Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

In the US, only FDA-approved vaccines will be accepted as proof of vaccination in order to be allowed to attend concerts and other events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/world/bruce-springsteen-broadway-vaccine.html

AstraZeneca will not be accepted as it is not FDA-approved.

Attendees under 16 are exempt but must show proof that they tested negative on a recent coronavirus test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anyone who got the second AZ dose can you let me know what symptoms you had, if any? My second dose is scheduled for next Friday, the day before I run in the National Athletics Championships. I'm worried if I take it I'll be flattened again the next day and will not be able to compete.

However I'm on that irritating Swiftqueue system with no option to text "new" to reschedule, until most others who are receiving a different text, so rescheduling is proving problematic, and my only option they told me is to not show up and I'll then be put back in the queue and get another date after.

It's beyond irritating. I should have had second dose end of May and they pushed it back 4 weeks due to this blood clot hysteria. Now they've pushed it forward to 12 and 8 weeks but my appointment has never been modified. The date really doesn't suit.

My first dose gave me awful symptoms of feeling jaded. What are people's experiences with second dose of AZ?

Got second AZ dose on Monday.

Only lasting effect was a heavy lead arm on Tuesday and had to sleep with a pillow under it. Tender around the needle point entry for the first day or so.

Other than that nothing. Been as normal since Wednesday.

The first one floored me just as a heads up. So based on me and most mates of my age (mid-30s) they've been almost exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anyone who got the second AZ dose can you let me know what symptoms you had, if any? My second dose is scheduled for next Friday, the day before I run in the National Athletics Championships. I'm worried if I take it I'll be flattened again the next day and will not be able to compete.

However I'm on that irritating Swiftqueue system with no option to text "new" to reschedule, until most others who are receiving a different text, so rescheduling is proving problematic, and my only option they told me is to not show up and I'll then be put back in the queue and get another date after.

It's beyond irritating. I should have had second dose end of May and they pushed it back 4 weeks due to this blood clot hysteria. Now they've pushed it forward to 12 and 8 weeks but my appointment has never been modified. The date really doesn't suit.

My first dose gave me awful symptoms of feeling jaded. What are people's experiences with second dose of AZ?
    I felt awful the first time (AZ as well), barely able to drag myself out of bed for the first day, and that was bookended by two nights where I woke up about 4 am with huge fever shakes (not as bad the second night TBF) and that was with taking paracetamol regularly, starting before the symptoms even started, which I'd been advised to do by the doctor who gave me the injection. All over the following morning though.

Second time around, I think I took one paracetamol just in case, but apart from a slightly sore arm, I'd pretty much forgotten I'd even had the jab by the next morning.

I know lots of other people who had two AZ jabs as well (this is in Northern Ireland where AZ was nearly the norm for a long time) and most people who had a reaction the first time had far less or no reaction second time around.

I know fewer people who got Pfizer but anecdotally it seems to be the other way around: more severe results tend to happen with the second dose.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

EU Loses Case Against AstraZeneca

AstraZeneca welcomes Court ruling on supply of its COVID-19 vaccine to EU:

AstraZeneca to-day welcomed the ruling by the Court of First Instance in Brussels. The European Commission had requested 120 million vaccine doses cumulatively by the end of June 2021, and a total of 300 million doses by the end of September 2021 The edge ordered delivery of 802 million closes by 27 September 2021 To date, the Company has supplied more than 70 million doses to the European Union and will substantially exceed 80 2 million doses by the end of June 2021 All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties.

The EU have treated AZ appallingly. Trashing their vaccine, abusing their powers by sending in the police to raid their offices (over a commercial dispute!) and finally trying to bully them through the courts.

If I were AZ I'd be looking to get out of dodge asap and only do business with individual member states in the future. You simply don't need customers this difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

[url] https://www.marketwatch.com/story/astrazeneca-says-eu-defeated-in-legal-bid-over-vaccine-supplies-2021-06-18?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo
    [/url]

Both are claiming victory.
    AstraZeneca AZN, -0.93% AZN, 0.08%, the British-Swedish pharmaceutical group and developer of the world's most used COVID-19 vaccine, had a positive outcome in a court case brought by the European Union over its contract to deliver vaccine to the bloc. The European Commission, the EU's executive body, had requested 120 million vaccine doses cumulatively by the end of June 2021, and a total of 300 million doses by the end of September 2021. AstraZeneca said the judge ordered delivery of 80.2 million doses by 27 September 2021. All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties.

Reading this is say AZ won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

loughside wrote: »
    EU Loses Case Against AstraZeneca

AstraZeneca welcomes Court ruling on supply of its COVID-19 vaccine to EU:

AstraZeneca to-day welcomed the ruling by the Court of First Instance in Brussels. The European Commission had requested 120 million vaccine doses cumulatively by the end of June 2021, and a total of 300 million doses by the end of September 2021 The edge ordered delivery of 802 million closes by 27 September 2021 To date, the Company has supplied more than 70 million doses to the European Union and will substantially exceed 80 2 million doses by the end of June 2021 All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties.

A sort of a win win but nobody altogether satisfied. As a supplier you really wouldn't recommend them to your worst enemy. TBH the sooner we're shot of them the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AZ don't seem too worried about the fines, should meet that amount of doses easily.

The UK-based pharmaceutical fell well short of fulfilling its contract to supply the EU in the first quarter, delivering only 30 million of the 120 million promised. But the court, while finding in favour of the European Commission’s demand for interim measures, ordered only that the company deliver 50 million more doses by the end of September. If the firm fails to do so it would pay a fine of €10 per dose not delivered.

https://www.thejournal.ie/astrazeneca-eu-court-dose-delivery-5470902-Jun2021/

The delivery schedule will be:
    15 million doses by 26 July, 20 million by 23 August, 15 million by 27 September.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Lyle wrote: »

Well the journalists are standing over it. Not retracting it, etc. I’ve even given it a few days and no change on their part. There is the likelihood that it came from frustration. Cavaleri’s statement reads like he was forced to correct himself. We see it all the time when footballers mess up, etc. So I’ll still say he said it, but again it might have been out of frustration and logistics.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    AZ don't seem too worried about the fines, should meet that amount of doses easily.

The UK-based pharmaceutical fell well short of fulfilling its contract to supply the EU in the first quarter, delivering only 30 million of the 120 million promised. But the court, while finding in favour of the European Commission’s demand for interim measures, ordered only that the company deliver 50 million more doses by the end of September. If the firm fails to do so it would pay a fine of €10 per dose not delivered.

https://www.thejournal.ie/astrazeneca-eu-court-dose-delivery-5470902-Jun2021/
    Why would they? There's a whole world out there waiting for their vaccine. It's paltry but symbolic of an EU win. It would also be the first time they've actually met a target!

• Advertisement

This is the part of the Courts determination that`s the key..
    " All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties.

In other words stand in the queue like everybody else and don`t act the Billy Bigbolloks again.

" All other measures sought by the European Commission have been dismissed, and in particular the Court found that the European Commission has no exclusivity or right of priority over all other contracting parties.

It's pretty much what those quoted in the media who were familiar with contract law and UK v Belgian contract law said would happen.

In other words stand in the queue like everybody else and don`t act the Billy Bigbolloks again.
    The other side of this is an untrustworthy company promising what they couldn't deliver and persistently not owning up to that fact. The HSE have absolutely no trust in them beyond repeating what the company claims about supply lines.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The other side of this is an untrustworthy company promising what they couldn't deliver and persistently not owning up to that fact. The HSE have absolutely no trust in them beyond repeating what the company claims about supply lines.

There's lots of companies out there who over-promise, whether it's vaccines, or ventilators, or masks, or syringes or laptops or whatever.
    Sure AZ have messed the EU about, over-promising either through genuine over-optimism or trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
    But the EU needs to have competence in dealing with such companies and in negotiating contracts that will stand up in court.

There's lots of companies out there who over-promise, whether it's vaccines, or ventilators, or masks, or syringes or laptops or whatever.
    Sure AZ have messed the EU about, over-promising either through genuine over-optimism or trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
    But the EU needs to have competence in dealing with such companies and in negotiating contracts that will stand up in court.
    Mostly BS from the shifty CEO of a company who had never made vaccines before. It should never have needed to get to court, none of the other suppliers ended up there and they were upfront with issues they were having. They have all delivered as per their contracts. It's unlikely we'll have a scenario like this again and there are other proven and more reliable solutions. Will be happy when we see the back of them.

astrofool wrote: »
    Interesting that you bolded the wrong bit :)

Effectiveness against hospitalization was 92%, I'm pretty sure the 60% figure you have there is for the efficacy but could be wrong (as I haven't seen updated efficacy figures) :)

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-effective-against-delta-indian-variant.html

Vaccine effectiveness measures how well a vaccine works at preventing symptomatic disease when given to people in the real work.
    Vaccine efficacy is the degree to which a vaccine prevents symptomatic disease under ideal and controlled circumstances in clinical trials.

Preventing hospitalisation is a another matter and, indeed, also an important measure.

According to the study of hospital admissions by Public Health England, the AstraZeneca vaccine is 71 per cent effective at preventing hospital admission after just one dose rising to 92 per cent after two doses.

In contrast, according to PHE, the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is 94 per cent effective at preventing hospital admission after one dose rising to 96 per cent after two doses.

Note that just one dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine (94%) is more effective at preventing hospital admission than two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine (92%).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vaccines-highly-effective-in-stopping-delta-variant-hospitalisations-1.4593267

Mostly BS from the shifty CEO of a company who had never made vaccines before. It's unlikely we'll have a scenario like this again and there are other proven and more reliable solutions. Will be happy when we see the back of them.

Until the next crisis and the EU needs something in a hurry or something in short supply.

And no other company has a shifty CEO?
    This speaks to the competence of the EU in contract negotiations if they thought what they had was a contract that gave them priority over other parties.

Until the next crisis and the EU needs something in a hurry or something in short supply.

And no other company has a shifty CEO?
    This speaks to the competence of the EU in contract negotiations if they thought what they had was a contract that gave them priority over other parties.
    Waving a contract about does not excuse AZ at all. It speaks to a very poor supplier and they are the only ones to end up in court. AZ have been poor all the way through this, right from the clinical trial and it is just as well there were other far more competent options. Without Pfizer and Moderna we'd still be doing the over 70s!

Waving a contract about does not excuse AZ at all. It speaks to a very poor supplier and they are the only ones to end up in court. AZ have been poor all the way through this, right from the clinical trial and it is just as well there were other far more competent options. Without Pfizer and Moderna we'd still be doing the over 70s!

I'm not talking just about vaccines here.
    I'm talking about the next contract.
    I think you're entirely missing the point.
    It's not about excusing AZ it's that the EU needs to be better at 'defending' itself against companies like that, because it waived a contract and made claims for the contract that contract law experts laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think it was a win for the EU in the court case.

Set deadlines for deliveries or €10 per dose fine.

UK sites have to be used for best efforts part of contract.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking just about vaccines here.
    I'm talking about the next contract.
    I think you're entirely missing the point.
    Why wasn't this an issue with any other company who signed contracts in good faith? We are now nearly seven months on from when this started and still no evidence of their best effort.

Vaccines are the point, they didn't or can't deliver. If you consider it praiseworthy that a so-called vaccine company resorted to legal cover for their ineptitude you don't get what annoyed the EU. They just want their/our vaccines.

Well we are now nearly seven months on from when this started and still no evidence of their best effort.

Vaccines are the point, they didn't deliver. If you consider it praiseworthy that a so-called vaccine company resorted to legal cover for their ineptitude you don't get what annoyed the EU. They just want their/our vaccines.

Contracts are the point.
    You'll have to highlight where I said it was praiseworthy, because it's nowhere in any of the posts I have made.

It's not about 'praiseworthy' or being 'annoyed', which is an emotional response.
    I don't have to 'get' what annoyed the EU because it's neither here nor there to getting the vaccines.
    It doesn't matter how annoyed the EU get. It matters what is written in the contracts and what will stand up in court.
    Anything else is just background noise and twitter feed.

Contracts are the point.
    You'll have to highlight where I said it was praiseworthy, because it's nowhere in any of the posts I have made.

It's not about 'praiseworthy' or being 'annoyed', which is an emotional response.
    I don't have to 'get' what annoyed the EU because it's neither here nor there to getting the vaccines.
    Well, you are suggesting that the contract trumps all other behaviour in this. Contracts supposedly lead to service, which has been chronically poor. And why was any of this not an issue with any of the other companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think it was a win for the EU in the court case.

Set deadlines for deliveries or €10 per dose fine.

UK sites have to be used for best efforts part of contract.

Not only that it's an interim funding. It point that the court has issues with the way AZ behaved. It is giving relief to the plaintiff before full case is heard. In any legal case this would be considered bad news to the defendant..

It has issued a finding require AZ to deliver 50 million doses or face a fine of 10 euro/ dose not delivered. It means AZ will have to deliver these doses. The longer term outlook is that AZ will have to compensate the EU for earlier contract failings

Given that the first quarter failing was 90 million even a judgement of 3-4 euro/ dose judgement would be 300-350 million compensation

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not only that it's an interim funding. It point that the court has issues with the way AZ behaved. It is giving relief to the plaintiff before full case is heard. In any legal case this would be considered bad news to the defendant..

It has issued a finding require AZ to deliver 50 million doses or face a fine of 10 euro/ dose not delivered. It means AZ will have to deliver these doses. The longer term outlook is that AZ will have to compensate the EU for earlier contract failings

Given that the first quarter failing was 90 million even a judgement of 3-4 euro/ dose judgement would be 300-350 million compensation

The 50m wa sin addition to the 30m already delivered when they made the claim. The newspapers reports that 70.2m have been delivered to date meaning that AZ has only to deliver 9.8m by September and no fine will arise. By all accounts, this is expected to be satisfied by early/mid July. It reflects badly on all the parties but particularly the EU. They should have engaged better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am sure Ursela will really be hurt by that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

I am sure Ursela will really be hurt by that...

She will be taking Cure Vac to court next

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/curevacs-covid-19-vaccine-misses-efficacy-goal-mass-trial-2021-06-16/

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Classic
    Boris is Boss I'm a Boris Tank Top. Bots won't be responded to. Professional Horseman. Gay and Proud. Border Collie lover and have 3 Elsie, Max and Goose.

Oh my!

Doubtful, the science failed here. At 47% it may have a hard time getting approval.

The German vaccine? I presume they mean the one with the best efficacy and most secure supply chains?

Good to see you back shilling for the brexiteer lobby brickster. Even when they display their rank ignorance for all to see

Nasty, jingoistic, misogynistic, moronic.

So do **** off, brickster69, you utter gob****e!

Laughing at a vaccine's lack of effectiveness because it's German is really stooping low.

Fond O`Lying is a vindictive hostile waste of space. Offloaded from German politics where she was several times a complete and utterly failure hated by many within her own party.
    Appointed in the tawdry agreement between Macron & Merckel and loaded on to the Brussels gravy train for failed European politicians where she is completely out of her depth. At least Juncker was an amiable old sod, she is just vile. Macron, Merkel & VDL have tried their hardest to destroy benevolent AstraZeneca out of spite and envy.

All credit to AstraZeneca for facing them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Fond O`Lying is a vindictive hostile waste of space. Offloaded from German politics where she was several times a complete and utterly failure hated by many within her own party.
    Appointed in the tawdry agreement between Macron & Merckel and loaded on to the Brussels gravy train for failed European politicians where she is completely out of her depth. At least Juncker was an amiable old sod, she is just vile. Macron, Merkel & VDL have tried their hardest to destroy benevolent AstraZeneca out of spite and envy.

I'm sorry, you're going to have to explain that.
    When EU and particularly non-EU countries paused AZ due to clotting issues, certain groups starting saying it was all political, blaming it on Brexit etc.... Despite the first country to pause it, was not even an EU country.
    I really don't follow the spite and envy comment.

This is especially pleasing since the German CureVac vaccine has just been proven, yesterday, to be only 47% effective, less than half that of AZ.

The EU have embarrassingly bought 400 million doses of it [Snigger!] :D

You just couldn`t make it up - the EU strikes again!

Pleased.. In a pandemic..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

This is especially pleasing since the German CureVac vaccine has just been proven, yesterday, to be only 47% effective, less than half that of AZ.

There is a difference between ordering and buying.
    They order 400 million on condition it's an effective vaccine and approved.
    It not being effective means it won't be approved, which means it won't be purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Pleased.. In a pandemic..

He's a desperate unionist troll who registered on an Irish forum to presumably extract some pleasure from trying to annoy some people down here. I'd pity him rather than respond to anything he posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because the EU and the US put massive funding in place for vaccine development we are now seeing the benefits of it. Yes there will be vaccines that fail, at present there is 5-6 successful vaccines.

When SARS hit in the early noughties it was bought under control by sanitation and isolation measures. However 2-3 companies developed vaccines that were not needed. They list hundreds of million of dollars. Pharma companies looked for development costs to be underwritten this time as once bitten twice shy

Slava Ukrainii

That auld cesspit the house of Lords where half its members snore live on camera is where I'd send Astrazenica
    AstraZeneca lost the Belgium court battle
    They will now be charged €10 for every dose they don't deliver on time
    That will soften their cough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The UK also ordered 50 million doses of Curevac.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

AstraZeneca lost the Belgium court battle
    They will now be charged €10 for every dose they don't deliver on time
    That will soften their cough

They just need to come up with a further 10 million doses by the end of September to meet the order, think they will manage that.

robinph wrote: »
    They just need to come up with a further 10 million doses by the end of September to meet the order, think they will manage that.

They will now
    Cough softened,by the court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Could try an alternative pain killer such as ibuprofen But that depends on where you live. For example, why is there no ibuprofen in the jungle? Because the paracetamol.

True enough though I've heard that two aspirins in your hand are worth one in the birch. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was wondering when we’d start hearing of this

https://flip.it/bQKcKp

AZ isn’t an approved in the US and when travel to the US recommences I’ve wondered what it will mean for people in the EU who got the AZ vaccine. While I don’t think they’ll be barred from travelling, given vaccine discrimination is permitted in the US, we may seem more of these restrictions in the major cities.

Not all vaccines are created equally I guess

The most effective vaccine with the most secure supply, Pfizer BioNtech. The German company, BioNtech partnered with Pfizer because they had the technical and logistical capabilities required. Oxford on the other hand partnered with Astra Zeneca, a company with no history of vaccine production, because Britain First

Will only be temporary. By the time people can freely travel the world again nobody will care what version of a vaccine you have had, least of all any individual venues setting brand requirements. You'll get asked at immigration potentially, but doubt that would be more than just if you have been vaccinated to whatever standard your home country asks for.

The most effective vaccine with the most secure supply, Pfizer BioNtech. The German company, BioNtech partnered with Pfizer because they had the technical and logistical capabilities required. Oxford on the other hand partnered with Astra Zeneca, a company with no history of vaccine production, because Britain First

Who should they have partnered with, with no risk of falling foul of eg US export bans, who were interested at the time.

The largest vaccine companies all failed with their own vaccines.

Jansen have had plant issues.
    Moderna quantites very small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement