, mine is due in 8 days.

It was a pointless statement to make it sound like they are doing something in response, but without actually having to do anything. It would take longer to rearrange the appointments than to just wait another week and a bit and most of those groups will have had their second dose. I'm sure a couple of people will have been brought in sooner by their GPs, but most having booked via the main NHS vaccine website don't have any way to rebook or be contacted to get the appointment moved... I've checked.

It's actually been a really good way to increase vaccine uptake, I wonder if we'll have a similar scare here in July/August to get the numbers up, or maybe I'm being cynical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Igotadose wrote: »

The only people I know who got AZ in Ireland, all told it's 12 weeks for dose 2. Including some frontline worked in their 30s. Only country I have heard about doing 16 weeks for AZ is the UK and it didn't seem to be a planned strategy, just something they pivoted to when the AZ supply slowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The only people I know who got AZ in Ireland, all told it's 12 weeks for dose 2. Including some frontline worked in their 30s. Only country I have heard about doing 16 weeks for AZ is the UK and it didn't seem to be a planned strategy, just something they pivoted to when the AZ supply slowed.

Well I was definitely told on Sunday that the second dose would be 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

trashcan wrote: »
    Well I was definitely told on Sunday that the second dose would be 16 weeks.

Guidance on the HSE website says 16 weeks for those under 60 with no underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Wompa1 wrote: »

Spain have also extended the AstraZeneca interval to 16 weeks for under 60s.

Spain have also extended the AstraZeneca interval to 16 weeks for under 60s.

Canada the same

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Malawi destroys 20K does that have expired. Fair enough but why let them expire or at least send them somewhere else in time.

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1394974870145019906

Now planned to be reduced to 12 weeks from May 24th.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gap-between-astrazeneca-doses-to-be-reduced-to-12-weeks-1.4570846

Also Reid has said

AstraZeneca "is not a choice vaccine" as it will be used for second doses so a strong signal that it will have little part to play down the line apart from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Malawi destroys 20K does that have expired. Fair enough but why let them expire or at least send them somewhere else in time.

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1394974870145019906

They received them too late to get them all used. Not their fault but the WHO's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Now planned to be reduced to 12 weeks from May 24th.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gap-between-astrazeneca-doses-to-be-reduced-to-12-weeks-1.4570846

Also Reid has said

AstraZeneca "is not a choice vaccine" as it will be used for second doses so a strong signal that it will have little part to play down the line apart from that.

Nothing in that article has what you’ve said above. Not saying it hasn’t been changed. The only thing Reid said is that the choice based model is a departure from what was originally done.

I do agree that AZ is dead though if people can choose, I can also see no more NIAC changes as well, unless they allow as other countries are doing, the second dose of AZ to be an mRNA version. All planning ahead will have to be mRNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Interest seems to have been lost in thread now that Covid-19 vaccine supply has improved across Europe, and boot can't really be put into the EU any more by Current affairs/IMHOs contingent of Euro-phobic cranks.

Some update on the legal action(s) taken by the EU - it appears to be seeking a high level of fines that could severly damage or destroy the company.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0526/1223998-eu-astrazeneca-action/
    Its legal team demanded an upfront fine of €10m plus "€10 per dose and per day of delay" in that event.

Also situation seem to have improved end of April/May as regards the AstraZeneca supply in the EU and its looking like company might be able to meet the lower target of 100m doses by 1st July (basing that on our total of 556k received up to 1st week in May and that being ~ 1% of EU total)

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c3693-update-on-covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-12-may-2021/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Copied from the main vaccine thread as it also relates to AZ

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/german-scientists-claim-to-have-solved-covid-vaccine-blood-clot-puzzle-1.4576752

Scientists in Germany claim to have cracked the cause of the rare blood clots linked to the Oxford/AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccines and believe the jabs could be tweaked to stop the reaction happening altogether.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder do they have to go through clinical trials/approval again if they tweak the spike protein RNA

• Advertisement

" AstraZeneca said it informed the commission in a detailed production plan that the UK manufacturing chain would firstly be dedicated to British supplies. " which was 100 mln doses.

https://www.centralfifetimes.com/news/national-news/19329809.eu-seeks-big-fine-astrazeneca-court-case/

I wonder if they have a copy of that ?

https://twitter.com/Peter___Ward/status/1397684742976327684

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Anyone that's had their first shot of AZ, do you know how/when you will be contacted with an appointment for your second dose?

Also, has anyone at this stage been offered to an alternative to AZ on their second appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ingalway

Moyglish wrote: »
    Anyone that's had their first shot of AZ, do you know how/when you will be contacted with an appointment for your second dose?

Also, has anyone at this stage been offered to an alternative to AZ on their second appointment?
    I got a text on Sunday from HSE with my second appointment. Had the jab today, AZ again, no alternative offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lisa Shaw trending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lisa Shaw trending.

Just for clarity

https://thrombosisuk.org/thrombosis-statistics.php
    Thrombosis Statistics

Every 37 seconds someone in the western world dies from a venous thromboembolism (VTE)

Improving risk assessment and prevention -
    1 in 4 people die from causes related to blood clots

Thrombosis
    Thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot, known as a thrombus, within a blood vessel. It prevents blood from flowing normally through the circulatory system.

Just for clarity

Yea you certainly clarified it, https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Lisa+Shaw&l=1

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

It was madness to give an AstraZeneca vaccine to Lisa Shaw.

The risks of a blood clot occurring in a 44 year-old woman after taking the AstraZeneca vaccine are far too high.

That's what Oxfords own risk calculator says, but Timberrrrrrrr has made an excellent point there proving without any shadow of a doubt it was just bad timing.

Someone does not die every 37 seconds from a CVST, which appears to be what happened to Lisa Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's what Oxfords own risk calculator says, but Timberrrrrrrr has made an excellent point there proving without any shadow of a doubt it was just bad timing.

Timberrrrrrrr is comparing different bloods clots which occur at different rates in the population. It may be easier to use the CDC term: thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) to avoid confusion with less fatal and more common 'everyday' clots seen in the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Interest seems to have been lost in thread now that Covid-19 vaccine supply has improved across Europe, and boot can't really be put into the EU any more by Current affairs/IMHOs contingent of Euro-phobic cranks.
    ]

Oh deary me.

We shall see what the court has to say about the whole fiasco. Decision expected within a month. Will there be even more blushes in store for the Commission?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Timberrrrrrrr is comparing different bloods clots which occur at different rates in the population. It may be easier to use the CDC term: thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) to avoid confusion with less fatal and more common 'everyday' clots seen in the general public.

Surely you can't be suggesting he's misinterpreted the data, Timberrrrrrrr is one of our best fact checkers, say it ain't so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My Son is 36 in emergency service is due his 2nd jab next week his first was Astra Zenica will he be getting a different vaccine for his 2nd

Storm 10 wrote: »
    He is in the fire service never had Covid

You don't know that and currently we can't test to prove it, FDA just approved a t-cell test but I'd say it'll be a while before it arrives here, I've mentioned Luke too many times today but from listening to him and reading between the lines if he had it previously he's immune system should have went into over drive after the first dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You don't know that and currently we can't test to prove it, FDA just approved a t-cell test but I'd say it'll be a while before it arrives here, I've mentioned Luke too many times today but from listening to him and reading between the lines if he had it previously he's immune system should have went into over drive after the first dose.

It seems wise to proceed as if he hasn’t previously had Covid, without any evidence to the contrary though, right?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It seems wise to proceed as if he hasn’t previously had Covid, without any evidence to the contrary though, right?

I'm not sure, antigen is active infection, PCR picks up previous 3mts but the t-cell test can go way back further we just don't have access to that type of testing yet.
    If there was any problem in having had a previous infection then 2 jabs it should have shown up in health care workers as they've had a lot of previous infections.
    As you said it seems to be wise to carry on regardless, no evidence to say anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

My Son is 36 in emergency service is due his 2nd jab next week his first was Astra Zenica will he be getting a different vaccine for his 2nd

No.

That is just rumour and people trying to make sense of random reactions. Plenty of people who never had covid who had reactions, or who did have covid but didn't have reactions or any other variations of the reactions.

That is just rumour and people trying to make sense of random reactions. Plenty of people who never had covid who had reactions, or who did have covid but didn't have reactions or any other variations of the reactions.

Sorry completely misread what you said, I'd 100% agree with you on that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No he wont be, he'll be getting AZ

Advertisement