Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    Yes it will.

We will learn to live with Covid as it moves from pandemic to endemic. Vaccines will speed up the process.

All pandemics pass.

NPHET really need to start injecting some positivity into their statements, they are sucking the life out of people.
    Word of advice , follow the medical advice. Wash your hands etc, but for the sake of your mental health. Ignore RTE and Nphet. They don't have crystal balls.
    Life will return to normal as it has done after every pandemic to date.

I agree with both of you. Sometimes my hope wanes and I get a momentary feeling of lead in my stomach but I do know it will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

879 cases 101 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Death range 19-103. Very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

879 cases.

101 deaths

Sweet Jesus that’s a savage number who passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,850 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

paulie21 wrote: »
    879 cases 101 deaths
    Death range 19-103. Very sad

:(

RIP

That's high deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Highest number of deaths reported since pandemic began

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Benimar wrote: »
    879 cases.

101 deaths

I hate to say it but its Tuesday deaths are supposed to be high.

Rip to the deceased. Whatever the stats say its still a ****ing bad number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Benimar wrote: »
    879 cases.

101 deaths

83 deaths from January & 18 from February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

is_that_so wrote: »
    Legislation needs to be drafted first and that takes time, the timescale would be weeks.

Not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

leahyl wrote: »
    Highest number of deaths reported since pandemic began

83 happened throughout January - so I don't know what we can take from the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,176 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is very high, number of deaths.
    But spread over a long amount of time seemingly
    A 19yo?! Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the 101 people who died.

Thankfully the cases are down a great bit

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

19 the youngest death in Ireland so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭boardise

Covid-19: 369 residents died in nursing homes in January, committee hears

I believe a lower percentage of overall covid deaths than in the first wave, but still a pretty terrible total

Apparently there are about 570 care homes in Ireland so a total of 369 deaths in a month means an average of less than one death per care home in the month.
    Most deaths will be as a result of clusters so one could deduce that a majority of homes managed to avoid a breakout -quite hard to do so well done to them.
    The Irish care home death rate in January is still only about 44% of the UK's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not good enough.
    When you become Taoiseach you can fix all that! Some light reading for you!

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/how-laws-are-made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    83 happened throughout January - so I don't know what we can take from the number.

This absolute feckology. There are people dying today of Covid who will not be reported til a week or more. This obsessive compulsive playing with the reports to make them seem palatable does my head in. All you have to do is look at 1100 deaths so far since the last day in December and work it out for yourself. 84 is our normal mortality number per day. 1100/30 = 37. That is 37 extra every day for a solid month because we had a total ballsup around Christmas.. But you want to frame the highest rate of death reported in one day as somehow not what it is. It absolutely is what it fecking is.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

marno21 wrote: »
    The B117 variant in the UK (with the N501Y mutation in the spike protein’s RBD) has in 11 instances also acquired the E484K mutation found in the South African variant which appears to reduce the effectiveness of neutralising antibodies.

Vaccine manufacturers will likely start producing booster shots to improve protection against these 2 mutations (they seem to be most effective at evading immune responses as a pair)

Neutralising antibodies are basically antibodies used in a lab to test binding to proteins. Those antibodies won't necessarily be the same antibodies are bodies will produce in response to covid vaccination/future infection. They are a guide to possible effects of these mutations. People should be careful about reading too much into these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Case numbers are under the 1,000, time to get the ruined economy back up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Great number of cases today, numbers are coming down fast. They will have to be low 100s by end of Feb if not 2 digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Awful to see deaths so high. There are a lot of families in mourning right now, my thoughts are with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Cerveza wrote: »
    Case numbers are under the 1,000, time to get the ruined economy back up and running.

They need about 100 a day for track and trace to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm yet to hear a decent argument as to why we'd have more restrictions this summer than last.

Because government policy has failed e.g. they failed to close the borders a year ago and are only starting to do it now that it is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Gruffalux wrote: »
    This absolute feckology. There are people dying today of Covid who will not be reported til a week or more. This obsessive compulsive playing with the reports to make them seem palatable does my head in. All you have to do is look at 1100 deaths so far since the last day in December and work it out for yourself. 84 is our normal mortality number per day. 1100/30 = 37. That is 37 extra every day for a solid month because we had a total ballsup around Christmas.. But you want to frame the highest rate of death reported in one day as somehow not what it is. It absolutely is what it fecking is.

84 is an average across 365 days.

We don’t have a similar death rate in January that we have in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Deaths reported in a simliar way the last few weeks.

Sunday 17/1 - 13
    Monday 18/1 - 8
    Tuesday 19/1 - 93

Total 114

Sunday 24/1 - 23
    Monday 25/1 - 7
    Tuesday 26/1 - 90

Total 120

Sunday 31/1 - 15
    Monday 1/2 - 10
    Tuesday 2/2 - 101

Total 126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Christ, they need to start setting a goal, some optimism. Dr Holohan actually stating that even after vaccinations we need to sit tight with 'public health measures' while they study the disease further for long term implications... This doom and gloom is just going to have people revolt against the current restrictions

Judging by the numbers of cars on the roads and from friends and family, many have already revolted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

84 is an average across 365 days.

We don’t have a similar death rate in January that we have in June.

Oh that's alright then. Sorry, I must have been mistaken that there was a monumental fcuk up re Covid that has resulted in over a thousand deaths in a month and likely several hundred more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Cerveza wrote: »
    Whats ruined about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All the days wasted in starting the vaccine rollout in nursing homes is a disgrace, 9 days from the arrival in Ireland the first person in a nursing home got vaccinated. I can see major legal action on the cards when the dust settles. They knew for months vaccines were coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement