Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Finally some clear and readable graphs in these briefings

541758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

polesheep wrote: »
    A simple "It's too early to say." would be a better response than being negative.
    Well, he's already worn that one into the ground! This is barely February, with small numbers vaccinated so shutting down expectations of summer makes sense now. My guess is that he doesn't want people thinking they can book Santa Ponsa in July! That might be very different in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I find it very ironic that a Journalist, live from Miseian Plaza, is asking a table full of NPHET members and a room full of other journalists and camera people if government shouldn't be showing an example and doing their meetings via zoom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Arghus wrote: »
    We'll see.

I know what you mean by the way - it's hard to stay motivated with no definitive plan or date.

But, I think, at the moment there's just far too much unknowns right now to be making guarantees that have no certainty of being met, in my opinion.

So why say things such as staying in our locality?

Stheno wrote: »
    Be better if they said they can't say now or don't know at this time tbh
    No, he can't do that! That's a signal for George Lee to ask a three part question!

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, he's already worn that one into the ground! This is barely February, with small number vaccinated so shutting down expectations of summer makes sense now. My guess is that he doesn't want people thinking they can book Santa Ponsa in July! That might be very different in 4 weeks.

It really doesn't. You can bring people along with you without crushing their spirit. As I've said before, the communications throughout has been awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I find it very ironic that a Journalist, live from Miseian Plaza, is asking a table full of NPHET members and a room full of other journalists and camera people if government shouldn't be showing an example and doing their meetings via zoom.

Its quite possible the only way journalists can participate is in person

Like any dictator Tony can't seem to accept he only has a few months left in power

Spot on.

Holohan and Co. almost enjoy the pandemic getting worse, rather than better.

That's not to say they wish or hope it to get worse but, when it does get worse, they positively enjoy the experience of being at the center of national attention and position of power and influence.

And they'll miss that, there's no doubt about it.

There are already subtle signs of it in Holohan's words tonight. He cannot bring himself to utter a positive word about the end of the pandemic.

NPHET have become drunk on power - and statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess saying worst case means can give better news in future rather than the other way around.

You've seen a journalist in Ireland in 2021? What a rare find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Its quite possible the only way journalists can participate is in person

In the UK all the journalists ask their questions via video link.
    If NPHET want to set an example they could perhaps set up a similar system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Finally some clear and readable graphs in these briefings

541758.jpg

Ah the auld national ECG. Looks tickety-boo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The vaccinated will be leaving us here on our own.

Just vax and go.

All the healthcare workers and over 65s will be gone

Eod100 wrote: »
    Guess saying worst case means can give better news in future rather than the other way around.

I disagree. I don't think it would be right to give people false hope, but there is no reason to crush their hopes either. It's a definite case of the less said the better.

In principle, yes.

But given so many questions from these journalists are high-school level, or worse, would it be even worth the effort?

:pac:

Each week I'm left utterly thunderstruck at the poor quality of questions leveled against NPHET.

It really doesn't. You can bring people along with you without crushing their spirit. As I've said before, the communications throughout has been awful.
    Yeah it's been ropey at times but by leaving no room for interpretation too early to say doesn't become it'll be grand in July in the minds of people. My view of the summer is it will be "what can I do here?". We may be freer to move around but other countries may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

marno21 wrote: »
    541757.JPG

Seems more like the curve of exponential decay + testing of close contacts now. No reason for any sort of concern at all imo.

It could be, Nolan expressed concern, but he wasn't being 100% committed.

I think he expressed concerns because if - if - there's some merit to it, you are as well off to bring this to people's attention before it becomes problematic. To be pre-emptive is crucial.

If you are wrong to be concerned and say something about that concern and it turns out to be a false alarm, then that's not a bad outcome on the whole.

Especially if even just voicing that concern might have a slight enough difference on people's behaviour to avoid more legitimate concern.

But if you are right to be concerned and say nothing, then that source of your concern could potentially get worse and you'll be left wondering why you didn't say it when the chance was there.

It’s a balancing act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Spot on.

Holohan and Co. almost enjoy the pandemic getting worse, rather than better.

That's not to say they wish or hope it to get worse but, when it does get worse, they positively enjoy the experience of being at the center of national attention and position of power and influence.

And they'll miss that, there's no doubt about it.

There are already subtle signs of it in Holohan's words tonight. He cannot bring himself to utter a positive word about the end of the pandemic.

NPHET have become drunk on power - and statistics.

I've been skeptical of NPHET since July.

When the first vaccine positive news came about a few days after the US election, and Fauci and all the rest were acting like it was an early Christmas, Holohan was shieting on with words like cautious, guarded, etc.

It was then I knew they are addicted to it.

Did Holohan ever once concede socially distanced pubs should open?

Y'know, even back in July, when the Spanish and the Italians were opening nightclubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

1436 in hospital as at 2 pm. That's down from 1529 this morning. Lots of discharges on a Monday, as usual. If last Monday is anything to go by, we should drop below 1400 this evening.

The hospital numbers are dropping at a faster rate than we could reasonably have hoped for. ICU numbers still very high though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

With a 70% chance of a mini beast from the east arriving from Sunday for 4 days at least it would be interesting to see how very heavy snowfall (30-40% chance for the eastern half of the country) would have in further lowering Covid positivity rates...

Nothing definite yet but something to watch. All the main meteorological models are now latching on to easterlies and possible snowfall. Still 6 days away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I understood that as a reference to a likely outcome at this moment in time, not a guarantee - he didn't say literally say that was 100% going to happen.

I understood that as a reference to a likely outcome at this moment in time, not a guarantee - he didn't say literally say that was 100% going to happen.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1356307188873113600?s=19

This is what he said

Its seems completely over the top to me. No nuance whatsoever

Yes, but likewise he doesn't have to guarantee anything positive. They really should be keeping things as neutral as possible. In fact, is there any need at all for their TV show every evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yes, but likewise he doesn't have to guarantee anything positive. They really should be keeping things as neutral as possible. In fact, is there any need at all for their TV show every evening?

Briefings have only been twice a week for months now. Think since June.

This is what he said

He's also speaking for all of Europe. Has he had a promotion?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Briefings have only been twice a week for months now. Think since June.

Thanks. Have never watched one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

eigrod wrote: »
    Disappointed with Prof Nolan’s approach tonight. Just over 24 hours ago he was saying this:

https://twitter.com/president_mu/status/1355863200353427457?s=21

Yet this evening he’s coming across as disheartened and distracted by the apparent plateauing of the 5 day average.

I think he and his colleagues used that press briefing to make sure no complacency creeps into the publics mindset.

The 5 day average today is 1289 compared to 1343 yesterday.

Last Monday the 5-day average was 1928.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This is what he said

What kind of nuance would like to see?

"We shouldn't be travelling but there is nothing stopping you?"

That worked out real well at Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.