Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Furze99 wrote: »
    Seems increasingly obvious that the recommendations coming from NIAC are not based on so called scientific advice. How can the AZ vaccine be unsuitable a couple of months ago for those under 60 and now suddenly when spare capacity shows up, suddenly it is suitable for this 18-40 age group???

Clearly what they've been at, is managing vaccine supplies and allocating them in a way that would preclude any element of public choice as to what vaccine to take as much as possible. When they perceived a while back they had c 800,000 doses of AZ and a population of c 400K in their 60s - they decided to allocate AZ to this cohort and used the rare clotting issue to justify this. Now when it seems they will have spare AZ capacity, suddenly those difficulties for younger people start to evaporate.

Bottom line is, you can't believe a word out of the public health systems mouth in these regards. They are just manipulating the population, perhaps for the benefit of all, but still manipulating.

I don't agree that it was done deliberately to change who gets what vaccine but I do think the modelling and risk assessments were likely to have been based on non real world parameters.
    Basically that the risk from Covid doesn't justify the risk of death/brain damage for under X age due to low presence of Covid in the population.

This was only occuring because Ireland was in a strict lockdown at the time.
    Basically their model only worked if the country stayed under hard lockdown until what September/October. It shows the level of control they thought they had on government policy and their agenda when they thought Ireland would continue a hard lockdown when Ireland already has had restrictions that are globally unique in their length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Clearly what they've been at, is managing vaccine supplies

This is the one part of your postings that may be correct I think.

"They" are trying to get as much of population vaccinated against Covid-19 as rapidly as possible but were and are limited by supply. It's a disturbing concept in this era of plenty.

There isn't enough vaccine to actually do the job immediately, let alone enough to give everyone their choice of "flavours" + what they fancy as is the usual situation for us consumer/citizens of the rich Western democracies.

Also not enough yet for this country to just give everyone Pfizer-Biontech (and perhaps Moderna) vaccines and forget about the others without slowing things down.

Can guarantee if govt. decided to just forget about AZ and the J+J vaccines completely they would be hammered for that too imo (just by different people than yourself presumably) and would have been even more criticised if they'd decided to do that back in March or April say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

Seems increasingly obvious that the recommendations coming from NIAC are not based on so called scientific advice. How can the AZ vaccine be unsuitable a couple of months ago for those under 60 and now suddenly when spare capacity shows up, suddenly it is suitable for this 18-40 age group???

Clearly what they've been at, is managing vaccine supplies and allocating them in a way that would preclude any element of public choice as to what vaccine to take as much as possible. When they perceived a while back they had c 800,000 doses of AZ and a population of c 400K in their 60s - they decided to allocate AZ to this cohort and used the rare clotting issue to justify this. Now when it seems they will have spare AZ capacity, suddenly those difficulties for younger people start to evaporate.

Bottom line is, you can't believe a word out of the public health systems mouth in these regards. They are just manipulating the population, perhaps for the benefit of all, but still manipulating.

All that political bollox is coming home to roost now.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

10 million doses in storage in Germany. Now they are saying Az is ok for all ages and trying to encourage young people to take it. But they won't.... wonder why ?

https://twitter.com/OlafGersemann/status/1409519566288572426

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

fly_agaric wrote: »
    "They" are trying to get as much of population vaccinated against Covid-19 as rapidly as possible but were and are limited by supply. It's a disturbing concept in this era of plenty.

There isn't enough vaccine to actually do the job immediately, let alone enough to give everyone their choice of "flavours" + what they fancy as is the usual situation for us consumer/citizens of the rich Western democracies.

The limited 'blood clot' issues with AZ were well understood a few months ago. The 16-12-8-4 week (take your pick, they keep changing their mind) gap between AZ vaccines was well understood. The proposed supplies of various vaccines was understood. The numbers in the various age cohorts were well known. The implications of all these were predictable then.

But instead of being honest with the population, NIAC and the government came up with this speel that AZ wouldn't be used on over 70s and couldn't be used for 'safety reasons' on under 60s. That was their justification to assign this as a general vaccine to those in their 60s. This turns out to be complete bullsh*t - they could easily have used AZ on younger age cohorts. And of course, did for other groups as in healthcare workers.

The bottom line is that this undermines public confidence - it can be seen that the health authorities are making it up to suit and justify their plans. I don't know about you but I don't like to be taken for a patsy. You can't trust public health information anymore, if you ever could.

But instead of being honest with the population, NIAC and the government came up with this speel that AZ wouldn't be used on over 70s and couldn't be used for 'safety reasons' on under 60s.

Don't mean to correct you but NIAC actually agreed with the EMA that it was ok for all ages and recommended that. The politicians and PHE went against it for some mysterious reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

The limited 'blood clot' issues with AZ were well understood a few months ago. The 16-12-8-4 week (take your pick, they keep changing their mind) gap between AZ vaccines was well understood. The proposed supplies of various vaccines was understood. The numbers in the various age cohorts were well known. The implications of all these were predictable then.

But instead of being honest with the population, NIAC and the government came up with this speel that AZ wouldn't be used on over 70s and couldn't be used for 'safety reasons' on under 60s. That was their justification to assign this as a general vaccine to those in their 60s. This turns out to be complete bullsh*t - they could easily have used AZ on younger age cohorts. And of course, did for other groups as in healthcare workers.

The bottom line is that this undermines public confidence - it can be seen that the health authorities are making it up to suit and justify their plans. I don't know about you but I don't like to be taken for a patsy. You can't trust public health information anymore, if you ever could.

There are solid reasons why the recommendations could change, and we've seen it happen in many countries.

First of all you have the risk of the vaccine having serious side effects - this varies by demographic and is something that we learn about more as more results are studied all over the world.

Then you have the risk of having serious side effects due to the disease. This varies based on your chance of first of all catching the disease, which varies based on lockdown rules that are imposed, what your job is, how many other people are vaccinated, what variants have appeared. It also varies based on your age and any other conditions you may have which affect the chances of having a serious impact if you do.

You have to weight those against each other (also taking efficacy into account), and you also have to factor in time and other vaccine availability - maybe having a higher risk is acceptable if another safer vaccine is available in a few weeks, but is not acceptable if another vaccine is not available for a longer time period.

You also need to factor in the herd immunity contribution of the vaccination - maybe for one person the risk of AZ is similar to the risk of COV-19, but over thousands of people it will ultimately save lives because unlike the virus it is not contagious.

All of these variables are constantly changing as lockdown rules change, more people get vaccinated, availability of other vaccines change, new variants like the delta variant appear, and more data becomes available.

It's not a simple case of "AZ was no good then but it is good now" - many many factors need to be considered, though I suspect the overriding one is the arrival of the delta variant which weighs the risk factor of Covid more heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Those side effects were first identifed in March I believe.
    It wasn't well understood a few months ago. I had a google there, and Norway for example which I think was first country to raise the issue and suspend use of AZ made a final decision about what they would do (not use AZ at all) in the middle of last month.
    On supply, I don't know how you can say that was a known variable, even now (though it is clearer).
    It's changed so much over the past 3 months. Only thing there that was "known" at the start is, as you say, how many people must be vaccinated.

You are rewriting history and claiming people are "lying"/"making it up to suit". These things (e.g. the debate about what dose interval is best to use for Astrazeneca) may appear in the media and get highlighted as live issues but that doesn't mean they are understood sufficiently, even by scientists and doctors + regulators to be sure of making the correct decisions, let alone by our politicians.

I do agree with you it is not good for public confidence, but unfortunately if they are being open/honest, it is more likely that advice and directions from NIAC or the govt. will chop and change IMO as the situation develops and more information and evidence becomes available.

As per post above, the balance of risks (as regards administering vaccines incl. dosing intervals) is itself subject to change depending on what is happening to the spread of the disease and mutations of the virus. It is not all as clear and well understood as you make out IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Boris and Tories is not Brits

Criticising politician who famously said “let the bodies pile up” is not a criticism of 60 odd million people half of whom hate this lot at top

The Brits gave him a majority. He has been endorsed by them. It's like when people say the Russians or the Americans. Only in this case, the fellas incompetence was on show and the people doubled down and gave the boob a majority. It is sadly a representation of the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The Brits gave him a majority. He has been endorsed by them. It's like when people say the Russians or the Americans. Only in this case, the fellas incompetence was on show and the people doubled down and gave the boob a majority. It is sadly a representation of the electorate.

He didn't get a majority of votes. Also, Johnson appeared a lot more acceptable when the alternative was Corbyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Rubbish - gives us the figures and prove that mathematically. As you say the risk was 'infinitesimally small' before and now. The only changing factor is the supplies of various vaccines available to the state.

So they have misled the public to suit the distribution of a vaccination programme. If they were honest from the start and laid that out, it'd be one thing. But they didn't and thus have undermined confidence in any thinking person.

The sheep will always believe in what they are fed.

Risk of a very serious side effect of 1 in 100,000 or even 1 in 200,000 - is not infenitesimally small. In the <40 years group it could be even higher, and indeed was in both Norway and Germany.

As I said, if you plan administering 1 billion+ doses, the EU as a whole, why would you not prefer a different available vaccine without this risk? You are talking about 5-10k preventable adverse events, with % of fatalities. Why would you accept that if there's an option to avoid it?

And the likely better efficacy against variants is just a bonus.

If there were no other vaccines available then I agree that the benefits outweigh the risk. But with mRNA supply available, it's very questionable and unacceptable in my opinion.

McGiver wrote: »
    Risk of a very serious side effect of 1 in 100,000 or even 1 in 200,000 - is not infenitesimally small. In the <40 years group it could be even higher, and indeed was in both Norway and Germany.

As I said, if you plan administering 1 billion+ doses, the EU as a whole, why would you not prefer a different available vaccine without this risk? You are talking about 5-10k preventable adverse events, with % of fatalities. Why would you accept that if there's an option to avoid it?

And the likely better efficacy against variants is just a bonus.

If there were no other vaccines available then I agree that the benefits outweigh the risk. But with mRNA supply available, it's very questionable and unacceptable in my opinion.

Largely agree but I was questioning another poster who was defending the states vaccination policy and allocation of certain vaccines to certain age cohorts. I think it was a poor and divisive idea from the start to apply varying types of vaccine to different parts of the general population. When it suited them, the state originally argued that AZ was only suitable for the general population in their 60s. And justified the use of mrna type vaccines for all younger cohorts. Now when it suits them, they've decided AZ is safe for those 18-40. This doesn't stack up, it's manipulating and misleading the public at large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I’m 35 and got my 1st AZ dose 16+ weeks ago. I’ve rung HSE Live 3 times and explained I’m not comfortable receiving a 2nd dose of AZ (reports of blood clots only emerged after I got my first dose), yet I keep being offered AZ. I did ask them to stop offering me appointments, yet they keep coming. I understand the HSE’s stance is if you had one AZ, you should take a second. But a chance of death for 1 in 250,000 for people in their 30s doesn’t sit well with me. I’m really careful taking precautions outside of my household. I can’t get over the latest recommendations for over 18s to be given AZ.

Are there many others like me who have refused a 2nd dose? I’m happy to continue to put my social life on hold until I’m offered an alternative vaccine. Hard to tell what the future will bring…. It’s really stressing me out!

Does anyone have a link to the latest AZ clot stats for Ireland? I read in this thread that the Irish Independent reported less than 5 AZ related clots and no deaths on 29/05/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I’m 35 and got my 1st AZ dose 16+ weeks ago. I’ve rung HSE Live 3 times and explained I’m not comfortable receiving a 2nd dose of AZ (reports of blood clots only emerged after I got my first dose), yet I keep being offered AZ. I did ask them to stop offering me appointments, yet they keep coming. I understand the HSE’s stance is if you had one AZ, you should take a second. But a chance of death for 1 in 250,000 for people in their 30s doesn’t sit well with me. I’m really careful taking precautions outside of my household. I can’t get over the latest recommendations for over 18s to be given AZ.

Are there many others like me who have refused a 2nd dose? I’m happy to continue to put my social life on hold until I’m offered an alternative vaccine. Hard to tell what the future will bring…. It’s really stressing me out!

Does anyone have a link to the latest AZ clot stats for Ireland? I read in this thread that the Irish Independent reported less than 5 AZ related clots and no deaths on 29/05/21.
    The incidence rate after the second jab for 18-49 year olds is 0.8 per million, with a fatality rate in 30-39 year olds of ~22%, so that would be a 1 in 5.68 million chance of death?

Good data here for the UK stats: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could be waiting a while, really until excess Pfizer and Moderna stock is available, you'll keep being offered AZ as there is no alternative to give you after one dose of AZ (mixed dosing regimes aren't approved and are still going through studies, from a safety perspective they look worse as you've got a risk of two sets of side effects, effectiveness against COVID may be slightly better than a non-mixed dose strategy).

I don't believe there has been any fatal blood clot incidents in Ireland and the diagnosis and treatment for the very few people who do have this reaction is improving all the time (which is another part of the reduced risk equation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

1/250000 scares you

Risk of dying from

Motor vehicle 1/107
    Pedestrian 1/543
    Choking on food 1/2,535
    Sunstroke 1/8,248
    Dog attack 1/8,6781
    Lightning 1/138,849

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

I think you'll be OK:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

astrofool wrote: »
    You could be waiting a while, really until excess Pfizer and Moderna stock is available, you'll keep being offered AZ as there is no alternative to give you after one dose of AZ (mixed dosing regimes aren't approved and are still going through studies, from a safety perspective they look worse as you've got a risk of two sets of side effects, effectiveness against COVID may be slightly better than a non-mixed dose strategy).

I don't believe there has been any fatal blood clot incidents in Ireland and the diagnosis and treatment for the very few people who do have this reaction is improving all the time (which is another part of the reduced risk equation).

Yes I think the death and serious injury rate from complications due to the vaccine was higher at the start, before people know what to look out for.
    But in any case the risk is very low compared to the catching the virus, for all but the very youngest and healthiest.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

1/250000 scares you

Risk of dying from

Motor vehicle 1/107
    Pedestrian 1/543
    Choking on food 1/2,535
    Sunstroke 1/8,248
    Dog attack 1/8,6781
    Lightning 1/138,849

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

The risk isn't really comparable as those are over your lifetime while AZ vaccine risk is just a point in time.if I go on a drive it isn't a 1/107 chance of death while the 1/250000 with AZ is.

The risk of blood clot after second dose is 0.6 out of a million per latest from UK.

Prof Butler quoted this statistic a few weeks back.

Death risk after second dose is around 1 in 8 to 10 million.

I got my second dose recently and have zero concerns re: blood clots.

My main concern is that it protects me from covid.

Your thoughts appear totally irrational.

I have zero sympathy for you dilema other than what seems like mental health issues given the low risks that Professor Butler has spoken about.

Worrying about events of millions to one comes across to me as either self indulgent or genuine mental health problems.

Many millions of people would love to be in your position.

If I was your friend Id say the following:

You've done the hard part and taken the first dose which is multiple times more risky.

Why are you so special that you think your going to a get blood clot out of an occurence of 0.6 in a million?

Do you think when you are playing the lottery that you are definitely going to win?

You probably take bigger risks every day.

Risk of covid is far riskier to you currently with one dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I was told by my consultant not to take my second jab as it affected my existing medical condition when I took the first one. So I just keep postponing it.

fin12 wrote: »
    I was told by my consultant not to take my second jab as it affected my existing medical condition when I took the first one. So I just keep postponing it.

Fair enough.

Common sense.

Taking on board medical advice.

Motor vehicle 1/107 Pedestrian 1/543 Choking on food 1/2,535 Sunstroke 1/8,248 Dog attack 1/8,6781 Lightning 1/138,849

Nonsense. These are cumulative life time incidences.

You take the Covid vaccine once or twice.

Wolf359f wrote:
    The incidence rate after the second jab for 18-49 year olds is 0.8 per million, with a fatality rate in 30-39 year olds of ~22%, so that would be a 1 in 5.68 million chance of death?

I don't trust current HMG figures, especially in relation to this very much politicised vaccine. It's been used by the Johnsonist regime as a propaganda tool to show "benefits of Brexit" (of course a lie and nonsense).

EMA estimates the CVST incidence at 1 in 200,000.

McGiver wrote: »
    I don't trust current HMG figures, especially in relation to this very much politicised vaccine. It's been used by the Johnsonist regime as a propaganda tool to show "benefits of Brexit" (of course a lie and nonsense).

EMA estimates the CVST incidence at 1 in 200,000.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the 2nd dose rate by the EMA, would you have a link, I'm curious what breakdowns they have for age/sex etc...

For two weeks after my first AZ dose some of my fingers often (though not all the time) felt like they were tingling / numb. I’ve never experienced this before. I saw online that at least one other person experienced this after the AZ vaccine, however it’s not listed as a side effect. My GP wasn’t concerned. I reported it to the HPRA . It’s part of the reason I’m hesitant to get a 2nd dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I got my first injection towards the end of April I am going back for my second on the 4th July. About a month ago I began to experience a soreness in my muscle where i got injected. also i have pins and needles in my fingers these symptoms come and go during the day all very strange.

I got my first injection towards the end of April I am going back for my second on the 4th July. About a month ago I began to experience a soreness in my muscle where i got injected. also i have pins and needles in my fingers these symptoms come and go during the day all very strange.

I got my second last week.

first in mid april.

I have pains in both upper arms all the time ever since first dose.

Sore when I touch them or rotate arms.

Pain irritation 1 out of 10.

Just strange.

Why would the arm that wasnt injected at all be still sore.

Worse after 2nd jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

1/250000 scares you

Risk of dying from

Motor vehicle 1/107
    Pedestrian 1/543
    Choking on food 1/2,535
    Sunstroke 1/8,248
    Dog attack 1/8,6781
    Lightning 1/138,849

What kind of dodgy stats comparison is happening here :pac:

These are lifetime odds. They have no relevance towards a single jab shot.

Woody79 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Common sense.

Taking on board medical advice.

But therein lies a significant issue - doctors differ and patients die etc. There are multiple views out there on these matters from experts in their various fields. As regards mixing vaccines, this is deemed safe in other countries. One suspects that the reason we are dragging our feet on it is not to do with safety reviews, but a blunt HSE policy as to how they will allocate vaccines.

I got my second last week.

first in mid april.

I have pains in both upper arms all the time ever since first dose.

Sore when I touch them or rotate arms.

Pain irritation 1 out of 10.

Just strange.

Why would the arm that wasnt injected at all be still sore.

Worse after 2nd jab.

First AZ in early May - awaiting second AZ or alternative. No particular symptoms like that, just felt illish for a day or so after the first dose. What you report doesn't sound great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

First AZ in early May - awaiting second AZ or alternative. No particular symptoms like that, just felt illish for a day or so after the first dose. What you report doesn't sound great.

I was bad for 12 hours with dose one of Astra Zeneca, dose two and had zero symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Close friend has refused the second jab and awaiting a letter from her consultant to recommend she get an alternative. MVC told them if they get a letter they’ll get a mRNA.

Our must vulnerable should not be lamped with a second class vaccine.

Close friend has refused the second jab and awaiting a letter from her consultant to recommend she get an alternative. MVC told them if they get a letter they’ll get a mRNA.

Our must vulnerable should not be lamped with a second class vaccine.

Why would you class AZ as a second class vaccine????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol my postman said hes 30 and getting de filth as he calls az.
    he wants sputnik as putin would not harm his fighting men lol

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

I have fielded calls from multiple people who have had extreme reactions to first dose AZ and under no circumstances will they take second dose of AZ. whilst the incidence of CVST and other clotting disorders is of the order of 1/200,000 i would suspect significant reactions and exaggerated immune response are many times higher.
    Other european countries are mixing and matching vaccines and we will here at some point. The volte face on the AZ vaccine has to be explained to the youth and that it is not ideal but a pragmatic response to emergence of this new variant. Very conflicting advice coming from NIAC at times.

topdecko wrote: »
    I have fielded calls from multiple people who have had extreme reactions to first dose AZ and under no circumstances will they take second dose of AZ. whilst the incidence of CVST and other clotting disorders is of the order of 1/200,000 i would suspect significant reactions and exaggerated immune response are many times higher.
    Other european countries are mixing and matching vaccines and we will here at some point. The volte face on the AZ vaccine has to be explained to the youth and that it is not ideal but a pragmatic response to emergence of this new variant. Very conflicting advice coming from NIAC at times.

Very mixed messages alright, let's hope for all sakes that this rigid policy of 'no choice' doesn't come back to haunt the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

But therein lies a significant issue - doctors differ and patients die etc. There are multiple views out there on these matters from experts in their various fields. As regards mixing vaccines, this is deemed safe in other countries. One suspects that the reason we are dragging our feet on it is not to do with safety reviews, but a blunt HSE policy as to how they will allocate vaccines.

It’s very simple they have loads of AstraZeneca and want to put it into anyone they can , if u nearly died after taking the first jab they are still now offering u the 2nd dose. They don’t give a ****. That happened to a woman up the country .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was as sick as a small hospital after both jabs.
    I inject immunosuppressing medicine fortnightly so I don't know if that made a difference.

topdecko wrote: »

Probably had covid before...

They should be happy.

Up to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 395 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Thirty four of the 395 reports have been reported after a second dose.

Of the 395 reports, 206 occurred in women, and 186 occurred in men aged from 18 to 93 years.

The overall case fatality rate was 18% with 70 deaths, five of which occurred after the second dose.
    The estimated number of first doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca administered in the UK by 23 June was 24.5 million and the estimated number of second doses was 20.7 million.

The overall incidence after first or unknown doses was 14.7 per million doses.
    The overall incidence after second doses was 1.6 per million doses.
    there is a significantly lower incidence after the second dose compared to the first, and there is overall no indication of an increased risk of these events after the second dose in any age group. Anyone who did not have these side effects should come forward for their second dose when invited.
    On the basis of this ongoing review, the advice remains that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks in the majority of people.

For balance: one blood clot related death was reported to be linked to Pfizer
    Up to 23 June 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 12 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following use of the COVID-19 Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. These events occurred in 5 women, and 7 men aged from 31 to 91 years, and the overall case fatality rate was 8% with one death reported.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

• Advertisement

There is now an Indian variant (ha) of this vaccine and it’s not approved for Eu green pass which will cause confusion for 5million uk people potentially

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

Great news, even more money going into the UK hospitality sector this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Great news, even more money going into the UK hospitality sector this year.

Also looks like India is ready to hit back by insisting EU green vaccine card holders still have to quarantine.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Also looks like India is ready to hit back by insisting EU green vaccine card holders still have to quarantine.

Couldn't make it up. Like headless chicken. Next thing you know there will be another bailout needed

Not encountering as many drunk, loud and rude British tourists does sound like great news

Why do you think they are drunk, loud and rude. Because they have given so much money to the bar owners and hoteliers :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is now an Indian variant (ha) of this vaccine and it’s not approved for Eu green pass which will cause confusion for 5million uk people potentially

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

How is that even a story? They will apply for the vaccine to be on the list and it will be approved and everybody will move on (afaik SII is already on the approved manufacturer list for EU vaccines).

Though it's still bad that their vaccine "success" was partially built on sneaking vaccines from part of their old empire while India itself went without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not encountering as many drunk, loud and rude British tourists does sound like great
    I thought it was lack of education and a society built on not respecting others
    Telegraph trying to spin it as big bad EU not recognising a vaccine variant which was not even submitted for approval. The usual “they out to punish us” nonsense.

IMHO it’s an example of how bugger thy neighbour Brexit/Trumpian far right politics which now is how UK rolls is causing problems and not helping towards resolving issues caused by Covid. And yet another chapter in this particular vaccine’s saga.

Jaysus that's a massive chip you have on your shoulders.

Jaysus that's a massive chip you have on your shoulders.

Weird isn't it. The only thing that would make him smile is if he saw hundreds of dying brits every day on the news.

Are you talking about Boris “let the bodies pile up” Johnson again?

Not good that one, that but let's keep it on the subject to hand. How about

Wasting 3 months on haggling contracts with AZ
    Only committing to purchase as long as it was approved
    8% effective
    Quassi effective
    No good for over 65's
    Only good for under 65's
    Armed forces raiding factories because the Brits are stealing them
    No good for under 40's
    Good for under 40's
    Millions of doses sat in fridges because populations hesitant

And now they wonder why they have not double jabbed enough as Delta appears, they only started talks last June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Most reasonable people know this vaccine will save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.

You'd swear people are being injected with poison and not life saving vaccine.

Do pzfier have to apologise for myocarditis with teenagers ending up in ICU or asprin for upset stomach or bleeding on the brain?

Very immature and childish post.

+1

And that is being nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Exactly the same vaccine, just the Indian factory hasn't been approved by the EU yet. Nothing at all to suggest there is any difference between the product that's been put in people's arms.

Advertisement