Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Drumpot wrote: »
    Again, they are two completely different things. People who want to do something to meet a personal need versus one leader meeting another to harness relations between countries. These are not comparable in the context you are making out.

They're both personal need. MM has dreamt of giving shamrock to a USA president..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

is_that_so wrote: »
    It seems Captain Tom Moore has succumbed to COVID and passed away. Quite a legacy he left at the very end of his life.

Fair play to the man, an inspiration in these times, RIP. I'm glad he got to go to Barbados with his family, I think it was something he had on his bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gael23 wrote: »
    Well 30% of all deaths during the pandemic have occurred in one month so it’s disastrous

Are we accepting that if the virus is widespread in the community, it's going to get into the nursing homes and wreak havoc, or could more have been done to protect these unfortunates?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,850 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Because your wording (based on previous experience) will cause too many to jump the gun.

Of course it wouldn't. There is no false promise or unnecessary hope in what Diamonds wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So sad all fund raising he done with the walking to help with the fight against Covid and it was Covid which stopped him in the end.

In fairness at 100 how much longer could you hope for, COVID is probably a pretty nice way to go at that age compared to cancer or stroke or something.

Seemed like a real gent though and made me very sad to about his passing, very heart warming that he managed to get to Barbados at that age just before his passing, so nice.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Because your wording (based on previous experience) will cause too many to jump the gun.

Would it? I haven't given a timescale in my version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Covid-19: 369 residents died in nursing homes in January, committee hears

I believe a lower percentage of overall covid deaths than in the first wave, but still a pretty terrible total

Still haven't seen anyone attempt to suggest what a reasonable number for this percentage would be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

France has followed Germany in recommendation the AstraZeneca vaccine to only those under 65:

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/02/02/la-haute-autorite-de-sante-recommande-le-vaccin-d-astrazeneca-aux-moins-de-65-ans_6068532_3244.html

"Covid-19: the Higher Authority for Health recommends AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 65
    The HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65", who are however the people most at risk.

The French National Authority for Health (HAS) proposed, Tuesday, February 2, to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to people under the age of 65. In its opinion, the HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65" in the phase 3 trials, carried out by the University of Oxford, which designed the product, and the pharmaceutical company Anglo-Swedish, declared Tuesday, February 2, at a press conference the president of the HAS, Dominique Le Guludec. The High Authority, responsible for advising the government, therefore does not recommend administering it to the elderly, who are the most at risk categories. "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Drumpot wrote: »
    This reminds me of Gorbachov recording footage of himself in a kip of a place to "show the people he is the same as them". A leader of a country is not the same as ordinary Joe, wanting him to "look like he is" quite the contradiction. This is not comparable with a government official taking the piss, its an official state visit to a foreign country. Like others have said, given our rocky relationship with Trump, Brexit and unclear future, I would prefer our government takes opportunities like this whenever they can.

You could argue no politician should be going anywhere and all politics should be done by zoom but its not. So why is this official visit imperative to not happen ?

No it is not an essential visit but I do not see the benefit to the wider society if Martin stays at home. Maybe it makes a few people feel better about themselves but that's it really. Is that the way we want our country run , based on how people feel about how things look?

I work for myself , prob will have to postpone my family holiday to France again but I do not see this topic warranting the kind of attention its getting in here. I see the visit more likely to yield positive relations even if MM and Biden have a bit of a laugh and nothing else (people do business with people they like, thats human nature at all levels). I feel this more so now that Trump is gone and Biden appears to be so positive towards Ireland (strike while the preverbial iron is hot). Maybe when you work for yourself you can see the importance of face to face meetings and harnessing relationships with your most important clients which influences my sentiments on the topic.

We disagree, no need to be arguing to and fro about it .
    My oh is in a multinational which relies on US business too but we are on the same page on this .
    I see the value of the trip as I said , just not now !

Yes , everyone has made sacrifices in the last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Has the 7 day average gone from 6.6 to 6.7 (I know it’s a tiny tiny increase).

I thought with such low numbers it would be down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

BlondeBomb wrote: »

The 7-day slight up-tick is due to the ultra low result from 26th Jan being eliminated.

3-day and 5-day are both down.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1356627301908283398

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1356633795559063559

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Thanks Wickla/Sanjuro

Good to know.

Would it? I haven't given a timescale in my version.

No but you have given a definite percentage .
    He said that they are not sure how high a percentage of vaccinations is needed as yet because of the variable of the variant !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Taken from the RTE site (I know)
    Professor Philip Nolan says 'our lives are not going to return to normal - they're going to get better, but they're not going to return to normal - for some considerable time'. High levels of vaccine-induced immunity will be needed for that to happen

I wonder why he couldn't communicate that in the following way:
    Our lives are going to get better. Full normality will return when we have high levels of vaccine-induced immunity. That would be approx 80% vaccinated.

Because his comment reads as if such immunity is very very far away.

As far I can remember that quote was part of a longer answer to a reporter's question.

Often those quotes that get snipped are part of a wider and more detailed answer, there's often context missing to why they are saying what they are saying and even how they are saying it. Their tone doesn't come across in reports and often tone is crucially important.

I always like the way Philip Nolan answers questions at the briefings, he comes across - at least to me - as quite humane, but honest as well.

I think by answering the first way, as opposed to the more optimistic way he's basically being more honest about the situation.

He can't guarantee for sure if normality will return when we have 80% approx vaccinated - we all hope that's the case, but that's not certain either - and he becomes a hostage to fortune if he states it. On the other hand, he can certainly guarantee that the eventual return to normality will be slow and gradual whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No quarantine news yet.

The government aren't serious about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It means the vaccines are useless.

Mod:

I think the Conspiracy Theory Forum is a better fit for this sort of discussion.

Bring it up again here and you will be threadbanned

Arghus wrote: »
    As far I can remember that quote was part of a longer answer to a reporter's question.

Often those quotes that get snipped are part of a wider and more detailed answer, there's often context missing to why they are saying what they are saying and even how they are saying it. Their tone doesn't come across in reports and often tone is crucially important.

I always like the way Philip Nolan answers questions at the briefings, he comes across - at least to me - as quite humane, but honest as well.

I think by answering the first way, as opposed to the more optimistic way he's basically being more honest about the situation.

He can't guarantee for sure if normality will return when we have 80% approx vaccinated - we all hope that's the case, but that's not certain either - and he becomes a hostage to fortune if he states it. On the other hand, he can certainly guarantee that the eventual return to normality will be slow and gradual whatever happens.

Yes , and I expect to be pulled up for agreeing and adding , that , if Tony Houlihan and Phillip Nolan had come out with more positive statements yesterday as regards this and travel during the Summer they would have been vilified if it didn't come to pass .
    People like Michael O' Leary and Stephen Donnelly can lie at will with impunity as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Maybe this has been posted but I scrolled very quickly through the shamrock is a weed argument..I just like these police dance offs. The Swiss police were a bit more choreographed and rhythmic but the Irish have scenery and horses and cuteness to win out.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1356554527806259200?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

No quarantine news yet.

They are though. They're currently drafting legislation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0202/1194554-politics-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No quarantine news yet.

Legislation needs to be drafted first and that takes time, the timescale would be weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

France has followed Germany in recommendation the AstraZeneca vaccine to only those under 65:

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/02/02/la-haute-autorite-de-sante-recommande-le-vaccin-d-astrazeneca-aux-moins-de-65-ans_6068532_3244.html

"Covid-19: the Higher Authority for Health recommends AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 65
    The HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65", who are however the people most at risk.

The French National Authority for Health (HAS) proposed, Tuesday, February 2, to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to people under the age of 65. In its opinion, the HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65" in the phase 3 trials, carried out by the University of Oxford, which designed the product, and the pharmaceutical company Anglo-Swedish, declared Tuesday, February 2, at a press conference the president of the HAS, Dominique Le Guludec. The High Authority, responsible for advising the government, therefore does not recommend administering it to the elderly, who are the most at risk categories. "

Poland have also announced yesterday the same.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    No but you have given a definite percentage .
    He said that they are not sure how high a percentage of vaccinations is needed as yet because of the variable of the variant !

Then just take away my last sentence.

Arghus wrote: »

That's fair Arghus. I don't want us to be lied to.
    The very thought of life not returning to normal frightens the life out of me is all.

Do you think it will in our lifetimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In addition to the ultra low items dropping off the 7 day average its worth noting that the resumption of testing of close contacts is dragging the positivity rate upwards. Historically the positivity amount cloae contacts is above 10% whatever the rate of disease in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

The very thought of life not returning to normal frightens the life out of me is all.

Yes it will.

We will learn to live with Covid as it moves from pandemic to endemic. Vaccines will speed up the process.

All pandemics pass.

NPHET really need to start injecting some positivity into their statements, they are sucking the life out of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Word of advice , follow the medical advice. Wash your hands etc, but for the sake of your mental health. Ignore RTE and Nphet. They don't have crystal balls.
    Life will return to normal as it has done after every pandemic to date.

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    The 7-day slight up-tick is due to the ultra low result from 26th Jan being eliminated.

3-day and 5-day are both down.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1356627301908283398

Comparative numbers re tests in one day.

https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1356452797424701441?s=20

• Advertisement

Western Australia is large...BUT almost every person there lives in Perth, 2 million live in that city. About half a million live spread out in the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement