Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Stheno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1356307188873113600?s=19

This is what he said

Its seems completely over the top to me. No nuance whatsoever

To be fair, and believe me, I am not one for being unduly fair on Tony, what he's saying is pretty much what a lot of other leaders of countries are saying. IIRC, Australia and New Zealand are keeping travel restrictions in place for the rest of the year. I don't think people should bank on international non essential travel this year. Its far more likely that staycations are the best you can hope for this summer.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Briefings have only been twice a week for months now. Think since June.

Still think it’s too much. Personally I don’t think any of these guys should be in front of an audience on their own. Briefings should be led by a minister, who would defer to the medical representative only in specific circumstances. I think the UK approach to pressers is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

polesheep wrote: »
    Yes, but likewise he doesn't have to guarantee anything positive . They really should be keeping things as neutral as possible. In fact, is there any need at all for their TV show every evening?

I presume you mean negative.

I don't find them to be particularly negative to be honest. Today wasn't as wholly positive as they've been lately, but as of late, Nolan's been pretty upbeat.

I find them to be neutral enough really. They'll always have to foreground and reiterate public health advice and tell people to exercise caution. But it's not like they don't credit the public for it's efforts or draw attention to positive underlying trends when they are there.

I think they are a good source of information from the public health experts at the forefront of the efforts to fight the virus.

I'd rather hear it from them than politicans, social media or not hear it at all - I think the briefings, for better or worse, are the best sources of information you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Still think it’s too much. Personally I don’t think any of these guys should be in front of an audience on their own. Briefings should be led by a minister, who would defer to the medical representative only in specific circumstances. I think the UK approach to pressers is much better

Yes, one minister., 1 (max 2) NPHET members and all the journalists asking their questions in via video link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sanjuro wrote: »
    To be fair, and believe me, I am not one for being unduly fair on Tony, what he's saying is pretty much what a lot of other leaders of countries are saying. IIRC, Australia and New Zealand are keeping travel restrictions in place for the rest of the year. I don't think people should bank on international non essential travel this year. Its far more likely that staycations are the best you can hope for this summer.

Australia and New Zealand are quite clearly exceptions. I am not aware of any European leader ruling out travel in the summer.

BTW when did Dr Holohan become leader of the country?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Have never watched one.

So you basically have no first hand knowledge of what you are complaining about.

This is what he said

Yes?

That’s not a guarantee - which was my point?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sanjuro wrote: »

It's the "localities" that got me tbh

They really need to think before they speak sometimes

I've no plans for any holidays anywhere at the moment, but to be implying that in 4/5 months time people may still be restricted to their "locality" is downheartening

Arghus wrote: »
    I presume you mean negative.

I don't find them to be particularly negative to be honest. Today wasn't as wholly positive as they've been lately, but as of late, Nolan's been pretty upbeat.

I find them to be neutral enough really. They'll always have to foreground and reiterate public health advice and tell people to exercise caution. But it's not like they don't credit the public for it's efforts or draw attention to positive underlying trends when they are there.

I think they are a good source of information from the public health experts at the forefront of the efforts to fight the virus.

I'd rather hear it from them than politicans, social media or not hear it at all - I think the briefings, for better or worse, are the best sources of information you'll find.

No, I meant positive. He doesn't have to be anything other than neutral on those kind of questions. Most of which seem to be silly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is what he said

What "nuance" would make you more comfortable? Pretending the virus will have gone away so people can have a meaningful summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think he and his colleagues used that press briefing to make sure no complacency creeps into the publics mindset.

The 5 day average today is 1289 compared to 1343 yesterday.

Last Monday the 5-day average was 1928.

They have a chat beforehand. Captain Tony reinforces the tactics. Keep your concentration. Keep it negative lads...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes?

That’s not a guarantee - which was my point?

Yes. And my point was that sending out such a negative message four months in advance of summer is not the way to get people on board.

He could have framed it far better by saying it depended on how much progress we make, or simply said it's too early to say

So you basically have no first hand knowledge of what you are complaining about.

Think about that post for a minute.

I'm discussing what was said at the press conference as posted on here. I don't have to have watched a press conference to have the opinion that there's no need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would think if it means more supply for rest of EU, EU wouldn't mind. Whether government would be willing to politically is another issue.

Why would our government throw away the opportunity to end the lockdown earlier than scheduled?

Even Boris Johnson managed to frame the message about holiday planning with a bit more cop on
    Mr Johnson, speaking during a visit to Batley, West Yorkshire, said: "I don't want to give too much concrete by way of dates for our summer holidays. I am optimistic - I understand the reasons for being optimistic - but some things have got to go right.

"The vaccine programme has got to continue to be successful.

"We have got to make sure we don't get thrown off course by new variants, we have got to make sure that we continue to keep the disease under control and the level of infections come down."

He added that once he gives more details in the last week of February "people should certainly be able to plan on that basis".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55890224

Australia and New Zealand are quite clearly exceptions. I am not aware of any European leader ruling out travel in the summer.

BTW when did Dr Holohan become leader of the country?

The fact is that public health is not in his hands; it's not an objective question where there is only one correct answer.

Instead, it comes down to political will and what level of infection/hospital admissions the public is willing to accept.

Once the over-50s have been vaccinated, public and political appetite for relaxing restrictions will grow - and as Holohan admits on many occasions - all he can do is offer public health advice, a one-sided perspective, but it is up to the politicians to determine policy.

The public appetite and pressure will fall on Martin so hard that he will bow to that pressure. Yes, there will be some hospitalizations and deaths, but that is the level of infection society is willing to accept in order to live freely - the same attitude we apply to every other kind of infection.

So what Holohan says is neither here nor there.

Ultimately, it'll be a political decision - and politics will kick-in large once the over-50s have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Even Boris Johnson managed to frame the message about holiday planning with a bit more cop on

I was remarking earlier that some of the messaging from the U.K. was cautiously hopeful. No need to promise but people need hope.

Think about that post for a minute.

I'm discussing what was said at the press conference as posted on here. I don't have to have watched a press conference to have the opinion that there's no need for them.

That’s your opinion, you're entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I've no plans for any holidays anywhere at the moment, but to be implying that in 4/5 months time people may still be restricted to their "locality" is downheartening

Well, yeah, that term is confusing all right. Localities could mean anything from your street to your country. Maybe I'm just giving credit where its not due.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is what he said

I can't see the need for nuance here to be honest. People need to be made aware that this summer isn't going to be a "normal" summer regardless of how much progress we make. International travel will likely be discouraged until the end of the year

The only feasible pathway for any sort of resumption is bubbling between countries and Europe is too far away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is what he said

It's setting expectations. Restrictions everywhere wont just lift overnight. Even countries that will be covered 70% will still have to manage inbound travel to control passengers from other less vaccinated countries.

Anyone who thinks it'll be summer holidays in the Costa del Sol as normal this year, needs a dose of cop on.

Anyone who's planning a "normal" foreign holiday this side of September, needs their head checked. You might get away, but it'll be different, it'll be restricted. Numbers on flights, numbers in hotels, numbers at attractions. All restricted.

Local holidays will be considerably easier and less restricted.

seamus wrote: »
    It's setting expectations. Restrictions everywhere wont just lift overnight. Even countries that will be covered 70% will still have to manage inbound travel to control passengers from other less vaccinated countries.

Anyone who thinks it'll be summer holidays in the Costa del Sol as normal this year, needs a dose of cop on.

Anyone who's planning a "normal" foreign holiday this side of September, needs their head checked. You might get away, but it'll be different, it'll be restricted. Numbers on flights, numbers in hotels, numbers at attractions. All restricted.

I certainly don't expect to be going on holidays this year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

Agree, given summer is a full 4 months away, and vaccinations are on going. I don't get why he is implying we'll be in tighter restrictions than last summer.

To be fair, Boris Johnson is a politican with a reputation of avoiding saying and doing things that will displease people and making promises that can't be delivered and it's this kind of, at times, sunny obliviousness and, at other times, outright delusion from the top that's played some part in the complete mess the UK government have made to the crisis.

I don't fail to totally understand what you mean - some people might regard the way he, Tony H, said what he said as a bit tactless, but, for me, he was just calling a spade a spade and I don't have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Will get slated for his but I agree with him about holidaying in Ireland this year.

Why go to all of the effort to get cases down and almost eliminate the virus in Ireland, only for everyone to start travelling all over the world again & increase the chance of importing it again.

Give it a year, make sure it's gone everywhere & then get on with things after that.

I usually go abroad 3-4 times a year. Didn't last year & won't this year.

The "I want a good Christmas bridage" are now the "I want a foreign holiday bridage".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ultimately, it'll be a political decision - and politics will kick-in large once the over-50s have been vaccinated.
    It will be at least mid-summer for the over 55s at this rate so it will have little to no effect on the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

At what point do people getting up at 6am to work hard for a 40-50 hour week just to come home on Friday, to stay home all weekend, to repeat week after week, eventually get demotivated beyond the point of seeing the benefit in actually working?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will get started for his but I agree with him about holidaying in Ireland this year.

Why go to all of the effort to get cases down and almost eliminate the virus in Ireland, only for everyone to start travelling all over the world again & increase the chance of importing it again.

Give it a year, make sure it's gone everywhere & then get on with things after that.

I usually go abroad 3-4 times a year. Didn't last year & won't this year.

The "I want a good Christmas bridage" are now the "I want a foreign holiday bridage".
    No, they are just louder about "I want an end to this". All of us have the same desire but some can wait a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

seamus wrote: »

Its summery in the Costa del Sol at the moment, at least until Friday when next storms landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If by "locality" he means the country of Ireland then I have no problem with it. But "locatality" to me suggest more like my own county. That I do have problems with. Lots of problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement