Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

2nd Wave peak was October 21st. Seven day average in cases back then

21/10/20: 1176. (7.1% positivity in testing)
    28/10/20: 866. (5.6%)
    4/11/20: 591. (4.6%)
    11/11/20: 410 (3.6%)
    18/11/20: 416. (3.8%)
    25/11/20: 310. (2.7%)
    2/12/20: 275. (2.7%)

Right now the 7 day average is 1244 and a 6.6% in the 7 day positivity in testing.

What do we reckon the seven day average will be by March 1st if the same decline repeats itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

01-02-2021-p1.jpg
    01-02-2021-p2.jpg
    01-02-2021-p3.jpg
    01-02-2021-p4.jpg
    01-02-2021-p5.jpg
    01-02-2021-p6.jpg
    01-02-2021-p7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

JoChervil wrote: »
    I know I will be "eaten alive" after saying that, but astrologers all over the world believed that this pandemic was caused by Jupiter Pluto conjunction in Capricorn, sign of seniors. There were three conjunctions. On the 4th April, 29th June (but this time both planets were retrograde) and the last one on November 13th. So now it will all fizzle out without vaccine. Since January 12th both planets are in different signs now and more then 10 degrees apart, so this energy is fading.

But the next Jupiter Pluto conjunction will be in 12 years but this time in Aquarius, sign of young people, mainly teenagers. So it would be good to figure out how to fight it then.

It’s Jupiter and Saturn you’re probably thinking of - they’ve both moved into Aqua around Christmas. Pluto still in Cappy for the next few years. Very slow fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-gang-forging-negative-covid-19-tests-for-european-travellers-europol-warns-1.4473032?
    The European police agency said members of the Rathkeale Rovers gang, a group of Irish criminals operating in several European countries, are using a mobile phone application to “manually falsify test results” which are then sold onto travellers for hundreds of euro each.

Activities centred in the UK and Guards haven't detected any of the same here.

If you're wondering about the name "Rathkeale Rovers" the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Some benefits of vaccines in Israel may be seen already

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1356313705684869121

Its weird that the same thing is happening in the US, even down to the percentages being nearly identical - 34% drop in new cases for example. Thats without giving out as many vaccines

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210128/us-covid-19-cases-fell-34-in-last-2-weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The_Brood wrote: »
    If we have accepted everything so far, we will accept everything else.

I believe in doing my own risk assessment. Spent only 2 hrs with parents last Christmas sitting in cold conservatory with windows all open, didn’t go to restaurants etc. In effect we behaved like we had all through lockdown 2.
    When cases went Mad here After Christmas I went to the Canary Islands for 2 weeks, private villa & rental car. Bit of wfh, long walks, meals outside with masks worn at all times in public. Paid over a grand on tests etc but was happy to do it. So no, I don’t accept that living with Covid is no longer an option and we have to pause our lives until an unelected quango says otherwise.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I believe in doing my own risk assessment. Spent only 2 hrs with parents last Christmas sitting in cold conservatory with windows all open, didn’t go to restaurants etc. In effect we behaved like we had all through lockdown 2.
    When cases went Mad here After Christmas I went to the Canary Islands for 2 weeks, private villa & rental car. Bit of wfh, long walks, meals outside with masks worn at all times in public. Paid over a grand on tests etc but was happy to do it. So no, I don’t accept that living with Covid is no longer an option and we have to pause our lives until an unelected quango says otherwise.

How would you elect a pandemic advisory panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any regrets it was only two weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

It's great being in the EU and all the positives it brings but by christ they are making an absolute balls of the vaccine rollout.

How would you elect a pandemic advisory panel?

I didn’t say NEPHT were not necessary- but they should be advising the government who then govern. Having two (sometimes contradictory) bodies Speaking to the public isn’t Always helpful and leads to mixed messages.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The EU need to grow a pair and admit they are failing BIG TIME on the vaccine rollout. The UK are beating them all over the place and only allows them beat their chest and put two fingers up to Brussels. Pathetic.

Any regrets it was only two weeks?

Was going to extend but the mood music around travel changed while we were away. We decided it was unfair for us to be over there all stress free so we decided to come back and pull on the green sack cloth and ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

degsie wrote: »
    The EU need to grow a pair and admit they are failing BIG TIME on the vaccine rollout. The UK are beating them all over the place and only allows them beat their chest and put two fingers up to Brussels. Pathetic.
    Fair play to the Brits, they're no clowns for leaving.

degsie wrote: »

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Gave a look at the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I didn’t say NEPHT were not necessary- but they should be advising the government who then govern. Having two (sometimes contradictory) bodies Speaking to the public isn’t Always helpful and leads to mixed messages.

that's what they do. NPHET have zero power to enact restrictions. not sure how people still don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

seenitall wrote: »
    It’s Jupiter and Saturn you’re probably thinking of - they’ve both moved into Aqua around Christmas. Pluto still in Cappy for the next few years. Very slow fella.

Ah.

Now it makes more sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

I think a lot of people are intelligent enough to be able to tell the difference between what comes out of NPHET and what comes out of government. Government advice is mostly crap from lobby groups - open this, open that, not fair blah blah.
    At least NPHET are working from some sort of scientific basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Danno wrote: »

Long way to go yet.

I wouldn't be awarding out prizes to anyone for first place right now.

How quickly your start is isn't half as important is as how well you get the job done.

Not saying the EU haven't made some mistakes and aren't capable of making more, but, we'll see how everyone matches up in three to four months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Danno wrote: »

You can only say that when the pandemic is over and their deaths per head of population is compared. They may be jabbing away but they've a lot of ground to catch up. They're no role model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Arghus wrote: »
    Long way to go yet.

I wouldn't be awarding out prizes to anyone for first place right now.

How quickly your start is isn't half as important is as how well you get the job done.

Not saying the EU haven't made some mistakes and aren't capable of making more, but, we'll see how everyone matches up in three to four months time.

The Tortoise and the Hare

Its not over yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The government has bent over backwards and sideways for various industry lobby groups, especially last May when there was a significant decline in community transmission.

This alone will mean there will be a relatively light level of restrictions in the summer. If all vulnerable groups have been vaccinated by then you can also forget about any meaningful level of public buy-in anymore.

Edwina Curry on claire byrne in reference to Uk

"Several european countries have a higher death rate than we have per million including brussels"

Is that a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Malcomex wrote: »
    Edwina Curry on claire byrne

"Several european countries have a higher death rate than we have per million including brussels"

Is that a lie?

Belgium have the highest deaths per million outside of microstates the last time I checked, not sure if there are "several" though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why we'd have more restrictions this summer than last.

Maybe the confirmed more infectious, possibly deadlier BR117 that is dominant here and is potentially becoming dominant in more of Europe? Laxer restrictions worked to slow the spread last year. That won't be the case with BR117.

We also have to try and ensure that the 501Y.V2, P.1 and CAL.20C strains don't spread and take hold. We can't take what worked last year for granted. Especially when not being extra careful for the coming months may damage the very realistic chance we have of ending the worst of this in the near future. It was one thing to 'learn to live' with the virus when there was no guarantee of an effective vaccination in the immediate future. It's not the case any more. We need to tamp it down hard while we vaccinate as many people as possible.

El Sueño wrote: »
    Belgium have the highest deaths per million outside of microstates the last time I checked, not sure if there are "several" though

Uk toll obviously

Didn't sound right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

El Sueño wrote: »

1. Belgium
    2. Slovenia
    3. UK

UK twice the death rate of the Republic of Ireland

iguana wrote: »
    Maybe the confirmed more infectious, possibly deadlier BR117 that is dominant here and is potentially becoming dominant in more of Europe? Laxer restrictions worked to slow the spread last year. That won't be the case with BR117.

We also have to try and ensure that the 501Y.V2, P.1 and CAL.20C strains don't spread and take hold. We can't take what worked last year for granted. Especially when not being extra careful for the coming months may damage the very realistic chance we have of ending the worst of this in the near future. It was one thing to 'learn to live' with the virus when there was no guarantee of an effective vaccination in the immediate future. It's not the case any more. We need to tamp it down hard while we vaccinate as many people as possible.

They have to get the message across too that it's not over after vaccination

They'll have their work cut out to impose any further restrictions if they slacken off

^^ from their perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Malcomex wrote: »
    Uk toll obviously

Didn't sound right

Absolutely, I'd be fairly certain ireland are nowhere near the top but with the UK I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

And whilst we're on the subject of journalists, am I the only one who withers in horror upon hearing the words, "My name is X, from TheJournal.ie".

Journalists!? TheJournal.ie?

You mean, they leave the office? And actually go outside doing journalist like things?

I'm well surprised by that revelation.

• Advertisement

Arduach wrote: »
    1. Belgium
    2. Slovenia
    3. UK

UK twice the death rate of the Republic of Ireland

Hmmm.... Several

"More than 2 but not many"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement