Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I agree with you. I’m just objecting to the daily prime time talking shop that the briefings have become- they are a way for Tony to scare people into doing the right thing. Unfortunately The ones who have needed some scaring all the way Through have never tuned in. I’m not suggesting NEPHET be silenced- just that they start working better with the government. The daily briefings should be in government buildings rather than a few phone calls and texts, it doesn’t fill me with confidence that the current system is fit for purpose.

sorry I don't understand what you want there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

pc7 wrote: »
    Newstalk news bulletins playing the tony 'only beach will be local' spiel. Tony can fook right off on this one, firstly its too early to say, but the data coming from Israel is looking positive in bringing cases down. Jesus we've just got through a depressingly long January, give us a bit of hope Tony, especially when he can't look that far in the future. I am 'hopeful' I will get away to the sun this year, cause I could not face doing staycations again this year, it was brutal last year. Now maybe he will be proven right but its way to early to be saying it.

Fully agreed. Although I do think people are hanging on Holohans words too much , in this context. As I said yesterday, it really doesn't matter what anyone says right now, the landscape for International travel within Europe this summer will be dictated by what the large tourism based economies do. No chance the government will get away with continuing to ban foreign travel if Europe is open.

O'Leary has a vested interest in wanting people travelling. Holohan has a vested interest in not wanting people travelling. Neither party are truly independent.

The correct response from Holohan yesterday would have been to say that it is too early to determine what the landscape will be like this summer. Personally, I don't think it will be a normal summer but I do think we will be able to travel intra-EU with some protocols such as testing pre departure, in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Regarding foreign travel at the moment, does anyone know if the Gardai are actually stopping people from flying out?

The articles that I have read imply that the people stopped on the way to the airport are given a fine but then allowed to continue through the airport and on to their holiday.

If that's the case, that's madness. They should be fined AND turned back.

https://www.independent.ie/news/gardai-fine-280-people-at-dublin-airport-as-over-3500-penalties-issued-for-breaching-restrictions-40038708.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-gardai-fines-5342009-Feb2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

What happens if the rate of decline plateaus and case numbers hover in and around 1000? And if this happens, why wont the numbers fall any further?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sanjuro wrote: »
    What happens if the rate of decline plateaus and case numbers hover in and around 1000? And if this happens, why wont the numbers fall any further?

What happens if *unlikely suggestion*. If unlikely suggestion happens why would it be?

The only reason it would plateau is if people enmasse decide to stop following restrictions.

If we hit a plateau then we stay in restrictions for a while longer and hope to vaccinate our way out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Because the government refuses to do what is necessary to completely kill off the virus and hides behind excuses that many are all too happy to play along with, talking about how every other country that has handled this pandemic well is a "special situation" - but are perfectly happy to continue this endless economic lockdown because it is not them personally that will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

The_Brood wrote: »
    Because the government refuses to do what is necessary to completely kill off the virus and hides behind excuses that many are all too happy to play along with, talking about how every other country that has handled this pandemic well is a "special situation" - but are perfectly happy to continue this endless economic lockdown because it is not them personally that will suffer.

You do realise that governments rely on popularity to get re-elected and this is precisely the last thing any government in the world would do if they had any realistic choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

What happens if *unlikely suggestion*. If unlikely suggestion happens why would it be?

The only reason it would plateau is if people enmasse decide to stop following restrictions.

If we hit a plateau then we stay in restrictions for a while longer and hope to vaccinate our way out of trouble.

I would hope it's unlikely. I'm just going off some rumblings made by the powers that be. Just curious as to what they expect if the things they've put in place dont get the results they want.

I would not assume that the plateau is real, but if it were to hold at around 1,000 I would not be surprised if the data revealed that the UK variant was at 90%+ prevalence. If the suppression measures introduced at the end of December suppressed to R to 0.5 for the pre-existing variant and to 1 for the UK variant for example, the overall R would tend to 1 over time as the relative occurrence of both variants shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I would hope it's unlikely. I'm just going off some rumblings made by the powers that be. Just curious as to what they expect if the things they've put in place dont get the results they want.

I definitely read a few weeks ago that there was a fear of the numbers plateauing, not because people aren't following restrictions but because of the new variants.

IE, (general) compliance with Level 5 would lead to a suppression of the original Coronavirus, but because the new variants were so highly transmissible, they only needed a tiny amount of community contacts and it would still lead to new cases.

In that scenario, the numbers would plateau.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1356347783796707330

We haven't plateaued yet, the reduction incases wasn't actually as fast as we are being led to believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

is_that_so wrote: »
    We know that none of this ever happened so why even guess at it? Variants will be addressed via vaccine tweaks, as they do with flu'. There should be some level of protection from the original vaccinations anyway.

Flu has many strains and we guess the strain for that season, its a little bit different than a novel coronavirus

Only thing similar would be bird flu and if that mutated to infect human's, it wouldn't be tweaking, it would be lockdown level 7

Morning all.

Can’t believe it’s been over a year now since the COVID threads came to be. I’m having a feel sorry for myself day. I’m burnt out.

I’ve just deleted the majority of this post as everyone is having a rough time not just me.

froog wrote: »
    And what if an asteroid hits us?

We spend milions on that every year for that what if

NEAT and its taken very seriously after 2013 and that Russian incident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Morning all.

Can’t believe it’s been over a year now since the COVID threads came to be. I’m having a feel sorry for myself day. I’m burnt out.

I’ve just deleted the majority of this post as everyone is having a rough time not just me.

Everyone I talked to in the last week / 10 days is really struggling.

frozen3 wrote: »

2013 Asteroid near miss was tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

tigger123 wrote: »
    Everyone I talked to in the last week / 10 days is really struggling.

A couple of people I've spoken to have said the same for the first time throughout the pandemic. I feel lucky not to feel the same right at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Regarding foreign travel at the moment, does anyone know if the Gardai are actually stopping people from flying out?

The articles that I have read imply that the people stopped on the way to the airport are given a fine but then allowed to continue through the airport and on to their holiday.

If that's the case, that's madness. They should be fined AND turned back.

https://www.independent.ie/news/gardai-fine-280-people-at-dublin-airport-as-over-3500-penalties-issued-for-breaching-restrictions-40038708.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-gardai-fines-5342009-Feb2021/

Flying itself is not illegal. They can only fine people for being outside their 5k for non-essential purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Flu has many strains and we guess the strain for that season, its a little bit different than a novel coronavirus

Only thing similar would be bird flu and if that mutated to infect human's, it wouldn't be tweaking, it would be lockdown level 7
    But we have a level of protection which we will have with this. This seems to be more about your views of this. We really gain nothing by allowing any nightmares in our head to become our perceived reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's taken a bit more seriously but we're no where near adequately prepared. Actually, for many size ranges we'd be fcked. Some are too small to detect in time but would still be the end. Others are too large to deviate their course in any meaningful time frame.

Nothing we can do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

pc7 wrote: »
    Newstalk news bulletins playing the tony 'only beach will be local' spiel. Tony can fook right off on this one, firstly its too early to say, but the data coming from Israel is looking positive in bringing cases down. Jesus we've just got through a depressingly long January, give us a bit of hope Tony, especially when he can't look that far in the future. I am 'hopeful' I will get away to the sun this year, cause I could not face doing staycations again this year, it was brutal last year. Now maybe he will be proven right but its way to early to be saying it.

Not being able to go away on holiday is a first world problem. Get over it.

2013 Asteroid near miss was tiny

And look at.the damage it caused and it didn't even land, exploded mid air

20m in size and travelling at 27,000mph

We didn't even see it coming

Not being able to go away on holiday is a first world problem. Get over it.

Everyone is different. A holiday away without a care in the world is what I want most too.

is_that_so wrote: »
    But we have a level of protection which we will have with this. This seems to be more about your views of this. We really gain nothing by allowing any nightmares in our head to become our perceived reality.

True

We need to be aware of them nightmares eg selective pressure due to vaccination

Question for you?

Will we have another lockdown after June when most of the population is vaccinated?

Say winter 2021 or 2022?

Yes or no?

Would you put your money on it?

Will we be locked down if we have to wait 6-12 weeks for vaccines to be refined for a new dangerous variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Everyone is different. A holiday away without a care in the world is what I want most too.

I don't quite get why that requires a change of country. Each to their own though and what works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

froog wrote: »
    And what if an asteroid hits us?

Great, now I'm worried about a dang asteroid!!:)

A couple of people I've spoken to have said the same for the first time throughout the pandemic. I feel lucky not to feel the same right at the minute!

literally everyone I have spoken to in the last 2 weeks has said the same. Some of these were people who were telling me to "suck it up" last year. Its all changed at this stage. A family member who is 64 told me last night she is done with the 5km restriction and is breaking them every day to go further for her walks, as her mental health is in bits (she has an adult special needs child in the house). Do what is right for you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just curious as to what they expect if the things they've put in place dont get the results they want.

It is more that people are no longer adhering to the restrictions they have put in place IMO. Locally I know of building sites that had been closed and are now open, even tho nothing has changed around restrictions. I assume it is similar with offices etc..

Turtwig wrote: »
    I don't quite get why that requires a change of country. Each to their own though and what works for them.

Well in my case I haven’t had a day off since my dad’s last respite in September 2019. I have no idea when these services will be open again. If i didn’t get out of the country and stayed at home while he was in respite, I would have to go visit him every day with clean clothes, etc.

I know this sounds bad but out of sight out of mind which going to another country would give me. I’ve been doing this caring thing since Feb 2017.

• Advertisement

literally everyone I have spoken to in the last 2 weeks has said the same. Some of these were people who were telling me to "suck it up" last year. Its all changed at this stage. A family member who is 64 told me last night she is done with the 5km restriction and is breaking them every day to go further for her walks, as her mental health is in bits (she has an adult special needs child in the house). Do what is right for you at this stage.

This is why I deleted most of my feel sorry for myself post. Your family member has been feeling isolated for a lot longer than COVID but the lockdown has taken any chance of having a break from her.

I hope she’s ok :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement