Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I see Martin will be heading on an essential trip to present an elderly gentleman a bowl of weeds for Paddy's Day. If only someone invented a means to interact on the internet, ah well.
    Do as I say not as I do.

Has this been confirmed? The last I saw was that MM was reserving the right to travel to Washington for St Patrick`s Day but hadn` t made a decision one way or the other. BTW shamrock is not a "weed".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Allinall

froog wrote: »
    a shamrock photo op and a present of a hurley or whatever will have zero impact on US investment in Ireland. in the middle of heavy restrictions in a global pandemic, the leader of the country should not be flying to other countries. it looks bad, simple as that.

You seem to have little knowledge of what goes on during the St. Patrick's Day visit to the US.

Maybe do a bit of research before posting rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

NH2013 wrote: »
    I feel like this firmly falls into the grounds of essential travel, some things have to be done in person, and the US accounts for so much of our FDI in this country, particularly with such a pro-Irish president in the white house at the moment, if ever there was a time for trying to strengthen the relationship now is it, we'll need every last bit of co-operation and investment from US multinationals to get us out of this recession.

I think people need to see the difference between essential (billions in investment) vs non-essential (a week in the sun, a trip to see parents/children/partners living abroad). We can't cut ourselves totally off from the outside world.

Exactly. Relationships are fostered, alliances are forged, and mega deals get done at these events. It's an extremely important day for Ireland. It's the one day where we have the ear of the most powerful man in the world, who luckily for us is american irish, and has a huge fondness and interest in the country. It's a fantastic opportunity for the nation.

To put it in perspective the so called 30,000 essential travelers in and out of ireland every week might be worth millions to the economy. The relationship with Biden and America could potentially bring billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

a shamrock photo op and a present of a hurley or whatever will have zero impact on US investment in Ireland. in the middle of heavy restrictions in a global pandemic, the leader of the country should not be flying to other countries. it looks bad, simple as that.

It looks bad to who ?

Those who cant tell the difference between one leader of a country meeting another, versus John, Mary and the kids going to Costa del sol for 2 weeks ?

Really and truly, if people really think they are comparable its no wonder our authorities have struggled at times to communicate with some.

Has this been confirmed? The last I saw was that MM was reserving the right to travel to Washington for St Patrick`s Day but hadn` t made a decision one way or the other. BTW shamrock is not a "weed".

Ah it is really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It is a weed...
    https://chorbie.com/lawn-care/is-the-shamrock-plant-a-weed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

There is also a truly astonishing amount of complete disregard for people's circumstances by the government. No alternatives provided for a wide variety of services that people need. Just told "wait till lockdown is over" which I guess could be forever. Not a care in the world from Meehoe and the gang who are well looked after in life, happy to chirp on with endless lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Drumpot wrote: »
    It looks bad to who ?

Those who cant tell the difference between one leader of a country meeting another, versus John, Mary and the kids going to Costa del sol for 2 weeks ?

Really and truly, if people really think they are comparable its no wonder our authorities have struggled at times to communicate with some.

to the entire country who can't move outside a 5km radius.

It looks bad to who ?

Do you think everyone who wishes to leave Ireland wants to head to the Costa del Sol? I find this repeated rubbish to be akin to a wind up.I have work colleagues who have not seen family for almost a year except on Zoom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

You thirsty the brood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure what 'managed quarantine' is exactly but interesting move.

https://twitter.com/caroline_gm_d/status/1356612795241017348

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure what 'managed quarantine' is exactly but interesting move.

https://twitter.com/caroline_gm_d/status/1356612795241017348

Quarantining the English? Fair play.

Quarantining the English? Fair play.

If only it was around when Johnson visited.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It's February 2nd ...

so it's coming to a living room near you ...

GROUNDHOG DAY , THE IRISH EDIT

Starring ..PHILLIP NOLAN as Punxsatawney Phil , getting nervous of his shadow/ numbers stagnating ,

With " IRISH PUBLIC " as grumpy jaded Bill Murray character , doomed to repeat the same lockdown day foreva , until he " Gets It Right " ,

To win the favour of the (un) fair damsel AN TONY (HOULIHAN ) MCDOWELL

with stunt double RONANNE GLYNN to take the flak ,

Guest starring MEEHALL MARTIN as Mayor ,

and LEAKY VARADKAR as Town Crier ,

Supported by Irish language coach and Sweet Talker , CUDDLE ME HENRY ,

and Late Data support HISSY P . REID.

Showing Mondays and Thursday at 17. 40 / 17.50 / 18.00/ whatever time they want ,

GET READY FOR IT ...

SIX MORE WEEKS OF LOCKDOWN !
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m glad Taoiseach is going to Washington. We need to use our advantageous connections. Remember NI is looking wobbly at the moment too. Some US interest has helped in the past.

to the entire country who can't move outside a 5km radius.

The phrase "cutting off you nose to spite their face" comes to mind.

Hopefully cases stay below 1k mark but shouldn't be much more over all going well so

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1356621905743200261

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Totally disagree, its the right call for Ireland even if it does annoy people.

Issue as always is peoples inability to take personal responsibility for their actions (regardless of what others are doing) and making false comparisons.

Going to USA to try and garner positive influence with American President is potentially substantially financially rewarding for Ireland Inc. An individual going on holiday abroad is not in anyway helping us on the same scale.

There is a new president friendly to Ireland, I would argue it would be significantly against our interests for our Taoiseach not to go so people can find something else to get annoyed at.

Could nominate an Irish person already over there to do it , like would be an " Irish Ambassador " ...oh wait , we have an Irish Ambassador in America ?

fits wrote: »
    I’m glad Taoiseach is going to Washington. We need to use our advantageous connections. Remember NI is looking wobbly at the moment too. Some US interest has helped in the past.

Just tell Joe the virus situation is dire in Ballina and he will ship a few vaccines our way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Hopefully cases stay below 1k mark but shouldn't be much more over all going well so

Good result with contacts being tested, even the total tests is low-ish which may optimistically mean less demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Decently low positivity again, that's great considering the resumption of close contact testing

Do you think everyone who wishes to leave Ireland wants to head to the Costa del Sol? I find this repeated rubbish to be akin to a wind up.I have work colleagues who have not seen family for almost a year except on Zoom.

Again, they are two completely different things. People who want to do something to meet a personal need versus one leader meeting another to harness relations between countries. These are not comparable in the context you are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Maybe maybe not. The article in the link that you posted doesn`t make a definite case either way. Anyway this is off topic. Is MM definitely categorically going to Washington?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Decently low positivity again, that's great considering the resumption of close contact testing

Surely one should expect the positivity to decrease when we test people based on the fact that they're just a close contact, and have widened the net beyond people who are showing symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I haven’t seen my daughters for a full year now . I would anything to hold her and hug her. I will travel if I can when I can

Again, they are two completely different things. People who want to do something to meet a personal need versus one leader meeting another to harness relations between countries. These are not comparable in the context you are making out.

Not comparable in your opinion nothing more. Martin can postpone until the country/world is in a better place. I'm sure Biden would have the ability to understand. Have the US ambassador present the bowl of weeds and let Martin Zoom call him.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Could nominate an Irish person already over there to do it , like would be an " Irish Ambassador " ...oh wait , we have an Irish Ambassador in America ?
    Not comparable in your opinion nothing more. Martin can postpone until the country/world is in a better place. I'm sure Biden would have the ability to understand. Have the US ambassador present the bowl of weeds and let Martin Zoom call him.

The response is kind of ironic. Some of yee do not want the head of Irelands government to go over to America because it "doesnt look good", its optically sending out the wrong message.

How does it look to the USA and the American president when our leader refuses to meet him and sends a nobody in his place ?

Diplomacy and harnessing relations is more complex then what some of you understand. I cannot harness the same relationship with clients in zoom calls that I do when I am with them personally. As somebody in a sales role (which is what diplomacy can be) its not the same and its not the same sending an employee (ambassador), you look after your top clients yourself.

I understand why it looks bad, but fundamentally disagree with sentiments that its the wrong call. Dont care if Martin is doing it "for his ego", regardless I think an Irish leaders presence at these events is better for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's a good figure today for swabs

Nice to see back to back days under 1000 for the first time in quite a while

Hopefully case numbers will be decent later

Maybe maybe not. The article in the link that you posted doesn`t make a definite case either way. Anyway this is off topic. Is MM definitely categorically going to Washington?

It's you that said it's not a weed. You were wrong accept and move on.

• Advertisement

The response is kind of ironic. Some of yee do not want the head of Irelands government to go over to America because it "doesnt look good", its optically sending out the wrong message.

How does it look to the USA and the American president when our leader refuses to meet him and sends a nobody in his place ?

Diplomacy and harnessing relations is more complex then what some of you understand. I cannot harness the same relationship with clients in zoom calls that I do when I am with them personally. As somebody in a sales role (which is what diplomacy can be) its not the same and its not the same sending an employee (ambassador), you look after your top clients yourself.

I understand why it looks bad, but fundamentally disagree with sentiments that its the wrong call. Dont care if Martin is doing it "for his ego", regardless I think an Irish leaders presence at these events is better for us all.

Refuses to meet him?
    Simple Martin rings Joe. ' Joe bit of a bind here, I won't allow my country men leave the state for a spurious reason. So it looks bad if I do to give you a bowl of weeds. Next year ok?'
    Joe's response ' no problems Micky ( friends) I understand it would look terrible. See you in '22.
    Hypothetical of course.
    Doesn't look good, no it looks absolutely terrible during a pandemic. Zoom, thousands do it everyday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement