Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭jackboy

At what point do people getting up at 6am to work hard for a 40-50 hour week just to come home on Friday, to stay home all weekend, to repeat week after week, eventually get demotivated beyond the point of seeing the benefit in actually working?

From what we have seen in the last year, never. They will keep going as long as they are told. Just like those who have never complied to the rules never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

At what point do people getting up at 6am to work hard for a 40-50 hour week just to come home on Friday, to stay home all weekend, to repeat week after week, eventually get demotivated beyond the point of seeing the benefit in actually working?

I was speaking to a friend of mine this evening. Really hardworking guy but he said he is just so down, finding it really tough and the constant negativity is killing him mentally. He said he cracked and shouted at the kids for nothing really, noticed that he is drinking more and more. This is a guy who would have gone out maybe twice a month had a few over dinner and that was really it outside of parties or social occasions. It got me thinking, how many have reached the point of compassion fatigue? We know its bad but its just we cannot take anymore. I will put my hand up and say I think I reached this last year but its worse. But the constant cycle of doom and gloom and look at what you are all doing by trying to be human beings I really feel like I no longer care and all the sad stories and videos just make me switch off, literally switch off as in turn off the radio, tv etc. I know its probably not thing to say but my lack of compassion is falling lower and lower with each passing day.
    For anyone interested there is this link here which explains it in a bit better detail but the self care strategies are sadly not allowed under level 5 (This is published from a HCW POV but I came across while looking up something else)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

If by "locality" he means the country of Ireland then I have no problem with it. But "locatality" to me suggest more like my own county. That I do have problems with. Lots of problems.

Yeah that makes a big difference

Tony is usually very good at choosing the way to word things so 'localities' was deliberate

Easier to say own countries

No intercounty travel in the summer is unthinkable as that would mean 6 months+ of not seeing friends, family partners in other counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

seamus wrote: »
    It's setting expectations. Restrictions everywhere wont just lift overnight. Even countries that will be covered 70% will still have to manage inbound travel to control passengers from other less vaccinated countries.

Anyone who thinks it'll be summer holidays in the Costa del Sol as normal this year, needs a dose of cop on.

Anyone who's planning a "normal" foreign holiday this side of September, needs their head checked. You might get away, but it'll be different, it'll be restricted. Numbers on flights, numbers in hotels, numbers at attractions. All restricted.

Local holidays will be considerably easier and less restricted.

But yet people were able to go on foreign holidays last year without vaccinations. The truth is it's too early for anyone to say that there won't be continental holidays this year and reporters should stop asking questions that can't really be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I was speaking to a friend of mine this evening. Really hardworking guy but he said he is just so down, finding it really tough and the constant negativity is killing him mentally. He said he cracked and shouted at the kids for nothing really, noticed that he is drinking more and more. This is a guy who would have gone out maybe twice a month had a few over dinner and that was really it outside of parties or social occasions. It got me thinking, how many have reached the point of compassion fatigue? We know its bad but its just we cannot take anymore. I will put my hand up and say I think I reached this last year but its worse. But the constant cycle of doom and gloom and look at what you are all doing by trying to be human beings I really feel like I no longer care and all the sad stories and videos just make me switch off, literally switch off as in turn off the radio, tv etc. I know its probably not thing to say but my lack of compassion is falling lower and lower with each passing day.
    For anyone interested there is this link here which explains it in a bit better detail but the self care strategies are sadly not allowed under level 5 (This is published from a HCW POV but I came across while looking up something else)

That’s an interesting link.

I’ve been wondering for a while, surely people become desensitised to this stuff as a basic survival mechanism. If not, Covid will eventually depopulate the world if only by people not actually meeting new people.

Is there any human behavioural experts that can explain why there is such a difference in opinion without referring to one group as granny killers.

But back to the original point of the benefit of work, people in stressful jobs with lots of responsibilities will surely start to question the worth of the job itself. Perhaps a large mortgage and bills is benefit enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Tony is usually very good at choosing the way to word things so 'localities' was deliberate

No intercounty travel in the summer is unthinkable as that would mean 6 months+ of not seeing friends, family partners in other counties

He chose the exact word carefully alright.

I think it means: the whole of Ireland, hopefully, but we don't have time machines and can't predict the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Will get slated for his but I agree with him about holidaying in Ireland this year.

Why go to all of the effort to get cases down and almost eliminate the virus in Ireland, only for everyone to start travelling all over the world again & increase the chance of importing it again.

Give it a year, make sure it's gone everywhere & then get on with things after that.

I usually go abroad 3-4 times a year. Didn't last year & won't this year.

The "I want a good Christmas bridage" are now the "I want a foreign holiday bridage".

We're not the only nation rolling out vaccines. Europe will be open for tourism business at some point this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,501 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The negativity is getting way to much, Dr Tonys and his NPHET gang are getting to big for there own boots and have way to too much power and influence. MM and Leo are scared of them and after last years spat are just obeying to them

I'm beyond frustrated that were heading into another summer of restrictions with more lockdowns on the way for the Autumn/Winter. Are other European leaders this negative and refuse to give its people a little bit of hope

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The negativity is getting way to much, Dr Tonys and his NPHET gang are getting to big for there own boots and have way to too much power and influence. MM and Leo are scared of them and after last years spat are just obeying to them

I'm beyond frustrated that were heading into another summer of restrictions with more lockdowns on the way for the Autumn/Winter. Are other European leaders this negative and refuse to give its people a little bit of hope

Not at all.

In fact, there are some European countries that have had a semi-lockdown only; with restaurants allowed to stay open - even operating as bars - for the entire winter.

The politics isn't even consumed by it either. It's more of an occasional inconvenience at times. Many smaller countries do not have anywhere near the level of constant restrictions that NPHET have pulled - and they have comparable death rates, too.

And lest we forget, most of Europe had a pretty decent summer! Only Ireland and a few others were focussed on infection numbers and hard lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

polesheep wrote: »
    But yet people were able to go on foreign holidays last year without vaccinations. The truth is it's too early for anyone to say that there won't be continental holidays this year and reporters should stop asking questions that can't really be answered.

Exactly, and not only that, in truth, it really doesn't matter what Holohan, O'Leary etc. say - if Europe is open for travel, so will we. If not then we needn't worry as we won't be able to go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭JRant

seamus wrote: »
    It's setting expectations. Restrictions everywhere wont just lift overnight. Even countries that will be covered 70% will still have to manage inbound travel to control passengers from other less vaccinated countries.

Anyone who thinks it'll be summer holidays in the Costa del Sol as normal this year, needs a dose of cop on.

Anyone who's planning a "normal" foreign holiday this side of September, needs their head checked. You might get away, but it'll be different, it'll be restricted. Numbers on flights, numbers in hotels, numbers at attractions. All restricted.

Local holidays will be considerably easier and less restricted.

You'd want to have your head examined to book a holiday here this year. The way restrictions are dropped on us at the drop of a hat means you could be left paying for a trip that you wouldn't be able to go on.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭StevenToast

PTH2009 wrote: »

If you are looking to meehole and leaky leo to give you hope...then i am sorry, you will be hopeless...

Heres the reality....no one knows exactly when this will all end....but it will....end.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Heres the reality....no one knows exactly when this will all end....but it will....end.

Nothing lasts forever.

But a point will come where what’s happening is counter productive.

Nobody know’s when, it may already have become counter productive, it may not have yet, but it will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why we'd have more restrictions this summer than last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why we'd have more restrictions this summer than last.

It’s nonsense (at least within the EU). Maybe some restrictions into the EU for awhile yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭fits

Totally get this.

On the other hand I’m currently out of work and can’t see an end to it. Full time parenting now and it’s relentless and I’ve no time to job search and what’s the point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Bollox to that- if people accept that I’d be very surprised. I for one am not going without seeing parents who live in a different county all summer!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm hoping it's a bit of under promise and over deliver at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just thinking, I wonder was Hoolahan trying to have the last word after O'Leary's attack on him earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EU will be open by June/July, especially with the extra Pfizer vaccines announced today.

Unless Ireland decided to be the most conservative country in europe for the summer and stay shut, which is unlikely as the UK will be open and so will Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

prunudo wrote: »
    Just thinking, I wonder was Hoolahan trying to have the last word after O'Leary's attack on him earlier.

Perhaps but he needs to be careful as otherwise the state may well be on the hook.

prunudo wrote: »

He was forced into the corner by half a dozen journalists who, rather than extract relevant detail about COVID-19, were looking for sensationalist headlines of Holohan vs O'Leary.

At least Holohan didn't take the bait.

And whilst we're on the subject of journalists, am I the only one who withers in horror upon hearing the words, "My name is X, from TheJournal.ie".

Journalists!? TheJournal.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

One thing Covid 19 has exposed is how much of a failure Europe, and the European Union has become. We have been let down and betrayed by leaders who have ruined our collective lives for what is going to soon be years, plural.

Attempts to defend this are sad. Australia and New Zelaand are islands, they say, what about China and Singapore? Wheres the excuse there? The truth is with one strategy or another other countries have succeeded in defending their populations from the virus, and have commited to allowing life to continue.

We elected miserable people who have dully delivered misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Bollox to that- if people accept that I’d be very surprised. I for one am not going without seeing parents who live in a different county all summer!

If we have accepted everything so far, we will accept everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The_Brood wrote: »
    One thing Covid 19 has exposed is how much of a failure Europe, and the European Union has become. We have been let down and betrayed by leaders who have ruined our collective lives for what is going to soon be years, plural.

Attempts to defend this are sad. Australia and New Zelaand are islands, they say, what about China and Singapore? Wheres the excuse there? The truth is with one strategy or another other countries have succeeded in defending their populations from the virus, and have commited to allowing life to continue.

So it's your fault for electing them, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm 100% certain that there'll be intercounty travel again in the summer. To even suggest otherwise is utterly ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Pdoghue wrote: »
    But how does this explain why Asian countries have dealt better with the virus compared to Western 'looser' states?

People will be more inclined to obey orders when living under a military junta government. Also, stats coming from these kinds of states are not something I would believe unquestionably.

The_Brood wrote: »

I loved and worked in Singapore for 2 years early in my career. And I would rather be in Europe. Are you sure you want to live in a society like Singapore? You should be careful what you wish for

It’s the things that are great about Europe that have made the pandemic so hard to handle. And I would not want to give them up

EU will be open by June/July, especially with the extra Pfizer vaccines announced today.

Unless Ireland decided to be the most conservative country in europe for the summer and stay shut, which is unlikely as the UK will be open and so will Europe.

Let’s not forget, it was the most conservative country in Europe last Summer.

Is it going to be more adventurous this Summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Some benefits of vaccines in Israel may be seen already

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1356313705684869121

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement