Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is there much of the Kent variant in Israel I wonder? If there is and it's mutated in a similar way to the SA strain then the data from Israel becomes even more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just to counter the negativity here:

Early evidence from Israel and Moderna's own trials is that the MRNA vaccines both prevent severe disease and significantly suppress transmission - they don't stop it fully.

Nothing to suggest any variants evade these vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

polesheep wrote: »
    But, of course, it's everyone else that's selfish.

Well in fairness, there's being a bit selfish which we've all probably been guilty of at times, and there's being breathtakingly selfish which applies to those going on foreign holidays, having big parties, drinking in packed shebeens, refusing to wear masks, and hosting large gatherings for Communions, Christenings etc

El Sueño wrote: »
    Is there much of the Kent variant in Israel I wonder? If there is and it's mutated in a similar way to the SA strain then the data from Israel becomes even more important.

40-50% last count. It varies a bit between communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Well in fairness, there's being a bit selfish which we've all probably been guilty of at times, and there's being breathtakingly selfish which applies to those going on foreign holidays, having big parties, drinking in packed shebeens, refusing to wear masks, and hosting large gatherings for Communions, Christenings etc

So your 'selfish' is ok. You have just reinforced my loint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

iguana wrote: »
    I'm feeling like a major anomaly in this but I'm actually having a wonderful time. This was the fastest cheeriest January I've ever lived through. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to live a more normal life but tbth, I'm actually just really happy nearly every day. Maybe it's because during the first lockdown I was sick from March 18th to April 4th and then from April 8th to the end of June I was mostly debilitated by post viral chest, thyroid and gastric inflammation. By July when things reopened I could do most of my normal activities but I still had a lot of pain and weaknesses. It's honestly only since the end of November/start of December that I've been able to really rebuild the strength in my chest and I only started to feel genuinely fit and strong again in the last month. I still have thyroid problems and constantly reoccurring oral/throat candida as my immune system is low and some chest inflammation that I've learned to manage but I still mostly just feel really, really good.

I feel like I'm finally getting a chance to do some of the stuff I'd planned for the first lockdown, so lockdown projects are still really fresh to me. While I'm also on the high of feeling much more in control of my body again. All of which boils down to how utterly shït getting Covid is. Because my experience of being (most likely) infected with it, is making the life that everyone else is utterly bloody sick of feel like a wonderful new adventure to me because even my mild dose has really boll0xed up so much of the last year.

If you are grateful for everything, what you have is enough. .

God I need to start going back to those monk meditations I stopped following....

Hardyn wrote: »
    40-50% last count. It varies a bit between communities.

Would it be reasonable to assume the new mutation has occurred there so I wonder? I hope it has because the early stage data looks positive in terms of hospitalisations

So your 'selfish' is ok. You have just reinforced my point.

No its not OK. And to be honest I haven't broken any rules or restrictions because I have an extremely vulnerable family member. But someone travelling 8km instead of 5km because they want to see an elderly parent, or forgetting to keep 2m away from someone in the supermarket is not in the same league as someone inviting 30 people to their house for a party, or flying out to Spain for a holiday, or not bothering to isolate when they're waiting for a Covid test result.

No its not OK. And to be honest I haven't broken any rules or restrictions because I have an extremely vulnerable family member. But someone travelling 8km instead of 5km because they want to see an elderly parent, or forgetting to keep 2m away from someone in the supermarket is not in the same league as someone inviting 30 people to their house for a party, or flying out to Spain for a holiday, or not bothering to isolate when they're waiting for a Covid test result.

I'm sorry you can't go on foreign holidays, but you really shouldn't begrudge those who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

marno21 wrote: »
    The B117 variant in the UK (with the N501Y mutation in the spike protein’s RBD) has in 11 instances also acquired the E484K mutation found in the South African variant which appears to reduce the effectiveness of neutralising antibodies.

Vaccine manufacturers will likely start producing booster shots to improve protection against these 2 mutations (they seem to be most effective at evading immune responses as a pair)

so the uk strain mutated again and is now combining with the SA variant.....oh well we had a good run :pac::(

This virus seems to be able to mutate really quickly, that alone is a bit terrifying tbh, i mean the vaccines dont stop you from contracting covid correct? you can still pass it on? does that mean that it can mutate in you while you are vaccinated against it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Actually you stats are wrong, but ill indulge,

A Vaccine provides immunity, thus by all accounts, the Rotavirus vaccine is a vaccine because for the vast majority of people it is given to go on to develop immunity.

The so-called COVID vaccine does not provide immunity to anyone according to the CDC and other leading experts, this is why you still wear a mask and you still social distance.

It's not hard, Google the definition of Vaccine.

Maybe you should Google the definition of Immunity? It's not hard...

I'm sorry you can't go on foreign holidays, but you really shouldn't begrudge those who can.

Mine is only a pipe dream. I think when the day comes that people are allowed to freely travel abroad that I’ll still be waiting for respite services in care homes.

Looking at my HolidayPirates app every day and day dreaming won’t kill anyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

so the uk strain mutated again and is now combining with the SA variant.....oh well we had a good run :pac::(

This virus seems to be able to mutate really quickly, that alone is a bit terrifying tbh, i mean the vaccines dont stop you from contracting covid correct? you can still pass it on? does that mean that it can mutate in you while you are vaccinated against it?

This virus mutates relatively slowly. While all the data isn't in on transmission rates, early indications are very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Russian vaccine 92% efficiency
    Zero hospitalisations/deaths
    Zero severe reactions
    Trial of 20k people
    Published in lancet today

Better Efficiency than Oxford. We should order

Would it be reasonable to assume the new mutation has occurred there so I wonder? I hope it has because the early stage data looks positive in terms of hospitalisations

Well the new data suggests that the the mutation arose in the variant multiple times independently. So it's very likely the mutation has appeared there or will soon.

But if vaccine is so effective, why there were 8,811 new cases in Israel yesterday, country of 9mln people with 60% of them vaccinated with the first dose and 30% with the second? Not mentioning that also 7% at least should have acquired natural immunity at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you go first Komrade

JoChervil wrote: »
    But if vaccine is so effective, why there were 8,811 new cases in Israel yesterday, country of 9mln people with 60% of them vaccinated with the first dose and 30% with the second? Not mentioning that also 7% at least should have acquired natural immunity at this stage?

As always, it's the hospitals that matter. If the vaccine keeps people out of hospital then it works.

Mine is only a pipe dream. I think when the day comes that people are allowed to freely travel abroad that I’ll still be waiting for respite services in care homes.

Looking at my HolidayPirates app every day and day dreaming won’t kill anyone though.

Respite services are simply not good enough. All the money we have found for Covid and yet we have had so many neglected services for years. I hope you get a great breakaway soon.

Your data is incorrect

36.5% have been given first dose

About half of those have also been given their second dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Russian vaccine 92% efficiency
    Zero hospitalisations/deaths
    Zero severe reactions
    Trial of 20k people
    Published in lancet today

Better Efficiency than Oxford. We should order

Better put in the trash :pac:

Your data is incorrect

34.9% have been given first dose

You are right, they gave 60 doses per 100 people, so your numbers are more accurate (like 40% first dose and 20% second dose). Yet it should be more visible now, while it's not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Your data is incorrect

34.9% have been given first dose

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations shows 57% of Israel's population have been given the first dose, but yes the news is very positive. About 6 weeks from now they should have achieved >70% with a second dose effective and the daily deaths and hospitalisations should have imploded by then.

You are right, they gave 60 doses per 100 people, so your numbers are more accurate (like 40% first dose and 20% second dose). Yet it should be more visible now, while it's not so much.

I'm not so sure, this link suggests it's having an effect in the vaccinated groups: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55706855

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

OwenM wrote: »
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations shows 57% of Israel's population have been given the first dose, but yes the news is very positive. About 6 weeks from now they should have achieved >70% with a second dose effective and the daily deaths and hospitalisations should have imploded by then.

Thats 60 doses per 100 people, many of those are 2 doses to the same person.

That's actually 57 doses per 100 people, not 57% vaccinated. It's quite misleading.

There's about 37% that have gotten the first dose and 20% that have gotten the second.

If someone has gotten both doses it counts as two, so that's where the 57 per 100 figure comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I'm not so sure, this link suggests it's having an effect in the vaccinated groups: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55706855

This: "Israeli Ministry of Health (MoH) figures show 531 over-60s, out of almost 750,000 fully vaccinated, tested positive for coronavirus (0.07%)."

suggests to me that transmission is being suppressed as well, if true then the pubs will open............

This: "Israeli Ministry of Health (MoH) figures show 531 over-60s, out of almost 750,000 fully vaccinated, tested positive for coronavirus (0.07%)."

suggests to me that transmission is being suppressed as well, if true then the pubs will open............

Does it state how many were tested? Could there be a lot more asymptomatic cases than previously? Early days I know, but very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I am a bit perplexed looking at Israel at the moment. Hard to know what's going on. They also have the absolute strictest control measures in place against COVID in the entire world according the global stringency index, higher than any European country. Should become a bit clearer soon.

• Advertisement

I'm not begrudging anyone. I just think it's incredibly selfish behaviour during a pandemic. Once it's safe to travel I will get another family member to step in for a week or so and will head to the airport. But regardless of my circumstances I wouldn't go abroad on holidays now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement