Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hospital numbers down 125 (6%) on yesterday. There was a slight bump in admissions compared to the weekend, but still still lower than every other day since 6th January.

That's the biggest decline we'll see this week, but we should see it continue downward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

seamus wrote: »
    Hospital numbers down 125 (6%) on yesterday. There was a slight bump in admissions compared to the weekend, but still still lower than every other day since 6th January.

That's the biggest decline we'll see this week, but we should see it continue downward.

There was the same little bump exactly a week ago also, so hopefully the downward trend in admission follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I really think we need somebody in power to come out and say something positive.

I just don't get the overwhelming negativity of recent days.

COVID cases are being crushed.

We have multiple vaccines

We are past mid-winter and the spring and summer looms

Hospital numbers are slowly now beginning to decline

We need to stop the drive of negativity and not lurch to extreme measures just when we are so close to getting out of this.

We can't because 'one death from Covid is one death too many' is still what's driving this.

But you are absolutely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Probes wrote: »
    Yes, I can't even go into work and the only people I know in Ireland outside of colleagues are my partner and our young kids. It would be an understatement to say it's taken a toll on my mental health.
    It must be tough on you. Things are looking up though compared to last year. We know a lot more about the virus and the numbers are slowly improving after the recent escalation, and there are vaccines out there when there were none last year, and with more vaccines on the horizon. And ............. Springtime is just around the corner.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think it's a very human response. A lot of people do not have those who matter to them anywhere near. One would expect that to be a consideration when we get to March 5. If it doesn't, a lot more people will get close to cracking point. While we won't see what's going on in Holland it is evidence of the kind of stress people are increasingly under.

"It's only at the turning point that you find out how you fight."

If the crack comes it will be sudden and unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

For anyone worried about where we are going and endless lockdowns and so on. You just need to look at Israel...whatever they are doing and whatever happens over there will happen elsewhere. If they start lifting restrictions (which they will) and there is no effect snd deaths and hospitalisations stay low then there will be a massive push in other countries (once we vaccinate a certain cohort)to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

polesheep wrote: »
    "It's only at the turning point that you find out how you fight."

If the crack comes it will be sudden and unexpected.

Sign me up for some of this sudden crack!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hubertj wrote: »
    I did love a good riot when I was a kid growing up on the mean streets of Donnybrook.

Ah yes, lineout reenactments across the N11 at Kielys following a 5 nations game.
    Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Kivaro wrote: »
    It must be tough on you. Things are looking up though compared to last year. We know a lot more about the virus and the numbers are slowly improving after the recent escalation, and there are vaccines out there when there were none last year, and with more vaccines on the horizon. And ............. Springtime is just around the corner.
    That's keeping me going tbh.

Thanks to the mod who pmd as well. Sorry I just couldn't sleep last night and it's all bearing down on me today.
    There are lots of numbers available if you need someone to talk to Pieta House for example. Could you meet a friend for a walk perhaps, hate the phrase but form a bubble with a trusted friend?
    Is that allowed? I thought only essential journeys. I have family living very close but I thought we weren't allowed to see them even in the garden. Also hearing it's for months still.

I'm fine most of the time but I have a sick feeling in my stomach constantly and sometimes my brain just starts to descend into negativity and I can't see anything beyond this. "What's the point of work when I can't spend the money. What's the point in life when I don't see anyone. What's the point of compliance when there's no guarantee of going back to normal".

Anyway. Very positive (albeit stupid) news about AstraZeneka. 8% was the number of participants between 59 and 64 years of age. Actually strengthens their position because 8% of the total was an older age group.

Could it have been spread out of spite because they wouldn't fulfil the EU order?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

polesheep wrote: »
    We can't because 'one death from Covid is one death too many' is still what's driving this.

But you are absolutely correct.

Actually, it's 700 deaths, just in this month that's driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Just reading my covid app. In hospital with covid 1,823, the max was 2,023. So we're roughly 90% of peak admissions.

ICU 218, the max was 219. Hopefully will reduce soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The UK are closing their borders today.

Not quite. It's England for a start and "arrivals from most of Southern Africa and South America, as well as Portugal" only at this point.

Thanks to the mod who pmd as well. Sorry I just couldn't sleep last night and it's all bearing down on me today.

Is that allowed? I thought only essential journeys. I have family living very close but I thought we weren't allowed to see them even in the garden. Also hearing it's for months still.

I'm fine most of the time but I have a sick feeling in my stomach constantly and sometimes my brain just starts to descend into negativity and I can't see anything beyond this. "What's the point of work when I can't spend the money. What's the point in life when I don't see anyone. What's the point of compliance when there's no guarantee of going back to normal".

Anyway. Very positive (albeit stupid) news about AstraZeneka. 8% was the number of participants between 59 and 64 years of age. Actually strengthens their position because 8% of the total was an older age group.

Could it have been spread out of spite because they wouldn't fulfil the EU order?

The rules are in place as public health guidance, not commandments. If you need to meet with people every so often for a walk and a chat, there are perfectly safe ways of doing that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I can see I conversation in my head now.

German ministry official. We are very concerned about the efficacy of the Astra Zenaca Vaccine among older people.

Journalist Why are you concerned. How low do you suspect the efficacy among older people to be?

Official Only 8%

Journalist hangs up

Official of the participants are older people and we cannot be confident in the value of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I cannot hack county border restrictions beyond March. Both sets of parents live in different counties and one set too far for a day trip though I would stay in a hotel and visit from the garden if I could. My mother is missing everyone and incredibly jealous watching her brother and sister whose children just didn’t happen to have to leave like us to live in the commuter belt for jobs

We haven’t even gone from 5km to county boundaries yet. Can anyone see them allowing inter county travel before or during Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hi Qwertyminger,

Get off these threads for a start. It's like being in George Lee's head in here. Some people can immerse themselves in negative vibes without it affecting them but most cannot. Seriously, put your mind on more positive things. Spring is coming too which will make a big difference.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

mohawk wrote: »
    We haven’t even gone from 5km to county boundaries yet. Can anyone see them allowing inter county travel before or during Easter?

I think if we are in level 5 until that point, community transmission will be at extremely low/non existent levels, so I'm going to say yes, inter county travel will be back by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Lucky to be May I'd fear

We only had 8 days of intercounty travel over Christmas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Does anybody know if you have tested positive for Covid already and again were a close contact do you have to isolate again?

And is your isolation period extended if someone in your family home tests positive a few days after you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think if we are in level 5 until that point, community transmission will be at extremely low/non existent levels, so I'm going to say yes, inter county travel will be back by Easter.

So we can have a meaningful easter?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Been buzy doing things including taking a social media break...good news for musicians/singers /performers that I thought I had already posted but maybe not...seems to have been overlooked. Covers a lot of different genres.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2020/august/perfomsing-study.html

Heres the research paper

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/preprint/Comparing_the_Respirable_Aerosol_Concentrations_and_Particle_Size_Distributions_Generated_by_Singing_Speaking_and_Breathing/12789221

And for some hope and fun a gig that took place in the last couple of days with some creativity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Get off these threads for a start. It's like being in George Lee's head in here. Some people can immerse themselves in negative vibes without it affecting them but most cannot. Seriously, put your mind on more positive things. Spring is coming too which will make a big difference.

Imagine that movie

540992.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Probes wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that it's seasonal in European temperate climates. Other climates might not be comparable.

Yep exactly, I think COVID is not following the seasonal pattern we are familiar with but is following some pattern, seems to only apply to countries with large variation in temperatures annually, ie. most of Northern hemisphere.

All of South America is going through large resurgence so traditional form of seasonality is pretty much out of the question

Sign me up for some of this sudden crack!

:pac:

Only if you are within my 5K. I may be a crack dealer but I abide by the restrictions.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

well they should have controlled the influx of people better - i stopped going anywhere before christmas apart form my main shop as the small town i was in was full of uk registered cars.

cant see how anyone was surprised at what happened after

There was a huge amount of UK registered cars on the roads around Christmas time and none of them were NI registrations either. Was in Dunnes doing the big Christmas shop and there were two people in the whole shop not wearing masks and I saw them again in the car park getting into a UK registered car. If they couldn’t be bothered wearing masks then I doubt they isolated or restricted their movements when they got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just maybe...a very simple explaination...maybe nowadays we live too much of our lives indoors in unhealthy places?

Actually, it's 700 deaths, just in this month that's driving it.

Actually, it's not. When we had zero deaths last summer we still had restrictions and some people calling for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Luap wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you have tested positive for Covid already and again were a close contact do you have to isolate again?

If you tested positive more than 2 weeks ago and less than 12 weeks ago and have no symptoms then you do not have to restrict your movements.

Otherwise, or if you have symptoms, you have to restrict your movements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement